Notices

Dallas Stars 2012 Draft Scouting Reports

Old
06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Vant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I think that's actually a great point. Nearly all of Dallas' Swedes and Finns (oh yeah and one Dane) spent their 18-20 year old seasons in Sweden/Finland.

That's obviously something the team is very comfortable with, and Bystrom going to the OHL would be out of the norm.

Just wondering ... and you might not know this because he's a Swede ... Why did Landeskog go the CHL route? He's one of the higher profile Swedes I can think of who made that jump. A better question I guess would be why did Olli Maatta come to the OHL?
Landeskog did choose the CHL for developmental reasons, I would guess the major increase in playing-time compared to the SEL was the main motivation.

Furthermore Landeskog did play youth hockey (U11-U14) or something like that with Nemeth. Hammarby team 92 was probably the best team in their age group in Sweden for a couple of years.

Vant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

- Organization is comfortable with players remaining in Europe.

- Just waiting for a response from the Whalers if Bystrom is coming over, should find out by the time the draft review is published. Other sources might beat me to it though...

- Been on the phone a lot of day today and yesterday gathering information from around the leagues...been getting a lot of ringing endorsements of your picks (not too uncommon). I'm not one to endorse players that I haven't seen, and I may retract this down the line and I don't want to get anyone too excited...but it's pronounced Sih-NEET-syn, you might want to start practicing that now...

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Can I pronounce it ****son? Also are we doing our prospect rankings after the development camp? I'm really ready to see some hockey and may have to make time to go to Frisco one of those days.

Mike,

Are you mainly focusing on the recently drafted guys or have you been getting any reports on some of last year's class too? An update on some of those guys would be cool too.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:06 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
I don't know why, but I think he'll end up being a Zubov-lite. That's a gut feeling, though, don't hold me to it.

And I can't be the only one thinking they see a tiny bit of Zubov in him.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 05:59 PM
usefulfiction

that has to be rare, finding a potential diamond in the rough in the 7th round?

usefulfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Can I pronounce it ****son? Also are we doing our prospect rankings after the development camp? I'm really ready to see some hockey and may have to make time to go to Frisco one of those days.

Mike,

Are you mainly focusing on the recently drafted guys or have you been getting any reports on some of last year's class too? An update on some of those guys would be cool too.
Primary focus on the recently-drafted guys now because that's what's hot and there's an article coming up on them. Have had conversations recently regarding other recent-but-not-so-recent draft picks, pertinent stuff that doesn't make it into an article will be dropped in here. But really, a lot of it is just re-affirmation of things that I've already written or you guys otherwise already know about.

Former prospect related: Ondrej Roman wasn't given a qualifying offer by Florida, so he's free to return to Vitkovice. At least he's home now. If frequent flyer miles were redeemable for cash, he'd have enough money to feed Modano's dogs by now...

@above comment: I don't want to start setting off fireworks because there's no telling whether these kids will be in the NHL ever. But this organization is getting better and better at finding late-round talent. And this kid was right under their nose...and he didn't play a game for 9 months or thereabouts either...

I did the Detroit draft preview and I said,
Quote:
No Detroit draft preview would be complete without mentioning Hakan Andersson or the term "late round gems". With that out of the way, the last handful of measurable Red Wings drafts haven't seen a ton of promise come out of the late rounds. Since Henrik Zetterberg was drafted before the century turned, the Red Wings have really only cultivated Jonathan Ericsson and Darren Helm from the deepest depths of the draft (though, the jury is still out on Jan Mursak's future). Other teams are starting to catch up in their ability to cultivate talent from the late rounds...
I obviously couldn't state that the other team was this one...but it was a direct reference to the Dallas organization. And kind of a dig at the Detroit reputation (though grounded in truth) and I'm kinda surprised it wasn't left on the cutting room floor...

Last edited by Mike Farkas: 06-28-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
If frequent flyer miles were redeemable for cash, he'd have enough money to feed Modano's dogs by now...

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:51 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Some solid, thoughtful answers from 2nd round pick Devin Shore.

Quote:
However, he is steadfast in his belief that being a second-round pick, 61st overall by the Dallas Stars, is just another step en route to his ultimate goal.

"It's very exciting, but to put it into perspective, it shows how much work is left to be done. So many players get drafted. It's a benchmark in that you've done as well to get to this point, but there is still so much work to be done and I am looking forward to starting the next chapter in the whole process," Shore said in an interview, two days after being chosen by the Stars at the 2012 entry draft in Pittsburgh.

Those thoughts are very similar to the one's he had almost immediately after hearing his name called.

"The first thought that came to mind, to be completely honest with you, was there's still so much to be done. I mean Dallas took four centremen just in that draft alone and you think about the fact there are guys like that drafted every year," the Whitby Fury forward said. "There's a new class every year ... This is out of the way and now it's back to reality. Back to work."

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Captain Awesome

Mike, maybe it didn't make the cutting room floor because it'll whip up a bit of controversy and get people to read? I hear they like 'hits' on the internet websites nowadays.

Those quotes from Shore make me think he's a boss, and one who is willing to do anything to make his dream come true. He sounds like a grounded, driven kid.

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:18 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

USA Hockey is hosting a 4 team camp/tournament this August in preparation for the U-20 WJC. Finland and Sweden will attend, and the US will ice two teams.

Esa Lindell has been selected to represent Finland.

Sweden has named a 34 man roster to attend a camp in Sweden in late July where they will face the Czech U-20 team. That roster will be trimmed to 22 players for the Lake Placid event. Emil Molin and Ludwig Bystrom have made the preliminary roster.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:28 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
USA Hockey is hosting a 4 team camp/tournament this August in preparation for the U-20 WJC. Finland and Sweden will attend, and the US will ice two teams.

Esa Lindell has been selected to represent Finland.

Sweden has named a 34 man roster to attend a camp in Sweden in late July where they will face the Czech U-20 team. That roster will be trimmed to 22 players for the Lake Placid event. Emil Molin and Ludwig Bystrom have made the preliminary roster.
I found an article confirming Radek Faksa will participate in the games against Sweden.

It also seems the U20 Czech team will play a few games against the minor Russian league on August 7th, 8th, and 9th.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:05 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

I found the schedule for the Swedish camp in Norrtälje, Sweden, and Lake Placid, NY.

They have an inter-squad game tomorrow at 11 AM Central. I haven't found a breakdown of Team Yellow or Team Blue.

Old
07-30-2012, 11:31 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

I just noticed while looking at prospects for the Top 20 vote that this year more so than it seems in past, Dallas' group of prospects is pretty evenly distributed between the major developmental leagues.

QMJHL
Lagace, Maxime (Prince Edward Island)
Vance, Troy (Victoriaville)

OHL
Faksa, Radek (Kitchener)
Ritchie, Brett (Niagara)
Smith, Gemel (Owen Sound)

WHL
Stransky, Matej (Saskatoon)
Troock, Branden (Seattle)
Winther, Mike (Prince Albert)

NCAA
Guptill, Alex (Michigan)
McKenzie, Curtis (Miami)
Winkler, Scott (Colorado College)
Shore, Devin (Maine)
Sinitsyn, Dmitry (UMass-Lowell)

Sweden
Bystrom, Ludwig (MODO)
Klingberg, John (Skellefteå AIK)
Molin, Emil (Brynäs)

Finland
Jokipakka, Jyrki (Ilves)
Kiviaho, Henri (KalPa)
Lindell, Esa (Jokerit)

It would also seem piqued is in for a heck of a season tracking NA player stats. The list was pretty long last year, but this seems bigger if I'm not mistaken.

Old
07-31-2012, 12:27 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
Yeah, there are simply more prospects now in the system. This is what happens when you save your picks and get more than 4 or 5 guys each draft. Troock will be the annoying one since his games are going to end late.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 09:23 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Update on the first Blue/Yellow game in Sweden:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Sweden Yellow - Sweden Blue 5-6

0-1 Filip Forsberg
0-2 Max Görtz (Jakob Lilja)
0-3 Erik Karlsson (Ludwig Byström)
1-3 Emil Molin (Hampus Lindholm)
1-4 Filip Forsberg
2-4 Viktor Arvidsson
3-4 Emil Lundberg
4-4 Mika Zibanejad (Jonatan Nielsen)
4-5 Filip Forsberg (Erik Karlsson)
4-6 Oscar Klefbom
5-6 Malte Strömwall (Hampus Lindholm, Emil Lundberg)

Old
07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

You should be able to follow live if you want here tomorrow for the game against the Czechs.

Game starts at 11 AM Central.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Ludwig Bystrom is playing on the top D pair Oscar Klefbom. Unfortunately, Radek Faksa and Emil Molin do not seem to be playing today.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:16 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
Ludwig Bystrom is playing on the top D pair Oscar Klefbom. Unfortunately, Radek Faksa and Emil Molin do not seem to be playing today.
why would Faksa be there...? Is it all of Europe, not just Sweden?

Old
08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
why would Faksa be there...? Is it all of Europe, not just Sweden?
Swedes are playing two warmup games against the Czechs in Sweden before coming to Lake Placid later this week.

Radek Faksa was listed on the pre-camp roster for the Czechs. After these two games in Sweden, the Czechs play 3 or 4 games against some minor league Russian teams.

1st games is over and Sweden won 7-1. Bystrom picked up an assist.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

Quote:
Swedes are playing two warmup games against the Czechs in Sweden before coming to Lake Placid later this week.

Radek Faksa was listed on the pre-camp roster for the Czechs. After these two games in Sweden, the Czechs play 3 or 4 games against some minor league Russian teams.

1st games is over and Sweden won 7-1. Bystrom picked up an assist.
Oh I didn't realize it was a big tournament.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:21 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Oh I didn't realize it was a big tournament.
Yeah it sounds like a pretty fun tournament in Lake Placid. The U.S. will have two teams going up against Finland and Sweden.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:08 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

The link below indicates Radek Faksa will not attend games in Sweden or Russia over the next two weeks for the U20 Czech team.

Link Here

Instead of using the translation from Google Translate which is a bit choppy, I figured it be easier to just try and summarize it:

Radek Faksa upon advisement from the Dallas Stars decided to skip the Czech U20 games against Sweden and several Russian teams over the next 2 weeks.

The head coach for the U20 is claiming Radek Faksa made no effort to contact the team and inform them of the decision or offer an apology for his absence.

Faksa's Czech agent claims the player had little say in the decision. Instead, because of his busy summer at Dallas' prospect camp and his coming camp in Kitchener, the Stars along with the Czech and North American agent for Faksa ultimately made the decision the player would be overworked attending another summer camp. The agent does seem to indicate that Faksa, since he's under contract with Dallas, is just following the wishes of the team.

At this point, the U20 coach is saying they are not making a rash decision to expel Faksa from the WJC squad, but the tone of the article seems to indicate they are far from pleased with him.

Good thing Dallas signed Jagr because that thread led me to some Czech posters. I passed the link on to them along with my summary in hopes they could take a moment to make sure I got the correct information from Google Translate. If something didn't translate correctly I'll let you know.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:15 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

The one thing I'll add is it'll be a damn shame if both Radek Faksa and Matej Stransky don't play for the Czech Republic next January.

I don't think it's biased as a Dallas fan to say those are two top Czechs in the U20 age group. Call me crazy, but I don't buy that Faksa would do something as disrespectful as the coach seems to be making this out. I'd be absolutely shocked if he's not exaggerating that they just showed up in Sweden expecting Faksa there and he didn't show up. That seems to be what the article is indicating.

I would never expect Faksa, the Dallas Stars, or Allan Walsh (his NA agent) to allow that to happen. They all have better reputations than to do something like that.

I don't want to even get started on Stransky though. We can all agree that's a ridiculous scenario where the Czechs are just hurting themselves. The Swedes learned and stopped that stupid policy of turning their backs on guys in NA. The Czech's will hopefully eventually get over the ridiculous requirement for the player to have a contract with a Czech team.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Quote:
The one thing I'll add is it'll be a damn shame if both Radek Faksa and Matej Stransky don't play for the Czech Republic next January.

I don't think it's biased as a Dallas fan to say those are two top Czechs in the U20 age group. Call me crazy, but I don't buy that Faksa would do something as disrespectful as the coach seems to be making this out. I'd be absolutely shocked if he's not exaggerating that they just showed up in Sweden expecting Faksa there and he didn't show up. That seems to be what the article is indicating.

I would never expect Faksa, the Dallas Stars, or Allan Walsh (his NA agent) to allow that to happen. They all have better reputations than to do something like that.

I don't want to even get started on Stransky though. We can all agree that's a ridiculous scenario where the Czechs are just hurting themselves. The Swedes learned and stopped that stupid policy of turning their backs on guys in NA. The Czech's will hopefully eventually get over the ridiculous requirement for the player to have a contract with a Czech team.
Agreed 10000000000000%

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:22 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Molin didn't make today's roster against the Czechs. Unless Molin has a minor injury, the fact that he didn't get in a game against the Czech's probably means he's not coming to Lake Placid. He'd have to be considered a long shot at this point for the WJC too, and he'll likely need a big early start to the season to change their mind.

Bystrom is in the lineup again today, but he'll take a lesser role today as the 7th D according to the pre-game lineup.