HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JVR traded to Toronto for Luke Schenn

Old
07-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Observations:

1. I was expecting them to rock the "B. SCHENN" and "L. SCHENN" on the back of their sweaters. Fun surprise.

2. This is dumb, but I wonder why Brayden's nameplate background is longer than Luke's despite having the same letters. Weird.

K, I'm done now. Thanks for posting!
Different people customized the jerseys. Brayden's is correct. Luke's is not.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
I was a leaf fan, quit and became a Flyers fan as of 45 minutes ago. Honest opinion about him I'll write.

Had a good rookie year. Solid, for a rookie, made mistakes here and there but expected.

-Sophmore year: slow, decising making was really slow, healthy scratch a couple times. Sophmore slump happend.

3rd year: would give him A- overall. Physical, made good decisions with the puck and also poised. His skating while never strongest point of his game, was solid. He didn't get his 3 million something hit for being terrible like he was in his 4th year. Looked like a legit #2-3 shutdown defencemen.

4th year: He said he got bigger but somehow that made him really slow. When forwards made quick turns coming at full speed, he always got beat. He was also mostly out of position and missed his "man" plenty of times. His decision making was also slow and lost his confidence with Wilson. But coming into camp in the shape he was, was his fault. Wilson system was never good for the Leaf team anyway, but considering Schenn had both success and failure with Wilson, this year was on Schenn.

Bottom line: needs to cut down on his weight. Really needs to work on skating. His decision making might be because of confidence issues, or he may never develop that part of the game and be a average 2nd pairing defencemen. I don't know how much upside JVR has, but Schenn's worse is a liability opposed to an injured JVR.
You don't think them making him put on 20+ pounds on between year 3 and 4 was their mistake?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:38 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm curious if JJ is going to do what Vancouver does with the Sedin twins and call them by their first name.

"Luke passed to Brayden."

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 12:43 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Different people customized the jerseys. Brayden's is correct. Luke's is not.
Oh, okay. Sounds good. Just was curious.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I'm curious if JJ is going to do what Vancouver does with the Sedin twins and call them by their first name.

"Luke passed to Brayden."
I would hope so

Old
07-29-2012, 01:39 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
At the same time, I feel like JVR would be the perfect guy to use to sweeten the pot for Nashville. It's almost too bad that Holmgren couldn't have waited to make this trade until after his dealings around Weber went down. We know Nashville will want/does want at least one, probably two forwards. I think a deal structured around JVR -- who is good friends with Colin Wilson -- would have been better used here. If the offer sheet/trade around Weber fails, then you trade for Schenn.
Imagine if Homer had faild to get any help on D.

I guess a Schenn in your hand is better than two Webers in the bush...or make it a Weber and a Suter if you like to

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
You don't think them making him put on 20+ pounds on between year 3 and 4 was their mistake?
was it muscle or fat of 20 pounds, no one knows. What Schenn did in the summer, I don't know. He was drafted to be a shutdown physical defencemen, he was going to add weight to his body, no matter what. Did he neglect his skating to add that weight, he probably did.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
was it muscle or fat of 20 pounds, no one knows. What Schenn did in the summer I don't know.
Doesn't really matter.. That's still a ton of weight for one summer.. And if his speed wasn't the greatest before, it can only get worse

Old
07-29-2012, 04:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

We should have Schenn race all summer against Wellwood like Giroux used to do with horses.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Doesn't really matter.. That's still a ton of weight for one summer.. And if his speed wasn't the greatest before, it can only get worse
I recall Kuli going from 205 to 225 last summer (the one he scored 30 goals in) and his speed didn't get worse off (he's an average skater, but quick acceleration) . Schenn probably neglected the skating aspect of his training to add that weight.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2012, 04:30 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Imagine if Homer had faild to get any help on D.

I guess a Schenn in your hand is better than two Webers in the bush...or make it a Weber and a Suter if you like to
Yea true. But maybe JVR puts that deal over the top. Maybe not. If it didn't, he could then trade JVR for Schenn anyway and we're right where we are now. Just a thought.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
My friend is close buddies with a former coach of the Toronto organization, who broke the Schenn/JVR swap to me back around the deadline. He stated that due to JVR's concussion, the deal was put aside at the time. Interestingly enough, he also stated the Flyers organization is going to pissed off to find out that Schenn is blind in his left eye.
Bringing this over from the second Weber thread, where someone posted this and caused a tizzy.

I found this article from 2010 that mentions Schenn indeed does have a vision problem in one eye and the Leafs staff even made him wear a contact lens in that eye during games:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ready-to-shine

Not sure what it means, but it says he refuses to discuss the vision issue, which is a bit disconcerting.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:30 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagne Come Back View Post
Bringing this over from the second Weber thread, where someone posted this and caused a tizzy.

I found this article from 2010 that mentions Schenn indeed does have a vision problem in one eye and the Leafs staff even made him wear a contact lens in that eye during games:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...ready-to-shine

Not sure what it means, but it says he refuses to discuss the vision issue, which is a bit disconcerting.
Veyerus

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
thelos
Bunk

has he always been blind in that eye ? or is it more recent?

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Krishna

He could easily get laser eye surgery or just wear a contact

Old
07-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

I had never heard of his vision problem before.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Appleyard

He may have vision problems... but cannot be blind in one eye, in the medical or legal sense, and still play in the NHL. There is a strict requirement of 20/400 for each individual eye, which while bad vision, with a contact would be rendered normal. There is also an eye test in the draft, and a standard sports medical, so if the NHL, teams, staff etc know about it, it is not a problem.

You cannot have no vision in one eye and play in the NHL, case in point being Malhotra and Berard before surgery.

Also David-Alexandre Beauregard, though many NHL teams wanted him, they could not sign him as he had no vision in one eye, incidently, even with this setback, he was still a PPG or more player in every league he ever played in. Greg Neeld was another such case.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:17 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
He may have vision problems... but cannot be blind in one eye, in the medical or legal sense, and still play in the NHL. There is a strict requirement of 20/400 for each individual eye, which while bad vision, with a contact would be rendered normal. There is also an eye test in the draft, and a standard sports medical, so if the NHL, teams, staff etc know about it, it is not a problem.

You cannot have no vision in one eye and play in the NHL, case in point being Malhotra and Berard before surgery.

Also David-Alexandre Beauregard, though many NHL teams wanted him, they could not sign him as he had no vision in one eye, incidently, even with this setback, he was still a PPG or more player in every league he ever played in. Greg Neeld was another such case.
I guess it comes down to what definition of 'blindness' one is using because, in North America, 20/200 is 'legally blind'. To your point above, though, 20/200 vision can easily be corrected by a contact lens.

07-31-2012, 06:33 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:

I've never heard of David-Alexandre Beauregard, after looking him up he sounds like a total badass that would of been an incredible NHL player. Sad.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:30 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
We should have Schenn race all summer against Wellwood like Giroux used to do with horses.
Which Wellwood?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Which Wellwood?
The one as big as a horse of course!

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
I've never heard of David-Alexandre Beauregard, after looking him up he sounds like a total badass that would of been an incredible NHL player. Sad.
Yeh, i only know of him as he played for my local team in England a few years ago... he was unbelievable, the best player I have seen in the english leagues since Theo Fleury, Frank Pietrangelo (who also played for my local team!) and Tony Hand (duno why the guy never made a proper play at the NHL... best British player ever.)

I could not believe that Beauregard was blind in one eye when I watched him, he breezed through people and hardly ever got hit, even though he obviously could not see half the ice.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 11:36 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

did the flyers introduce him yet? i just didn't know if i missed that or not

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:17 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
did the flyers introduce him yet? i just didn't know if i missed that or not
I could be wrong but I don't think so. I guess they were waiting for Weber.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:18 AM
F A N

Quote:
Also David-Alexandre Beauregard, though many NHL teams wanted him, they could not sign him as he had no vision in one eye, incidently, even with this setback, he was still a PPG or more player in every league he ever played in.
Just looked him up and he sounds like a wonderful hockey story, but am I missing something? He spent his career playing in the ECHL and other low level leagues. It's not like he was an AHL star and NHL teams couldn't sign him because of his eye.

F A N is offline   Reply With Quote