HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Discussion for all prospects including Adirondack Phantoms (AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2012, 11:34 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Heeter will most likely be there, unless they think he should back up Hovinen in the AHL. Cal Heeter looked REALLY good during prospect camp. Hostetter will also most likely be on the squad. He is a solid defenseman, nothing to much though. Konan MIGHT be there due to the numbers game, since we have so many defensemen up there. Wouldnt be surprised if Luke Pither gets sent down. He hasnt done much, and with guys like Noebels, and Johnson (Johnson who I would have said, but he looked REAL good during prospect camp. Kid flies on the ice and has some great vision) it will be hard for Pither to make the lineup.
There was an interview awhile back that was posted right after the season ended(I found the link but it's dead now) where Pryor said he expects Hovinen to start in the AHL and Heeter to be his backup.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:03 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

vCash: 500
Quote:
I think he will get a chance with the AHL squad. Looked big and solid from what I saw in the prospect camp. Didnt really stand out but that wasnt a bad thing.

The list is kinda old. Wouldnt go by it at all.

Heeter will most likely be there, unless they think he should back up Hovinen in the AHL. Cal Heeter looked REALLY good during prospect camp. Hostetter will also most likely be on the squad. He is a solid defenseman, nothing to much though. Konan MIGHT be there due to the numbers game, since we have so many defensemen up there. Wouldnt be surprised if Luke Pither gets sent down. He hasnt done much, and with guys like Noebels, and Johnson (Johnson who I would have said, but he looked REAL good during prospect camp. Kid flies on the ice and has some great vision) it will be hard for Pither to make the lineup.
I'd agree with 100% of that.

The Flyers site still has guys like Clackson listed so you can ignore it completely. They must sometimes update it because they have some of the new signings on there but then they also have some old prospects on it too. Under goalies they have Hovinen but they also have Morisson. Strange.

Depending on how many D the Flyers carry I wonder who will be bottom of the totem pole for the Phantoms. Hostetter for sure and then who? It won't be Syvret, Manning or Gus. I doubt Laurisden. Walker isn't an NHL'er but he also isn't an ACHL'er. So it's between Konan, Eddy, and Kessel. Eddy based on what McManus was saying was only demoted last year because of the contract situation (too many of the Phantoms were Flyer prospects), and if Konan is solid........ I wonder if Kessel might find himself in the ECHL for some time. Of course that would mean the Flyers and Phantoms are all healthy, which I guess will never happen.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I'd agree with 100% of that.

The Flyers site still has guys like Clackson listed so you can ignore it completely. They must sometimes update it because they have some of the new signings on there but then they also have some old prospects on it too. Under goalies they have Hovinen but they also have Morisson. Strange.

Depending on how many D the Flyers carry I wonder who will be bottom of the totem pole for the Phantoms. Hostetter for sure and then who? It won't be Syvret, Manning or Gus. I doubt Laurisden. Walker isn't an NHL'er but he also isn't an ACHL'er. So it's between Konan, Eddy, and Kessel. Eddy based on what McManus was saying was only demoted last year because of the contract situation (too many of the Phantoms were Flyer prospects), and if Konan is solid........ I wonder if Kessel might find himself in the ECHL for some time. Of course that would mean the Flyers and Phantoms are all healthy, which I guess will never happen.
As a veteran he can refuse to go to the ECHL anyway .... just for the record.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:26 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
As a veteran he can refuse to go to the ECHL anyway .... just for the record.
I wasn't aware of that. And yes I meant ECHL. So when is the cutoff for age?

Old
08-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
I wasn't aware of that. And yes I meant ECHL. So when is the cutoff for age?
Anyone who isn't in the entry-level system. CBA 13.11 (can't copy from my pdf ^^)

Old
08-01-2012, 08:43 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Walker should probably be on the Phantoms anyways. Need a vet back there

Old
08-01-2012, 09:22 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Ya, we have a lot of defenders trying to make 6 spots. I also agree one vet should be on the squad.

For now, lets take Gus out of the mix (and just say for ***** and giggles he made the big squad)

Manning and Syvret are a top 6 lock. I can't see Walker or Laurisden being sent down (they seem to be high on the Dane which Im happy about. Wouldnt be surprised if he was called up for a stint this year). Eddy will most likely make that 5th spot. Then you got Konan and Kessel fighting for the 6th. From what I remember reading, management seemed to sour on Kessel abit. Wouldnt be surprised if Kessel and Fitzgerald were the 7th/8th, and Konan made the 6th.

Old
08-01-2012, 12:03 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Heeter will most likely be there, unless they think he should back up Hovinen in the AHL. Cal Heeter looked REALLY good during prospect camp.
I believe that Brad Phillips is still under contract so I suspect that the Titans goaltending duo will be Heeter and Phillips with Hovinen and a veteran goalie with the Phantoms.

Old
08-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Ya, we have a lot of defenders trying to make 6 spots. I also agree one vet should be on the squad.

For now, lets take Gus out of the mix (and just say for ***** and giggles he made the big squad)

Manning and Syvret are a top 6 lock. I can't see Walker or Laurisden being sent down (they seem to be high on the Dane which Im happy about. Wouldnt be surprised if he was called up for a stint this year). Eddy will most likely make that 5th spot. Then you got Konan and Kessel fighting for the 6th. From what I remember reading, management seemed to sour on Kessel abit. Wouldnt be surprised if Kessel and Fitzgerald were the 7th/8th, and Konan made the 6th.
So wait, you have MAB, Gus, Gervais and Lilja all at the NHL level?

Old
08-01-2012, 04:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
So wait, you have MAB, Gus, Gervais and Lilja all at the NHL level?
I am starting to wonder if mab is even going to get signed. Something is up there. Most non big rfas have been signed. Gus i have as the 6th and gervias as 7th with lilja as 8. We still have a good amount of caproom f we dont do anything

Old
08-01-2012, 05:40 PM
thelos
Bunk

I think MAB is still dealing with concussion issues

Old
08-01-2012, 05:45 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
I think MAB is still dealing with concussion issues
Even with Gus, MAB, Lilja and Gervais for depth, I'd love to see Manning get extended play time to see how well he does.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:29 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

MAB might not ever play hockey again. He's still dealing with PCS and hasn't even begun training yet. The Flyers did qualify him so that they wouldn't lose his rights, but if he can't go again, they'll just waive him and then buy him out. From what I know, MAB hasn't even signed the qualifying offer yet, so that let's you know how bad of shape he's in.

As for Manning, I think he stays with the Phantoms for the year. I love what he brings to the table, but I think he could use a bit more seasoning and that he only had half a season under his belt last year. I think the Flyers need to take a little bit of time with Manning because he could be something REAL good.

I've also read that the Flyers are very high on Oliver Lauridsen and how his work ethic has been through the roof and that he really dramatically improved his foot speed and skating to the point that he can really fly now. His decision making has gotten infinitely better and that he could be another Grossmann in the making. They also believe that Lauridsen has real leadership skills and is a general on the ice.

With regards to Jason Akeson, he's been training with Claude Giroux this off season and that he too is also taking power skating classes. On top of it, Akeson is really looking forward to working with Terry Murray to work on the defensive side of his game.

I have to admit though, I'm kind of giddy about Scott Laughton and what to expect from him this year. I know he didn't get an invite to the Team Canada summer camp, but if he has a real strong year for Oshawa (and he's pegged in to be the first line center there), he might just get a call to the December camp. The guy is a gamer and could possibly be a future Keith Primeau-type of center, but with more offense.

I also think that this is the year Nick Cousins scores 100 points in his third OHL season. He too could also get an invite to the Team Canada winter camp. The guy is a gamer and I can see great things from him. He'll be moved to the wing, but he and Laughton could possibly be the future third pairing and could really be something else to watch. I can already see a line of Simmonds - Laughton - Cousins in the future just being a nightmare to play against. As well, I can also see a second pairing of Read - Schenn - Voracek on a first line of Hartnell - Couturier - Giroux. That's a disgustingly great top nine in three years from now. There's scoring, there's defensive ability, there's grit on all three lines.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:37 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Homer said today that MAB is OK and he expects the contract to be signed shortly.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:44 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Homer said today that MAB is OK and he expects the contract to be signed shortly.
Not that I dont believe you but where did you hear this?

Old
08-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Not that I dont believe you but where did you hear this?
Sarah Baicker ‏@sbaickerCSN

Holmgren on Bourdon: "I would expect in the near future we'll get something done (as far as a contract) with Marc-Andre." MAB is RFA.

Sarah Baicker ‏@sbaickerCSN

Holmgren also said that Marc-Andre Bourdon, who suffered a concussion last season, is "fine."

Old
08-01-2012, 08:49 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Yeah that is where I saw it as well. He also said mez was good to go in the media conference call

Old
08-01-2012, 09:28 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
MAB might not ever play hockey again. He's still dealing with PCS and hasn't even begun training yet. The Flyers did qualify him so that they wouldn't lose his rights, but if he can't go again, they'll just waive him and then buy him out. From what I know, MAB hasn't even signed the qualifying offer yet, so that let's you know how bad of shape he's in.

As for Manning, I think he stays with the Phantoms for the year. I love what he brings to the table, but I think he could use a bit more seasoning and that he only had half a season under his belt last year. I think the Flyers need to take a little bit of time with Manning because he could be something REAL good.

I've also read that the Flyers are very high on Oliver Lauridsen and how his work ethic has been through the roof and that he really dramatically improved his foot speed and skating to the point that he can really fly now. His decision making has gotten infinitely better and that he could be another Grossmann in the making. They also believe that Lauridsen has real leadership skills and is a general on the ice.

With regards to Jason Akeson, he's been training with Claude Giroux this off season and that he too is also taking power skating classes. On top of it, Akeson is really looking forward to working with Terry Murray to work on the defensive side of his game.

I have to admit though, I'm kind of giddy about Scott Laughton and what to expect from him this year. I know he didn't get an invite to the Team Canada summer camp, but if he has a real strong year for Oshawa (and he's pegged in to be the first line center there), he might just get a call to the December camp. The guy is a gamer and could possibly be a future Keith Primeau-type of center, but with more offense.

I also think that this is the year Nick Cousins scores 100 points in his third OHL season. He too could also get an invite to the Team Canada winter camp. The guy is a gamer and I can see great things from him. He'll be moved to the wing, but he and Laughton could possibly be the future third pairing and could really be something else to watch. I can already see a line of Simmonds - Laughton - Cousins in the future just being a nightmare to play against. As well, I can also see a second pairing of Read - Schenn - Voracek on a first line of Hartnell - Couturier - Giroux. That's a disgustingly great top nine in three years from now. There's scoring, there's defensive ability, there's grit on all three lines.

I hope you're right except about MAB's situation which according to Sarah Baicker is in fact he case.

Old
08-02-2012, 07:17 AM
poneill27

Quote:

This whole post made my weenie move a little bit.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:

Nice post. I doubt Read will be here in 2 years with him being a UFA and Schenn, Giroux, and Couturier all up as well. I think Andrew Johnston might be the guy to replace him. No real incite just a gut feeling based on what I read and the prospect camp. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

I haven't read anything that suggests that the dane can fly. Far from it actually. I've read that he's improved his foot speed dramatically, but is still below average. Which isn't terrible. I also haven't seen anything regarding his decision making. He's not going to outlet a pass like Pronger, but his game is understandably very simple. I've read quite a few things mentioning that he's a good defenseman without the puck on his stick, but needs far more confidence when it is there.

Akeson was training with Giroux last year too. He may have very talented hands, but he doesn't seem to have the faintest idea in defense, nor the defensive work ethic. I personally doubt that he ever see's time with the flyers.

He doesn't have the size for Primeau. He's built more like Richards. It's still far to early to expect anything from this kid.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves right now. Cousins hasn't played a game in the NHL yet, and he will be a marked man when he gets here. He's an agitator, a good one at that. But he still has a long, long way to go before he ever hits the NHL. He needs to improve his footspeed a great deal.
I think we need to keep our feet on the ground a little here. I'm not trying to be pessamistic, but I remember the days when Jones, Rusicka and Sharp were the future of the club.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:43 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I think we need to keep our feet on the ground a little here. I'm not trying to be pessamistic, but I remember the days when Jones, Rusicka and Sharp were the future of the club.
Yeah the problem with fan predictions is that no one ever accounts for busts. Every prospect reaches their max potential

Old
08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
Yeah the problem with fan predictions is that no one ever accounts for busts. Every prospect reaches their max potential
Let's also recognize as much as everyone overhypes some prospects, if a guy gets selected late or not at all, it also takes people a lot longer to buy into them (a la Matt Read).

Basically, it can work both ways sometimes.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

There is a significant difference when someone touts every prospect to make the NHL.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
There is a significant difference when someone touts every prospect to make the NHL.
Umm where dis he tout every prospect. He called out 4 players. Two of them have been praised by the flyers themselves. I dont think its a long shot at all for three of those four to make the nhl...

Closed Thread