Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

vCash: 500
Its good hockey to watch in the summer as well. And for me, its a good gauge on some players. Justin Scott looked strong from the get-go and undoubtedly that played a hand in his being signed. This league was also the first hint as to Tanner Pearson's stellar season last year as well

For me it serves a purpose as well.

You are right. Stats mean eff all. But still fun to look at for colts fans.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:32 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
You miss the point, Carnovale runs this to make a buck, more teams more bucks!

Yes, points mean nothing as accuracy is out to lunch.

My son plays and is enjoying the bump up in speed and skill level from minor midget. Alot of the minor midget players just entering this summer league find it useful in terms of acclimatizing themselves to playing against bigger, stronger, faster players.

As a once a week summer league to keep the legs going and generally not alot of nonsense (trouble-makes get kicked out) it serves its purpose.
Oh I know Carnevale is making a serious buck on this league that hasn't been overlooked for sure.

But extra teams means watered down games and that's what has contributed to the success of the Gagnon brothers Wednesday League with Carnevale in that all those OHL players want to compete with one another and not even against Tier 2 guys.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Geesch....sounds like he'll be in Barrie sooner than later when he gets kicked out of the NCAA!
Not sure if he'll mix well with Dave Branch either!
I agree. I have watched him in the GTHL for a couple of years and think that he is a gong show. He is far too chippy to be an NCAA player and will get the crap kicked out of him in the O. I know of boys his age drooling at the thought of him playing for Barrie next year so they can give him a licking.

Sad part is, kid has talent.

Old
07-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
I agree. I have watched him in the GTHL for a couple of years and think that he is a gong show. He is far too chippy to be an NCAA player and will get the crap kicked out of him in the O. I know of boys his age drooling at the thought of him playing for Barrie next year so they can give him a licking.

Sad part is, kid has talent.
In the same game the kid got tossed for beating his opponent in a fight with a helmet, he was cussing out his own teamates for going off-side. I couldn't beleieve it given his teamates were bigger, older kids!

Have heard lots and lots of stories about him, and witnessed my fair share. For his sake, I REALLY hope he grows up fast as I agree he has talent but this could be his downfall.

Old
07-27-2012, 03:08 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
In the same game the kid got tossed for beating his opponent in a fight with a helmet, he was cussing out his own teamates for going off-side. I couldn't beleieve it given his teamates were bigger, older kids!

Have heard lots and lots of stories about him, and witnessed my fair share. For his sake, I REALLY hope he grows up fast as I agree he has talent but this could be his downfall.
Such a shame... I hope he plays for the Colts and some of the vets put him in his place.

Old
07-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

a lot is ebing made out of a few incidents....the kid grew up with heavy expectations...it cannot be easy....

He's a good kid who just needs to calm down and play his game..his game is good enough to be effective at this level immediately....

Old
07-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

so, fellow colts fans...give me your starting night line-up as the team sits...help Jason and Dale out a bit

Old
08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
DEVSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
so, fellow colts fans...give me your starting night line-up as the team sits...help Jason and Dale out a bit
Well, as of now many things can happen before opening night. Trades will be made, players will be signed. As the team sits now, here are my predictions.
Line 1:
LW C RW
Tanner Pearson Mark Scheifele Anthony Camara
LD RD
Chris Buonomo Aaron Ekblad
For the first line, I have placed Pearson and Scheifele on LW and C. With the possibility of an NHL lockout both players have a better chance in returning than usual. If the colts recieve the two power forwards than Barrie could have a chance in going big this year. Buonomo and Ekblad are the two first line defenceman. Buonomo's main focus is to mentor the younger players and help keep the opossing team from scoring. Ekblad as we all know will be a powerhouse defender which will help out the backend tremendously.

Line 2:
LW C RW
Josh Macdonald Zach Hall Brendan Perlini
LD RD
Alex Yuill Alex Lepkowski
With the second line, I selected Macdonald for the LW spot. As the 2012 13 playoffs were ending, he seemed to be really heating up. I feel that he could be 2nd line appropriate in our case scenerio. Zach Hall of course had a breakout season putting up about a point per game with the Colts. He just recently travelled to Vancouver for the Canuks rookie camp which would have had an effect on his game. Brendan Perlini, of couse is an excellent player and he will really have a say in how Barrie does in the future. After seeing him in the Colts' rookie camp I could really tell how he plays. He seems to be an all around player who can play RW as well as the Left. Alex Yuill, of couse should have a good season this year. As for Lepkowski, he will be a good defender who will really stick up for the younger guys.

Line 3:
LW C RW
Brendan Bell Erik Bradford Justin Scott
LD RD
Marcel Fatovic Johnathan Laser
The 3rd should be one of the top scoring 3rd lines in the OHL, if not in the middle. Brendan Bell is a very good forechecker who finishes his checks. Bradford and Scott are more of the offensive types who have great puck skill and hockey sense. Marcel Fatovic of course was invited to the ''Under 17 Provincial Camp'' along with fellow drafties, Perlini, Blackwood, and Garcia. Finally Johnathan Laser, I believe wil, have a solid season with the Colts this year. Last season he was very aggressive in almost every game he played. He has a bright future.

Line 4:
LW C RW
Samu Markulla Dylan Corson Dylan Smoskowitz
D
CJ Garcia
The 4th line is a very gritty line. The Finland native Samu Markulla is a very gritty forward who has great hockey sense. Last year he played for the JYP Juniors and recorded 39 points in 38 games. Dylan Corson has a big body and which allows him to sheild the puck away from other players. A change of scenery could of been what he needed to improve his game. Dylan Smoskowitz has potenial to be a quality goal scorer but will probably be there to help mentore the young guns. Cj Garcia is a mobile puck moving defender who will really help out on the back end in the future.

Goalies: Mathias Neiderburger
Alex Fotinos
I can really see Neiderburger having a breakout season for the Colts this year. When it is time for him to play for Germany in the World Juniors then it will be Fotinos' time to shine. The future is bright for our Goaltending.

How about trades? I just recently scanned an article about the Barrie Colts' trading situation. We have nine overagers as of now. Im sure 1 or 2 will become pro but we have a lot of players to be trading.

My name is Devin and I am 13 years old.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Good job Devin...I love the line combos!

Old
08-01-2012, 05:59 PM
DEVSTER

Quote:
Good job Devin...I love the line combos!
LoL. Thanks for the comment

Old
08-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Wouldnt mind Sutch i peterborough, maybe he is part of the rumoured Petes/Colts deal.... Trojanovic for Sutch swap anybody?
Colts would do that in a New York minute. Not so sure the Petes would.

Old
08-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Pony

Quote:
a lot is ebing made out of a few incidents....the kid grew up with heavy expectations...it cannot be easy....

He's a good kid who just needs to calm down and play his game..his game is good enough to be effective at this level immediately....
Agree. He's the type of kid everyone loves to have on their team, but his opponents absolutely hate to play against. His great and skill would be perfect fit for Colts.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Johnsb

Devster, that looks good. I'm not sure Perlini will walk into the O and be a top 6 guy from day one. I would change with Bradford or Bell in that spot.

Overall a good line-up.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:27 PM
coltsfan3035

Racer, my projected lineup, this is saying that there will not be an NHL lockout.

Forwards

Macdonald Hall Camara
Bell Traded Centre Beyers/Sutch(OA)
Perlini Bradford Markulla(Euro)
Scott Corson Seraphim
Smoskowitz Klie

Defense

Lepkowski Buonomo(OA)
Yuill Ekblad
Laser Traded Depth Dman
Garcia

Goaltending

Neiderberger(OA, Euro)
Fotinos

I think with the amount of OA candidates we have, OConnor can be traded for a depth younger dman or a good centreman, Hartwick will be gone, and Sutch has good trade value also. Buonomo is a key guy on the PK and can play some PP also, also wore an A and great in the locker room. Beyers will likely stay as Dale likes the Orangeville boys, but Sutch can fit that role also. Neiderberger is taking up an OA, Euro and goalie spot, which is rare, but we should see Fotinos getting more games aswell. This is my projected lineup barring any crazy deals or nhl lockout.
Also added in Mitchell Klie, forgot about him.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:28 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan3035 View Post
Racer, my projected lineup, this is saying that there will not be an NHL lockout.

Forwards

Macdonald Hall Camara
Scott Corson Seraphim
Smoskowitz Klie

Defense

Lepkowski Buonomo(OA)
Yuill Ekblad
Laser Traded Depth Dman
Garcia

Goaltending

Neiderberger(OA, Euro)
Fotinos

I think with the amount of OA candidates we have, OConnor can be traded for a depth younger dman or a good centreman, Hartwick will be gone, and Sutch has good trade value also. Buonomo is a key guy on the PK and can play some PP also, also wore an A and great in the locker room. Beyers will likely stay as Dale likes the Orangeville boys, but Sutch can fit that role also. Neiderberger is taking up an OA, Euro and goalie spot, which is rare, but we should see Fotinos getting more games aswell. This is my projected lineup barring any crazy deals or nhl lockout.
I would agree with most of that but I would say Scheifele is gonna be back. And congrats to Tanner Pearson on signing his ELC with the Kings.

Old
08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:

Forwards

Macdonald Hall Camara
Scott Corson Seraphim
Smoskowitz Klie

Defense

Lepkowski Buonomo(OA)
Yuill Ekblad
Laser Traded Depth Dman
Garcia

Goaltending

Neiderberger(OA, Euro)
Fotinos

Great lineup! Seems like the consensus here wants Buonomo to stay and OC to go...I fear that management has the exact opposite in mind...would be a big mistake imo...

We obviously need some scoring help, and from what I hear it may be coming...look towards a swap within the conference to get that done...

Old
08-05-2012, 10:53 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Lepkowski Buonomo(OA)
Yuill Ekblad
Laser Traded Depth Dman
Garcia
This defence makes a lot of sense. Buonomo absolutely should be back - the image of him in between periods after OT in the playoffs was one of the defining moments for this team last season. I think that he provides great leadership and pairing him with Lepkowski to take on the top scoring lines will take the pressure off of Ekblad and Yuill to shine offensively. It's time for these two to start playing together...and playing together a lot...in 2013-2014 they will be absolutely unstoppable. I predict they'll effectively be the Niedermeyer-Pronger combination of the OHL playing 30-35 minutes a game. Add in Fotinos in net and it will be very difficult to score on next year's Colts team...

A unique look would be to keep both Buonomo and O'Connor. Do without the OA forward (or trade Niederberger) and make this team's strength the D. Imagine:

Lepkowski - Buonomo
Yuill - Ekblad
Laser - O'Connor
Garcia

If need be, trade O'Connor at the deadline...those puck moving D fetch a ransom at that time of year...the team shouldn't lose sight of the fact that 2013-14 is the target year.

Unfortunately, I won't be around to watch much in person for the foreseeable future. For the first time in years I won't have season tickets. I'm moving to Edmonton (already splitting time there) so I guess it's Oilers hockey for me. I won't be able to bring myself to cheer for former Spitfire Hall (I think I'm going to start calling sports talk shows to suggest a Hall for Little and Scheifele deal ). As far as junior goes, the Rebels are my WHL team so I'll make some trips down to see them live...and I'll be relying on you guys (plus OHL streaming) to keep track of the Colts!

This team should be a lot of fun this year - enjoy!

Old
08-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

We will miss yah, Shawn! But you have a great opportunity out there. Enjoy yourself.

I think it is obvious here that Chris Buonomo needs to be the captain of this hockey club. Anything else would be a mistake. If the fans see it, let's hope management does.

Old
08-06-2012, 12:25 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
We will miss yah, Shawn! But you have a great opportunity out there. Enjoy yourself.

I think it is obvious here that Chris Buonomo needs to be the captain of this hockey club. Anything else would be a mistake. If the fans see it, let's hope management does.
Absolutely blows me away how far Buonomo has come... At one point Thowey couldn't even get draft picks for him... He used to take stupid cross checking penalties and checking from behind once a game in Ptbo... Good for the kid to turn it around in a big way and being considered for the C.

Old
08-07-2012, 12:23 PM
LeafsColts13

vCash: 1400
Kinda surprised Ekblad didn't make the under 18 team over some of the others who did. Anybody have any idea why he didn't make it?

Old
08-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsColts13 View Post
Kinda surprised Ekblad didn't make the under 18 team over some of the others who did. Anybody have any idea why he didn't make it?
Wasn't good enough in the days that mattered? He's only 16, lots of time for him to show his elite status. Them's the breaks......

Old
08-07-2012, 02:57 PM
coltsfan3035

Im surprised Ekblad didnt make it, i cant speak for the ppl who saw it firsthand, but from what i heard he had an ok camp. He is an underager still, did anyone go to the camp or watch firsthand? How did Eks look?

Old
08-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Im surprised Ekblad didnt make it, i cant speak for the ppl who saw it firsthand, but from what i heard he had an ok camp. He is an underager still, did anyone go to the camp or watch firsthand? How did Eks look?
Comments copied and pasted from Team Canada U18's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14
Ekblad was awful...so awkward.....extremely worried....

He wasn't that bad. He needs to work on his skating and speed, but he did fine for an under age player. Don't forget Nurse-Ekblad were the pair against Mackinnon-Drouin, most of the time. He could of been considered in the top 7 (bottom 7). But I agree, he did not over power anyone or was better than the first 2 pairs of D. Hence, to next year!

IMO, an underage player, must crack the top 2 lines, or wait your turn.

I'm not worried, he has a bright future ahead of him.

Old
08-07-2012, 03:14 PM
FargoForceFan
Rookie User

CJ Garcia will play for the Fargo Force

There is a lot of talk here that CJ Garcia will be coming state side and playing in the USHL for the Fargo Force.

What are Colts fan hearing?

Old
08-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Comments copied and pasted from Team Canada U18's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14
Ekblad was awful...so awkward.....extremely worried....

He wasn't that bad. He needs to work on his skating and speed, but he did fine for an under age player. Don't forget Nurse-Ekblad were the pair against Mackinnon-Drouin, most of the time. He could of been considered in the top 7 (bottom 7). But I agree, he did not over power anyone or was better than the first 2 pairs of D. Hence, to next year!

IMO, an underage player, must crack the top 2 lines, or wait your turn.

I'm not worried, he has a bright future ahead of him.
I love your optimism...but he was only not bad due to his positioning...he is an extremely smart player...his skating really stood out here and he looked like he had regressed form the 70 times I saw him last season...first pass also didnt seem to have the jam it normally does either.

I am worried because he has always dominated being the bigger stronger kid...now that he isn't....he stood out in the wrong ways...he was beat way too many times for my liking one on one.

Closed Thread