HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Ottawa Senators buyout Bobby Butler

Old
07-28-2012, 09:27 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Here is an idea:

First: Give Shane Doan what he wants the reported 4 yr contract at $30 mil. Yes it's an overpayment but it brings a big name player to Ottawa who still has quite a bit left in the tank & can play top line minutes for at least a few yrs until the prospects are ready to take his job. Ottawa has the cap space & Doan costs us no assets, if he is willing to come here, Ottawa doesn't have the same issues for him that Montreal would. Doan would sell a lot more season tickets as well.

Second: Trade for Brenden Morrow, another experienced character tough top line player who might not cost that much considering his injury history recently & age & prodcution. Ottawa has the assets so maybe Dallas would take a Condra/Puempel/Daugavins plus pick combination for Morrow. I doubt he would cost any of the blue chip prospects Ottawa covets & I wouldn't do it if that's what Dallas wanted for him.

Third: this now gives Murray all season to find that good young top 4 defenceman he wants to add & he still has some assets to trade for that guy. My guess is that he needs another good young tough right shot defenceman & Bogosian fits what he needs nicely. If he can't make a deal at the beginning of the season he should be able to find a top 4 right shot defenceman at the trade deadline. A Stone/Dreidger combination plus pick for Bogosian might work for both sides.

Michalek - Spezza - Doan
Morrow - Turris - Alfredsson
Latendress - Regin - Silfverberg
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/JOB

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Bogosian
Phillips - Gonchar/Lundin
- next yr Ceci replaces Gonchar in the lineup, he is almost NHL ready now.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
HappyDude
Classless

You have all been brainwashed by Bruce Garrioch to hate on Butler! you have fallen under his siren song! You can twist stats and examples anyway you wish but it makes no difference.Butler will be back, and on that Day I will get my revenge!

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Does this mean we won't get any more "The Butler did it!" headlines?

I'm not sure how I'll go on living in a world like that.

I like that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutz View Post
But I will repeat what I've said, Butler's shown flashes that Condra never has... our bottom-6 seems stacked, no problems there...

Everything else being equal, if I want a contract off the books, I'd buy out the guy without top-6 potential...

I'm not a member of the GM team, so I don't know why this decision was made, but I have to think there's something they didn't like about Butler's offseason, or else why not buy him out in June?
I would have kept Butler over Daugavins, but not Condra. Erik is a very wise player who still produce decently well for a bottom-6 guy and his defensive awareness and PK ability is excellent. He's in the Chris Kelly mold. That being said, I don't think he should be there after his contract, that's how good I think our prospect pool is...

And that's also why the Sens management have decided to part ways with Butler... They think they have several prospects who will be better and wanted to have some kind of room to prove it

I think Condra will have a career in the NHL, i.e. more than 2-3 years. He's basically of lower version of Chris Kelly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Butler doesn't have the work ethic, or the hockey sense to make any nhl top 6
Basically this... but Butler can be a goals scorer stop gap, and that's how he should be able to get another contract or 2 in the NHL. If he was a better skater, he'd probably be a much bigger threat, too bad for him

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:32 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
You have all been brainwashed by Bruce Garrioch to hate on Butler! you have fallen under his siren song! You can twist stats and examples anyway you wish but it makes no difference.Butler will be back, and on that Day I will get my revenge!
you're missing a point already mentioned... nobody claimed the kid off waivers.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Here is an idea: First: Give Shane Doan what he wants the reported 4 yr contract at $30 mil. Yes it's an overpayment but it brings a big name player to Ottawa who still has quite a bit left in the tank & can play top line minutes for at least a few yrs until the prospects are ready to take his job. Ottawa has the cap space & Doan costs us no assets, if he is willing to come here, Ottawa doesn't have the same issues for him that Montreal would. Doan would sell a lot more season tickets as well.
I'd be wary of a deal like this considering Doan's age and style of play. He's regressed from his career high to ~55pts in the past three seasons. He'd still be good for 50-60pts, and it might be worth the high price for the first couple years, but it would be a 35+ contract that would see us paying him $7.5 million when he's 39.

Doan may sell a lot of season tickets, but do you think he'll sell enough to recoup the$7,500,000 we'd be paying him each year? I wouldn't take him, personally, at anything over $6,500,000 per year, and front-loaded at that. He carries a pretty big risk with him.

Quote:
Second: Trade for Brenden Morrow, another experienced character tough top line player who might not cost that much considering his injury history recently & age & prodcution. Ottawa has the assets so maybe Dallas would take a Condra/Puempel/Daugavins plus pick combination for Morrow. I doubt he would cost any of the blue chip prospects Ottawa covets & I wouldn't do it if that's what Dallas wanted for him.
Morrow's interesting, but what kind of prospect + pick combination are we talking about? We don't have a 2013 2nd rounder, so it would either have to be a first or a future pick for Morrow. Dallas seems to be intent on competing this year, so I doubt they move Morrow for anything less than a middling prospect + 2nd rounder or a good prospect + lower pick.

Puempel + 2013 3rd rounder could get it done, but I'd prefer to keep Puempel than have one year of Morrow.

Quote:
Third: this now gives Murray all season to find that good young top 4 defenceman he wants to add & he still has some assets to trade for that guy. My guess is that he needs another good young tough right shot defenceman & Bogosian fits what he needs nicely. If he can't make a deal at the beginning of the season he should be able to find a top 4 right shot defenceman at the trade deadline. A Stone/Dreidger combination plus pick for Bogosian might work for both sides.

Michalek - Spezza - Doan

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Bogosian
A piece like Bogosian would complete our defense, but he appears virtually untouchable for Winnipeg. (Good god, in a couple years that would be a beautiful defense with Ceci, though.) He's a cheap, young, strong, and capable defender with the ability to chip in offensively. Their fans claim he's the most untouchable piece on the team (E. Kane's another story) and the return for him would need to be very valuable + cheap for the Jets to be interested.

Stone + Dreidger + 1st for Bogosian? I'm not sure even that would be enough to persuade them to part with Bogo. That's a lot of question marks for a premier young defenseman already in the NHL.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ View Post
I'd be wary of a deal like this considering Doan's age and style of play. He's regressed from his career high to ~55pts in the past three seasons. He'd still be good for 50-60pts, and it might be worth the high price for the first couple years, but it would be a 35+ contract that would see us paying him $7.5 million when he's 39.

Doan may sell a lot of season tickets, but do you think he'll sell enough to recoup the$7,500,000 we'd be paying him each year? I wouldn't take him, personally, at anything over $6,500,000 per year, and front-loaded at that. He carries a pretty big risk with him.

Morrow's interesting, but what kind of prospect + pick combination are we talking about? We don't have a 2013 2nd rounder, so it would either have to be a first or a future pick for Morrow. Dallas seems to be intent on competing this year, so I doubt they move Morrow for anything less than a middling prospect + 2nd rounder or a good prospect + lower pick.

Puempel + 2013 3rd rounder could get it done, but I'd prefer to keep Puempel than have one year of Morrow.

Michalek - Spezza - Doan

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Bogosian

A piece like Bogosian would complete our defense, but he appears virtually untouchable for Winnipeg. (Good god, in a couple years that would be a beautiful defense with Ceci, though.) He's a cheap, young, strong, and capable defender with the ability to chip in offensively. Their fans claim he's the most untouchable piece on the team (E. Kane's another story) and the return for him would need to be very valuable + cheap for the Jets to be interested.

Stone + 1st for Bogosian? I'm not sure even that would be enough to persuade them to part with Bogo. That's a lot of question marks for a premier young defenseman already in the NHL.
Stone + 1st is not even remotely close.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
lol...

Did Bogosian recently turn water in to wine, or heal lepers?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
lol...

Did Bogosian recently turn water in to wine, or heal lepers?
Yes and yes.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Stone + 1st is not even remotely close.
Yeah, I was just using the example from the original post. Hence why I mentioned it was a lot of question marks for a proven young player on the rise.

I'm not sure what we could offer to entice Winnipeg into a deal for Bogosian. Possibly something centred around Michalek.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Why would they give him up?

You think any team would be able to pry Karlsson out of us?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
When I get feeling this way, I usually sit down with a cigar and a big bowl of cherries and just eat and smoke and smoke and eat.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 09:58 PM
salomonster

Stay the course.

Doan is not coming to Ottawa.

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomonster View Post
Stay the course.

Doan is not coming to Ottawa.
Yeah, probably not. I don't want him at 4 years for 7.5 per that's for sure. People might like it now, but in a year or two most if not all would hate that contract.

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:53 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Just a question, but does anybody know how many contracts we're at now that Butler's bought out?

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Bob Kudelski

Butler is a brandon bochenski type player. He'll bounce around a bit, then disappear to Europe.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:50 PM
koreaboy

butler = bochenski is a very good comparable. i've always thought that about butler.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
Butler is a brandon bochenski type player. He'll bounce around a bit, then disappear to Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
butler = bochenski is a very good comparable. i've always thought that about butler.
I thought so too. in future the Sens better not get too excited about players whose initials are BB.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Quo
I, too, don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Just a question, but does anybody know how many contracts we're at now that Butler's bought out?
50 on the button IIRC.

Quick glance at capgeek indicates likewise.

Some of those are bound to be sliders though.

Quo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
I'm guessing 47 or 48 by the time the season starts, with Puempel and Noesen sliding.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote