HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins #9 prospect

View Poll Results: Who is our #9 prospect?
Kenneth Agostino (20, Yale/ECAC) 2 1.52%
Teddy Blueger (17, Shattuck St. Mary's/USHS) 18 13.64%
Robert Bortuzzo (23, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 44 33.33%
Nick D'Agostino (22, Cornell/ECAC) 3 2.27%
Ben Hanowski (21, St. Cloud State/WCHA) 2 1.52%
Tom Kühnhackl (20, Niagara IceDogs/OHL) 29 21.97%
Matia Marcantuoni (18, Kitchener Rangers/OHL) 15 11.36%
Brian Strait (24, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 18 13.64%
Dominik Uher (19, Spokane Chiefs/WHL) 1 0.76%
Keven Veilleux (23, Wilkes-Barre/AHL) 0 0%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Penguins #9 prospect

How the mighty has fallen: Tangradi slips from 1st, 1st and 2nd in the previous 3 years to 8th this time. Added Marc Antuony.

2012 poll results
#1 Joe Morrow (45.37% in #1 poll, 52.00% in runoff)
#2 Simon Després (43.98% in #1 poll, 48.00% in runoff)
#3 Brian Dumoulin (38.15%)
#4 Beau Bennett (35.50%)
#5 Derrick Pouliot (43.21%)
#6 Scott Harrington (58.33%)
#7 Olli Mättää (87.40%)
#8 Eric Tangradi (61.65%)

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:55 AM
rmartin65

Voted Bortuzzo.

Add Sundqvist. He was taken in the 3rd, the FO must see something they like in the kid.

rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Vote Macaroni or you're a godless comm'nist. At this point the D we have are all projected bottom pairing guys. Have to go with the big risk, big upside forwards.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Shady Machine

It's Bortuzzo's time to shine.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:02 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

I can sense the group-think setting in already. For shame...

Old
08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
At this point the D we have are all projected bottom pairing guys.
Except that's not true -- both Bortuzzo and D'Agostino still project as 2nd-pairing D-men if they continue to develop as planned and reach their ceilings.

Anyways, went with Big Bort. Add Scott Wilson.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

It's pretty much a tie between D'Agostino and Bortuzzo.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Except that's not true -- both Bortuzzo and D'Agostino still project as 2nd-pairing D-men if they continue to develop as planned and reach their ceilings.

Anyways, went with Big Bort. Add Scott Wilson.
Even given who is in front of him on the likely Depth Chart of the Future ™, and even given a trade or retirement of someone like Martin or Orpik, you think Bortuzzo would make the Top 4?

Letang
Despres
Morrow
Dumoulin
Harrington?

And that's if we lose both Orpik and Martin. Odds one sticks around for another couple years is pretty high. On this team I'd say Strait and Bortuzzo are not likely to move beyond the bottom pairing, if the other youngsters develop even 80% of their potential. At least based on the Scuderi-like comments I've ready about Strait and Bortuzzo from fans who've watched them a lot in WBS ("steady", "nothing flashy but reliable", etc)..

Old
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Even given who is in front of him on the likely Depth Chart of the Future ™, and even given a trade or retirement of someone like Martin or Orpik, you think Bortuzzo would make the Top 4?

Letang
Despres
Morrow
Dumoulin
Harrington?

And that's if we lose both Orpik and Martin. Odds one sticks around for another couple years is pretty high.
I just mean in general. I'm ranking these guys on their NHL potential, not what kind of impact they project to have on the Pens specifically.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Letang
Despres
Morrow
Dumoulin
Harrington?

And that's if we lose both Orpik and Martin. Odds one sticks around for another couple years is pretty high. On this team I'd say Strait and Bortuzzo are not likely to move beyond the bottom pairing, if the other youngsters develop even 80% of their potential. At least based on the Scuderi-like comments I've ready about Strait and Bortuzzo from fans who've watched them ("steady", "nothing flashy but reliable", etc)..
It's not that he will make the top 4, it's that his upside is a top 4 dman which makes him a very valuable prospect. So we are voting on how strong of a prospect he is. He's NHL ready in a bottom pairing role with potential to be top 4? Yeah I'll rank that ahead of the speedster who was a boom or bust pick.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
It's pretty much a tie between D'Agostino and Bortuzzo.
Yeah, even though I think D'Agger's ceiling is slightly higher, I went with Bort since he's been gettin' it done in WBS.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

Letang
Despres
Morrow
Dumoulin
Harrington?

And that's if we lose both Orpik and Martin. Odds one sticks around for another couple years is pretty high. On this team I'd say Strait and Bortuzzo are not likely to move beyond the bottom pairing, if the other youngsters develop even 80% of their potential. At least based on the Scuderi-like comments I've ready about Strait and Bortuzzo from fans who've watched them a lot in WBS ("steady", "nothing flashy but reliable", etc)..
being top 4 on our depth chart and being top 4 quality aren't the same thing. He can be our number 5 and still be a top 4 d-man. Staal has been a top 6 player for years even though he's played on our 3rd line.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
It's not that he will make the top 4, it's that his upside is a top 4 dman which makes him a very valuable prospect. So we are voting on how strong of a prospect he is. He's NHL ready in a bottom pairing role with potential to be top 4? Yeah I'll rank that ahead of the speedster who was a boom or bust pick.
Macaroni is no mere Kolstov-like speedster. A serious injury limited his scoresheet. Soon the golden light of Macaroni will shine bright on western PA. Or Ontario as the case may be.

The way I look at prospects is first upside (if the skillz aren't there you can't vote them ahead of someone with the skillz), and then how likely he is to contribute to the team at that level in a couple years. Will he be good enough to take that spot? But I can see the opposite argument also, just looking at them as pure assets (something that could be traded for example).

This is the reason why we should define the voting criteria ahead of time. Then we can proclaim our poll results to be the ultimate authority on prospects.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Macaroni is no mere Kolstov-like speedster. A serious injury limited his scoresheet. Soon the golden light of Macaroni will shine bright on western PA. Or Ontario as the case may be.
You are right. After I read my post I realized I wasn't giving him enough credit for his skill I just didn't edit it in time. I guess I just need to see another year before we can give this guy a higher ranking.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
The way I look at prospects is first upside (if the skillz aren't there you can't vote them ahead of someone with the skillz), and then how likely he is to contribute to the team at that level in a couple years. Will he be good enough to take that spot? But I can see the opposite argument also, just looking at them as pure assets (something that could be traded for example).

This is the reason why we should define the voting criteria ahead of time. Then we can proclaim our poll results to be the ultimate authority on prospects.
My prospect rankings are similar, but I don't consider what role they will serve on the team but rather their upside to any team. The upside of Bortuzzo, from all the accounts I've read and from watching him, are 2nd pairing 2 way guy with size and willingness to play the body and drop the gloves. The fact that he will likely never be a 2nd pairing guy here doesn't lessen that ranking for me.

Macaroni may have 1st line winger upside, but there is significant risk to hitting this upside. Because he isn't close to NHL ready, his higher risk of not making the NHL outweighs his extra upside over Bort (since 1st line wingers aren't THAT much more coveted than 2nd pairing dmen IMO).

Old
08-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

I shall leave it you, the citizens of HFB then, to calculate these mystical rankings. This FA summer has left my brain fried. Need to tune out for a while. Look forward to my next visit, when I discover Shero has signed Brian "Almost 40 and Ready to Party" Rolston to a painful cap hit.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
My prospect rankings are similar, but I don't consider what role they will serve on the team but rather their upside to any team. The upside of Bortuzzo, from all the accounts I've read and from watching him, are 2nd pairing 2 way guy with size and willingness to play the body and drop the gloves. The fact that he will likely never be a 2nd pairing guy here doesn't lessen that ranking for me.

Macaroni may have 1st line winger upside, but there is significant risk to hitting this upside. Because he isn't close to NHL ready, his higher risk of not making the NHL outweighs his extra upside over Bort (since 1st line wingers aren't THAT much more coveted than 2nd pairing dmen IMO).
That's a big part for me. Sure, Macaroni could be a top line winger some day. But he could also never skate in the NHL. There is enough risk of that with him that I don't think his higher upside outweighs it compared to Bortuzzo.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:47 AM
bigd

I don't see how Strait and Bortuzzo aren't in the top ten. I voted for Strait but I think you could go either way. They are pretty much the same but Bort is 6'4" and that's something Strait can never achieve. I just think Strait is a better skater.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:05 AM
wej20

Strait for me.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:21 AM
KareemTrustfund
Bogus call, ref!

vCash: 50
Tomorrow I will finally be able to vote! Will be voting Bortuzzo because of his top 4 upside and will most likely be playing in the NHL this year.

Add Ruopp.

Last edited by KareemTrustfund: 08-02-2012 at 07:01 PM.
KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:22 AM
khaoskennedy

voted Bort, Strait next

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:27 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Teddy for me

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
JTG

I voted Bortuzzo. I think people sell him short when saying he'll be nothing more than a bottom pair defenseman.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Went with Strait. Thought he was steady as you could expect a rookie to be during his call-ups.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Das Kuhn.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote