HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Martin to EDM for????

Old
08-01-2012, 12:59 PM
RehnX

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I'm not sure why Pittsburgh fans continue to defend Martin...

I'd take the Hemsky for Martin swap in a heartbeat.
Because, and this is too all the Martin isn't good posts, he IS good. He does NOT fit the Pens system, but he still had a good season in his first year with the team, last season ALL of the defense played bad.

The problem is, fans on here have a short memory, remember prior to last season, whe Malkin was "injury prone" and "on the decline", fans hate to hear this, but the majority of the time they have NO idea what they're talking about.

RehnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt View Post
How about this;

EDM: Martin

PIT: Hemskey, Potter, 2rdp
I expected Penguins fans to be all over this deal, but I guess I was wrong, judging by the replies so far. I think Hemsky for Martin would actually be a good basis for a deal. If anything, Pittsburgh might throw in a mid-level prospect or draft pick.

I'm not a Paul Martin hater either. I wanted the Flyers to get him when he hit UFA.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
That's the problem. He's supposed to be better than average, way better than average on that salary...
He has been. He's been a top-pairing defenseman getting top-pairing minutes pretty much every year since the lockout except for last year, when he was a ****ing travesty.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:03 PM
goosecrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
I'd take Martin, but wouldn't offer much in return for him. Potter & 2013 2nd is about as much as I'd do at this point.
Sold sold sold sold sold sold sold sold sold sold sold.

goosecrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Anderson55

[QUOTE=RyanCallahan24;53181389]That's the problem. He's supposed to be better than average, way better than average on that salary...[/QUOTE]

Tell that to james wisniewski, its just the way it goes with FA dman, matt carle was just overpaid, and 13 yr 96 mil for a off dman that hasnt reached 50 points is another overpayment, but it was needed to get that player in the current market

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
oilWILDcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
He has been. He's been a top-pairing defenseman getting top-pairing minutes pretty much every year since the lockout except for last year, when he was a ****ing travesty.
And Hemsky has been close to PPG for years before last year, why is his value so low after one bad season and Martin's isn't?

I'd rather have Hemsky at 2 years for 5mil per than Martin at 3 years and 5mil. Hemsky signed a short contract here to prove himself that he still wants to stay, he didn't go chasing some long term contract from a desparate team. We're not trading him for Martin, let alone add Potter AND and 2nd.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:26 PM
RyanCallahan24*

[QUOTE=Anderson55;53182737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
That's the problem. He's supposed to be better than average, way better than average on that salary...[/QUOTE]

Tell that to james wisniewski, its just the way it goes with FA dman, matt carle was just overpaid, and 13 yr 96 mil for a off dman that hasnt reached 50 points is another overpayment, but it was needed to get that player in the current market

Suter is superior in every way possible, Martin is Redden compared to Suter rofl...

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:06 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilWILDcountry View Post
And Hemsky has been close to PPG for years before last year, why is his value so low after one bad season and Martin's isn't?

I'd rather have Hemsky at 2 years for 5mil per than Martin at 3 years and 5mil. Hemsky signed a short contract here to prove himself that he still wants to stay, he didn't go chasing some long term contract from a desparate team. We're not trading him for Martin, let alone add Potter AND and 2nd.
The argument, if you wanted to make it, would probably be that Martin had one bad season and Hemsky had one bad season PLUS two seasons almost completely lost to injury. I think, they are both seriously down in their worth and 1-1 might be the fair value in the abstract, but not good enough for either team to do it.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:58 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecrosby View Post
Sold sold sold sold sold sold sold sold sold sold sold.
Potter? Cory Potter?!? LOL, hell no!!

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt View Post
How about this;

EDM: Martin

PIT: Hemskey, Potter, 2rdp

EDM gets the D help they need and PIT gets a top 6 player and a solid bottom D-man. ( could also throw in another prospect from EDM, if needed )
Just say no to trading Hemsky. By this time next year he'll be back to being considered a solid 1st liner.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
The argument, if you wanted to make it, would probably be that Martin had one bad season and Hemsky had one bad season PLUS two seasons almost completely lost to injury. I think, they are both seriously down in their worth and 1-1 might be the fair value in the abstract, but not good enough for either team to do it.
Well he did lose large chunks of those seasons to injury, but he was near ppg in them.

Hemsky has had a 9 year career, excepting the two shoulder injury shortened years, he has missed just over 10 games per year due to injury. The league average is 10 games, so clearly Hemsky is an injury risk, but also clearly the two ill-timed major injuries are making the issue out to be far greater than it most likely is. Getting hurt in TC is a tough break but the year he played only 22 games thats what happened, his injury woes are exaggerated due to when he suffered the injury. For example J.Staal hurt his foot and was injured for 8 months, however due to hurting it at the end of the year he missed far less games than Hemsky who was hurt for less actual time.

This is a player who will most likely play 60-70 games and still be able to contribute for the playoffs. Only twice has he not been good to go by the end of the year, and the one season he shut his season down when the team was clearly going nowhere so who knows how long he could have played that year if it made sense for him to. Last season he spent some time on the IR to continue his shoulder rehab, and 2 games for a flu so basically last year he never suffered any new injuries.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Well he did lose large chunks of those seasons to injury, but he was near ppg in them.

Hemsky has had a 9 year career, excepting the two shoulder injury shortened years, he has missed just over 10 games per year due to injury. The league average is 10 games, so clearly Hemsky is an injury risk, but also clearly the two ill-timed major injuries are making the issue out to be far greater than it most likely is. Getting hurt in TC is a tough break but the year he played only 22 games thats what happened, his injury woes are exaggerated due to when he suffered the injury. For example J.Staal hurt his foot and was injured for 8 months, however due to hurting it at the end of the year he missed far less games than Hemsky who was hurt for less actual time.

This is a player who will most likely play 60-70 games and still be able to contribute for the playoffs. Only twice has he not been good to go by the end of the year, and the one season he shut his season down when the team was clearly going nowhere so who knows how long he could have played that year if it made sense for him to. Last season he spent some time on the IR to continue his shoulder rehab, and 2 games for a flu so basically last year he never suffered any new injuries.
As I said, I don't see a huge value gap between the players and I DID mention that the lost years were due to injury, just pointing out that IF one was arguing Martin > Hemsky, one would probably cite that Hemsky's last good full season lies further in the past. *shrugs* I am not questioning Hemsky's talent here, only his trade value.

As for JStaal, people on here have called him injury prone before, but I think two unrelated freak occurances after accidents in play/practice isn't the same as having a pronounced weakness (shoulders) flaring up repeatedly. I'd rather liken Hemsky to Dave Bolland and his back issues or something like that.

In the end I am mostly stating that both Martin and Hemsky are players you'd be taking a flyer on right now and apparently both Pittsburgh and Edmonton would rather stick with the risk they got instead of exchanging projects, but facts are not hugely in favor of either player being >>> the other.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
rockinghockey

I am expecting Hemsky to come in healthy this year for the first time in years. We will see come the deadline what people will be offering for Hemsky. Martin is not the type of dman that I am going to pay for. I would take him but not for much, like a 4th round pick. Three years with that cap hit does not help.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote