HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[#12] Voting -- HFStars 2012 Top-20 Prospects -- [#13] Discussion

View Poll Results: Who's the Stars' #12 prospect?
Beskorowany 0 0%
Bystrom 10 23.81%
Guptill 8 19.05%
Jokipakka 0 0%
Klingberg 2 4.76%
Lindell 0 0%
Molin 6 14.29%
Ritchie 16 38.10%
Sceviour 0 0%
Shore 0 0%
A. Smith 0 0%
G. Smith 0 0%
Troock 0 0%
Vance 0 0%
Winther 0 0%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2012, 12:34 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Fair enough, all of these things are out of his control unfortunately. Your explanation makes sense but I think putting up near historical numbers should be an eyebrow raiser. Guess we'll see what he's made of at training camp and in the AHL.
He's a (longshot) top 6 prospect, no doubt. Can't deny his skill level, but again, just remember, he's got 2-3 years on all of our prospects.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:09 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Can I ask why? Don't know a whole hell of a lot about him.
Which one?

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Fair enough, all of these things are out of his control unfortunately. Your explanation makes sense but I think putting up near historical numbers should be an eyebrow raiser. Guess we'll see what he's made of at training camp and in the AHL.
Doesn't have that next level, elite scoring touch. Always withstood that he looks more like a utility guy, with complimentary scoring ability. For reference, Guptill has better offensive creativity as a freshman than Smith had as a senior, in my opinion.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:42 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I just noticed that Klingberg was the biggest riser last year with a 6 spot jump. Even with Glennie falling 7 spots, I could see Klingberg at least matching that or falling further this season.

I think home sickness causing him so many problems last year is a legitimate concern that indicates a potential maturity red flag. I get that it sucks being a 19 year old in a foreign country, but mental toughness is a big part of sports. Nearly ever hockey prospect leaves home and often at a younger age. If he can't handle being a short train ride or flight from home, how is he going to keep it together in NA?

Tomas Vincour left the Czech Republic has a 16 year old to pursue his career. Radek Faksa left home to be on his own at 11, and then left his country at 17.

I think it's fair to question Klingberg's mental toughness.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:04 AM
BigG44

Someone just posted this article about Klingberg in the Swedish prospect thread: Link

The Details ... two separate surgeries on both hips.

Quote:
On May 15 he flew to the U.S. to be investigated by the NHL club Dallas Stars physician. There was an inquiry which revealed that he had suffered from burdening of both hip joints. It affected hip delayed movement and Klingberg decided in agreement with Dallas, he is contracted by, to operate on both hips to get rid of the problems.

On May 21 he was operated on the right hip and 13 June it was the surgery on the left.

- After the first surgery I stayed with Les Jackson, who is the club's player developers, the first few days after surgery and got help. It was lucky because I could barely walk. Then I moved back into the hotel and got help from my father who came over in ten days, says John, who threw the crutches two weeks following the first operation.

- After the second operation she is coming over and helping me, so it has gone smoothly right after all.
The Good ... his recovery is going well. The first reports said he may not play until November. Now Klingberg is hoping to only miss a few weeks of the SEL season.

Quote:
Rehaben has gone better than expected. Now I aim to be back in a few weeks after the series started. It's a goal I have set for myself to have something to aim for. Then we'll see how it goes.
The Bad ... a wasted summer to get bigger and stonger.

Quote:
Me and Stephen Thomson is fitness coach in Skellefteć had been looking forward to this summer. I know what I need to work on, I need to get stronger and heavier. Now this did not happen and it's a little tough, but it's very nice to get these problems corrected, said John Klingberg.
The Ugly ... he admits Finland was tough on him because of the language barrier. Although he says the AHL won't be as tough because he can at least speak English, he admits he's gun shy about coming to NA. He already turned down a request from the Stars to make the jump this season.

Quote:
Had I been able to rewind the tape and make a change, I had not moved to Finland, where I was quite alone. While I regret it because it gave me important experience. I got to feel what it feels like to go on a real hardship, and there will I be able to take with me in the future, says John Klingberg.

- It was fantastic when I came to Rome and quickly made many friends. It was important for me that is a social person.
Quote:
They wanted to lend me last season and was also set to make it this year, but then repented and they wanted me to come over and play in the AHL. Now I said I wanted to play in Sweden this season because I feel that it may go well for both me and the team this season. Then I will not rush away. I might even stay next year, too, explains John Klingberg.
Quote:
It was a little stressful with Jokerit time Dallas got back to me and asked if my development. It was a strange situation and I started feeling sorry for myself in Finland. I tried to take me by the collar, but it did not and when I moved home.

- They say it is a nightmare in the AHL, but it can not be worse than in Finland. In the AHL, they can at least speak English.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:34 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
I know him turning down the AHL isn't good, but it probably worked out better than if he had.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:00 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I know him turning down the AHL isn't good, but it probably worked out better than if he had.
I actually agree with you it's probably a good thing he's spending some more time in Sweden. I'm more concerned with the mentality some of his quotes seem to indicate he has. He's saying he heard the AHL a nightmare and talking about how important his social life is.

A motivated player fighting to make the NHL probably wouldn't be too concerned with those things.

Old
08-02-2012, 12:07 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
How certain are you that you're getting an accurate translation?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:27 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
How certain are you that you're getting an accurate translation?
The Google translations are usually solid, but you're right there could be something lost. I thought it was a legitimate concern before reading the article, and it was just a coincidence after mentioning that that I noticed the article in the Swedish thread.

Several sources though other than this article mentioned the home sickness in Finland being an issue. This article seems to go a step further and blame it on his inability to communicate. However, I guess I just don't understand his argument that the AHL will be easier because people speak English. I know neither Sweden or Finland is a country where 100% of the population is bi-lingual and fluent in English, but we know that each country boasts a large number of English speaking citizens. I just find it a bit hard to believe he was totally isolated with no English speaking teammates or support staff.

Maybe that's an incorrect assumption, but it it seems reasonable to me that you could go most places and find someone that speaks English in Finland. Therefore, I tend to think his issues had more to being lonely and home sick as originally reported.

Old
08-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
I traveled to Sweden this winter and didn't find a single person that couldn't speak English. 90% of the time they were extremely fluent. My mothers side of the family is from Finland and every time we have relatives come visit us their English is also very good. I am surprised by the statements as well.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:17 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Therefore, I tend to think his issues had more to being lonely and home sick as originally reported.
The kid's 19 going on 20; people mature emotionally at different rates. I won't be worried about it until he's 21-22 and still having homesickness issues.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:21 PM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
hopefully it's just klingberg being brutally honest (in addition to being a bit lost in translation). hockey player interviews tend to be horribly contrived and boring, thereby allowing players to keep their emotions within. i mean, at that age, no matter how driven you are to achieve your hockey ambitions or how well teammates speak a common language, there has to be some level of loneliness and confusion to be in a strange new place. perhaps klingberg's liiga team didn't incorporate him well into the team culture?

pardon my ignorance, but how did klingberg end up in liiga anyway? i see he played both in finland and sweden last year.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:28 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
His previous SEL team, Frolunda, is known to be somewhat reticent in giving young players much responsibility and you can imagine how that would be magnified in the case of a freewheeling offensive D like Klingberg. Jarmo Kekalainen (famed St. Louis scout) of Jokerit recruited him to make the jump to the SM-liiga.

Our Finnish/Swedish posters can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think broadly speaking, it's true that more Swedes speak better English than Finns.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:26 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
That's probably true. Education wise both countries are probably the same. From what I understand, Finns are taught English as a second language at the same level of education as Swedes are.

The difference comes from similarities of the language. Swedish is a Germanic language, the same as English. Meanwhile Finnish is its own type of language branching from the Eastern European Uralic family, and shares more similarities with the Baltic languages. I'm no linguist but I'd imagine this is why Swedes tend to be able to adopt English with more ease and less accent than Finns. You can get guys like Lidstrom and Lundqvist who speak perfect English with barely a trace of the accent. Finns usually seem to have a bit of a rougher time with it.

So while I'd imagine Big is right that English should have been well understood there, I'd say the prevalence of it spoken on a regular basis is probably a lot lower than in Sweden.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:34 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
His previous SEL team, Frolunda, is known to be somewhat reticent in giving young players much responsibility and you can imagine how that would be magnified in the case of a freewheeling offensive D like Klingberg. Jarmo Kekalainen (famed St. Louis scout) of Jokerit recruited him to make the jump to the SM-liiga.

Our Finnish/Swedish posters can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think broadly speaking, it's true that more Swedes speak better English than Finns.
Klingberg's brother Carl had a falling out with Frolunda the same season as well. He was ultimately traded ... to Timra IIRC ... to finish the season. The falling out was over playing time.

John Klingberg said that situation had no impact on his, but you'd imagine there was at least some motivating factor to move on.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Man ... I really hope I didn't just waste my time. Looking back at your response ... were you talking about Molin or Klingberg?

Hey sorry man, I'm down on Padre vacationing so sorry for the late response! Meant Klingberg, and that was an excellent writeup! I've only seen him in the WJC, so thanks!

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I'm super impressed by everybody in this forum this offseason. We're getting some incredibly good information from a lot of you guys, and it's bringing us all in closer to what's going on. Love it. Wanted to thank you all for it as well, great discussions!

So I'm pretty worried about his hip surgeries. 19 and already having delayed movements? Seems like it may be one of those things that's either an incredibly great recovery, or bust. Honestly, after the style of game he plays, this may be a really bad situation.

Also, I'm pretty concerned that he turned down Austin, thinking about it more. We have a great coaching staff in place now, and I know the trainer and team doctor. They definitely know what's up, and if he chose to come over here for the surgery, then why not try to get back on the right track as well? I think some time in the CHL (Physical league) Could help build his confidence and even help with his recovery.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote