HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Wild had all state natives on the roster...

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 11:24 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
They also have the benefit of inviting some of the local top talent to the developmental camp at really no expense to the players (who might be college bound) for some additional scouting opportunities.
Good point there. Doesn't hurt, certainly.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Generally speaking, we Minnesotans are an insecure bunch. We take it really personal when labeled as "fly over country". We LOVE it whenever the national spotlight is focused on us, for even a second. And as it pertains to Minnesota born/raised hockey players (or athletes, in general), we are EXTREMELY provincial. We really take pride when a home town boy (or girl) is successful so we can claim them as "our own" and dream of them one day bringing glory to the home state.

You're right. But it just makes us seem a bit desperate.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:14 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
You're right. But it just makes us seem a bit desperate.
Eh, I think it stems more from the fact that Minnesota is always portrayed as cold and backwards. It's not THAT cold here

Old
08-01-2012, 02:38 PM
LemaireisGOD

Hilarious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
1. You can ignore the thread and not post in it.
2. You can decide to participate in the thread and post something constructive.
3. You can push your "hatred for life" aside and let other people enjoy this topic, because for kripes' sake its a message baoard.
My hatred for life? Does someone have a vendetta, sure sounds like it. Please elaborate your reasoning for this because I'm sure its both fascinating and completely inaccurate. I got yelled at by my boss? I'm on vacation, pretty tough for that to happen. Even if I did, what does that have to do with anything I posted here? Do you post angry when your boss yells at you (not that I care)?

This is a fruitless thread. It is constructive to question why it matters in the slightest about where a player is from.

I hate the term "Minny" because I think names should be spoken properly. I don't say 'Sconnie, because I think its stupid. As far as ripping the hockey in Wisconsin, go ahead, it sucks compared to Minnesota but its getting better whether you wish to admit it or not. The Badgers seem to be using more homegrown talent each year. Yet that isn't the topic is it?

Well just to humor some of the overly sensitive people around here.

Forwards:

C - Zach Parise
RW - David Backes
RW - Blake Wheeler
C/LW - Matt Cullen
C - Derek Stepan
C - T.J. Oshie
RW - Jamie Langenbrunner
C/LW - Ryan Carter
C/LW - Matt Hendricks
RW - Tim Jackman
C - Peter Mueller
RW - Kyle Okposo
C/LW - Toby Petersen

Defense:

RD - Dustin Byfuglien
LD - Alex Goligoski
LD - Ryan McDonagh
LD - Paul Martin
LD - Jordan Leopold
RD - Erik Johnson
RD - Justin Faulk

Goaltenders:

John Curry
Joe Fallon
Jeff Frazee

I don't see what this matters though. Minnesota can almost field a full NHL team. So what? So could Massachusetts at one point in time.

Last edited by LemaireisGOD: 08-01-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpuppysyndrome View Post
Eh, I think it stems more from the fact that Minnesota is always portrayed as cold and backwards. It's not THAT cold here
Yeah, say that in late Jan early Feb when it's -25 f and -60 below wind chill.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:55 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
It is interesting though since we're on the subject that Wisconsin has a bigger population but lags so far behind Minnesota in their system's production of players. I know Minnesota being the coldest state in the Union has a little to do with it and once you get to Duluth and northwest of Duluth it's hockey central, but you would still think Wisconsin would hold their own with the likes of Michigan.
Being from Wisconsin I can shed some light onto why WI and hockey aren't really hand in hand. And this is coming from someone from the Milwaukee area.

Anywhere south of Madison could give a crap less about the sport. There isn't much for youth hockey like there is in MN unless you venture outwards. High School hockey is pretty unheard of unless you get to Madison and outward. Green Bay is so/so but I attribute that to having the mutant part of Michigan branched on so close to them that they get Red Wing coverage.

But, back to the "dead zone". Milwaukee fans are fickle, bandwagon, jackholes. Nobody cared about the Brewers when they were brutally bad, they get good and people talk like they were on the bandwagon since the old day. Bucks are just the same. The Admirals used to have a solid following when they were in the IHL, but when that went out the window and they went AHL the support for them seemed to fall through. The Packers hold the crown in Wisconsin as the team to love and so everyone does, regardless of how good or bad they do.

