HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
08-01-2012, 06:00 PM
guest1467

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Not every Habs fan is from Quebec............
Sorry, I thought you were talking about attending a frosh in Quebec.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
DAChampion

If anybody needs advice on math and physics courses/programs feel free to send me a PM.

I give the strongest recommendation to those two departments at McGill. If you go that route, you're getting some of the best education available in those disciplines.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:16 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Sorry, I thought you were talking about attending a frosh in Quebec.
Not a problem, just came off as kinda douchy

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:29 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If anybody needs advice on math and physics courses/programs feel free to send me a PM.

I give the strongest recommendation to those two departments at McGill. If you go that route, you're getting some of the best education available in those disciplines.
Best advice to aspiring engineering, physics or math students: Make it easy, go into business, you'll make more. Joking, but true, and I'm not in business so not biased.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:32 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Best advice to aspiring engineering, physics or math students: Make it easy, go into business, you'll make more. Joking, but true, and I'm not in business so not biased.
Please.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:35 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
It depends on your temperament. You can easily go far north of 100k by working for defense contractors or Wall Street.

And you can go far north of that by dropping out of school and starting your own company :-)

Old
08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:

Yeah, I know a guy who just graduated in Math and he's now going to Johns Hopkins in Biostats for his Masters and PhD. Pretty neat stuff.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 06:47 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Yeah, I know a guy who just graduated in Math and he's now going to Johns Hopkins in Biostats for his Masters and PhD. Pretty neat stuff.
I believe John Hopkins is one of the three best biostats PhD programs in the world. Your friend is going to do very well.

Old
08-01-2012, 06:54 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

So anyone want to continue informing me about frosh week? I'm quite interested. Past experiences/highs and lows would be appreciated

Old
08-01-2012, 07:22 PM
shakenbake7

Quote:
Thanks, thats helpful. Well I saw a sort of itinerary on the site, but none of the events really seemed to involve drinking, was i just reading it wrong or is it supposed to say their is drinking. Just kinda confused by everything lol.
I'll be honest... there will be drinking at everything. And it will be glorious.

shakenbake7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 07:49 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakenbake7 View Post
I'll be honest... there will be drinking at everything. And it will be glorious.
Oh I'm excited, but is it the same in Quebec/MTL as is would be in Ontario? (frosh week)

Old
08-01-2012, 07:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Please.
Are you in Acturial or acturial/finance?

Quote:
It depends on your temperament. You can easily go far north of 100k by working for defense contractors or Wall Street.

And you can go far north of that by dropping out of school and starting your own company :-)
I was teasing more than anything else. I'm in engineering and constantly hear of 40-50k starting wages when I know people younger than me in finance making 70k per.

Old
08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
pine

Quote:

I was teasing more than anything else. I'm in engineering and constantly hear of 40-50k starting wages when I know people younger than me in finance making 70k per.
regular but I can switch if I decide too, just need to decide if I want to pickup those finance classes.

Old
08-01-2012, 08:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
regular but I can switch if I decide too, just need to decide if I want to pickup those finance classes.
What you leaning towards?

Old
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Not every Habs fan is from Quebec............
You shut your lying ***** mouth.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 08:30 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
You shut your lying ***** mouth.
Forgot the

Old
08-01-2012, 08:33 PM
pine

Quote:
What you leaning towards?
Think I will, not completely sure yet. And I got into coop lol so I have more time to think about it.

Old
08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Thanks, thats helpful. Well I saw a sort of itinerary on the site, but none of the events really seemed to involve drinking, was i just reading it wrong or is it supposed to say their is drinking. Just kinda confused by everything lol.
Quote:
So anyone want to continue informing me about frosh week? I'm quite interested. Past experiences/highs and lows would be appreciated
Every school has a different Frosh so it's hard to give exact perspective. I'm a Frosh Leader this year at Bishop's University, so I can at least try to help.

At Bishop's, our Frosh is all one event, whereas other schools do their Frosh by major. I happen to think that's stupid, because in my group of friends I have psych, pre-med, health sciences, business, sociology, education etc. etc. Splitting by department just segregates students from potential friends for no reason, but some schools don't have the luxury of being such a small school. At Bishop's all the froshies go to Frosh-sign-up day, where they pick a "team"... Frosh leaders will try to convince you to join their frosh groups. Each frosh team has a "frosh house" that they party at before events. As a Frosh Leaders, the 5 of us are supplying alcohol for our entire group, I didn't spend a cent all week last year as a froshie. However, this varies from school to school, some friends from back home told me they had to pay for everything. So I can't help you there.

Frosh week is (obviously) affiliated with the school, so they won't expressly say that there's drinking involved, but it's assumed that drinking will take place beforehand and afterwards. Example would be after dinner you show up at your frosh house, start drinking, playing games, dancing, getting to know people. Then it's to your Frosh concert, scavenger hunt, whatever event it may be. Then there should be an after party somewhere nearby. For me, I had rugby training camp the week before and we drank a lot at night then too, so those two weeks combined were a bit of a blur.

Bishop's is unique in that Frosh is a giant competition. You perform tasks like taking a shot of egg, whiskey and tobasco, doing a naked mile, winning a game of flip-cup, and more (a lot more, and a lot crazier). You get gold, silver and bronze coins and the team that wins gets a massive party thrown for them later in the year. There's also Frosh Queen, Frosh King (for which I was a finalist, still bitter haha) and other awards to be won at closing ceremonies.

Frosh is a great way to meet new friends, and take the anxiety away from starting university through a shared wild experience. But it's important to remember, that while you'll see some wild things, and see a lot of very very very drunk people, you're under no obligation to do anything you're not comfortable with. Some people think doing the craziest tasks is the best way to make friends, which is just untrue. Have fun and rest will figure itself out.

This is one of my best friends chugging a bottle of maple syrup during our Frosh Week:

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 09:43 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Class registration was interesting. I was supposed to take 5 classes that would all go towards my two majors: Intro to Historical Studies, Approaches to the Past, Intro to Cell/Molecular Bio, Stats, and Cognition and Motivation in Sport. I try to register and surprise, I have to take an ILT co-requisite credit for Historical Studies. The one slot for ILT is the same time as Cognition and Motivation in Sport, Monday 10:00am. Another history class I could have taken was also at that time. Anyways, super bummed out that I couldn't take Cognition and Motivation in Sport cause it sounds very interesting. I scrambled to find another course, ended up registering for Sports Writing. Kind of rattled that I have to take a class notorious for being easy (basically a throw-away course) that doesn't go towards either of my majors. All because I have to take a class that teaches us how to use the school's online library resources. ILT is one 1.5 hour class a week for the first half of the semester, everyone gets over 90% and just cruises Facebook the whole time. My 4 year plan gets messed up for that

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

I know people making 70k after 2 years post-graduation, usually with a bank. But, not everyone makes that much that fast. The median is somewhere around the 50k mark. Engineers easily make more.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:24 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I know people making 70k after 2 years post-graduation, usually with a bank. But, not everyone makes that much that fast. The median is somewhere around the 50k mark. Engineers easily make more.
Is staying in Quebec important to you?

The way to make money with a math degree is to go to New York, Hong Kong, London, etc.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Andy

Does anyone know if Uottawa has anything like a frosh for new grad students?

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Does anyone know if Uottawa has anything like a frosh for new grad students?
You're a grad student, you're not allowed to have fun.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
I know someone who made 60K+ WHILE in school. (if they did 40 hours a week, they were accomodated for school and did less)...and yes, it's with a bank.

Engineers out of school make about 40-50k. It doesn't really go up 20K in 2 years. For the amount of work we do we get shafted pretty hard. The only benefit of my particular degree is I can end up doing a business related career quite easily but it's unlikely(to impossible) Business students would qualify for engineering. It really depends what field you go into. **** like accounting(lucky you) and finance do relatively well. If you get your CA which any accounting student should aspire to do, you'll be relatively better off. What makes it interesting is, 3 years of Business+1 year of CA grad(prep or classes, dunno)=4 years of school and a good salary. 4 years of engineering=less than a CA. Kind of what I mean by getting shafted a bit. I think even a M.Eng makes less than a CA but I could be wrong.

------------------------------------

I'm doing some JMSB classes actually, curious if anyone has ever taken MANA 300? I'm tempted to take it. It's 2 from BTM 480, BTM 430 and MANA 300.

BTM 430 – Enterprise Resource Planning and Information Technology Integration
BTM 480 - Project Management
MANA 300 - Entrepeneurship: Launching your own business

They all interest me and I think BTM 480 is a given but not sure on others.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
I know someone who made 60K+ WHILE in school. (if they did 40 hours a week, they were accomodated for school and did less)...and yes, it's with a bank.

Engineers out of school make about 40-50k. It doesn't really go up 20K in 2 years. For the amount of work we do we get shafted pretty hard. The only benefit of my particular degree is I can end up doing a business related career quite easily but it's unlikely(to impossible) Business students would qualify for engineering. It really depends what field you go into. **** like accounting(lucky you) and finance do relatively well. If you get your CA which any accounting student should aspire to do, you'll be relatively better off. What makes it interesting is, 3 years of Business+1 year of CA grad(prep or classes, dunno)=4 years of school and a good salary. 4 years of engineering=less than a CA. Kind of what I mean by getting shafted a bit. I think even a M.Eng makes less than a CA but I could be wrong.

------------------------------------

I'm doing some JMSB classes actually, curious if anyone has ever taken MANA 300? I'm tempted to take it. It's 2 from BTM 480, BTM 430 and MANA 300.

BTM 430 – Enterprise Resource Planning and Information Technology Integration
BTM 480 - Project Management
MANA 300 - Entrepeneurship: Launching your own business

They all interest me and I think BTM 480 is a given but not sure on others.
Most of what you said is true, but the way I see it:

3 years for Bachelors + 1 year CA program + 2 years work experience (mandatory in order to get your designation) = 6 years (usually 5 because CA students take night classes while working during their stage)

Then you factor in that:

- There is a Concordia final exam, and if you don't pass it, Concordia doesn't allow you to do the UFE (Uniform Final Exam), that's their way of keeping the pass rates incredibly high

- A lot of people fail the UFE

- In order to get a job with a CA firm, you need to network and sell yourself. It's really a cut throat industry, and you're in a service industry so you can't just be all about numbers, you need to be a good people's person.

Getting a CA is hard, I'm not even sure I'll make it. I'll let you know this September (I'll be doing recruitment, where we try to get an internship with a CA firm).