HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks interested in Arnott

Old
08-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Rather have a slow physical player, then a fast weak player who falls down every two seconds.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Rather have a slow physical player, then a fast weak player who falls down every two seconds.
Yeah, I wish they'd get rid of Raymond too.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Screw

vCash: 500
No thanks. I forsee another Nolan. Maybe a tryout though.

Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:16 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw View Post
No thanks. I forsee another Nolan. Maybe a tryout though.
Nolan was 2 years older and an entire season removed from the NHL

I don't see any reason not to be interested in Arnott, it makes no sense to sign him today but after we find out where Doan and Luongo land he might be a really good depth signing for us, but with that being said there are a lot of 'ifs'

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:17 PM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I think I'd feel more comfortable with Schroeder as the 3rd line center. Arnott really doesn't have much left in the tank. And yes, he is huge, but he isn't physical and he's pretty slow.

And there is no way we sign both Doan and Arnott. Too many forwards signed, no room to sign an 8th d-man (which the team likes to do).
BASE ON WHAT?

Why is Jordan Schroeder the 2nd coming of Christ.

Be honest, most of us know nothing about him except 5 minutes of youtube footage. He is clearly a risk.

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:20 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDiver View Post
BASE ON WHAT?

Why is Jordan Schroeder the 2nd coming of Christ.

Be honest, most of us know nothing about him except 5 minutes of youtube footage. He is clearly a risk.
He's tiny and we have no idea if he can play in the NHL. So we should just give him a spot in the top 6

NugentHopkinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Arnott is old, slow and his production is declining rapidly. Why burn up a contract spot on the guy if you can bring him into camp for free? Clearly there isn't much interest in him right now.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJP View Post
Arnott is old, slow and his production is declining rapidly. Why burn up a contract spot on the guy if you can bring him into camp for free? Clearly there isn't much interest in him right now.
He just scored 17 goals, 34 points on a very competitive Blues team last year who were fantastic defensively...that's not the kind of guy you simply invite to camp.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Reign Nateo

It's almost like some people around here don't watch hockey outside the Canucks... Jordan Schroeder a better option than Jason Arnott for 3rd line C? Give your heads a shake. Yes Arnott is old by NHL standards, but he had a pretty good season in St. Louis last year and is a presence down the middle. You want 5-8 offensive hopeful Jordan Schroeder on the checking line instead? That's just... I don't even know what to say to that notion...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:10 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
He just scored 17 goals, 34 points on a very competitive Blues team last year who were fantastic defensively...that's not the kind of guy you simply invite to camp.
He had 5 goals and 5 assists in the Blues last 30 games and only 1 point in the playoffs. If we're counting on him to be our 3rd line center we're making a mistake. He can't handle the NHL grind anymore and will be useless by the end of the season.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
He had 5 goals and 5 assists in the Blues last 30 games and only 1 point in the playoffs. If we're counting on him to be our 3rd line center we're making a mistake. He can't handle the NHL grind anymore and will be useless by the end of the season.
Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

He played one playoff series where his team was beaten by the cup champs. Played the same average time on ice he had all year (more in the last 2 games of the seeries) and had 11 shots in the 7 games. If anything he was one of the consistant Blues in that series.

The guy is not done at all and is simply picking his spot. Not sure what you guys are missing.

If you need a 3rd line C (we do) and a veteran (we do) that can handle 10-12 minutes of checking every night while being a presence in front of the net, you can do a lot worse than Jason Arnott that's for sure.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:22 PM
medhatcanuck

I'd definitely take him 100%. Not as our shutdown center but as a center to play with Kassian and Lapierre.

Lapierre - Arnott - Kassian

Looks aight

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Basso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I wouldn't mind Arnott... IMO even though he's slow he's a more versatile fit than Raymond. Over 50% on faceoffs, more take-aways than give-aways... but very few hits.
4th line of all centres : Manny - Lappy - Arnott ?

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:39 PM
pitseleh

The thing about Arnott is that while his point totals don't look bad, he put them up playing soft minutes - 60+% OZone starts and bottom line competition. With that context his numbers aren't great, and he's definitely not getting anything resembling those minutes here. I wouldn't mind him on the fourth line but the Canucks are probably asking a lot if they're signing him to be on a shutdown or two-way third line.

It's fine if Arnott comes cheap, but other than that I'd take a pass.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
turkulad

I think the fit is there - as a matter of fact, if he indeed faltered as the season went on last year in St. Louis, he fits our needs to a t!

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Arnott - Doan
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Raymond - Lapierre - Malhotra

.. and once Kesler comes back, we upgrade quite a bit:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Doan
Higgins - Schroeder/Arnott - Hansen
Raymond - Arnott/Schroeder - Malhotra

.. if Schroeder falters and can't take the heat, we get shallow as hell on C. I absolutely do not want a Sedin-Lapierre-Manny depth in any fathomable situation, which might be possible if are counting too heavily on the guy. Arnott has played 2nd line minutes plenty in his career, so if his biggest problem is slowing down as he wears down, isn't subbing for Kesler the best possible assignment for him? And if he performs well AND Schroeder performs too, our offensive depth is beyond belief. You can pretty trade Raymond right then and there and still we couldn't fit a Lapierre/Malhotra into regular duty when we're all healthy.