The NHL would fall apart quick in Wisconsin as there would be little to no love for it. Toss in the fact that ESPN 2 and the NHL's disagreement, the Blackhawks being pulled from WGN and no broadcasts of Red Wings games being available to a big population of the state didn't and doesn't give exposure to WI sports fans. Fox sports will show Wild games on occasion, but they are blacked out a lot in the SE part of the state. My hunch is with the recent signings more games will be shown, but I don't know who gets to control that.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
Generally speaking, we Minnesotans are an insecure bunch. We take it really personal when labeled as "fly over country". We LOVE it whenever the national spotlight is focused on us, for even a second. And as it pertains to Minnesota born/raised hockey players (or athletes, in general), we are EXTREMELY provincial. We really take pride when a home town boy (or girl) is successful so we can claim them as "our own" and dream of them one day bringing glory to the home state.

Personally speaking, I don't really view myself as insecure when I take pride in another Minnesotan athlete. I know other folks here get a little ticked when someone's opinion of Minnesota and its citizens is based on "Fargo." People here know how great this state really is, and if people want to degrade it, just laugh and let them; they're the ones who are missing out. I feel the same way when people talk down about Winnipeg or Manitoba because it's a fantastic city and province, and folks who've been there would say the same. I cheer for the hometown/state/province guys because I have something in common with them, despite the lack of other commonalities.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:12 PM
lostpuppysyndrome
iddqd

Quote:
Yeah, say that in late Jan early Feb when it's -25 f and -60 below wind chill.
Another pair of socks, longjohns, and a Carhartt jacket will take care of that

Old
08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
LemaireisGOD

I agree 100% with this, and let's settle this debate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
Being from Wisconsin I can shed some light onto why WI and hockey aren't really hand in hand. And this is coming from someone from the Milwaukee area.

Anywhere south of Madison could give a crap less about the sport. There isn't much for youth hockey like there is in MN unless you venture outwards. High School hockey is pretty unheard of unless you get to Madison and outward. Green Bay is so/so but I attribute that to having the mutant part of Michigan branched on so close to them that they get Red Wing coverage.

But, back to the "dead zone". Milwaukee fans are fickle, bandwagon, jackholes. Nobody cared about the Brewers when they were brutally bad, they get good and people talk like they were on the bandwagon since the old day. Bucks are just the same. The Admirals used to have a solid following when they were in the IHL, but when that went out the window and they went AHL the support for them seemed to fall through. The Packers hold the crown in Wisconsin as the team to love and so everyone does, regardless of how good or bad they do.

The NHL would fall apart quick in Wisconsin as there would be little to no love for it. Toss in the fact that ESPN 2 and the NHL's disagreement, the Blackhawks being pulled from WGN and no broadcasts of Red Wings games being available to a big population of the state didn't and doesn't give exposure to WI sports fans. Fox sports will show Wild games on occasion, but they are blacked out a lot in the SE part of the state. My hunch is with the recent signings more games will be shown, but I don't know who gets to control that.
I agree 100% having lived here (unfortunately) for 10 years now.

I put a poll on my site asking this simple question. Does it matter to you if the Wild have Minnesota-born players on their team?

Go ahead and vote here. http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/

Old
08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
One of these days the Wild will score big with a local kid they drafted in the 3rd-7th round, because they had the opportunity to know him and his game better than everybody else. That'll be the day to be very proud of the home field advantage.

Mario Lucia might be that kid, even tho he was late second round, because the Wild moved up to get him. Or maybe it'll be John Draeger. We'll see.
The Wild scouting staff is always in rinks around town. They do good with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
Are other markets this...desperate (not exactly the word I was looking for) for native players on their team? I don't read much local media stuff for other teams, so I really don't know.

To me it seems like a Minnesota exclusive quirk that we seem to always highlight when a Minnesotan athlete does or is competing something. Is it like this elsewhere, or is it a symptom of constantly being overlooked by larger media markets?

Personally, it kind of rubs me the wrong way, but overall, I try to take Generic_User's approach as described above.
I've always thought it's a combination of the market being big enough to support its own but isolated from others to where there is no real rival area. The nearest major city is 4/5 hours away from the Twin Cities so we focus on our own.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
rational and intelligent post
<whines>
Why are there no cries coming from Iowa that Des Moines can't support any pro hockey stocked with Iowa born talent?
</whines>

Because they are too busy crying to get out of the state...

Old
08-01-2012, 04:08 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Welp, hated this thread then. Seeing as this is going nowhere positive after the nectro-bump, we'll just be done now.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Closed Thread