HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Leblanc love

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2012, 01:39 PM
  #76
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Leblanc has far better hands than Higgins. Higgins wasn't successful as a top 6 forward mainly because he has hands made of cement.

That:



Isn't something you'd expect Higgins to do. I don't see the Higgins or Moore comparisons, except for work ethic maybe, but then again.. I'd say Leblanc looks more motivated right?
But Higgins had one of the hardest shot on the team. Leblanc's shot is a weakness to his game.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM
  #77
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midgetland
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
But Higgins had one of the hardest shot on the team. Leblanc's shot is a weakness to his game.
Hardest shot in the league? Not really I think you're confusing him with Ryder. Higgins was one thing in front of a goalie, someone who kept shooting right in the middle of his chest. The guy simply had no hands, it really made no difference whether the wrists were strong or not.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
  #78
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Hardest shot in the league? Not really I think you're confusing him with Ryder. Higgins was one thing in front of a goalie, someone who kept shooting right in the middle of his chest. The guy simply had no hands, it really made no difference whether the wrists were strong or not.
I remember that, that was so frustrating.

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:32 PM
  #79
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
Higgins only forgot how to shoot in 2008-09.

He was a decent shooter before that. He had 23, 22, and 27 goals in the three seasons before that, for a 26 goal per 82 game pace.

He has since recovered. Last year in Vancouver he had 18 goals, 25 assists in 71 games; in spite of NOT being on their list line.

Higgins was also good on the PK.

We could use more players like Higgins.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:53 PM
  #80
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,635
vCash: 500
We so. They are called Prust and Armstrong.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
  #81
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midgetland
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
More players like Higgins?? Certainly not! If you want Higgins instead of Bourque I'm fine with that, but we don't need more players like him. We need more players like Galchenyuk, Yakupov, etc.. High end talent. Leblanc's ceiling isn't exactly as high as those guys, but he's certainly way closer than Higgins or Moore have ever been.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
  #82
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
We so. They are called Prust and Armstrong.
I don't share your enthusiasm for Armstrong. I think he's the next Bourque.

Prust is not a Higgins-type player, he's a Moen-type player. He's here to fight, to score 5-10 goals per year, and to provide a veteran presence on the 3rd and 4th line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
More players like Higgins?? Certainly not! If you want Higgins instead of Bourque I'm fine with that, but we don't need more players like him. We need more players like Galchenyuk, Yakupov, etc.. High end talent. Leblanc's ceiling isn't exactly as high as those guys, but he's certainly way closer than Higgins or Moore have ever been.
Obviously we need Galchenyuk more, and we have Galchenyuk, so what's your point?

A good team needs depth.

If Leblanc can become a two-way forward who contributes 40-50 points a year on the 2nd line, and is capable of 1st line spot duty when injury strikes (e.g. Higgins), then I'll be extremely satisfied.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
  #83
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,750
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
More players like Higgins?? Certainly not! If you want Higgins instead of Bourque I'm fine with that, but we don't need more players like him. We need more players like Galchenyuk, Yakupov, etc.. High end talent. Leblanc's ceiling isn't exactly as high as those guys, but he's certainly way closer than Higgins or Moore have ever been.
Higgins as a top 9 forward is excellent. He's actually top6/9 in vancouver and they're first and made finals the year before. So...yah, he's useful.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:33 PM
  #84
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midgetland
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Higgins as a top 9 forward is excellent. He's actually top6/9 in vancouver and they're first and made finals the year before. So...yah, he's useful.
As useful as Bourque, if he gets it going. I agree with your assessment, because I also see Bourque as top 9 when he's motivated.

We have enough depth as is and have no needs for more Bourques or Higgins, that's my point. What we need is better players on our top lines and Leblanc/Galch/<any other top line prospect that we can draft> has better chances of meeting that demand than any Higgins out there. I'd even try him on the left if Bourque can't get his engine going:

Leblanc Plekanec Gionta.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:46 PM
  #85
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
I think that Lablanc suffers from overexposure as a prospect. With other prospects,we as a group dream about their "ceilngs", or carefully try to balance
top end perdictions with reality. Oddly, in Lablanc's case people try to identify
the "basement".Most fans say things like he'll be a great third line player. And
there is little chance he'll be less than that. But he could be much more.
Even first lines on contenders need people that play well in the corners,
look after defensive responsabilities for their linemates, and just help others
play effectively. Lablanc may have the skills, and smarts to be one of those.
Of course, Plenc is probably also one of those players who's ideal role is
to help good players take the next step, and win. And many people here really
underrate him as well.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:00 PM
  #86
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
I think that Lablanc suffers from overexposure as a prospect. With other prospects,we as a group dream about their "ceilngs", or carefully try to balance
top end perdictions with reality. Oddly, in Lablanc's case people try to identify
the "basement".Most fans say things like he'll be a great third line player. And
there is little chance he'll be less than that. But he could be much more.
Even first lines on contenders need people that play well in the corners,
look after defensive responsabilities for their linemates, and just help others
play effectively. Lablanc may have the skills, and smarts to be one of those.
Of course, Plenc is probably also one of those players who's ideal role is
to help good players take the next step, and win. And many people here really
underrate him as well.
QFT. Fix the names though -_-

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:01 PM
  #87
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Hardest shot in the league? Not really I think you're confusing him with Ryder. Higgins was one thing in front of a goalie, someone who kept shooting right in the middle of his chest. The guy simply had no hands, it really made no difference whether the wrists were strong or not.
*Insert SS meme here*

With caption

Reads team, Says it was league.

