HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Prospect Poll 2012- #4

View Poll Results: New Jersey Devils Prospect Ranking- #4
Graham Black 1 1.49%
Brandon Burlon 1 1.49%
Reid Boucher 2 2.99%
Blake Coleman 0 0%
Seth Helgeson 0 0%
Keith Kinkaid 0 0%
Stefan Matteau 17 25.37%
Reese Scarlett 1 1.49%
Damon Severson 1 1.49%
Alex Urbom 44 65.67%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-01-2012, 02:09 PM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
Why is the idea of our most recent #1 pick as our #5 prospect cringe worthy?

I mean, we are talking overall potential here, and not who is the closest to the NHL, correct?

Granted, given how little we have seen of the newest draftees, I don't think anyone here has a real good grasp on the type of player Matteau is, but I would sure hope he's a better prospect then Urbom. No offense to Urbom and all, but has he stepped up to the point where u think he'll be better then a recent #1 pick?

So sure, I'll roll with Mytoe here.
If anything that's backwards and Matteau is a safe NHL player with an upside of max 2nd line powerfoward with a higher chance of him being a 3rd line big grinder. Like Clarkson.

Clarkson mold before the 30g season is our #5 prospect.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
If anything that's backwards and Matteau is a safe NHL player with an upside of max 2nd line powerfoward with a higher chance of him being a 3rd line big grinder. Like Clarkson.

Whoever said Matteau is like Clarkie is wrong. Matteau is a good skater, much better than Clarkie. Matteau is no where as close to Clarkie in terms of fighting. Matteau has much more hockey sense than Clarkie has/had.

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Urbom.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:30 PM
devilsblood

Quote:

So not only is he clarkson level, but we can't even include Clarkson's 30 goal season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Whoever said Matteau is like Clarkie is wrong. Matteau is a good skater, much better than Clarkie. Matteau is no where as close to Clarkie in terms of fighting. Matteau has much more hockey sense than Clarkie has/had.
I'll take a better skating clarkson late in the first rnd of every single draft. Throw in better hockey sense(hard to judge imo, but the skating shouldn't be hard) and yeah as a #5 prospect, I'm down.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
CerebralGenesis

Well I think Clarksons 30 goal season was a massive fluke so feel free to include any flukes along the way.

If a Clarkson clone is our #5, then it makes sense we are in the bottom 5 for NHL prospects.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
CerebralGenesis

What does "no where as close to Clarkson in terms of fighting" mean?

46GP 15G 17A 32P 166PIM is his stat line and the. So he either gets lots of penalties or something is wrong with the USHL's rule system.

Forget he is a first round pick because that doesn't matter once players are in the pool. Definitely glad we did draft Severson this year though.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Kensu

I think Matteau will be more of a consistent Clarkson with 30 goals a season.

Kensu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:49 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Well I think Clarksons 30 goal season was a massive fluke so feel free to include any flukes along the way.

If a Clarkson clone is our #5, then it makes sense we are in the bottom 5 for NHL prospects.
Fluke, flounder, bass, whatever, 30 goals is 30 goals. I hope he flukes it up again next year.

And remember it is universally accepted that Mytoe is a better skating Clarkson. With perhaps better hockey sense.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:51 PM
CerebralGenesis

I think we'll be lucky if he turns into another Zubrus who isn't known for collecting points which is OK but to say he is our best forward prospect and thus will likely collect 30G seasons is a dream.

Remember when Corrente was our top D prospect and people compared him to Stevens?

So we are hoping Mytoe is going to be luckier than Clarkson?

Old
08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

This thread makes me wish Clarkson gets 40 next season for ***** and giggles, 35 of which deflections off of awkward places.

Never gonna happen, though.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
I think we'll be lucky if he turns into another Zubrus who isn't known for collecting points which is OK but to say he is our best forward prospect and thus will likely collect 30G seasons is a dream.

Remember when Corrente was our top D prospect and people compared him to Stevens?

We just had our 3 best forward prospects graduate and have no idea as to what we got from this years draft.

Why are you on such a rant about our prospects, when the majority of people voting have never seen a full game of the people theyre talking about.

People will only vote for Matteau because hes our first rounder this year. Some people are voting on upside, others are voting on who will make the NHL, some about this year and some about career wise.

Jesus, relax.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
devilsblood

Quote:

Zub and Clarkson are not that similar. Not sure how u have him as a clarkson clone, and then in the Zuburs mold.

As far as Corrente, fans may have been high on him, but what does that have to do with Matteau? Why not look towards a guy like Henrique who people were not high on and then exceeded(at least early in his career) those expectations?

Now do I see Stefan as a guy u can pencil in 30g seasons for on a regular basis? Nah, that's a stretch for any late 1st rnd pick, but I think it is within expectations to see him as a physical guy who scores 20 plus consistently.

Dudes a first rnd pick, not sure why it's crazy or disapointing to see him as a top 5 prospect within the org.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:10 PM
CerebralGenesis

What round you're picked has no baring to me. Henrique was a 3rd round pick.

There is too much to disagree with above so I guess I should relax and vote for Matteau next.

Still would like to hear how Matteau is a stud outside of first round selection. Better skating than clarkson and good IQ. I just read a Zharkov description except Zharkov could kill penalties that Matteau will be taking. The 6 PIMs he averages a game.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:14 PM
CerebralGenesis

This debate is actually open-ended because we have to wait 2+ years to see who we can't draft upon forfeiting our pick instead of doing it this year.

Them the breaks.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
This debate is actually open-ended because we have to wait 2+ years to see who we can't draft upon forfeiting our pick instead of doing it this year.

Them the breaks.
You're like a less intelligent Trottier.

Don't vote Matteau, if you don't think its Matteau.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:18 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm glad these have turned into ***** sessions...

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:20 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
What round you're picked has no baring to me. Henrique was a 3rd round pick.

There is too much to disagree with above so I guess I should relax and vote for Matteau next.

Still would like to hear how Matteau is a stud outside of first round selection. Better skating than clarkson and good IQ. I just read a Zharkov description except Zharkov could kill penalties that Matteau will be taking. The 6 PIMs he averages a game.

So we have now downgraded Matteau from Clarkson, to Zubrus, to Zharkov(with a little Corrente on the side). Seriously what have u seen from Matteau that has u so down on him?

what round he was picked does have bearing to me. Given that I have seen little of any of the draftees, I have to go with the opinions of the professionals. So Im thinking he should have some good upside.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:36 PM
JimEIV

Well on Matteau, I think much of the story will be told in his first year in the Q as a 19 year old...

But I personally feel his skating and lack of skill will make him a fixture bottom 6 player. Think Bernier with an attitude.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

speaking of Bernier, he was a beast for Moncton before his gradual decline

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:54 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
Well on Matteau, I think much of the story will be told in his first year in the Q as a 19 year old...

But I personally feel his skating and lack of skill will make him a fixture bottom 6 player. Think Bernier with an attitude.
Already ordered my jersey.

And I bet you also like a less informed Trottier.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:55 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

While I think Urbom has the tools and physical skill set to be an NHL caliber defenseman, I think he's going to bust.

While I still don't like picking Matteau and would have selected a different player, I think Matteau is much further along in his development than most 18 year olds and is probably a very safe pick to be an NHL player.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
JimEIV

If you compare Matteau to other 1994 forwards on the Development team he really didn't out produce any of them. Not even defenseman like Trouba who is considered a stay at home guy in the mold of Adam Foote or Skjei( more offensive but still)...even forwards who were drafted after him out produced him in the USHL like Nicolas Kerdiles...hell Riley Barber who the Caps picked in the 6th Round out produced him in the USHL....

I mean when stay at home defenders of the same age and draft year are scoring more than you it does typically translate into something good. People keep bringing up Clarkson but Clarkson scored goals every where he's been.

Just remember, Patrice Cormier averaged about a ppg as a 19 year old in the Q...let's see how Matteau's 19 year old year plays out.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 925
Oh look, Jim has found a new toy.

Btw, Jim, who is your choice for our 4th best prospect? You haven't yet made your choice.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
While I think Urbom has the tools and physical skill set to be an NHL caliber defenseman, I think he's going to bust.

While I still don't like picking Matteau and would have selected a different player, I think Matteau is much further along in his development than most 18 year olds and is probably a very safe pick to be an NHL player.
Just curious as to why?

Old
08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
Oh look, Jim has found a new toy.

Btw, Jim, who is your choice for our 4th best prospect? You haven't yet made your choice.
What do you gaf if you are going to ridicule my opinion?

Without any substance I might add.