HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks - Flyers

Old
08-01-2012, 03:22 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
That Jonathan Cheechoo guy once got 56 goals in a season.

If Hartnell can produce those stats again next season, then I'll consider him to be a 1st liner. He needs to prove it wasn't a fluke.
Cheechoo was a complete anomaly. Your post isn't how it works. He's considered to be a 1st liner until he proves it was a fluke.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Edler would be Philly's best dman. Hartnell would be the Canucks 5th best forward. Gillis immediately hangs up the phone.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:27 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
This is really being overblown. Anyone who thinks:

Grossmann - Coburn
Timonen - Schenn
Meszaros - Gervais
Lilja/Gustafsson/Bourdon/Manning/Lauridsen

is a horrible defense is wrong. Is it championship caliber? Questionable. Did the Devils and Kings have a championship caliber defense on paper? The Devils did not, the Kings you could make an argument either way...both played great systems. Flyers need a commitment and execution by their defenders more than they actually need more defenders...

Flyers made a Stanley Cup run with:

Timonen - Coburn
Carle - Pronger
Parent - Krajicek

even w/o Pronger, I'd take our 2012 defense over our 2010 defense.

Do most Philly fans agree with this?

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:30 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post

Nope. Most Philly fans see the struggles of last season and want to knee-jerk into a crippling trade for Yandle or whoever, without taking into account the terrible backchecking by the forwards for much of the season, and the below-average goaltending we got from September-February. This season will be better all around. I guarantee it.

edit: to clarify that last statement, I expect the offense to take a slight hit (losing Carle, JvR, Jagr...but Voracek, Couturier, Schenn all improving), but the defense, as well as team defense, and goaltending to improve. We hopefully won't need to score 5 goals to win games, we'll be able to do so with 3.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:

For one game? No, because Timonen was still in top form, Coburn had just unleashed playoff Coburn for the first time, and Carle and Pronger were clicking great and eating minutes like crazy. Those four guys were phenomenal that Spring.

In the real world? Maybe. You cant have a broken Parent and Krajicek giving up a goal every third time they go out on the ice and try to play your top two pairings for 25 minutes a game. It barely worked for 25 games in the play offs in 2010 and it wouldn't work for eighty two games. This years defense not as good but it's deeper and it has the upside to perform really well. The problems of last year were only partly personnel issues. Some of it was systematic.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:50 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
For one game? No, because Timonen was still in top form, Coburn had just unleashed playoff Coburn for the first time, and Carle and Pronger were clicking great and eating minutes like crazy. Those four guys were phenomenal that Spring.

In the real world? Maybe. You cant have a broken Parent and Krajicek giving up a goal every third time they go out on the ice and try to play your top two pairings for 25 minutes a game. It barely worked for 25 games in the play offs in 2010 and it wouldn't work for eighty two games. This years defense not as good but it's deeper and it has the upside to perform really well. The problems of last year were only partly personnel issues. Some of it was systematic.
Bingo. I'm not giving personnel a complete pass, but I feel strongly that they'll all improve this season (aside from possibly Timonen). That 3rd group in 2010 was disgusting, only playing 5-8 mins a night and allowing a goal or two in that time. Really took away from the other 4 who were outstanding together.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:53 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:

It's tough. I HATED that third pairing. However, Pronger and Timonen were legitimate #1 d-men, whereas we have none now.

Tough decision.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Spice Trader

Pronger himself makes that statement absurd.

he is one of the most dominant D men of this generation. Its like saying Nahville would be better losing weber to gain a couple 3-5 guys. and have better depth.

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

No. Pronger is a league above and, as stated by my fellow Flyer fans, Timmo was even better (as was Carle). Now, we are definitely a lot deeper with 8-9 guys I'd be completely comfortable filling the 6 defense slots, but at the end of the day, Pronger outweighs a bad bottom pairing.

I still can't believe we never made an effort to improve the 5-6 pairing

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:32 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post
Pronger himself makes that statement absurd.

he is one of the most dominant D men of this generation. Its like saying Nahville would be better losing weber to gain a couple 3-5 guys. and have better depth.
One of the main reasons we lost the SCF was due to our third pairing. Have a good 1-6 corps makes me feel very good.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
One of the main reasons we lost the SCF was due to our third pairing. Have a good 1-6 corps makes me feel very good.
And Michael Leighton, who somehow ended back up on the big club his year....FML.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Siludin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Well they got so far in the playoffs with that D now didn't they? (Note I'm talking before Garrison/whatever changes they made happened)
The Canucks lost in the playoffs because, in four rounds, nobody could score on Jonathan Quick

Siludin is offline   Reply With Quote