HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres re-sign Patrick Kaleta (3 years, $1.25M per)

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2012, 01:34 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
That's Ruutu. I was wondering who Rutuu was.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Clock

Very happy with those terms.

Old
08-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
I'd have Kaleta on my team for that price. Everyone needs one (or two) of those kind of guys and Cookie is getting up there.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

Kaleta REALLY rustles my jimmies. He rustled 'em real good in the 2011 playoffs.

I guess he's doing a good job, though.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Thank you. That was the dirtiest play in hockey last year. Well Chara on Max Pacioretty was pretty close. This year will be fun watching J. Scott beat up the bruins whole team though. Not one player on that team can win against J. Scott. Bring it bruins. This is going to be a fun year.
Dirtiest play all year? Please, stop being a homer, its embarrassing. Also, the MaxPac hit was the year before, so great research.

And I hope to god John Scott plays, instead of someone that can actually play hockey. You really think anyone will ever fight that goon? He cant even SKATE. MAYBE Thornton will fight him, and who cares if he does, itll be a matching five and we can get on with the game.

If John Scott is in the lineup against one of the better teams in the East then Lindy Ruff isnt doing his job, which is to ice the best possible team against the Bruins. People forget how close the Habs were to beating us, and they were incredibly small and shifty...not a good recipe for the Bruins.

By playing Scott, he is playing RIGHT into the Bruins hands, and believe me, not many teams (if any) can stand up to their physicality, and its dumb to even try when there is a clear example of what kind of team we're weak against. So yes, to use a phrase i havent used since 4th grade ..."bring it on Sabres."

PS, great signing by the Sabres. Incredible cap hit for a player who plays his role to a T (which is clearly evidenced by my fellow Bruins fans getting all worked up). I guess hes also been developing into a pretty good Defensive forward by what im reading here, so again, great signing. Every team needs a Marchand/Kaleta.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
I'd have Kaleta on my team for that price. Everyone needs one (or two) of those kind of guys and Cookie is getting up there.
Absolutely.

I hate Kaleta with a passion, but great signing by the Sabres.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:28 PM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Sure he does, by low bridging guys and taking them out at the knees. You want to talk cowardly play, Marchand is #1.
I think you could sniff out a Marchand comment if it were buried on Mars....

Old
08-01-2012, 04:34 PM
jamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
PS, great signing by the Sabres. Incredible cap hit for a player who plays his role to a T (which is clearly evidenced by my fellow Bruins fans getting all worked up). I guess hes also been developing into a pretty good Defensive forward by what im reading here, so again, great signing. Every team needs a Marchand/Kaleta.
So true. I don't really know any Sabres fans who are against this signing -- defensive grit with agitation is always a good thing.

Old
08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Dirtiest play all year? Please, stop being a homer, its embarrassing. Also, the MaxPac hit was the year before, so great research.

And I hope to god John Scott plays, instead of someone that can actually play hockey. You really think anyone will ever fight that goon? He cant even SKATE. MAYBE Thornton will fight him, and who cares if he does, itll be a matching five and we can get on with the game.

If John Scott is in the lineup against one of the better teams in the East then Lindy Ruff isnt doing his job, which is to ice the best possible team against the Bruins. People forget how close the Habs were to beating us, and they were incredibly small and shifty...not a good recipe for the Bruins.

By playing Scott, he is playing RIGHT into the Bruins hands, and believe me, not many teams (if any) can stand up to their physicality, and its dumb to even try when there is a clear example of what kind of team we're weak against. So yes, to use a phrase i havent used since 4th grade ..."bring it on Sabres."

lol ... you think Ruff isn't doing his job if he plays Jon Scott instead of Matt Ellis for 4 minutes? .....

S-----T-----R------E----T-----C------H.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Hate this guy to no end but would love him on my team. Good deal for Buffalo.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
lol ... you think Ruff isn't doing his job if he plays Jon Scott instead of Matt Ellis for 4 minutes? .....

Lindy won't play anyone over the incredible Matty Ellis. Watch him be our top line C next year.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Tuckerw68

Quote:
Thank you. That was the dirtiest play in hockey last year. Well Chara on Max Pacioretty was pretty close. This year will be fun watching J. Scott beat up the bruins whole team though. Not one player on that team can win against J. Scott. Bring it bruins. This is going to be a fun year.
He's a hired gun makes buffalo look like cowards. They have to hire a paid fighter on skates to defend them...impressive. As for all of your week excuses as to why kaleta isn't dirty...******** he's very dirty and has a very similar role to Marchand they both are very good at their roles and play a very similar style one guy is just light years more skilled than the other

Old
08-01-2012, 08:29 PM
OneManArmy65*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
That's Ruutu. I was wondering who Rutuu was.
Hilarious.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Grittzkey
Foreplay Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
I will savour the day that Ott and Kaleta cost the Sabres a playoff game with selfish penalties.

You know it's coming.
That combo almost reminds me of Ott/Avery in Dallas. Oh how I wish Buffalo would talk Avery into coming back to hockey.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:58 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Wow. Great price.

Old
08-01-2012, 11:16 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grittzkey View Post
That combo almost reminds me of Ott/Avery in Dallas. Oh how I wish Buffalo would talk Avery into coming back to hockey.
Far less ego. Avery had pretty much the entire Dallas locker room against him within three months in a way that's pretty much unique to him. Ott's been the consummate professional so far, and Kaleta's too much of a team player.

More like a toned down Barnaby/Varada.

Last edited by struckbyaparkedcar: 08-01-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old
08-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post

I'll rephrase it....

Someone isnt doing their job if John Scott is a regular Buffalo forward. He can't even skate, and hes too big for anyone but other enforcers to even consider fihgting him. Chara sure as hell wont fight him, Lucic wouldnt (he learned his lesson after Colton Orr), McQuaid MIGHT (but hes Darth Quaider, he probably wouldnt feel anything)...that leaves Thornton.

Riddle me confused as to why the Sabres would have a 4th line plug who cant skate go against the best team in the division/one of the elite teams in the East.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
So true. I don't really know any Sabres fans who are against this signing -- defensive grit with agitation is always a good thing.
Yeah I love players like Kaleta/Chris Neil/Prust...players that can bring skill but piss the hell out of the opposition.

Ala, Marchand.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Insomniac99

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Far less ego. Avery had pretty much the entire Dallas locker room against him within three months in a way that's pretty much unique to him. Ott's been the consummate professional so far, and Kaleta's too much of a team player.

More like a toned down Barnaby/Varada.
I miss those two. Barnaby, obviously being the king of all agitators and Varada was just a bulldog. One of those guys who you could punch square in the face and he wouldnt blink. I wonder sometimes if he ever felt pain.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:50 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
I'll rephrase it....

Someone isnt doing their job if John Scott is a regular Buffalo forward. He can't even skate, and hes too big for anyone but other enforcers to even consider fihgting him. Chara sure as hell wont fight him, Lucic wouldnt (he learned his lesson after Colton Orr), McQuaid MIGHT (but hes Darth Quaider, he probably wouldnt feel anything)...that leaves Thornton.

Riddle me confused as to why the Sabres would have a 4th line plug who cant skate go against the best team in the division/one of the elite teams in the East.
Because Julien sends Thornton out against Vanek enough, and Shawny generally spends his time against Buffalo taking liberties. The only guy he should ever actually have fought on the Sabres roster over the past few years is McCormick (and even that is a strong mismatch in Thornton's favor), but he's got scraps against Gaustad, Weber, Montador, Regehr, Rivet, etc under his belt. Guys he knows he can beat, and who he usually either instigates with (Goose/Weber/Regehr) or goads into fighting through picking on a smaller, skilled player in front of them.

He's not going to be doing that this season, at least without setting a playdate with Johnny first. And that frees up Regehr/McCormick/Foligno/etc to fight within their weight classes when the time comes.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
I'll rephrase it....

I only want Scott to play against the Bruins. That's all. Just so he can pound on Lucic. Lucic got off scott free. This time he will have a Scott in his face if he wants to run a goalie, or what ever cheap shot the Bruins will do next time against the Sabres. We all know there will be a next time.

Also for Kaleta Great contract. Going to be great watching him for the next 3 years. Hopefully they can win a cup with a home town guy on the team.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Because Julien sends Thornton out against Vanek enough, and Shawny generally spends his time against Buffalo taking liberties. The only guy he should ever actually have fought on the Sabres roster over the past few years is McCormick (and even that is a strong mismatch in Thornton's favor), but he's got scraps against Gaustad, Weber, Montador, Regehr, Rivet, etc under his belt. Guys he knows he can beat, and who he usually either instigates with (Goose/Weber/Regehr) or goads into fighting through picking on a smaller, skilled player in front of them.

He's not going to be doing that this season, at least without setting a playdate with Johnny first. And that frees up Regehr/McCormick/Foligno/etc to fight within their weight classes when the time comes.
Are you saying Shawn Thornton is a spot picker and fights under his weight class? Huh? I suggest you look at his fight card, he'll fight anyone. Hes also a very classy player who gets grief all the time for fighting "by the code." If you guys had someone to fight, he would.

You guys think Scott will magically make your team tough? He wont play enough to have a major impact! Players like Ott (great addition by you guys) and Kaleta will, players who hustle and forecheck hard and have sandpaper to their game. Players like Chris Neil, Lucic...Players that can, ya know, play.

Just because Scott is playing 4 minutes a night doesnt mean everyone will be scared of you. I guarantee you Thornton and Scott will cancel each other out more often than not, and Scott will be riding pine not having a major effect on the game. Scott will do barely anything against the Bruins.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
I only want Scott to play against the Bruins. That's all. Just so he can pound on Lucic. Lucic got off scott free. This time he will have a Scott in his face if he wants to run a goalie, or what ever cheap shot the Bruins will do next time against the Sabres. We all know there will be a next time.

Also for Kaleta Great contract. Going to be great watching him for the next 3 years. Hopefully they can win a cup with a home town guy on the team.
This just sounds like you're whining. Sure it was a questionable play, but why would Lucic fight Scott? Lucic is a 60+ point 1st line winger, why would he fight someone who plays 4 minutes a game? Lol.

Why would anyone but Thornton fight Scott? Thats my point with him. Scott doesnt have enough effect on the game to justify anyone but Thornton fighting him.

And I hope Scott plays a lot, that just means there will be a skater who can't play hockey on the ice haha. I thought the goal was to win games? Not stand up to the big bad bruins.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:21 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I wouldn't call him a spot picker because he does fight heavys when presented to him, but against a team like the Sabres, when there's nobody in his weight class to check him, Thornton absolutely takes advantage of the fact that he can beat up anybody on the ice and crosses lines he might not otherwise. Campbell-Paille got matched against Vanek a fair bit at ES last season, and any time they were around the benches, Thornton was getting super aggy with the stick.

It's not that everyone will be scared of Buffalo now, it's that we can fight (and probably beat) a guy like Thornton, and still keep our on-ice toughness there rather than the penalty box. You know what happened when McCormick scrapped with Shawn? Lucic and McQuaid then had free rain to take runs at Kaleta. Now Scott goes with Thornton and everyone else moves down a peg. McCormick/Foligno/Regehr vs. Lucic/McQuaid/Boychuk is way better than McCormick/Foligno/Regehr vs. Thornton/Lucic/McQuaid.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
I wouldn't call him a spot picker because he does fight heavys when presented to him, but against a team like the Sabres, when there's nobody in his weight class to check him, Thornton absolutely takes advantage of the fact that he can beat up anybody on the ice and crosses lines he might not otherwise. Campbell-Paille got matched against Vanek a fair bit at ES last season, and any time they were around the benches, Thornton was getting super aggy with the stick.

It's not that everyone will be scared of Buffalo now, it's that we can fight (and probably beat) a guy like Thornton, and still keep our on-ice toughness there rather than the penalty box. You know what happened when McCormick scrapped with Shawn? Lucic and McQuaid then had free rain to take runs at Kaleta. Now Scott goes with Thornton and everyone else moves down a peg. McCormick/Foligno/Regehr vs. Lucic/McQuaid/Boychuk is way better than McCormick/Foligno/Regehr vs. Thornton/Lucic/McQuaid.
You mean our enforcer was getting super aggy with your star player? What do you think Kaleta does ALL the time? Lol. Its their job, what do you think Scott will do???

I'll agree to disagree I guess, but IMO Scott wont be as big of a deal as some of your comrades might think, he simply isnt a good hockey player, and against a team like the Bruins I dont htink 4 minutes of a glorified boxer is going to make that big of a difference.

And Lucic has fought McCormick and Gaustad before, the line of fighters isnt as black and white as you make it out to be.

Closed Thread