HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Play the role of GM; Would you lock up our 2013 RFA now?

Old
08-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Play the role of GM; Would you lock up our 2013 RFA now?

So as I got reading Ed Tait's article this morning on our team budget and soon-to-be key RFA coming July 2013, it got my wheels spinning a bit. Blake Wheeler, Bryan Little, Zach Bogosian, Alexander Burmistrov. Sign them now? or sign them next offseason?

Given the current CBA is set to expire and RFA contracts appear to be in the line of fire in terms of taking a hit, and when a RFA will be eligible to become a UFA appears to become a bit more difficult, then there is contract length which also appears to possibly be restricted.

Ed Tait says the following,

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...164550936.html

Quote:
Now, as Free Press columnist Gary Lawless first reported a few weeks back, the Jets have made Evander Kane a six-year offer worth around $29 million and that $4.8 million annual hit alone would push the club over the cap floor. But it's the moves management might make after the Kane deal is completed which would hammer home the Jet approach. Blake Wheeler, Bryan Little and Zach Bogosian -- all under 25 years of age and all scheduled to become restricted free agents after next season -- figure to be cornerstone pieces who could also be offered significant raises to sign long-term deals. Same goes for Alex Burmistrov, who is entering what could be a huge year in terms of establishing his market value. As well, energy forward Spencer Machacek, who impressed with nine points in 11 games after a call-up in March, is also a restricted free agent who may get a raise in a new deal.
What would you do? if these key players were willing to negotiate new long-term contracts this summer, would you do it? What would you like the contract to look like? These players may want to sign this offseason and be locked up, have that security and focus their season strictly on hockey and not worry about their contract stance in Winnipeg. For many of these players, Winnipeg seems like a great fit, and they seem to enjoy it here.

We've seen Ladd sign long-term. We've seen Pavelec sign long-term. We've seen Enstrom sign long-term. Lastly, it appears we'll see Kane sign long-term. All on 5+ year contracts. Will that encourage the likes of Blake Wheeler, Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little to negotiate their very own long-term deals sooner rather than later?

What would you do? what would you like to see?

Discuss.

08-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I am a bit on the fence. Wheeler, Bogosian and Little all had fine seasons a year ago, but they didn't come without a bump or two in the road, though perhaps to be expected. Wheeler began the season and couldn't buy a goal, but then was our best forward for the duration of the season and his points indicated as such as did his determination and work ethic. Bogosian was steady as a rock pretty well from start to finish, he isn't perfect yet though he appears to be headed in that direction. Bogosian appears to be fit for Winnipeg and Winnipeg appears to be fit Bogosian, he has said as much. Bryan Little, albeit asked to do too much and more than he is capable of, still hit 24 goals and he should/could find a real comfort level as the no. 2 center behind Olli Jokinen.

Have we seen enough out of these guys to lock them up now? I think so. We did with Pavelec and he's got some question marks. We did with Enstrom and he too carries some question marks. Kane had a whirlwind first season in Winnipeg but here we are offering a reported 6-year deal.

Of course, even with a new CBA, it wouldn't hurt to let these players play out this season and get a better more clear picture and indication of what they're all about. However, if we were to re-sign these key players this offseason, here is what I would guess the long-term contracts would possibly look like, and if I were the one giving the deals, here is what I would do.

I won't re-sign Burmistrov as of yet, he's got much to prove and is in no position to be signed long-term, in my opinion.

As for Wheeler, Little and Bogosian,

Blake Wheeler: 5 Years - $27 million. (This would lock Wheeler up until he was 31 years of age).

2013-2014 (Year 1) - $5 million
2014-2015 (Year 2) - $5 million
2015-2016 (Year 3) - $5.5 million
2016-2017 (Year 4) - $5.75 million
2017-2018 (Year 5) - $5.75 million

Cap Hit: $5.4 million

Bryan Little: 4 Years - $18 million (This would lock Little up until he was 30 years of age).

2013-2014 (Year 1) - $4.5 million
2014-2015 (Year 2) - $4.5 million
2015-2016 (Year 3) - $4.5 million
2016-2017 (Year 4) - $4.5 million

Cap Hit: $4.5 million

Zach Bogosian: 6 Years - $30 million (This would lock Bogosian up until he was 27 years of age).

2015-2016 (Year 3) - $5 million
2016-2017 (Year 4) - $5 million
2017-2018 (Year 5) - $5.5 million
2018-2019 (Year 6) - $5.5 million

Cap Hit: $5 million

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-01-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:17 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I am a bit on the fence. Wheeler, Bogosian and Little all had fine seasons a year ago, but they didn't come without a bump or two in the road, though perhaps to be expected. Wheeler began the season and couldn't buy a goal, but then was our best forward for the duration of the season and his points indicated as such as did his determination and worth ethic. Bogosian was steady as a rock pretty well from start to finish, he isn't perfect yet though he appears to be headed in that direction. He appears to be fit for Winnipeg and Winnipeg appears to be fit for him. Bryan Little, albeit asked to do too much and more than he is capable of, still hit 24 goals and he should/could find a real comfort level as the no. 2 center behind Olli Jokinen.

Have we seen enough out of these guys to lock them up now? I think so. We did with Pavelec and he's got some question marks. We did with Enstrom and he too carries some question marks. Kane had a whirlwind first season in Winnipeg but here we are offering a reported 6-year deal.

Of course, even with a new CBA, it wouldn't hurt to let these players play out this season and get a better more clear picture and indication of what they're all about. However, if we were to re-sign these key players this offseason, here is what I would guess the long-term contracts would possibly look like, and if I were the one giving the deals, here is what I would do.

I won't re-sign Burmistrov as of yet, he's got much to prove and is in no position to be signed long-term, in my opinion.

Blake Wheeler: 5 Years - $27 million. (This would lock Wheeler up until he was 31 years of age).

Bryan Little: 4 Years - $18 million (This would lock Little up until he was 30 years of age).

Zach Bogosian: 6 Years - $30 million (This would lock Bogosian up until he was 27 years of age).

It will be interesting to see what these guys sign for.

The Kane deal will likely set the table for Wheeler. Would TNSE offer him a mirrored deal? Would Wheeler get a little less? Not sure. Will be interesting to watch.

I have no idea what kind of money Little will command. I am inclined to believe he makes less than either Ladd or Olli. Could they sign him for 4 Mill or possibly a little less? If so term might make sense, otherwise I am not sure he gets a long term deal.

Toby obviously set the ceiling for Bogo. I would also be more comfortable locking Bogo up than the other two. Six years would be fine by me. Again, wonder if Kane's deal would be offered to Bogo.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
It will be interesting to see what these guys sign for.

The Kane deal will likely set the table for Wheeler. Would TNSE offer him a mirrored deal? Would Wheeler get a little less? Not sure. Will be interesting to watch.

I have no idea what kind of money Little will command. I am inclined to believe he makes less than either Ladd or Olli. Could they sign him for 4 Mill or possibly a little less? If so term might make sense, otherwise I am not sure he gets a long term deal.

Toby obviously set the ceiling for Bogo. I would also be more comfortable locking Bogo up than the other two. Six years would be fine by me. Again, wonder if Kane's deal would be offered to Bogo.
One of the more significant reasons why I think Wheeler could command more than Kane is because we would be signing Kane today, meaning for the 6 years we would have him locked up for, 4 of those years are still RFA years. Of course, that is under the current CBA, under the new CBA it may be even longer before RFA to reach UFA status.

So, for Wheeler, I think he could command a bigger pay than Kane (just by a bit) given it would be essentially a deal buying Blake's prime UFA years for pretty well the duration of the contract. Wheeler would be 31 turning 32 as this deal would expire, so I think he'll want to be paid if we lock him up long-term through that age bracket. For a player, that's his most probable guarantee of a big pay day in terms of time-frame, in my opinion. For Kane, even if he signs 6 years he would be just 26-27 as his deal expires, so he would still be in line for what would likely be a huge pay day being 26-27 and UFA. Hello, dollar signs.

For Little, I was a bit unsure. I think you're correct in that he shouldn't earn more than Ladd. Given Little scored 24 goals last season, I think he could command something in the 4-4.5 range, likely closer to the 4 million mark.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-01-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old
08-01-2012, 09:42 AM
sting13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I am a bit on the fence. Wheeler, Bogosian and Little all had fine seasons a year ago, but they didn't come without a bump or two in the road, though perhaps to be expected. Wheeler began the season and couldn't buy a goal, but then was our best forward for the duration of the season and his points indicated as such as did his determination and work ethic. Bogosian was steady as a rock pretty well from start to finish, he isn't perfect yet though he appears to be headed in that direction. Bogosian appears to be fit for Winnipeg and Winnipeg appears to be fit Bogosian, he has said as much. Bryan Little, albeit asked to do too much and more than he is capable of, still hit 24 goals and he should/could find a real comfort level as the no. 2 center behind Olli Jokinen.

If you add Kane's deal that would take us over the cap. You could drop Antropov and Hainsey
but you still have to sign Burmi. I doubt True North wants to be a team right
at the Cap max. You would need money to replace Antropov and Hainsey with other players.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-01-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags for you :)
sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting13 View Post
If you add Kane's deal that would take us over the cap. You could drop Antropov and Hainsey
at the Cap max. You would need money to replace Antropov and Hainsey with other players.
So what would you do? walk from these 3 players? trade them? Surely we won't do that, I wouldn't think. Maybe... maybe... trade Little, but I feel pretty confident both Wheeler and Bogosian are long-term Jets, and in order for that to happen they'll get paid accordingly.

We're at the cap floor (as this CBA is) right now and just a bit above it if we re-sign Kane to his reported deal. Signing these players to these long-term deals will not take us to the limit, likely to around the middle, which would make us a mid-cap team, exactly what we said we would be.

Wheeler right now is being paid a cap hit of 2.55 million, so given my numbers he would be getting a 2.85 million towards our cap.

Little right now is being paid a cap hit of 2.383 million, so given my numbers he would be getting a maximum raise of 2.117 million towards our cap.

Bogosian right now is being paid a cap hit of 2.5 million, so given my numbers he would be getting a maximum raise of 2.5 million towards our cap.

Total cap hit in raises for the 3 would amount to $7.467 million.

Old
08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't see a major cap issue here. The floor will go up again next year.

While I agree Bogo and Wheeler will take a large chunk of Hainsey and Antro's money, Burmi won't get a huge raise, neither will Little. Plus one or two prospects will likely graduate. If Telegin makes the team on his ELC, he will be a bargain.

Replacing Hainsey won't be cheap though.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Lux Aurumque*

I can't see Burmistrov or Little agreeing to extensions at this point. Wheeler and Bogosian, on the other hand, should be locked up ASAP.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:39 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I would lock up Wheeler and Little for 5 years each x 5 million. Maybe a little more for Wheeler and a little less for Little.

No rush with Bogosian and Burmistrov though. Just sign them to bridge contracts until they're 24-25.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:04 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Wheeler - Yes
Bogo - YES!
Little - Yes

Burmistrov - No

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:11 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Wheeler and Bogosian I think you try to lock in for 4+ years. Bogosian longer than that if possible.

Burmistrov still has a huge amount to prove, his stickhandling prowess in pre-game warmups aside. Plus, he'll likely have no arbitration rights (assuming things stay more or less the same) so him you wait and see what he gives you this season.

Little I am not sure about. A lot depends on whether we have a 1C good enough to take the oppositions prime defensive players away from him, letting him go as a 2C and have a bit of an easier time of it. Maybe little gets 3-4 years averaging $4m/year, anything more than that and I think you see what he can get via a trade.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
I think you accidentally did your math wrong.

I'm guessing you took their salaries added them up and added them to our current cap. I'm guessing you forgot that those salaries are actually raises and forgot to account for what those players already cost the team.

Although while others are calculating those cap hits they should account that Enstrom will be an auto addition of $2mil next season against our cap from what he currently is.

Not to mention that the Antropov and Hainsey contracts come off the books and that frees up a whopping $8,562,500 in cap space. Whether we resign them or replace them; the new deals will be substantially lower.

Last edited by Sweech: 08-01-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:32 PM
DancesWithWookies

vCash: 907
Here's what I would do:

Chris Thorburn: 30 million over 7 years ($4.28 mill a year)
Antti Miettinen: 15 million over 4 years ($3.75 mill a year)
Kyle Wellwood: 20 million over 5 years ($4 mill a year)
Ron Hainsey: 52 million over 9 years ( 5.77 mill a year)

And that ladies and gentlemen is why I should never be a GM.

DancesWithWookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSaveJesus View Post
Here's what I would do:

Chris Thorburn: 30 million over 7 years ($4.28 mill a year)
Antti Miettinen: 15 million over 4 years ($3.75 mill a year)
Kyle Wellwood: 20 million over 5 years ($4 mill a year)
Ron Hainsey: 52 million over 9 years ( 5.77 mill a year)

And that ladies and gentlemen is why I should never be a GM.
Did you handle contract negotiations for the Oilers following their Stanley Cup run? Your numbers suggest you may have. If so, Shawn Horcoff, Ethan Moreau and Fernando Pisani thank you...a lot.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:04 PM
sting13

I'm not sure I would lock up Little just yet. Next year Travis Zajac is a UFA
and with uncertain times in NJ and his line mate leaving, I think the Jets could
make a serious pitch to land him. His parents are still living here, his wife is from here,
he was upset when he couldn't play here last year do to injury.

I know, I know we always here about let's get the local guy but this is different and
he feels are need for a number 1 centre.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:08 PM
sting13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I think you accidentally did your math wrong.

I'm guessing you took their salaries added them up and added them to our current cap. I'm guessing you forgot that those salaries are actually raises and forgot to account for what those players already cost the team.

Although while others are calculating those cap hits they should account that Enstrom will be an auto addition of $2mil next season against our cap from what he currently is.

Not to mention that the Antropov and Hainsey contracts come of the books and that frees up a whopping $8,562,500 in cap space. Whether we resign them or replace them the new deals will be substantially lower.
Nope. You do have allow room for players to replace Antropov and Hainsey as well.
Also they expect the cap to drop after a new deal is struck.
Beside Kane, we still need to add 3 more players this year to our cap to hit 23 players.

Last edited by sting13: 08-01-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add
Old
08-01-2012, 03:20 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm not sure I would lock up Little just yet. Next year Travis Zajac is a UFA
and with uncertain times in NJ and his line mate leaving, I think the Jets could
make a serious pitch to land him. His parents are still living here, his wife is from here,
he was upset when he couldn't play here last year do to injury.

I know, I know we always here about let's get the local guy but this is different and
he feels are need for a number 1 centre.
I would love to add Zajac. I don't see him as an ideal #1 centre though.

I hope Scheifele can eventually break into the league and offer more offense than what either Zajac or Little has supplied. I'd take Zajac over Little, but both could work too. Little on the wing.

Old
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Nope. You do have allow room for players to replace Antropov and Hainsey as well.
Beside Kane, we still need to add 3 more players this year to our cap to hit 23 players.
Replacement for Antro will be max 3 mill if we spend crazy and can fall to minimum if it's filled internally with Scheifele or Telegin (etc). Most likely around Poni's contract though realistically ~1.8.

Hainsey's could be pricey depending on how we take it. The main scenarios I see is 1. Re-sign Hainsey to a 2.5-3 deal 2. Sign a UFA from the 2013 pool also aprox 2.5-3 mill deal 3. Under guidance of Huddy, Clitsome is able to take the big minutes increase (he was originally scouted to have a 4-5 ceiling) 4. We trade for an up-and-comer still under a cheap RFA 5. Someone teaches Redmond to play left side... So anywhere from minimum to high 3 mil I think.

Also, if the cap falls down with new CBA its most likely to include a payroll rollback with it so that would negate those changes %wise

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
Wheeler and Bogosian I think you try to lock in for 4+ years. Bogosian longer than that if possible.

Burmistrov still has a huge amount to prove, his stickhandling prowess in pre-game warmups aside. Plus, he'll likely have no arbitration rights (assuming things stay more or less the same) so him you wait and see what he gives you this season.

Little I am not sure about. A lot depends on whether we have a 1C good enough to take the oppositions prime defensive players away from him, letting him go as a 2C and have a bit of an easier time of it. Maybe little gets 3-4 years averaging $4m/year, anything more than that and I think you see what he can get via a trade.
Agreed on all points.
Wheeler would make a great team captain and Bogo looks like he's on the cusp. Neither looks like they have any recurrent injury problems, so locking them up long-term at this point would be a very smart move.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:52 PM
almostawake

It's a nice idea in theory but the reality is players are rarely interested in negotiating in these situations. They'd much rather play out their contract and see where they stand next summer. In the few instances where contracts like these have been worked out, teams have had to grossly overpay relative to the player's present level of production, ex. Milan Lucic.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

There is big questions about what will happen with the CBA. It's possible that UFA age is lowered to the point where they all would be UFA's after next season. I am betting NHLPA will be trying to lower UFA down to 5 years. And I think that this is possibly where the NHL will give ground again, especially since players are signing crazy 2nd/3rd contracts anyways, they are not really giving anything away from their perspective, but it would be a HUGE coup for the PA.

The question is, with probably a lower cap and rollback coming (which would effect the new contract), maybe the lowered UFA age, and for Bogosian and Wheeler at least a feeling that they can REALLY build on last season, would they even want to negotiate right now? After next season Little is only 1 year away from UFA, Bogo and Wheels are only 2, under the current CBA (yes, Bogosian is UFA at 25, thanks to playing at 18). I just don't see them locking in long-term with the new CBA, even if the Jets try to get them in.

But your proposals aren't that far off. And yes, like some have said that is alot of money, with the Kane raise and everything, it will start to put WPG up there in terms of salary. I hope that starts to show people how fast our window is going to close here. WPG needs a sense of urgency this season (whenever it does start). Honestly, it would not surprise me one bit if all 3 are UFA eligible next off-season after the new CBA is signed .

Now, if I am GM I kick the tires on all 3. If you can get Bogosian to a good/average/slight overpayment deal, you do it. I think 5 million a season is still a little high, but it would definitely be a "potential" deal,(I hate potential deals) but could live with in this case, although I try to stretch it to 7/8 years. He is key to the defense going forward. See what Wheeler wants, if he will sign a good deal, you do it. I like your deal Guerzy, but wouldn't go above it, IMO. Unless I can get Little to sign a great deal, I'll let the uncertainty of the CBA work itself out first. I'd pass on your deal, start talking 3-4 million range for Little, over 3-5 years.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:07 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I would love to add Zajac. I don't see him as an ideal #1 centre though.

I hope Scheifele can eventually break into the league and offer more offense than what either Zajac or Little has supplied. I'd take Zajac over Little, but both could work too. Little on the wing.
I think Scheifele will end being a Zajac type player but with more goals. He will be a responsible player but with that wicked shot he will get a lot of goals.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I think Scheifele will end being a Zajac type player but with more goals. He will be a responsible player but with that wicked shot he will get a lot of goals.
I honestly see Scheifele's ceiling as the center version of Loui Erikkson. Underrated for the most part, but puts up very solid points and most of his game is all centered around his extremely high hockey IQ. Also has a decently sized frame, but isn't really known for physicality. Although he tends to do very well defensively.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
I don't see how you think we'd be over the cap then. By my calculation, if those players got those raises right now and they counted against the cap this season and for arguments sake we'll say Kane's cap hit is $5 mil. Plus Enstrom's raise. We'd still have $4,314,042 left in cap space. That's also with Antropov and Hainsey on the books. Plus we'd still have a legal roster without having to sign anyone extra. We would have 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies on the books.

Also, the roster does not need to be 23. That's just the maximum limit.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:59 PM
sting13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I don't see how you think we'd be over the cap then. By my calculation, if those players got those raises right now and they counted against the cap this season and for arguments sake we'll say Kane's cap hit is $5 mil. Plus Enstrom's raise. We'd still have $4,314,042 left in cap space. That's also with Antropov and Hainsey on the books. Plus we'd still have a legal roster without having to sign anyone extra. We would have 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies on the books.

Also, the roster does not need to be 23. That's just the maximum limit.
1. Yes you don't have to have 23 players but the Jets did all year.
2. We have to sign someone extra because we only have 6 D right now listed on the
cap. If you add Meech and Redmond another 1.5 million.
3. If Scheifele takes Cormier's place add another 750,000
4. Burmi will be do a raise as well.

We might not go over the cap depending what it is and you have to remember that
they are looking to make the contracts count fully each year not defering over
the life of the contract.

If you add the new Wheeler, Little and Bogo numbers with extra for Enstrom and Kane
you add $14 million to the 50.9 we have already plus add two more D and you sit
around 66-68 million depending on the Hainsey and Antro and Burmi contracts.

True North said we would not be a top of the cap team, more bottom third.
So I doubt this is doable.