HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dallas - Detroit

Old
08-01-2012, 01:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Dallas - Detroit

Receive:

Teemu Pulkkinen
2013 2nd Round Pick

Receive:

Reilly Smith

Why Dallas does this - We've got more than few great wing prospects who're all looking like they could crack the NHL line-up. Only problem I see is that we only really have one playmaker in that pool in Glennie, and most of the others are snipers. While Pulkkinen isn't a pure playmaker, he's probably better than anyone in our pool, currently. We'd have a more balanced pool in the end, but Smith is definitely a bit better and more NHL ready, so we get an extra pick to make up the difference.

Why Detroit does this - They get a young sniper with a good two-way game who could step in as early as next year in a top 6 role. He'd lessen the sting of moving a guy like Franzen in a trade (not sure what the rumors are now), but he could also use some seasoning in the AHL. They'd also unite the Smith brothers, which could only be beneficial for both.

I don't see this ever happening, just trying to gauge the value and thought it'd be neat to see the Smith's play together. Don't think we have the assets to acquire Brenden, though. That, and I'm really bored.

See Post #7 for New Proposal

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 08-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.
LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Pulkkinen is getting more hype lately, so a 2nd rounder is too steep. Both guys have about the same potential and pedigree right now.

But I'd made this trade, adjusting that pick somehow, because watching R. Smith in college has been a joy and I'd jump at the chance to add him with the brother connection.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:47 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Receive:

Teemu Pulkkinen
2013 2nd Round Pick

Receive:

Reilly Smith

Why Dallas does this - We've got more than few great wing prospects who're all looking like they could crack the NHL line-up. Only problem I see is that we only really have one playmaker in that pool in Glennie, and most of the others are snipers. While Pulkkinen isn't a pure playmaker, he's probably better than anyone in our pool, currently. We'd have a more balanced pool in the end, but Smith is definitely a bit better and more NHL ready, so we get an extra pick to make up the difference.

Why Detroit does this - They get a young sniper with a good two-way game who could step in as early as next year in a top 6 role. He'd lessen the sting of moving a guy like Franzen in a trade (not sure what the rumors are now), but he could also use some seasoning in the AHL. They'd also unite the Smith brothers, which could only be beneficial for both.

I don't see this ever happening, just trying to gauge the value and thought it'd be neat to see the Smith's play together. Don't think we have the assets to acquire Brenden, though. That, and I'm really bored.
Not going to happen. Smith is a nice prospect but Pulks stock is beginning to go up considerably. Last year fans were somewhat cool on him. The wings brass is quite high on Pulk and after our last prospect camp it is looking like he has what it takes to make the NHL. He showed up to camp surprisingly mature and played gritty enough for NA Hockey. The age difference is 1 year between Pulk and Smith. Wings have 16 signed NHL Forwards for 2012 and 19 if you want to catch fringe AHLer prospects.

Detroit is willing to move him but you have him valued real low. I would say the difference between both players is pretty similar. (Edge Smith). A 2nd is too much. I would argue Smith is worth a mid 1st to high 2nd.

Smith for Pulk+4th tops

For reference I am considering Smith a similar prospect value wise to Nyquist another big time NCAA Scorer that is more NHL ready than Smith. The difference between Nyquist and Pulk is not a 2nd.

If you want a playmaker Tartar might be more your speed. Same age as Smith similar value to Pulk. I would be worried there is a chance he ends up as a tweener but kid has work ethic (but no greater than Pulk becoming a bust). He is better defensively, grittier, and a better passer than Pulk. That said no wings prospect is a better sniper than Pulk (save maybe FRK).

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:48 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

I'd do it if the pick was a 5th rounder

sully61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

I'd do this trade. Or at least a variation of it. Hmm... interesting. I'm not as enamored as I was with Pulk as I was this time last season, and I'd be all on board if it was:

DAL
Pulkkinen
2nd

DET
Smith
3rd

As far as everything else though... it seems like Fil is the guy DET is using as a lynchpin for their trading hopes. Franzen just has a much tougher contract to move and I don't think there is any express interest in him. But gaining a more proven prospect is always a good thing.

Also, there is basically nothing any team can give Detroit, with in reason, that will get them to give up Smith. Sorry

Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Ishad

With similar upsides, I imagine the wings stick with the right handed shooter.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:57 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Not going to happen. Smith is a nice prospect but Pulks stock is beginning to go up considerably. Last year fans were somewhat cool on him. The wings brass is quite high on Pulk and after our last prospect camp it is looking like he has what it takes to make the NHL. He showed up to camp surprisingly mature and played gritty enough for NA Hockey. The age difference is 1 year between Pulk and Smith. Wings have 16 signed NHL Forwards for 2012 and 19 if you want to catch fringe AHLer prospects.

Detroit is willing to move him but you have him valued real low. I would say the difference between both players is pretty similar. (Edge Smith). A 2nd is too much. I would argue Smith is worth a mid 1st to high 2nd.

Smith for Pulk+4th tops

For reference I am considering Smith a similar prospect value wise to Nyquist another big time NCAA Scorer that is more NHL ready than Smith. The difference between Nyquist and Pulk is not a 2nd.

If you want a playmaker Tartar might be more your speed. Same age as Smith similar value to Pulk. I would be worried there is a chance he ends up as a tweener but kid has work ethic (but no greater than Pulk becoming a bust). He is better defensively, grittier, and a better passer than Pulk. That said no wings prospect is a better sniper than Pulk (save maybe FRK).
Forgot about Tatar. To be honest, I think I'd rather have him, and I'd be willing to add a 3rd.

New Proposal

Receive:

Tomas Tatar
2013 2nd Round Pick

Receive:

Reilly Smith
2013 3rd Round Pick

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 08-01-2012 at 02:04 PM.
LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post

Smith for Pulk+4th tops

9/10 gms would do that trade in a heartbeat

the others would stop and think about it before doing it

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Forgot about Tatar. To be honest, I think I'd rather have him, and I'd be willing to add a 3rd.

Receive:

Tomas Tatar
2013 2nd Round Pick

Receive:

Reilly Smith
2013 3rd Round Pick
Tatar is a top 5 prospect for the Wings and has done very well in the AHL. I guess I'm confused why the Wings would have to upgrade the Stars draft pick when Tatar has proven more at a higher level. They were drafted at almost identical times, too, in 2009.

But it's ballpark.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
ScubaSteve*

You might as well propose Vlad Konstantinov for Roman Lyashenko. The Stars and Wings don't trade with each other.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Pulk < R. Smith(slightly)
Tatar > R. Smith(slightly)

But this is again, a very reasonable and doable trade. I'd feel better if the picks were swapped, but if this was absolutely what it came down to, I would do it. And I really like Tatar. This is a good hockey deal, both teams have to give to get.

This actually would be a good hypothetical ice breaker for a much larger deal, IMO.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
You might as well propose Vlad Konstantinov for Roman Lyashenko. The Stars and Wings don't trade with each other.
Wings don't trade period.

Unless it's for former Wings.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Wings don't trade period.

Unless it's for former Wings.
Don't forget that KH is a masochist and must punish himself for ever letting a former Wings player go. An overpayment is a MUST.

He must be kicking himself right now for letting Villie Leino and Kyle Quincey leave.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post
Don't forget that KH is a masochist and must punish himself for ever letting a former Wings player go. An overpayment is a MUST.

He must be kicking himself right now for letting Villie Leino and Kyle Quincey leave.
I am sure the papers are all ready prepared to bring Villie back. 2013 first?

Old
08-01-2012, 03:55 PM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Tatar is a top 5 prospect for the Wings and has done very well in the AHL. I guess I'm confused why the Wings would have to upgrade the Stars draft pick when Tatar has proven more at a higher level. They were drafted at almost identical times, too, in 2009.

But it's ballpark.
I do not have a huge problem with it. Tartar is more of a sure thing than Smith, but Smith has more size/attributes and NA which is helpful for Detroit. Their offensive upside is probably similar. Smith is a year younger so we could bury him in the AHL for an extra year.

Its a wash.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MGoBlue2 View Post
Umm... no. Leino was a disaster in Detroit; if you hadn't noticed, the only roster players KH ever trades are those who are lazy and/or in possession of a terrible attitude, and Leino had both. Quincey played himself off the roster in 2008. He was unremarkable in comparison to Ericsson and Meech.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote