HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boston pundit covets Thornton for NYR

Old
07-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88eight View Post
Would never happen, way too much for Jumbo.
Stepan and Calahan are both more proven for one thing, and we'd need to take some salary and should get a center back as well.
I think adding Del Zotto to my proposal would make it more even, they need a RH PMD and we need a LH, but still Ranger's fans are gonna come in and say my OP is too much.
That is the exact point. Why else would we give him up otherwise?

07-29-2012, 04:27 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
That is the exact point. Why else would we give him up otherwise?
I have no idea haha. It makes no sense, but still I would rather have Stepan and Callahan over Krieder and Hagelin

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
Kreider, Callahan, McDonagh, 1st.

That's what it would REALLY take for DW to pull the trigger, and even then ... he loves Jumbo. If we were rebuilding, I'd settle for Kreider, Stepan, and Hagelin, which is still a LOT 'cause it would destroy all their depth.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88eight View Post
Would never happen, way too much for Jumbo.
Stepan and Calahan are both more proven for one thing, and we'd need to take some salary and should get a center back as well.
I think adding Del Zotto to my proposal would make it more even(with SJ adding a mid pick), they need a RH PMD and we need a LH, but still Ranger's fans are gonna come in and say my OP is too much.
I would disagree that it is too much but it would be the premise for a deal so it can be haggled around. Stepan and Callahan may be more proven but I'm not really interested in Stepan nor am I that interested in Callahan. Good players for sure but I'd rather take a little less up front to get that extra piece in Del Zotto on the back end. Couture and Kreider would be a solid 1-2 center combo for many years. Hagelin would be a solid second line addition, I feel. The team gets plenty quicker up front and gets balance with puck movement on the back end. It also gives them more flexibility to trade Dan Boyle and/or Douglas Murray and/or Jason Demers/Justin Braun if necessary.

Marleau-Pavelski-Havlat
Hagelin-Couture-Clowe
Wingels-Kreider-Burish
Galiardi-Desjardins-Handzus/McCarthy/Sheppard

Del Zotto-Burns
Vlasic-Boyle
Stuart/Murray-Demers/Braun

Yeah, it lacks a top end center but you don't really need that to win in this day and age. But it does give the team better depth overall and much more team speed.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 06:45 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I would disagree that it is too much but it would be the premise for a deal so it can be haggled around. Stepan and Callahan may be more proven but I'm not really interested in Stepan nor am I that interested in Callahan. Good players for sure but I'd rather take a little less up front to get that extra piece in Del Zotto on the back end. Couture and Kreider would be a solid 1-2 center combo for many years. Hagelin would be a solid second line addition, I feel. The team gets plenty quicker up front and gets balance with puck movement on the back end. It also gives them more flexibility to trade Dan Boyle and/or Douglas Murray and/or Jason Demers/Justin Braun if necessary.

Marleau-Pavelski-Havlat
Hagelin-Couture-Clowe
Wingels-Kreider-Burish
Galiardi-Desjardins-Handzus/McCarthy/Sheppard

Del Zotto-Burns
Vlasic-Boyle
Stuart/Murray-Demers/Braun

Yeah, it lacks a top end center but you don't really need that to win in this day and age. But it does give the team better depth overall and much more team speed.
Kreider is a LW, not a C, and Del Zotto is a below-average skater.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Kreider is a LW, not a C, and Del Zotto is a below-average skater.
Kreider can play center as well as left wing. And Del Zotto may not be the fastest d-man, but he is a lot quicker with the puck than pretty much anyone on this team right now.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Kreider can play center as well as left wing. And Del Zotto may not be the fastest d-man, but he is a lot quicker with the puck than pretty much anyone on this team right now.
Kreider is not going to be a center at the NHL level. He doesn't have the defensive awareness or the playmaking ability. I guess he "could" play center in the sense that JVR "is going" to play center. Not ideal. His skillset makes him a natural winger.

I'm not dissing Del Zotto as a player, but he's not good enough to make me want to trade Jumbo. But let's say we did make that trade, and then we did something like Val Filppula for Dan Boyle (which I've seen a couple of times by Wings fans) or some other solid 2nd/3rd line tweener center and then Murray for another 3rd liner like Tyler Kennedy.

Couture-Marleau-Havlat
Kreider-Pavelski-Clowe
Hagelin-Filppula-Kennedy
Burish-Desjardins-Wingels

Vlasic-Burns
Del Zotto-Stuart
Braun-Demers

That's pretty deep, but it really lacks star power. I don't think it'd be worth trading Jumbo if we are going to compete, which DW insists upon doing. If we were going to rebuild, then maybe I'd consider it.

EDIT: But wouldn't it be funny if we traded Jumbo for Kreider, Del Zotto, and Hagelin? That's almost identical to Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Kreider is not going to be a center at the NHL level. He doesn't have the defensive awareness or the playmaking ability. I guess he "could" play center in the sense that JVR "is going" to play center. Not ideal. His skillset makes him a natural winger.

I'm not dissing Del Zotto as a player, but he's not good enough to make me want to trade Jumbo. But let's say we did make that trade, and then we did something like Val Filppula for Dan Boyle (which I've seen a couple of times by Wings fans) or some other solid 2nd/3rd line tweener center and then Murray for another 3rd liner like Tyler Kennedy.

Couture-Marleau-Havlat
Kreider-Pavelski-Clowe
Hagelin-Filppula-Kennedy
Burish-Desjardins-Wingels

Vlasic-Burns
Del Zotto-Stuart
Braun-Demers

That's pretty deep, but it really lacks star power. I don't think it'd be worth trading Jumbo if we are going to compete, which DW insists upon doing. If we were going to rebuild, then maybe I'd consider it.

EDIT: But wouldn't it be funny if we traded Jumbo for Kreider, Del Zotto, and Hagelin? That's almost identical to Sturm, Stuart, and Primeau.
It seems awfully presumptuous of you to write off Kreider as a center at this level when he's 21. How much defensive awareness did Marleau have as a center at that age? It certainly wasn't much. Not every center needs to be a playmaking type either. Couture is making a pretty good name for himself without being that much of one either.

As for your lineup, it may lack star power but that is a playoff caliber team and has the depth to have success there. Sure, it isn't sexy and doesn't have the sexy names but the Cup is sexier anyway. lol

Last edited by Pinkfloyd: 07-29-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old
07-29-2012, 08:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
It seems awfully presumptuous of you to write off Kreider as a center at this level when he's 21. How much defensive awareness did Marleau have as a center at that age? It certainly wasn't much. Not every center needs to be a playmaking type either. Couture is making a pretty good name for himself without being that much of one either.

As for your lineup, it may lack star power but that is a playoff caliber team and has the depth to have success there. Sure, it isn't sexy and doesn't have the sexy names but the Cup is sexier anyway. lol
For god's sake, where do you even get the idea that Kreider should be a center? He played as a LW every time I watched him in college, he played as a LW at the WJC, he's played as a LW in the NHL. I lurk quite a bit in the Rangers forum and I've never seen as much as a hint that Kreider ever has or ever will play center.

Yeah, my lineup is a playoff team and it is quite a bit younger, but it looks significantly worse than any Cup-winning lineup in recent memory except maybe Carolina, and face it, it was freakin' Carolina.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
For god's sake, where do you even get the idea that Kreider should be a center? He played as a LW every time I watched him in college, he played as a LW at the WJC, he's played as a LW in the NHL. I lurk quite a bit in the Rangers forum and I've never seen as much as a hint that Kreider ever has or ever will play center.

Yeah, my lineup is a playoff team and it is quite a bit younger, but it looks significantly worse than any Cup-winning lineup in recent memory except maybe Carolina, and face it, it was freakin' Carolina.
Why so testy? I've seen him play in college too and some was at center. He doesn't always line up as center but did play the position.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Why so testy? I've seen him play in college too and some was at center. He doesn't always line up as center but did play the position.
I wouldn't say testy, just confused that you insist to much.

Lots of players played center in their college years and then never played it again. Dany Heatley, for example, played some center in college.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I wouldn't say testy, just confused that you insist to much.

Lots of players played center in their college years and then never played it again. Dany Heatley, for example, played some center in college.
Too much? I asked why you would write him off one time. I didn't say it was impossible or even unlikely that he'd be a left winger at this level but he has been a center and I wouldn't write him off when his pro level experience is all but the 18 playoff games he's played.

Old
07-29-2012, 08:48 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Too much? I asked why you would write him off one time. I didn't say it was impossible or even unlikely that he'd be a left winger at this level but he has been a center and I wouldn't write him off when his pro level experience is all but the 18 playoff games he's played.
Damnit, I meant "so much".

Sorry if I seemed too accusatory, I was just really confused that you were so sure Kreider could be a center when I'd never heard the slightest indication that he might be. My apologies.

Old
07-29-2012, 09:29 PM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Wow, we must be extremely bored if we're talking about this nonsense!

SonomaShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Didnt read the article, but the fact it has boston in it gives me enough information for why he suggests it.

Deep down inside he would be giddy about thornton being traded twice in his career while wearing the captaincy. It would prove boston was right in that he just cant raise his game to be a true leader.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:54 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:45 AM
sjshrky27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaShark View Post
Wow, we must be extremely bored if we're talking about this nonsense!
this

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Naki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
what that? I have no idea what is going on here.

Naki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:42 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Saw this posted on the rangers board and must say what a stupid assumption. Both teams have no reason to trade thornton because the sharks are still trying to contend and rangers arr set with richards and stepan at C. Other then being an idiot trying to stir the pot whats the point of this guy bringing up rangers wanting thornton because 6 years ago these guys played in the olympics.

I could see trade possibilities that would interest the sharks if they were looking to trade thornton. Sharks could ask for a combo of kreider, hagelin, stepan, mcdonagh, girardi, staal or callahan which would help the sharks get younger and still contend but that would deplete the rangers youth theyve worked so hard to build especially for a piece that's not their top priority..

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:02 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Thornton to NY starts with Stepan, Krieder, JT Miller, and a 1st

He is beyond untouchable right now.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:09 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

There's no way NY would trade Callahan and Stepan for only Thornton

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:45 PM
do0glas

that being said...id like JT to take the puck to the net himself more often. there are a lot of times he revives a dead play to get us a goal, and thats his best attribute in my opinion. he should really set a 25 goal...goal this coming season. if he has marleau on his wing, he has a great passer to link up with. so im expecting more shots out of him, and not just when the other guys cant get the puck in.

too often i see him wait until the last minute to decide to take matters into his own hands when defenders know hes going to pass, keep em guessing next year.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:03 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Bahhh... so bored.

Just trade him. Who cares.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:42 PM
sharski