HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alex Edler

Old
08-01-2012, 11:49 AM
arshonagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
If this is the case, it surprises me that a deal isn't done for cost certainty purposes. Would make negotiating with a player like Doan a lot easier knowing the exact numbers on a more important player like Edler.
They probably have been negotiating and Gillis probably has a range that he foresees Edlers contract falling into. It's not like he is putting all his eggs in one basket to sign Doan while ignoring the rest of the rosters current and future needs.

arshonagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

I would love to have Hartnell, but not without something else coming back to replace him.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
You're kidding right? These aren't even close in value. Mac>Kulemin, 1st>>>>>Lombardi.

Now that Schultz is gone, Gardiner doesn't hold much value in my eyes (when compared to say Edler). The guy would be #5-6 in Vancouver next year (with Edler on the depth chart). Lupul is nice but not nice enough to land Edler, Lupul + 1st doesn't land Edler IMO.

The "+" would literally have to be rediculous (i.e. +Kessel drop Lupul) to get the deal done and I know that's not happening for a TML perspective.
Lupul, Gardiner, and one of the additional packages there...we can't squeeze blood from a stone. There aren't a lot of high value assets on Toronto for now. Again my counter would be a base, but we get a replacement, two top six forwards and either another pick or a 3C.

As for the differences in packages, Mac+1st beats out Kulemin+Lombardi, but I think Kulemin, being younger, more versatile, and not relying on top talent to put up his career best makes him much more valuable then MacArthur.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
You make it sound like we won't be able to re-sign him. There has been no indication that Edler wants out of Vancouver, and we will make room for his new contract. I doubt he ever makes it to free agency.

The Canaucks want to keep him but if they cant sign him by the start of training camp there will be tons of questions and rumor mills going around that will distract him and the team.

They will negotiate in camp..if they seem to be far apart they will start to think about trading him.

Would they trade him for someone better as a D-man...no...why would a team trade for him and giving up their better d-men?

They would trade him if they can get someone younger with good potential and then someone else who would help them elsewhere they need the help.

They could trade him the the wings for Filppula with other pieces in this...or they trade him to Chicagoalong with Luongo.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:29 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
The Canaucks want to keep him but if they cant sign him by the start of training camp there will be tons of questions and rumor mills going around that will distract him and the team.

They will negotiate in camp..if they seem to be far apart they will start to think about trading him.

Would they trade him for someone better as a D-man...no...why would a team trade for him and giving up their better d-men?

They would trade him if they can get someone younger with good potential and then someone else who would help them elsewhere they need the help.

They could trade him the the wings for Filppula with other pieces in this...or they trade him to Chicagoalong with Luongo.
Thanks for clearing that up Gillis. What's your take on Luongo?

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:58 PM
NonBruinHatingCanuck

Whats your guys take on Alex Edler now? I know hes a UFA at the end of hte Year but if we could sign and trade him to say 4 years @ 6 million per year what do you think we can get in return for him?

I Love Eddy don't want him gone i suspect we'll sign him and keep him but just curious what you guys would offer?

NonBruinHatingCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:36 PM
jboknows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Realistically a return I would want for Edler: A top defensive prospect/rookie ready to make an impact in the NHL, plus a good top 6 winger.

For example, Franzen + Smith, or Lupul(or JVR+) and Gardiner.

Depending on which players come back, we may have to add some in return, but that is what I would like to see come back.
HAHAHAHA

you have got to be kidding me. for a ufa? even signed, JVR+ Gardiner is never happening

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:38 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboknows View Post
HAHAHAHA

you have got to be kidding me. for a ufa? even signed, JVR+ Gardiner is never happening
signed Edler is worth at least JVR + Gardiner

he won't be traded

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:42 PM
jboknows

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
signed Edler is worth at least JVR + Gardiner

he won't be traded
I disagree. I absolutely hate the canucks (live in vancouver and i'm forced to watch a whack of games), but i really do like edler. he's one of the few guys on that team that i'd actually want.

i'm not saying he's not better than gardiner (because he most certainly is right now), but with how good gardiner looked last year, you have to be skeptical to trade him in any package. adding to that jvr who we hope makes a big contribution this year... there's no way i can fathom a signed edler being traded for JVR and gardiner.

i should add though that i agree, edler isn't moved unless somehow the canucks find themselves on the outside look in this year. just doesn't make a lot of sense for them to move him...

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboknows View Post
I disagree. I absolutely hate the canucks (live in vancouver and i'm forced to watch a whack of games), but i really do like edler. he's one of the few guys on that team that i'd actually want.

i'm not saying he's not better than gardiner (because he most certainly is right now), but with how good gardiner looked last year, you have to be skeptical to trade him in any package. adding to that jvr who we hope makes a big contribution this year... there's no way i can fathom a signed edler being traded for JVR and gardiner.

i should add though that i agree, edler isn't moved unless somehow the canucks find themselves on the outside look in this year. just doesn't make a lot of sense for them to move him...
Not trading a legitimate #1 defenseman for two largely unproven players

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
StrictlyCommercial

The best example of an equivalent I can see is the Campbell deal in 2007/08.

The San Jose Sharks acquire defenceman Brian Campbell and a seventh-round pick in 2008 (Drew Daniels) from the Buffalo Sabres for forward Steve Bernier and a 2008 first-round draft pick (Tyler Ennis).

So something like a former first rounder who at the time had potential + a 1st. However, Campbell was 4 years older and a less complete player, so i'd expect Edler to get more (equivalent of another first).

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:23 PM
sabresandcanucks

Not sure Edler makes sense in Toronto....They want an older injury prone D man? Edler makes more sense going to a team like Philly who wants to load up for a cup run.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

You want Setoguchi, Lucia, conditional 1st+?

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:19 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
You want Setoguchi, Lucia, conditional 1st+?
I'd probably trade Edler for Seto + 1st (no condition).

DJOpus is online now   Reply With Quote