HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Extra Tall Hockey Stick?

Old
08-01-2012, 10:03 AM
hockeyr5

vCash: 500
Extra Tall Hockey Stick?

I've been playing hockey my whole life and being 6'5 I've always had to have a wooden extension in my stick. It is about 3-4 inches and when I hold my stick my top hand is basically holding just the extension. It has become loose many times and is just really annoying so I've been thinking of trying to get a [custom?] extra tall stick so I can forgo using an extension.

My friend recently bought a Bauer stick and on their website you can customize your stick and have it come with a "4 inch extension" that is just part of the stick and not a separate piece.

Only problem is the two sticks they allow you to do this with (Vapor APX and a Total One) are expensive as hell. Anyone know about how I could get some relatively cheap sticks with extra/custom length?

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:17 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyr5 View Post
I've been playing hockey my whole life and being 6'5 I've always had to have a wooden extension in my stick. It is about 3-4 inches and when I hold my stick my top hand is basically holding just the extension. It has become loose many times and is just really annoying so I've been thinking of trying to get a [custom?] extra tall stick so I can forgo using an extension.

My friend recently bought a Bauer stick and on their website you can customize your stick and have it come with a "4 inch extension" that is just part of the stick and not a separate piece.

Only problem is the two sticks they allow you to do this with (Vapor APX and a Total One) are expensive as hell. Anyone know about how I could get some relatively cheap sticks with extra/custom length?
It's not cost effective to offer custom or extra length versions of cheaper models.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:22 AM
TrueBlue86

I'm 6'7 and just bought this composite extension of 4 inches. not sure if it'll be enough.

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...72592.11408213

i used the wooden one before but it always threw off the weight distribution of my stick.

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:45 AM
hockeyr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
It's not cost effective to offer custom or extra length versions of cheaper models.
So do they just not do it? I mean I'm not expecting something super cheap I just didn't want to pay Bauer $230+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
I'm 6'7 and just bought this composite extension of 4 inches. not sure if it'll be enough.

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...72592.11408213

i used the wooden one before but it always threw off the weight distribution of my stick.
Yeah that is the other thing, I especially feel like it hurts my slap shot. Does your extension ever come loose? Makes it real hard to shoot until you get it fixed.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:01 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
So do they just not do it? I mean I'm not expecting something super cheap I just didn't want to pay Bauer $230+

Yeah, they don't offer stuff like that except on their top of the line sticks.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:04 AM
AIREAYE

Extensions should never come loose if inserted properly. A strip of tape or two around the hosel should further solidify the joint, that's what most people do.

I guess the most important thing to consider is what flex you want to achieve after all is said and done, an extension obviously makes it whippier.

The Easton ST offers an extra long 115 flex option that's at least 63" iirc. Warrior offers all of their top-end models (Widow, Diablo, Dynasty and EVO) at the 63" length. The EVO is the least expensive of the 4.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:04 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Extensions should never come loose if inserted properly. A strip of tape or two around the hosel should further solidify the joint, that's what most people do.

I guess the most important thing to consider is what flex you want to achieve after all is said and done, an extension obviously makes it whippier.

The Easton ST offers an extra long 115 flex option that's at least 63" iirc. Warrior offers all of their top-end models (Widow, Diablo, Dynasty and EVO) at the 63" length. The EVO is the least expensive of the 4.
Ditto on the ST 115 flex. I'm 6'5 and didn't even have to cut the Easton ST. It came at perfect length.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:36 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I went to a play it again sports here in Phoenix about 3 days ago, and saw a Easton Synergy that was taller than I am. And I'm 6'2". Maybe try to find one of thoes?

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:55 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I went to a play it again sports here in Phoenix about 3 days ago, and saw a Easton Synergy that was taller than I am. And I'm 6'2". Maybe try to find one of thoes?
Are you sure it wasn't prostock? And what Easton Synergy? They've been using that name from the turn of the century until just this spring.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:47 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Your best bet is to find a pro-stock stick. They tend to be longer than a retail stick, and usually aren't too expensive. You won't find a long enough stick under $100 though, so you will have to be willing to pay that much. My husband is 6'5" and learning to play. I found him a pro-stock stick that I still had to add a plug into. It works great. I agree with the poster above who said you need to add some tape to the hosel of the plug. I usually take a long piece of tape, tear it in half the long way and cross it over at the bottom of the hosel with the ends going up all four sides. I put glue over the top of the glue and slide it slowly into the stick. I have never had an issue with a plug coming loose.

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:01 PM
AIREAYE

Just to clarify, pro stock is a blanket term for custom made sticks for high end and professional players. Due to the wide variations on specs, they cannot tend to be anything. You simply have to find a stick which is taller.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:12 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Are you sure it wasn't prostock? And what Easton Synergy? They've been using that name from the turn of the century until just this spring.
It wasn't pro stock. It was 100 flex, Drury curve. And I'm not sure what synergy. I remember it being blue and grey, and had synergy on the side. It might have been a se16, but I don't remember seeing "se16".

Last edited by AZcoyotes: 08-03-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 09:50 PM
AIREAYE

Silver and blue? As in the non-grip version of the Synergy Elite?
http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...+Stick-+Junior

Old
08-04-2012, 11:59 AM
hockeyr5

Thanks a ton for all the replies!

A looked up a bit of what everyone was saying. Pro stocks seemed good but online it never said how tall it actually was. The Synergy ST looks pretty good but I've never played with anything over 100 flex (and that's with the extension so it is really less) and I just think 115 would be way too stiff (in reviews I saw people confirmed it was taller though).

I then looked up that Warrior EVO someone mentioned and write on the thing it stated it was 63" an then in the review someone said this " This isn't a con for me, but maybe for other players, this stick runs 2-3 inches longer than your average senior stick. I'm 6'5'' on skates so it's great to finally have a stick of this stature the feels right with my height."

So it looks like that may be a winner for me! Thanks everyone for your help!

EDIT: Real quick, when it says 63inches I assume that i just refers to the shaft, correct? Excluding the blade? I just measured my stick and the shaft is like exactly 63 inches (with the extension).

EDIT: Also is it true that Warrior's lies are one less than normal? So a 4 is really a 5?

Last edited by hockeyr5: 08-04-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old
08-04-2012, 10:23 PM
AIREAYE

- Heel to end of shaft
- Pretty much yeah regarding lie

Another option: http://www.ruffneckhockey.com/warrio...haft-11-model/

The AK27 is offered an extra long option, which is 6" longer than the regular shaft, if you want to go the 2-piece route.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:01 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Silver and blue? As in the non-grip version of the Synergy Elite?
http://www.hockeyworld.com/index/pag...+Stick-+Junior
It wasn't that. I'll find a picture of what it was like.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:06 PM
AIREAYE

Synergy ST Gen III. Retail wouldn't be that tall as you mentioned. I would guess prostock.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:15 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Synergy ST Gen III. Retail wouldn't be that tall as you mentioned. I would guess prostock.
It wasn't prostock. Might be custom made, but It wasn't prostock. It had "100 FLEX" and all the information about the lie, and curve info on the shaft. A prostock would just say the persons name, and random numbers in small print.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:35 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
It wasn't prostock. Might be custom made, but It wasn't prostock. It had "100 FLEX" and all the information about the lie, and curve info on the shaft. A prostock would just say the persons name, and random numbers in small print.
Not necessarily, we have a few blank pro-stocks with no indicators or anything. Well anyways it's a moot point.

Old
08-04-2012, 11:41 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Not necessarily, we have a few blank pro-stocks with no indicators or anything. Well anyways it's a moot point.
I mean a pro stock's label should look like this:

The Easton stick I saw, looked like this:

Old
08-14-2012, 02:52 PM
hockeyr5

Just got the Warrior EVO (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...o-grip-sr.html) and it is only 61inches...

Old
08-14-2012, 04:37 PM
esidebill

Quote:
Just got the Warrior EVO (http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...o-grip-sr.html) and it is only 61inches...
Said the SR. length is 63. If it is 61, that's horrifically short.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
hockeyr5

According to Warrior this is how you measure a stick?

I think that is stupid but in that case it is 63inches, and only 1.5 inches longer than my normal sticks (Easton S19), despite saying +3inches. I never had a normal Warrior stick but do they run shorter than a typical Easton???

And I was measuring on the opposite of the the stick that they/Warrior were until the curve began to start, I thought that was correct?

Old
08-14-2012, 08:34 PM
AIREAYE

Your S19 isn't the typical 60"...