Plus, Arnott ain't getting any younger so he'd probably be down on a 1-year-deal, AND would be more cost-effective than a Dominic Moore AND would be more reliable in that 2nd line spot than a project a'la Gilbert Brule/Schroeder.

I just think it's perfect.. am I the only one?

turkulad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:46 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

ewww

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
aandbreatheme

Why on earth is Doan in the line-up? It seems like Arnott is another borderline 3rd C.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:00 PM
turkulad

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Why on earth is Doan in the line-up? It seems like Arnott is another borderline 3rd C.
Okay, without Doan AND Arnott:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Higgins - Raymond
Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Kassian

.. in the scenario Schroeder fails. Yeah, no need for depth, sure.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:06 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

He'd give us a PP 2nd unit guy and that has to be worth something. OTOH I'd be scared to start in the O zone constantly because Sedins and Arnott's line would leave no O zone starts for anyone else.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:09 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
Okay, without Doan AND Arnott:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Higgins - Raymond
Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Kassian

.. in the scenario Schroeder fails. Yeah, no need for depth, sure.
Sure get him for depth if he's a safer bet than Lapz and Malhotra... however, I don't understand why Gillis is only going after Arnott if trying to acquire Doan fails. Their roles have nothing to do with each other... I guess there would be too many forwards on the team? Probably.

aandbreatheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

He played one playoff series where his team was beaten by the cup champs. Played the same average time on ice he had all year (more in the last 2 games of the seeries) and had 11 shots in the 7 games. If anything he was one of the consistant Blues in that series.

The guy is not done at all and is simply picking his spot. Not sure what you guys are missing.

If you need a 3rd line C (we do) and a veteran (we do) that can handle 10-12 minutes of checking every night while being a presence in front of the net, you can do a lot worse than Jason Arnott that's for sure.
I will trust my Blues fan friend who watched him 82 games last year when he says he was done by the end of the year.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
turkulad

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Sure get him for depth if he's a safer bet than Lapz and Malhotra... however, I don't understand why Gillis is only going after Arnott if trying to acquire Doan fails. Their roles have nothing to do with each other... I guess there would be too many forwards on the team? Probably.
I can understand the depth issue. I already forgot Kassian on that first line-up. But hear me out. Excluding the 1st, we have Higgins/Hansen/Booth/Kassian/Raymond now, so without Doan I think we can deal with one additional plug from the system to fill that spot. But even with Doan signed, we are stuck in C with Sedin/Malhotra/Lapierre/Schroeder to start the season and I just don't want to see this and see Schroeder fail to impress. Worst case scenario, we'd have a 1C, two 3C's and a 'tweener. And I think Arnott's point totals from last year screams "upgrade" over Manny/Lappy.

I could also see the "can't sign Doan and Arnott" talk as a means to keep our hand untied with Luongo. Because without moving Luongo or a guy like Ballard, you can't add them both capwise.. we sign them both, and any team taking Lu thinks it's saving us from a bind, as if we weren't on a bit of a bind to begin with.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:23 PM
turkulad

Quote:
I will trust my Blues fan friend who watched him 82 games last year when he says he was done by the end of the year.
I will believe your friend, and instead offer Arnott a chance to burn everything he has left in the tank playing 3 months giving his best on the 2nd, and then let him slip in the 4th confortably to get lesser minutes, so he doesn't lose his breath and burn the team, and help mentor Kassian on that line while he's at it.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:45 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
My die-hard, season ticket holding Blues fan friend had the following to say when I asked "does Arnott have ANYTHING left in the tank?"

"Not really. He had a good start last season, but as the year went on he was less and less visible. If yer team just needed him to fill in until Kesler's healthy, then healthy scratch him or have him periodically fill in when other centers are tired/injured/struggling it may work out, though."
This is really the only possible situation in which i'd be happy with an Arnott signing at this point.

As things stand now, Arnott may look like one of the better options we have to complement Schroeder as the 2/3Cs to start the season with Kesler on the shelf. Once Kesler is back, you could move Arnott into a limited role where he fills in as needed, moving in/out of the lineup and keeping him fresh.

BUT...that's only if it's discussed with Arnott prior to his signing, and he expresses interest in that sort of role. Anybody remember the Mathieu Schneider shenanigans? This smells a lot like that to me and has the potential to go sideways.

I'm still expecting that Gillis finds a way to bring in a very good #3C who can platoon with Schroeder as the #2C to start the season in Kesler's absence. And i would venture that a Luongo deal is probably the best place to start on that...be that bringing one in directly in return, or in fetching some new assets who can be swapped for that #2/3 tweener C elsewhere.

So basically...i wouldn't be happy with just an Arnott signing, but if that's the way it is...it'd better be in that very limited sort of role.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:47 PM
denkiteki

Cheap 1 year contract sure. It might burn a contract spot but the added depth is quite important for this year's team while a prospect (in the spot) is worth virtually nothing to this year's roster and honestly probably a long shot to contribute as much as Arnott.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote