HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Prospect Poll: #10

View Poll Results: Who is our #10 prospect?
RW Shane McColgan 7 9.72%
C Oscar Lindberg 24 33.33%
C Steven Fogarty 17 23.61%
D Sam Noreau 1 1.39%
C Boo Nieves 17 23.61%
LW Marek Hrivik 6 8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Noreau.
Also, please add Ceresnak.
Noreau is interesting to me. He's very raw, but physical, a good fighter and big.

The question is his mobility and whether he will be able to transition his game to the pro level. But he's another player who has some very likeable elements to his game.

Hockey sense is a concern, but there is some hope that maybe he could be a long-term project, aka a Stu Bickel.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:33 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Voted McColgan again, and again calling for Andersson to be added. I'll take both Andersson and Ceresnak over Noreau.

Like others have stated, I'm in pretty stark disagreement with the consensus on the vast majority of these. Much more so than in previous years. A byproduct of the organizational move toward drafting for raw physical ability in higher rounds rather than distinct mental preparedness, I suppose.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:54 PM
kovazub94

Voted Fogarty again (and it looks like it made a three-way tie).

Is there a knock on him due to the development path he's chosen?

Add Andersson.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
It's a product of good drafting and good developing.

When you produce talent, it's easier to take flyers on guys who are a "hit or miss" kind of prospects.

I think we have to draft hit-or-miss guys next year because we won't have the prospect depth in a year that we have been used to having since the rebuild began in 2004.

Our top 2 prospects (Kreider and Hagelin) will graduate. Another top prospect (Erixon) was just traded. We also will not have our first rounder next year, and this year we already didn't have a #3, #6 and #7. A few (Wellman, Thuresson, MZA and Chard Johnson) left.

Every year some prospects prove that they have no NHL future. In the last year, it was guys like Pashnin, Valentenko, Parlett and Wilson. In the next year, I can definitely see guys like Bourque, Ceresnak, Missiaen or Stajcer, and some other guys to become non-prospects.

We will have a small pool of prospects of 3 good prospects (McIlrath, Miller, Skjei); 3-4 high-risk ones (Thomas, Fast, St. Croix, Hrivik), 4-5 second-tier prospects guys (Yogan, Fogarty, Lindberg, Nieves, McColgan) and another 3-4 suspects (Noreau, Ceresnak and/or Andersson, Bourque and/or Spelling), our whole prospect pool before the 2013 will be about 13-15 guys, and let's keep in mind that we won't our first rounder.

We will need to swing for the fences. I want more guys like St. Croix, Thomas and Fast, as well as a couple of big defensemen like Noreau in the later rounds.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Hrivik, again. Add Andersson.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Lindberg. Add Andersson.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I think we have to draft hit-or-miss guys next year because we won't have the prospect depth in a year that we have been used to having since the rebuild began in 2004.

Our top 2 prospects (Kreider and Hagelin) will graduate. Another top prospect (Erixon) was just traded. We also will not have our first rounder next year, and this year we already didn't have a #3, #6 and #7. A few (Wellman, Thuresson, MZA and Chard Johnson) left.

Every year some prospects prove that they have no NHL future. In the last year, it was guys like Pashnin, Valentenko, Parlett and Wilson. In the next year, I can definitely see guys like Bourque, Ceresnak, Missiaen or Stajcer, and some other guys to become non-prospects.

We will have a small pool of prospects of 3 good prospects (McIlrath, Miller, Skjei); 3-4 high-risk ones (Thomas, Fast, St. Croix, Hrivik), 4-5 second-tier prospects guys (Yogan, Fogarty, Lindberg, Nieves, McColgan) and another 3-4 suspects (Noreau, Ceresnak and/or Andersson, Bourque and/or Spelling), our whole prospect pool before the 2013 will be about 13-15 guys, and let's keep in mind that we won't our first rounder.

We will need to swing for the fences. I want more guys like St. Croix, Thomas and Fast, as well as a couple of big defensemen like Noreau in the later rounds.
I think the Rangers will probably keep going with the approach that has worked well for them - a balanced drafting approach.

I'm not terribly concerned because I think the Rangers strength is not necessarily having guys that scream superstars coming through the ranks. It's producing steady, hard-working guys who look like legit NHL'ers. Not having a first rounder next year hurts, but they also have also picks in other rounds with which to work.

If trends continue, and the Rangers continue to find between 1-3 guys in every draft who look like legit prospects and play in the NHL, they'll be okay.

While there might not be another Kreider or McD in the system at the moment, there's a high probability that there are guys who emerge on a Stepan or Dubinsky like way. We also have to remember how relatively young this team is. Girardi is the old man of our defense at 28, and the forward ranks feature Hagelin, Kreider, Callahan, Stepan, Nash and Boyle who are all 28 and younger.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Zil

Nieves, add Andersson.

Zil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:54 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Fogarty. Add Andersson.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
McColgan... Has a lot of potential and is massively underrated. Not the size of a typical NHL star, but he has the strength and determination to go a long way. I've followed him since he was rated a top5 pick for the 2011 draft and even got to see some Kelowna games.

He had a bad 6 months prior to the 2011 draft, which resulted in him being a low pick but his talent has not disappeared overnight.

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post

Add Andersson.
Not a knock, really. He has raw ability, but his performance offensively in the BCHL didn't blow anyone away. If he performs well at Notre Dame, he'll shoot up the list quickly. I think we just need to see him against better competition.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post

Add Andersson.
Fogarty is very raw. As nyr2k2 pointed out, his numbers in the BCHL weren't mind blowing which has kept his stock a little lower than it could have been.

However, a big knock on him when he was drafted was his defensive zone play. The good news is that he made HUGE strides in that side of his game this year. He really put his nose to the grindstone and turned himself into a 200ft player. The offense is there. The size is there. Now the defensive coverage is there. If he can put all of the pieces together, we're looking at a David Backes type of player, IMO. Probably not quite as willing to drop the mitts, but very similar players none the less.

Probably one of the most intriguing prospects in our system, but also very far away from the NHL.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Went with Lindberg.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Nieves has a great set of wheels. But he has to show me has the hands and the hockey sense to compliment the speed before I am willing to rank him in the top 10. He's another guy who could go either way. This time next year he could be an afterthought, or he could be in the top 5.
If anyone can get the best out of player IMO it's Red Berenson--Nieves is a guy with skills who maybe has to construct a tool kit. Hagelin is a good example of what Berenson can do with a player. A guy like Nieves--if he puts his game together could be really dangerous.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If anyone can get the best out of player IMO it's Red Berenson--Nieves is a guy with skills who maybe has to construct a tool kit. Hagelin is a good example of what Berenson can do with a player. A guy like Nieves--if he puts his game together could be really dangerous.
I guess my biggest question marks with Nieves is that I find his hands and overall thought process to be lacking. I'm not sure that can be taught.

I'll compare him to a guy like Kreider. Both guys have great wheels, nice frames and were not drafted our of juniors or college. However, Kreider showed that his hands and thought process were strong, or at the very least wouldn't hinder him. My feeling was that a good coach would take what was already there and harness the talent. I don't know if I can say that about Nieves, at least not without a fair amount of doubt. Even with a good coach, I just think his skating is faster than anything else he brings to the table, thus potentially limiting his scoring ability (at least at the higher levels).

However, I fully admit that there simply isn't a big enough sample size for me to say that he will never be a pro level scoring threat. I just think that the signs point to more of a Sjostrom type.

It's similar to how I view Hagelin as more of a Dean McAmmond type.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
McColgan... Has a lot of potential and is massively underrated. Not the size of a typical NHL star, but he has the strength and determination to go a long way. I've followed him since he was rated a top5 pick for the 2011 draft and even got to see some Kelowna games.

He had a bad 6 months prior to the 2011 draft, which resulted in him being a low pick but his talent has not disappeared overnight.
For me McColgan is a disappointment and I feel like I keep downgrading my projections almost as fast as he keeps downgrading his production.

Heading into the 2010 season, he was seen as a potential top pick who could really be a dynamic offensive player. Bad six months or not, it soon became clear that he was more of a support guy who could bring energy and scoring to the table.

A disappointing follow-up season later, and we now have a player who really doesn't look that much different than he did two years ago, has seen his production slip and doesn't appear to even consistently be that energy guy who sets the tone for a good team. And this was after he was already downgraded to that kind of projection.

There's no reason why he can't be a Ryan Callahan type, but three years into his juniors career I just don't see him harnessing his talents fully. In some ways, he's almost the anti-Callahan in terms of his development. Whereas Callahan scratched and clawed and used an extra year of juniors to turn himself into a bonafide prospect, expectations for McColgan seem to keep being adjusted downward.

I want to like McColgan, but the results aren't there yet and he's in danger of becoming a "yeah but" prospect where we end up finding excuses for his lack of stepping up. Rarely does that turn out well, nor does it tend to produce an NHL quality player.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
E-Train

Fogarty, add Andersson.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Still going with Lindberg, who I think is the most likely of this bunch to take a regular shift in the NHL.

McColgan has the most overall potential of anyone on this list, but man, to watch him in juniors is to understand the word "frustration." He should be a player in the Callahan mold, but he doesn't work like a player in the Callahan mold.

Fogarty is a player who is a little further out, but he could really jump in the rankings as he goes up in competition. Good size, good creativity, reminds me a little of Zajac.

Man is Brady Skjei underrated at #7.
Going with Lindberg, too. I had Yogan just a TINY bit ahead of him. Both Yogan and Lindberg should be decent bottom 6ers.

I have Fogarty going next, followed by Nieves.

And yeah. Skjei is ridiculously underrated. It's just that some people were miffed that we drafted another D and couldn't bother to think properly about how good of a prospect he actually is. If we can get something like a Bret Hedican out of him? Wow. A prime Bret Hedican would be amazing for this team.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I think it would make sense to do a 3-way tie-breaker: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1240459

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Went with McColgan, I think he'll turn out to be a steal... Add Andersson

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote