HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2012 Prospect Rankings - #13

View Poll Results: Who is the Canucks #13 Prospect?
Ben Hutton 0 0%
Wesley Myron 0 0%
Ludwig Blomstrand 0 0%
Matthew Beattie 0 0%
Steven Anthony 0 0%
Peter Andersson 0 0%
Kellan Tochkin 1 0.88%
Alexandre Mallet 52 45.61%
David Honzik 0 0%
Yann Sauve 29 25.44%
Stefan Schneider 0 0%
Bill Sweatt 5 4.39%
Prab Rai 1 0.88%
Alex Friesen 16 14.04%
Pathrik Westerholm 0 0%
Adam Polasek 5 4.39%
Jeremy Price 1 0.88%
Henrik Tommernes 1 0.88%
Alex Grenier 2 1.75%
Darren Archibald 1 0.88%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-01-2012, 01:26 PM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 500
Canucks 2012 Prospect Rankings - #13

Added Stefan Schneider

Canucks Prospects Rankings:
1. Zack Kassian (65%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1230191
2. Nicklas Jensen (58%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1230923
3. Chris Tanev (50%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1232027
4. Eddie Lack (63%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1232603
5. Jordan Schroeder (70%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1233221
6. Brendan Gaunce - (68%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1233885
7. Kevin Connauton - (38%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1234391
8. Frankie Corrado - (64%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1235971
9. Joe Cannata - (49%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1236621
10. Anton Rodin - (39%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1237257
11. Patrick McNally - (60%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1239391
12. Joseph Labate - (40%) - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1239633

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:30 PM
StrictlyCommercial

This one is very close for me between Mallet and Sauve. I feel that they are very similar draft picks in that, they are probably going to be at least bottom line NHL'ers. However, since his draft, Sauve has reinforced his potential as a 5/6 D-man, while Mallet has not yet shown that he doesn't have top 9 potential at forward. As a result, went with Mallet because of potential.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Mason10
Bacon

Friesen

Mason10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason10 View Post
Friesen

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Pseudonymous

Friesen was voted the best face-off man, the best defensive forward, the best penalty killer, and the third hardest worker by OHL coaches

Can put the puck in the net and plays a real hardnosed game! can throw them too

Back in a 2010 piece for Vancouver’s official site, Mike Gillis explained why he picked Friesen.

“He scored in the top-three in our psychological and intelligence testing. He's not a big guy at 5- foot-10, but he's a very, very competitive player. Hardnosed, good skills, can score goals."

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 08-01-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 01:54 PM
arsmaster

Mallet, then Sauve...

I like Friesen, but I feel he is overrated...and his feistiness shouldn't be confused with strength...he's got a long way to go to be able to handle checking or 80% defensive zone starts at the NHL level.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:16 PM
thefeebster

I am going with Mallet as well here. Although we do know little, I liked what I saw. When making the highlight package, you also see all of the GA and he didn't show up frequently at all or stand out in a bad way. He's a strong guy, appears to be an aggressive forechecker, unafraid to use his body to punish and to his advantage in front of the net to get open and get positioning for tips. I think that's what will separate him from our other prospects, the power game. Also a good skater with an excellent shot. I think/hope he'll have a good first pro season.

I agree Friesen is getting a bit over praised here. But I like him as a prospect and can't wait to see what he can do in the AHL.

I also would have Polasek ahead of Sauve. Again, as I said in the previous poll threads, I might be higher on him than most, but I like the way he plays the game, more physical than Sauve, wins more board battles, and is less scrambly in the corners but both are prone to make some miscues with the puck. Polasek also likes to jump up more on the rush and looks good doing so. A year younger in hockey development, I feel he's got a lot more to give this coming season and in the future.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Pseudonymous

Umm we're talking about prospect rank #13. Hes hardly being overrated, by the looks of it, he's going to go at 15, jesus. Its funny considering most dont even make the NHL. I think all im trying to do is get people to realize that unlike most of these prospects youre voting ahead of him, he actually has the tools to make the NHL instead of just hoping these other guys magically pull it all together. Not only that, he excels in all areas, while maintaining a good points per game ratio

Sometimes i think if HFBoards would rather have 1 guy with a 5 percent chance of being a great player over 10 guys who are for sure great 3rd liners. lol

I also think people here would rather have a question mark box over Friesen. lol

Mallets numbers aren't even that great, he had one good year basically and after 3 years of already being in that league, friesen puts up better numbers throughout his career and excels on the PK, defensive game, checking, fighting, etc

basically the only thing mallet has on him is that hes younger and taller. lol

yeah he outscored friesen in ONE year but its hard to judge goals/pts when theyre two different teams and two different leagues but i have read this:

Quote:
Mallet produced 81 points in 68 games last season with Rimouski Oceanic of the QMJHL, easily the highest scoring of the three CHL leagues.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/V...#ixzz22JyFu9q8

Last edited by Pseudonymous: 08-01-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old
08-01-2012, 02:49 PM
keslerburrows

Still love Friesen.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:07 PM
AvantiCanada*

Voted Sauve.

Next will vote Mallet then Polasek then Friesen

AvantiCanada* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:32 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Friesen.

I like Mallet as a prospect but it's just that I see too many youngster light up the Q then go on to not even stick in the AHL.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:36 PM
denkiteki

Voted Sauve hoping he might have a breakout year/injury free year. He has an NHL body and a decent tool set if he can put it all together, could develop into a 2 way dman. Hopefully Wolves player this year get a bit better at taking his rocket passes.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Sweatt and Sauve... very under-rated...

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 03:51 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I am going with Mallet as well here. Although we do know little, I liked what I saw. When making the highlight package, you also see all of the GA and he didn't show up frequently at all or stand out in a bad way. He's a strong guy, appears to be an aggressive forechecker, unafraid to use his body to punish and to his advantage in front of the net to get open and get positioning for tips. I think that's what will separate him from our other prospects, the power game. Also a good skater with an excellent shot. I think/hope he'll have a good first pro season.

I agree Friesen is getting a bit over praised here. But I like him as a prospect and can't wait to see what he can do in the AHL.

I also would have Polasek ahead of Sauve. Again, as I said in the previous poll threads, I might be higher on him than most, but I like the way he plays the game, more physical than Sauve, wins more board battles, and is less scrambly in the corners but both are prone to make some miscues with the puck. Polasek also likes to jump up more on the rush and looks good doing so. A year younger in hockey development, I feel he's got a lot more to give this coming season and in the future.
I like Polasek too.

Just think Sauve is still ahead of him, until he takes a bigger jump. Here's hoping they both take big steps this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Umm we're talking about prospect rank #13. Hes hardly being overrated, by the looks of it, he's going to go at 15, jesus. Its funny considering most dont even make the NHL. I think all im trying to do is get people to realize that unlike most of these prospects youre voting ahead of him, he actually has the tools to make the NHL instead of just hoping these other guys magically pull it all together. Not only that, he excels in all areas, while maintaining a good points per game ratio

Sometimes i think if HFBoards would rather have 1 guy with a 5 percent chance of being a great player over 10 guys who are for sure great 3rd liners. lol

I also think people here would rather have a question mark box over Friesen. lol

Mallets numbers aren't even that great, he had one good year basically and after 3 years of already being in that league, friesen puts up better numbers throughout his career and excels on the PK, defensive game, checking, fighting, etc

yeah he outscored friesen in ONE year but its hard to judge goals/pts when theyre two different teams and two different leagues but i have read this:
Funny thing is, Friesen is not a for sure 'great 3rd liner'...guys his size have to overcome significant odds to become NHLers, let alone great 3rd liners.

It's funny your description of Friesen sounds a lot like that of Mallet, yet he's already bigger, stronger, better shot, better fighter....he'll have an easier transition to pro hockey than Friesen IMO.

Friesen was on a stacked team, after playing 5 years in the league.

Funny the Canucks think mallet is ready for the AHL, when Friesen while at the same point in their development last year (could have played in the AHL) - was sent back to the OHL.

Here's a Mallet article from before the draft....draws favourable comparison to Steve Downie.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next...xandre-mallet/

Old
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I just don't like Sweatt's game at all. I like Friesen and Mallet over him since they have similar potential, but have not revealed their limitations at the AHL level yet like Sweatt has.

In Sauve's case, he has continued to not show the offensive potential that made him a high pick in the Q. I remember last year I argued that Polasek had equal or better potential, however it was largely a toss-up between the two this season (which may favour Polasek since he was a rookie). I think this will be a very telling year for whether or not Sauve will ever make the NHL. Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Polasek move past him on the Canucks depth chart.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:11 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I do agree that Sauve is a bit underrated here, i can't agree at all on Sweatt.

I just don't see where Sweatt fits as an NHL player. He isn't skilled enough to play in the top-6 at all, and doesn't bring attributes like the size to make room for more skilled players in that role either. But he also doesn't really bring much to the table as a potential bottom-6 player either. No real size or physicality, not the greatest well-rounded game, and even in a 3rd line role in the NHL, i think his offensive skillset could prove lacking. He just doesn't have a role. Pretty much the epitome of a go-nowhere 'tweener'. Plays the game like a skilled top-6 forward, but doesn't really have the skill to back it up. He might be able to crack a roster somewhere eventually as a journeyman/depth 'filler' type player, but as a prospect...i just don't see much to be excited about for the NHL level.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:14 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Mallet and then Tommerenes I think

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I like Polasek too.

Just think Sauve is still ahead of him, until he takes a bigger jump. Here's hoping they both take big steps this year.

Funny thing is, Friesen is not a for sure 'great 3rd liner'...guys his size have to overcome significant odds to become NHLers, let alone great 3rd liners.

It's funny your description of Friesen sounds a lot like that of Mallet, yet he's already bigger, stronger, better shot, better fighter....he'll have an easier transition to pro hockey than Friesen IMO.

Friesen was on a stacked team, after playing 5 years in the league.

Funny the Canucks think mallet is ready for the AHL, when Friesen while at the same point in their development last year (could have played in the AHL) - was sent back to the OHL.

Here's a Mallet article from before the draft....draws favourable comparison to Steve Downie.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next...xandre-mallet/
FFS he's 5'-10", it's not like we're talking Nathan Gerbe here.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
FFS he's 5'-10", it's not like we're talking Nathan Gerbe here.
Checking/energy line players who are 5'10" (I think that's inflated, he looks quite a bit smaller than guys listed at similar heights).

People are acting like he put up monster numbers. He put up ok numbers for a 21 year old in the OHL.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Quote:
Checking/energy line players who are 5'10" (I think that's inflated, he looks quite a bit smaller than guys listed at similar heights).

People are acting like he put up monster numbers. He put up ok numbers for a 21 year old in the OHL.
Andrew Shaw did pretty well for himself, and he's only an inch over Friesen and almost 30lbs lighter.

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Kass Effect

I went with Mallet. Seems to be able to do everything. I like how he is an effective net presence on the PP. Tough call, as I have him about equal with Labate and Freisen.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post

I don't understand the absolute love you have for Friesen. Mallet is excellent defensively (not that far behind Friesen), much better fighter, much better offensively, and most importantly has the NHL size and skating. You can ignore it all you want, but being 5'10" and trying to make it as a checker is going to make it hard for Friesen. Not to mention their respective teams, Mallet played on a team that was predicted to absolutely suck, instead he took it quite far in the Q playoffs and was their best player — Friesen was just a cog on a powerhouse team (for many years).

I'll also mention that QMJHL was the lowest scoring of the three leagues this year, WHL was the highest and OHL the second.

The best part of all this is that nobody is even ragging on Friesen, everyone likes him — they just like Mallet more. Why can't you even admit that Mallet might be a good prospect? Do you have a personal stake in this?

Last edited by Tiranis: 08-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Scott Nichol, that is the long list of good Bottom 6 players of Friesen's size or smaller.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

This is the toughest one so far for me. There are 4-5 guys I'd feel comfortable choosing here.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Went with Mallet. Just liked his overall combination of skills, plus the size and physicality to play a punishing game on the forecheck. Skates well, has a very good shot and can score. Also good defensively. Just a very intriguing package there. Him being able to slot in at all 3 forward positions just makes it even better. In all honesty the fighting bit is just a nice bonus, really.

I always felt, by the way, that Sobotka might be a good comparable for Friesen if he develops. Both are gritty, undersized centermen whose skating aren't the best but they get around. But he's got to show that he can produce offensively too.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote