HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phi - mtl

Old
08-01-2012, 01:38 PM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

vCash: 500
Markov is the definition of the word " China Doll". The Flyers pass.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
How in the world can you possibly know how the young players on our roster or even the pool of unheralded prospects moving to the AHL are going to improve, fail, stagnate, get hurt, etc?

There's so much that could happen to a young team like the Flyers or with Markov's health/play that make it impossible to know where both parties would be at the deadline.

I would love to be able to acquire a healthy Markov at the deadline even if it cost us something more or different, but there's simply too much uncertainty for one of the two teams in the OP to not to get screwed.
Quite true. If Courturier or B. Schenn stagnate, then yes there would be something we'd be interested in, otherwise, no.

I'm looking for either one good piece or a decent piece and then maybe extras to complete the deal. The three dimes for a quarter deal don't interest me or help the team at all. We don't need a bunch of third or fourth liners, we already have plenty.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:00 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Markov has isn't injury prone, he just has a bad knee.

The games Markov was missed the past couple of years were:

1: a complete accident where Price skate cut his achilles tendon tendon

2:Tore his acl twice on the same knee.

Injury prone players are ones that are often injuried for different reason, 10 games for this, 10 games for that, etc
I don't care what the injury is, if you keep getting injured even in the same spot, you're injury prone.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:00 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Not sure if people are aware, as they constantly bring up last 3 years. His first injury he got cut with a skate. Not really injury prone for that. His knee injury i understand though.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
no thanks. Habs can keep IR Markov, we'll keep Laughton and our draft pick
Well Laughton isn't worth squat and whats the 30th pick overall really worth...not Markov.
We'll keep Markov ty.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:51 PM
poetryinmotion

So Markov for a nobody and us moving up 10-15ish spots in the draft when we need defense? T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E! Honestly one of the worst proposals I've ever seen and I'm not joking.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Deaner

I feel just fine about Markov's health going forward. Most every North American sports fan knows who Dr. James Andrews is, and know how many careers he has salvaged and resurrected. It's therefore worth noting that Markov's first knee reconstruction, following the Cooke hit in the 2010 playoffs, was performed by a certain Dr. Anthony Miniaci of Cleveland. Markov returned way ahead of schedule, and we all know the end result of that. Markov's most recent surgery WAS performed by Dr. Andrews, and for that reason, I feel very optimistic about the condition of his knee. Even if he's lost a step, that's not going to affect the massive boost he gives to the Habs' transition game. Expect more goals for the team and a return to form of the power play.

To LyricalLyricist above, in the interest of full disclosure, Markov's injury ordeals began with the Grabovski hit in Game 78 of the 2009, thereby torpedoing the Habs' playoff chances and precipitating an easy sweep at the hands of the B's. All this said, Bergevin won't be considering trading Andrei Markov, Canadian citizen and Canadiens' General, especially now when his value is as low as a "healthy" player could possibly be.

Last edited by Deaner: 08-01-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: paragraph-ed
Deaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:33 PM
ericchurchavsfan

in what way is this low risk high reward for the flyers? trade a 1st round pick for a former #2-3 guy that is declining with age.....if he can play more then one shift without getting hurt

ericchurchavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:34 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericchurchavsfan View Post
in what way is this low risk high reward for the flyers? trade a 1st round pick for a former #2-3 guy that is declining with age.....if he can play more then one shift without getting hurt
When did you start watching hockey, last year?

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericchurchavsfan View Post
I hate the trade, but Markov was solidly a #1 defender when he was healthy. I don't know now, since he may have lost a bit with his knee troubles, but before them he was certainly a #1 guy.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I hate the trade, but Markov was solidly a #1 defender when he was healthy. I don't know now, since he may have lost a bit with his knee troubles, but before them he was certainly a #1 guy.
Concur. He was as good as Timonen was in 2008-2009. A bit more offensive then, perhaps a bit less defensively, but close and at a younger age.

Now? who knows really. I can't blame the Habs for not wanting a poor return for the player nor could I blame any team for not wanting to take the risk.

As I said, if he can prove himself healthy, people will be interested. At that point, it would likely depend on the quality of the package and their position in the standings to determine whether Montreal decides to sell or not.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Punkeater

That is a stupid deal for the Habs. If Markov doesn't play 40 games, Montreal have to give their second round pick in 2013 which will probably be in the 30 - 40th range in a very deep draft so. Montreal would never do this and no it doesn't help them rebuild.

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Hugo Sham

montreal is not making this trade. they don't need laughton or a late first. Markov when healthy - and he showed signs of it late in the season is a great top 2 dman. habs have every intention of making playoffs.

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Well Laughton isn't worth squat and whats the 30th pick overall really worth...not Markov.
We'll keep Markov ty.
Get out.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:42 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This is the kind of deal that can be made at the deadline imo. Yes, if Markov is healthy, then Philly is interested and would likely play ball on some appropriate trade offer.

Right now, this is such a big gamble that really doesn't need to be made. The Flyers are a playoff team without Markov whose opportunity to advance would absolutely be bolstered by a truly healthy Markov.

That said, taking a gamble now has the potential to hurt us both this season (by diminishing our assets to fill the gap) and into the future (by costing us a year of development on a player the team likes a lot versus the uncertainty of what might be available in a year in the second round).
If Markov was healthy (all season and at the deadline) there is a high percentage that the Habs will be in the playoff hunt. ie. they wound't entertain a trade for him.

This trade makes little sense for the Habs. They are in no position to trade Markov as he is the key to the Habs success. As for the Flyers, its probably not worth the risk trading a young prospect and picks for Markov - especially given the horrendous prospect pool the Flyers currently have. They need to hold onto any decent prospect by all means.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
There's a lot of montreal D and forwards whose value is tough to gauge at this point. At the deadline, the need and value for markov and others becomes more clear. This thread should be explored then.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote