HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Canucks interested in Arnott

Old
08-02-2012, 01:22 AM
KISSland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Just so you know, the Canucks don't have the cap space to do that without shedding some $3M of salary or so.
Luongo will likely be gone before Keslers return. We have the space to make the move now.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:25 AM
pahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Sorry no. We're actually interested in good centres.
what makes you think arnott is any better than the leafs' scrap at this point, contracts aside

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Hope Gillis supplies him with a pair of rocket skates.
If they strap Raymond and Hansen to him it shouldnt be a problem. Atleast someone on the line would have hockey sense.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:43 AM
LBCANUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Both should be signed regardless.

Arnott 1yr 1.5MM
Doan 3yrs 5-5.5MM

Sedins Burrows
Booth Kesler Doan
Higgins Arnott Hansen
Weise Lapierre Kassian

Sounds good to me.
You forgot we have have raymond signed and also I dont think we get Doan that cheap. He wants 7.5 x 4.....might be able to get him at 6-6.5 but i think thats it.

LBCANUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:48 AM
shekers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCANUCK View Post
I dont think we get Doan that cheap. He wants 7.5 x 4.....might be able to get him at 6-6.5 but i think thats it.
Just because he's offered 7.5 for 4 years, doesn't mean that's what he wants. There are so many factors in his decision making...For instance, I'm sure he would be willing to take much less to stay in Phoneix if he knows for certain that team stays.

And you really think Gillis will give more than 6.1 to Doan? More than the twins?

shekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Really hope Arnott doesn't sign there, because he's the only UFA left besides Doan and A. Kostitsyn that I really have interest in for Buffalo.

I think he'd be good for the Canucks though for the reasons already mentioned. He certainly doesn't have nothing left. He's slow but has a lot left to offer a team and I think if you can get him at ~$1.5M-$2M for a year it'd be worth it.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:19 AM
GatoradeG*

They Arnott interested.

GatoradeG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:49 AM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:
You forgot we have have raymond signed and also I dont think we get Doan that cheap. He wants 7.5 x 4.....might be able to get him at 6-6.5 but i think thats it.
If Doan wants more than 5.5 to play in Vancouver, then I hope we don't do it. He is exactly what Vancouver needs, but not at the cost of limiting us next offseason in talks with Burrows and Edler, who will need something in the area of 3.5-4 million more between them.

As for Arnott, I think at 2m he's a great fit for this team. With Hansen and Higgins on his line (if the gods are good and we don't have to start Higgins on the 2nd line... or Raymond) he should be able to produce 40* points. All the while he's a responsible defender, a crafty veteran, a winner and locker-room champ.

*Maybe 35.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:50 AM
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
what makes you think arnott is any better than the leafs' scrap at this point, contracts aside
Did you even read the rest of my post?

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:05 AM
mstad101

Meh. Idk if he'd be a great option, but at the very least Arnott would offer some size to the middle bottom 6 other than Lapierre.
If he can still produce on the PP Id like to sign him cheap, otherwise I'm comfortable with Schroeder be given every shot possible to stick with the team.

1.5 would be my limit. Anything over that I would not bother.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:09 AM
BoHorvatFan

I have never pictured Arnott coming back to Canada after the issues he had in Edmonton. Seems like an American city kind of guy to me I doubt he takes a big paycut to come here to the beautiful north west. I doubt he even cares about scenery or nature. Why not just sign in a place like Jersey, Dallas, SJ, Chicago or something. Not saying those teams are interested but he could be in them.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:48 AM
KISSland

Quote:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Jason Arnott ($2.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,335,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $865,000

I think if Arnott + Doan come here then Raymond's likely gone IMO, but anyway we can make it fit by trading Luongo..

And the 7.5MM rumor is fake.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:11 AM
n00bxQb

No thanks on Arnott. I'm not sure why everyone has lost faith in Malhotra. The guy struggled early in the season, but he was solid at the end. With the ability to actually participate in training camp this season, I expect him to be a very serviceable bottom 6 player.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:16 AM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
No thanks on Arnott. I'm not sure why everyone has lost faith in Malhotra. The guy struggled early in the season, but he was solid at the end. With the ability to actually participate in training camp this season, I expect him to be a very serviceable bottom 6 player.
The only concern i have with Malhotra is will the grenade on his stick explode before he can get rid of it.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 05:41 AM
GerbeSonOfGloin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
If they strap Raymond and Hansen to him it shouldnt be a problem. Atleast someone on the line would have hockey sense.
Rickshaws are underutilized in hockey.

GerbeSonOfGloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
Looks like you didnt account for any salary coming back from the Luongo trade.

I think some salary will come back in that trade at least.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
I thought Malholtra was the Nucks third line C?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
He is nothing more than a 4th line player now and barely even an NHL level player since his eye injury.
I think you're going a touch too far here. Keep in mind Malhotra didn't have an offseason to train after the 10-11 season, he spent his summer having multiple surgeries and resting. It was very clear he wasn't able to come to camp in shape, and he never managed to catch up. I know the safe bet is to write Manny off, but with a full offseason to train there's still a good chance he could come back close to where he was at before his injury. We've seen it time and time again, a player misses the offseason and plays like crap the entire season. While I'm not counting on it, I'm optimistic that we may see a different Manny this season than we did last season.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:49 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Shane Doan is the guy the #Canucks really want, but they are also talking with Jason Arnott. See him as fit for 3rd line centre position.

Arnott's agent, his brother Wade: "There seems to be some mutual interest." #Canucks

To be clear, Arnott only gets signed if Doan doesn't. #Canucks looking to get younger and can't do that with 2 guys north of 35.

The #Canucks dine with Doan, talk with Arnott. http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/V...289/story.html

@BradZiemer
Just had lunch with Jason Arnott , he wants to go back to the Oilers if they will have him

Just joking above but i wish the Oilers would look into bring him back . We need a bigger C man

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:07 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
If Doan wants more than 5.5 to play in Vancouver, then I hope we don't do it. He is exactly what Vancouver needs, but not at the cost of limiting us next offseason in talks with Burrows and Edler, who will need something in the area of 3.5-4 million more between them.

As for Arnott, I think at 2m he's a great fit for this team. With Hansen and Higgins on his line (if the gods are good and we don't have to start Higgins on the 2nd line... or Raymond) he should be able to produce 40* points. All the while he's a responsible defender, a crafty veteran, a winner and locker-room champ.

*Maybe 35.
He's none of those things.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
He's none of those things.
Do all Nashville fans have a bad taste in their mouth regarding Arnott? Or just you?

A crafty veteran? He wouldn't be in the league at this point if he hadn't learned some tricks. A winner? Well he does have a Stanley Cup winning goal so... Not a locker-room champ? Spent a lot of time in the locker-room with Arnott have you?

For what the Canucks would need out of him, he'd be more than adequate.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Grimlore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post

*Maybe 35.
Only way Arnott gets 35+ points next year is if he gets substantial PP time. One little knock and he will be out for 20+ games.

Langenbrunner put up fewer points that Arnott in St.Louis last season, yet he is the one we are bringing back - that should say something about Arnott's leadership and heart.

Grimlore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoradeG View Post
They Arnott interested.
Well played!

10.5/10

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:46 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

Arnott would provide good veteran leadership to Vancouver, just as long as they don't sign him to be a top 6 player.

08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
I don't think he qualifies as scoring depth, which we need. I'd rather try out Schroeder or get someone in return for Luongo who will work better.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Rydgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
I agree that leadership is often over-rated, but it should not be entirely discounted. I don't see Arnott getting anywhere near as much or as long a contract as Doan, so less risk. As well, he can fill in as a 2/3 center and provide veteran back-up in case Schroeder/Gaunce can't show their ready. I also feel that playing on a line with Higgins and Hansen we would see Arnott's lack of speed minimized. He won't have to lead the rush, but can follow in as the trailer and set up in front of and behind the net to help with the cycle. His ability to cycle down low would also help our second power play unit and allow it to have more control.
The guy was a 4th line center on St Louis, I have no idea why you would think he'd make it as our 2nd/3rd. He was a healthy scratch during the playoffs. He is NOT an improvement on either Lapierre or Malhotra. He is much worse defensively, slower, and marginally better offensively. Despite his big frame, Arnott is not a physical player and far less so than Lapierre. I question his leadership ability considering he got into fights with Hitchcock about having to practice during the playoffs.

The one improvement he would give us is a solid #2 PP centre, something we haven't had for a couple years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
have you watched Doan at all lately?
he is not slow
he will score more points than anyone but the Sedins, maybe Kesler
he'd be like adding a vet Linden, which would be good
"Both" was referring to Sturm and Arnott, not Doan.

Rydgar is offline   Reply With Quote