Aside from AK/AK, Souray/Streit, Ryder.. He had the hardest shot. Not the best or more precise.. just hard. Reading comprehension man.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:13 AM
  #88
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't share your enthusiasm for Armstrong. I think he's the next Bourque.
I don't really see the comparison between them... Bourque has better hands and shot but no tenacity and little aggressivity. Armstrong is a wrecking ball but he tries to do things that are not of his (fairly low) skill level. A injury prone, bigger and more physical Higgins is a good comparison for Armstrong. I agree Prust is not comparable to Higgins tho, Prust should be a Moen as you say, hopefully better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p
*Insert SS meme here*

With caption

Reads team, Says it was league.

Aside from AK/AK, Souray/Streit, Ryder.. He had the hardest shot. Not the best or more precise.. just hard. Reading comprehension man.
I don't know. From what I remember his shot was average troughout, poor accuracy and they didn't seem all that hard. Most of his goals were wraparounds&garbage goals. Most Habs top6 forwards had stronger shots (except Koivu, who's shot was quite weak. Plekanec's was similar but more accurate. He shot much less however. even Latendresse probably had a stronger shot, it just took him a decade to unleash it and a century to reach the o-zone). On defense Markov has a powerful shot as well. The puzzling thing is that Higgins did take great shots once in a while.


Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 08-02-2012 at 12:21 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:15 AM
  #89
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
This almost became a Higgins' thread!?!
(I don't miss Higgins at all..so much potential as a Hab, but apparently Montreal's nightlife took his hard work away...something we don't have to worry about with Leblanc ).


Leblanc:
<very smart on and off the ice (Harvard ).
<great work ethic
<great attitude
<has some talent/skills
<great for our center depth in case of injuries...


I like the Patrice Bergeron (smart, clean player), Plekanec (not amazing but reliable/good, hard working, consistent and not injury prone...solid 2nd line or decent/good 1st line center) and Patrick Sharp comparisons...

Leblanc will end up a very solid/dependable 3rd line center/winger OR solid 2nd line winger/center...imo. (and who knows...he's very smart out there, so...1st line winger is not out of reach in a few years).
(I'm not worried at all about Leblanc since he has a good attitude and solid work ethic).


Go Leblanc Go!!


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 08-03-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:23 AM
  #90
JayKing
Go Habs Go
 
JayKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,056
vCash: 390
Leblanc playing on Eller's wing is what could help Eller's explosion developpement wise this season. He could also be the answer to bringing Bourque back to a decent to high production. The guy is so intelligent. He will be a great player for the Habs. He always works hard, he's good with the media (not only 'cause he's french, he says things that people don't think about on the team's performance). I see great things for him in a Habs uniform.

JayKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:15 AM
  #91
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
But Higgins had one of the hardest shot on the team. Leblanc's shot is a weakness to his game.
If memory serves, he was touted for his shot in Junior and during his draft year. Granted, he hasn't really shown it in the pros yet, but I believe it was a bright spot in his scouting report.

Am I wrong?

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:23 AM
  #92
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
But Higgins had one of the hardest shot on the team. Leblanc's shot is a weakness to his game.
It will get better when ge puts weight on his upper body!

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:24 AM
  #93
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Leblanc playing on Eller's wing is what could help Eller's explosion developpement wise this season. He could also be the answer to bringing Bourque back to a decent to high production. The guy is so intelligent. He will be a great player for the Habs. He always works hard, he's good with the media (not only 'cause he's french, he says things that people don't think about on the team's performance). I see great things for him in a Habs uniform.
This.

I would have no problem with a Bourque - Eller - Leblanc line at all. Three players able to help each other is never a bad thing... though I think our best bet for the 3rd line would be Moen - Eller - Armstrong with LL probably starting in Hamilton. Especially if we manage to land Doan.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:02 AM
  #94
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
If memory serves, he was touted for his shot in Junior and during his draft year. Granted, he hasn't really shown it in the pros yet, but I believe it was a bright spot in his scouting report.

Am I wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
It will get better when ge puts weight on his upper body!

Is shot is not among one of his greatest assets. No knock on him ,though.
Just like Plekanec's shot is not a main part of his game..

I'm not talking Desharnais level here.

LL main assets are : Energy, Hard-work, Hockey IQ,

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:35 AM
  #95
shamrun
Registered User
 
shamrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Is shot is not among one of his greatest assets. No knock on him ,though.
Just like Plekanec's shot is not a main part of his game..

I'm not talking Desharnais level here.

LL main assets are : Energy, Hard-work, Hockey IQ,
I heard from Danny Dube (might of been martin mcguire) that he would beat price on a regular basis in practice shootouts because he can elevate the puck at close range. I am trying to find the audio clip but i cant.

I get a feeling that louis leblanc is a jack of all trades when it comes to hockey. Hopefully with a full summer of trainning he can come in and show us what he has in camp.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.