HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo XXVI - Love me Lu (Admin Warning: Post 178)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 05:20 PM
FireEverybody*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
If this is true then there are a lot of incompetent GM's around, including the ones in Toronto and Florida. It's reasonable to say that teams aren't willing to give up the farm for Lu but to insinuate that they aren't or shouldn't be interested in significantly upgrading their goaltending defies logic. There is definitely a market for Luongo and I think you'll be surprised at what a team will give up in the end.
If the Leafs or Panthers were willing to give up what you expect Luo would not be a Canuck today.

I still don't understand why Canuck fans insist the Panthers need him, and should pay a premium. No one outside of Van does, tbh.

Burke is stubborn at the best of times and is not really a Gillis fan.
It would be a shocker if he actually gives in to his demands. Specifically when ... no one actually believes their is this huge market for Lu atm.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:23 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
If the Leafs or Panthers were willing to give up what you expect Luo would not be a Canuck today. I still don't understand why Canuck fans insist the Panthers need him, and should pay a premium. No one outside of Van does, tbh.

Burke is stubborn at the best of times and is not really a Gillis fan.
It would be a shocker if he actually gives in to his demands. Specifically when ... no one actually believes their is this huge market for Lu atm.
To turn it around, if Gillis were willing to trade Luongo for what the Leafs and Panthers were offering then he would be a Leaf or Panther already.
Gillis is stubborn. It will be a shocker if he actually gives into Burke's demands. No one actually believes that Burke will go with Scrivens/Reimer or that there is any alternative starting goalies available.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:28 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
To turn it around, if Gillis were willing to trade Luongo for what the Leafs and Panthers were offering then he would be a Leaf or Panther already.
Gillis is stubborn. It will be a shocker if he actually gives into Burke's demands. No one actually believes that Burke will go with Scrivens/Reimer or that there is any alternative starting goalies available.
Sure we will go with Reimer .. That is fine and would not be a shocker.
Burke has been saying that all summer. Same thing he said last year and it was working reasonably well till Reimer went down.

Burke has no problem with sleeping in the bed he made.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
technically they both mutually consented on it.
That's the stance that they have taken in order to save Luongo some grief but it's pretty obvious that this is what he wants. Gillis is on record as saying that he would not ask anyone to trade their NTC's, all Luongo had to do was keep his mouth shut if he wanted to stay.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Burke has been saying that all summer. Same thing he said last year and it was working reasonably well till Reimer went down.

Burke says a lot of things. Sometimes, I think Burke just talks sot hat Burke can hear Burke talk about Burke. Gillis has said that he won't move Luongo until the right deal is found. I guess it's a matter of who's word you believe. As someone that has seen both guys run my team, I can tell you who most of us believe is blowing smoke.

As for Burkes bed, it'll end up being the same one he made in Vancouver: Fine team with a terminal case of missing goalie. I don't believe for a second that Luongo is the only option out there, merely that he would be the best available option for Toronto.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:33 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Sure we will go with Reimer .. That is fine and would not be a shocker.Burke has been saying that all summer. Same thing he said last year and it was working reasonably well till Reimer went down.

I'll guess we'll agree to disagree. The odds of Burke sticking with what was one of the worst goaltenders statistically last year are not very high, IMO. Reimer went down about 6 games into the season or so as I recall so that is not much of a sample size to say that it was working reasonably well.

Last edited by vanwest: 08-01-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick
Keep Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I'd take Bozak, Gunnarsson, 1st for Luongo, 3rd/Alberts.

Explain why Roberto's contract is bad?
You're being greedy. I was thinking more along the lines of ~ Bozak + Colborne/Ashton + 2nd. Fills a hole, alleviates cap-space, and stocks the cupboards all in one fell swoop - you could consider that a favour.

Roberto's contract isn't so bad but I wouldn't call it good either. He's signed until his 43rd birthday but retirement will kick in at his 40th (at the latest) - that's not an entirely great time to have to hold on to an expensive asset. The only thing good about it is the cap-hit.

Roberto's contract isn't the only thing bringing down his value though, the market isn't great. Outside of Chicago (probably the best fit but within the Conference), Toronto (probably most desperate), and Florida (I don't think the feeling is as mutual as Luongo would like it to be), who else is interested? On top of that, I think Gillis is pricing himself out. His demands are too high but he knows he can drag this on for another few months before it has to end.

See you three threads from now

Old
08-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Explain why Roberto's contract is bad?
Because there's a fair chance he's past his prime and his play will start to degrade at some point over the next few years.

Because you owe him close to $7 million for each of the next 6 years and beyond that you are committed to 4 more years at $5.3 million cap hit which you may or may not be able to avoid depending on whatever CBA rules are in place at the point you no longer want him on your team.

There are a lot of teams who would be unwilling to take on that commitment if they could pick him up on waivers let alone trade anything significant to get him.

It may be a fine contract if you want to keep him and believe he's going to be a top goaltender until he's 42 but if you're going to try and trade him it's not a good contract. It's clearly evident by the lack of suitors who have shown interest and the inability so far for a deal to be made.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:39 PM
MikeK

vCash: 50
Quote:

I highly doubt Burke wants to go with 2 unproven goalies in what will most likely be his final kick at the playoffs as T.O's GM. He has said since the end of last season that he wants a proven Vet to solidify the net for T.O.

It might be his bed to sleep in right now but another season like the last 7 and it won't be his bed anymore.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
It may be a fine contract if you want to keep him and believe he's going to be a top goaltender until he's 42 but if you're going to try and trade him it's not a good contract. It's clearly evident by the lack of suitors who have shown interest and the inability so far for a deal to be made.
These deals are hard to make. Bobby Ryan is on a nice contract and he hasn't been dealt yet. Is that because teams aren't interested? What about Keith Yandle?

Old
08-01-2012, 05:42 PM
FireEverybody*

I love how Reimers first year he played great for 37 games and everyone laughed about sample size, second year he gets ran the **** over and ends up playing poorly over 34 games and he is terrible.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I love how Reimers first year he played great for 37 games and everyone laughed about sample size, second year he gets ran the **** over and ends up playing poorly over 34 games and he is terrible.
No one said he is terrible. What people are saying, including some Leaf fans, is that Burke would be foolish to go with two young unproven goalies. That was tried last year with Reimer and the Monster.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:51 PM
jrgtml67

My outlook on this situation stays the same as before......Gillis is being too stubborn, and now I have a great example....look at Howsen's dealing of Nash; everyone expected big names going to CBJ instead it was a deal that seemingly could have happened way earlier (trade deadline day), in my opinion Howsen took less and finally gave in. Gillis would be a fool to start the year with Lu and Corey. People say we shouldnt start with Reimer in Scrives, well at least its a fight for #1 goalie, whereas in Vancouver, the team has spoken and given Corey the nod, meaning Lu is #2....with his contract and money he is making if I were an owner, I would be saying look Mike this is ridiculous, we are paying Lu a ton of money over a long term and he is sitting on the bench...get it done or your gone

Old
08-01-2012, 05:54 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
My outlook on this situation stays the same as before......Gillis is being too stubborn, and now I have a great example....look at Howsen's dealing of Nash; everyone expected big names going to CBJ instead it was a deal that seemingly could have happened way earlier (trade deadline day), in my opinion Howsen took less and finally gave in. Gillis would be a fool to start the year with Lu and Corey. People say we shouldnt start with Reimer in Scrives, well at least its a fight for #1 goalie, whereas in Vancouver, the team has spoken and given Corey the nod, meaning Lu is #2....with his contract and money he is making if I were an owner, I would be saying look Mike this is ridiculous, we are paying Lu a ton of money over a long term and he is sitting on the bench...get it done or your gone
Well you're not the owner and most Canuck's fans don't care how much money our owner needs to shell out.
Obviously it's not ideal to keep Luongo but if the offers don't help Vancouver then I see little risk in being patient. The Nash example doesn't seem like a very good one because you're saying that Howson passed up good offers that could have helped his team. If Gillis is being offered crap then what is the downside to waiting? Slightly worse crap? Not a big risk, IMO.

Now Burke on the other hand, went with Reimer and the Monster last year and now Leaf fans think it's a good idea to go with Reimer and Scrivens this year. I know that if I was a Leaf fan I would not be happy.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:56 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick
Keep Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
These deals are hard to make. Bobby Ryan is on a nice contract and he hasn't been dealt yet. Is that because teams aren't interested? What about Keith Yandle?
Neither Bobby Ryan nor Keith Yandle are goalies and, as such, aren't susceptible to the task of bench-warming as Roberto Luongo is with Cory Schneider. The examples you chose aren't good representations of the (im)pending Luongo trade

Old
08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Neither Bobby Ryan nor Keith Yandle are goalies and, as such, aren't susceptible to the task of bench-warming as Roberto Luongo is with Cory Schneider. The examples you chose aren't good representations of the (im)pending Luongo trade
Semantics. Lu playing 30 vs Lu playing 50. Point is, with the crap spouted about goalies being worth far less, and being harder to move, and there not being interest....Ryan or Yandle examples make their his point fine. Star players aren't just moved on a whim with out disastrous results.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:03 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
You're being greedy. I was thinking more along the lines of ~ Bozak + Colborne/Ashton + 2nd. Fills a hole, alleviates cap-space, and stocks the cupboards all in one fell swoop - you could consider that a favour.

Roberto's contract isn't so bad but I wouldn't call it good either. He's signed until his 43rd birthday but retirement will kick in at his 40th (at the latest) - that's not an entirely great time to have to hold on to an expensive asset. The only thing good about it is the cap-hit.

Roberto's contract isn't the only thing bringing down his value though, the market isn't great. Outside of Chicago (probably the best fit but within the Conference), Toronto (probably most desperate), and Florida (I don't think the feeling is as mutual as Luongo would like it to be), who else is interested? On top of that, I think Gillis is pricing himself out. His demands are too high but he knows he can drag this on for another few months before it has to end.

See you three threads from now
Took some time away from these threads, then I came back and read all of it... I have a problem...

Anyway, I could be ok with something around Bozak, Colborne, but I would want a 1st. I think with Lui, it would be a mid late 1st, or a high second. A high second is not enough. If it was Bozak Kadri, I could be convinced to go with a second.

From Florida, so much interests me, but Florida fans seem unwilling to give any value.

I think Lick hit the nail on the head too, we will have to wait until Doan is signed by whoever before we see a deal.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:08 PM
jrgtml67

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Well you're not the owner and most Canuck's fans don't care how much money our owner needs to shell out.
Obviously it's not ideal to keep Luongo but if the offers don't help Vancouver then I see little risk in being patient. The Nash example doesn't seem like a very good one because you're saying that Howson passed up good offers that could have helped his team. If Gillis is being offered crap then what is the downside to waiting? Slightly worse crap? Not a big risk, IMO.

Now Burke on the other hand, went with Reimer and the Monster last year and now Leaf fans think it's a good idea to go with Reimer and Scrivens this year. I know that if I was a Leaf fan I would not be happy.
Look Reimer started hot, and got kneed it the back of the head by Gionta (who didnt even get a 1 game suspension) which is garbage, he couldnt bounce back, and Monster played not bad, but not good enough, always let in the crap goals. Scrivens got called up and did play great....now the other part is our TEAM DEFENSE, not just defenceman was terrible and that was thanks to Wilson's completely offensive mind. Funny how you Canucks boo Luongo, and say its his fault when it was ur supposed big gun offense that could solve Quick as much as Luongo didnt play his best, and then again Corey's results were the same as Luongos you guys still lost. I may not be an owner, but if your happy with your team giving that kind of cap room up for a bench warmer, then something is wrong with that. Thats like Boudreau sitting OV because of attitude or what not...big name guy, making big cash to sit on the bench? Look where it got Bruce...FIRED !

Burke is the guy along with Nonis that built half the team that got you guys to the cup, and Burke built the team that won ANA the cup ! Burke has put together a power house in the Marlies in the time he has been here, along with add more power this off season. Burke is being a damn genius in waiting for new CBA to come out before further handicapping our team. Look at Parise, Suter, Weber signing...when new CBA comes out there is probably going to be a max term you can give a player and it wont be 13yrs itll be somewhere around 6 or 7yrs..meaning that the cap hit on guys I just mentioned is going to handcuff those franchise's in to trading players for a lower price then normal and that is when Burke pounces...and Vancouver will be a team slated to handcuff itself if Gillis wont lower his price on Luongo. You cant go out there and say our #1 is Corey, and expect teams to pay huge...now if Vancouver said it was a toss up, and they were going to wait for camp to decide maybe teams would give up more.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:14 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post

Roberto owns a modified-NTC ! Asking him to waive this year isn't respecting the contract you signed him to. The trade window in Luongo's contract is in 2 years or 4...
Gillis hasn't asked him to waive his no trade clause.

Luongo suggested it on his own.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:

Burke says a lot of crap.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick
Keep Kessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Semantics. Lu playing 30 vs Lu playing 50. Point is, with the crap spouted about goalies being worth far less, and being harder to move, and there not being interest....Ryan or Yandle examples make their his point fine. Star players aren't just moved on a whim with out disastrous results.
Not semantics at all. If the Ducks keep Ryan, he plays. If the Canucks keep Luongo they have themselves a goalie controversy. As for Yandle, why is he even in the discussion? Has he expressed a desire to leave Phoenix? Referencing Ryan or Yandle is just grasping at straws.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:21 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Look Reimer started hot, and got kneed it the back of the head by Gionta (who didnt even get a 1 game suspension) which is garbage, he couldnt bounce back, and Monster played not bad, but not good enough, always let in the crap goals. Scrivens got called up and did play great....now the other part is our TEAM DEFENSE, not just defenceman was terrible and that was thanks to Wilson's completely offensive mind. Funny how you Canucks boo Luongo, and say its his fault when it was ur supposed big gun offense that could solve Quick as much as Luongo didnt play his best, and then again Corey's results were the same as Luongos you guys still lost. I may not be an owner, but if your happy with your team giving that kind of cap room up for a bench warmer, then something is wrong with that. Thats like Boudreau sitting OV because of attitude or what not...big name guy, making big cash to sit on the bench? Look where it got Bruce...FIRED !
Reimer started out hot for what? 6 games? The year before that the Monster was supposed to be the saviour. I watched a lot of Leaf games last year and I saw too many games where Reimer let in a softy from just inside the blue line and the team deflated. I know he had a concussion and I'm not saying that he can't bounce back but it would be foolish to bank on it happening. To suggest that Burke will go with two untested goalies, one of which was amongst the worst in the league last year, doesn't seem credible to me.

Vancouver has two really good goalies. I can't see how people can say that Gillis is more desperate when he has two good goalies as opposed to Burke who has big question marks in net. It seems like Burke is in the worse position to me.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:21 PM
rune74

Quote:

Burke is the guy along with Nonis that built half the team that got you guys to the cup, and Burke built the team that won ANA the cup ! Burke has put together a power house in the Marlies in the time he has been here, along with add more power this off season. Burke is being a damn genius in waiting for new CBA to come out before further handicapping our team. Look at Parise, Suter, Weber signing...when new CBA comes out there is probably going to be a max term you can give a player and it wont be 13yrs itll be somewhere around 6 or 7yrs..meaning that the cap hit on guys I just mentioned is going to handcuff those franchise's in to trading players for a lower price then normal and that is when Burke pounces...and Vancouver will be a team slated to handcuff itself if Gillis wont lower his price on Luongo. You cant go out there and say our #1 is Corey, and expect teams to pay huge...now if Vancouver said it was a toss up, and they were going to wait for camp to decide maybe teams would give up more.
Heh, partial credit for the canucks and full credit for anahiem? Whatever. This is getting way old.

This thread is getting useless and the usual suspects are in.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
Typical. A vanccouver fan who likely didn't watch a single Panther game trying to tell Panther fans what their problems were last season. If you watched even one game. You would know Florida's goaltending was extremely strong and their goal scoring was awful.
it's just as ridiculous as people predicting what the Canucks dressing room will be like with both goalies if they decide to start the season that way.
people talking about what they don't know is typical, deal with it.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:23 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

I dont think you understand what removing the long term cap circumvention contracts will do to the league.

Instead of star players signing for decent cap hits 7.5 for Parise, Suter, and Weber is a steal, they'll sign shorter deals with larger cap hits.

With a 70 million cap, players can earn 14 million annually....guys will just start to sign 7 year deals for max cap hits...that is the way it goes.

Not to mention your point about who is the #1, Gillis has already stated publicly, if both goalies are in camp, there will be a competition for the #1 position. At this time, all things point to Schneider, BUT they all pointed to Rask in Boston a few years ago too (I know more of an exception than the norm, but it happens).

Closed Thread