HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who do you think is the most improved team as of Aug 2, 2012

Old
08-02-2012, 12:44 PM
irishtemper

vCash: 500
Gonna have to say Detroit obviously AINEC.

irishtemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:46 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
Explain Tampa
Added a goalie, two to 4 defencemen to upgrade their inferior defence and goaltending. Seems rather obvious.

My under-the-radar picks

Buffalo: Biggest thing for Buffalo is they became a lot tougher to play against by adding Steve Ott and John Scott. Along with guys like Corey Tropp, Marcus Foligno and Brayden McNabb, all of whom should be regulars this season, Buffalo went from being a small, skilled but exceedingly soft team, to a team with skill and a number of guys who will play physical on/over the edge hockey and a nuclear deterrent like Scott to discourage guys from going after the physical players. They're one of the few teams who looked at a very real deficiency all season last year and made a concerted effort to address it.

Columbus: Seriously, though, I think Columbus is going to be more like Edmonton from this past year, then the Columbus we saw last season: a team that likely still will finish near the bottom of the league, but a team that will at least battle for and be in every game they lose. They replace a guy who doesn't want to be there (Nash) and a guy who wasn't there (the oft-injured Kristian Huselius) and a few that shouldn't have been there (various fill-ins and AHLers) with guys who will compete and compete hard for that team up front: Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov, and Nick Foligno. They have a solid blueline already, and adding Ryan Murray, Adrian Aucoin and Tim Erixon, makes it even stronger. And they sought to address problems in goal with Sergei Bobrovsky who had a rough 11-12, but is only one year removed from a 28 win .915 PCT and 4 shut-out rookie season. At best, he'll step in and be the #1 goalie they need, at worst he'll push Steve Mason to regain his form. I don't know that, standings-wise, Columbus will be much better this year, but at least they will make some headway, I think.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Dallas, minnesota, and carolina are the most improved and as much as i hate them vancouver is an honorable mention since they got Garrison

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
I think the team that improved the most is Carolina. They now have a number one Center with Jordan Staal
So... Eric Staal wasn't a number one center?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Homegrown Kings
ft. Philly & Lumbus

Quote:
I think the team that improved the most is Carolina. They now have a number one Center with Jordan Staal and if Alexander Semin can play like he did in Washington and score 20+ goals they have vastly improved their team from last year. They may not be the best team in the league but I feel they are better than last year..
Didn't they already have a 1C named Staal?

They've made some big waves this off-season but I think their D is still a bit of a question mark. SE will be an interesting division with all the changes.

My vote goes to Minnesota. They were surging early in the season, and showed some really promising signs, so I think with these upgrades they'll definitely be in playoff contention.

Homegrown Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:54 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Carle is a negative.
you see us play D last year? It. Can. Not. Get. Worse.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 50
This thread again?

Everyone remembers Parise & Suter when they think of Minnesota's offseason acquisitions; however, they aren't remembering Torrey Mitchell and Zenon Konopka. Minnesota's problems last year stemmed from lack of high end talent, and more importantly lack of depth. Both of these problems were addressed.

How can the right answer not be Minnesota?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:06 PM
compan

Anybody but Minnesota or Carolina are wrong.

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Carolina, Minnie and then Dallas. It is pretty close between Minnie and Canes to me but they are at the top. Nobody said Flames.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:16 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Wait... what? When did Dallas do anything this off-season?

I thought the only moves they made were acquiring Jagr and Whitney, or did I miss something...?

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Minnesota pretty easily.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:32 PM
MiKE5889

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Wait... what? When did Dallas do anything this off-season?

I thought the only moves they made were acquiring Jagr and Whitney, or did I miss something...?
They also acquired Derek Roy from Buffalo for Ott and Pardy.

With free agency included, I would say that losing Ribeiro, Ott and Pardy in exchange for Whitney, Roy, Jagr, Eakin and a second round pick must be seen as quite a huge improvement.

MiKE5889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:02 PM
InjuredChoker

Minnesota first, then Carolina, followed by Dallas.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Could make a case for Edmonton with Schultz signing, Yakupov drafting and all of Dubnyk, Eberle, Hall and RNH all being 1 year older. Colorado is similar with their young guys being 1 year older + PAP signing is pretty solid.
Christ. An improvement is likely but no, IMO there is no "case" for them being the most improved team. Especially when their biggest additions not only have no NHL experience, but no AHL experience either. Way too premature.

Carolina easily IMO. Minny 2nd. HM to Tampa

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKE5889 View Post
They also acquired Derek Roy from Buffalo for Ott and Pardy.

With free agency included, I would say that losing Ribeiro, Ott and Pardy in exchange for Whitney, Roy, Jagr, Eakin and a second round pick must be seen as quite a huge improvement.
Isn't Roy also injured for months tho? They are improved but I think they are going to miss Ott and Ribs much more then people think. I don't think they are improved near as much as people think.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Pohlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Isn't Roy also injured for months tho? They are improved but I think they are going to miss Ott and Ribs much more then people think. I don't think they are improved near as much as people think.
Roy will be back in action before November. If he can return to form, I'd expect a 70 point season, especially with the wingers he's centering.

Anyway, Dallas isn't as improved as Carolina or Minny, but mos def third.

Minnesota

Carolina

Dallas

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Chayos

I think this thread is easy to sort out at the top with the canes and the wild being head and shoulders above everyone else, but there are a lot of teams that improved to consider.

1) Minny- How can you not be most improved when you add a top 5 winger and top 10 d-man in the same summer. Their cap situation is very tight now, so this had better work.

2) Carolina- the fact that they added a top flight center and a goal scorer makes them the second most improved team and they are not tied to Semin long term which may be a bonus given his play the last couple of years.

3) Edmonton- With the addition of Schultz and Yakupov the oilers are even more loaded with youth than before. They could easily jump minny or carolina if that youth does something. The fact that they are both on entry level deals gives the oilers cap flexibility going forward when its time to pay eberle and hall at the end of this season.

4) Tampa bay- they added 2-top 4 d-men and a couple of new gaolies which should be a step in the right direction.

5) NYR- adding nash is a huge step and should help spread their scoring around

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
scoringmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
I'm on my phone, so I can't really link the information, but you should look at Dubnyk's stats from January 1st on, they were quite respectable.
I am not saying that Dubnyk is a terrible goalie. But you need to find a reliable number one goalie that can steal games for you. On most teams Dubnyk would be a backup goalie rather than a number one goalie. You have Khabibulian(sp?) but he is injury prone so buy him out and invest in getting a top goalie. If you stay with Dubnyk then you have to pray that your team can score 3 or more goals a game as that what it would take to win games as Dubnyk will not steal you a lot of games like Lungo, Kipper, and Johnathon Quick can

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:11 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
This thread again?

Everyone remembers Parise & Suter when they think of Minnesota's offseason acquisitions; however, they aren't remembering Torrey Mitchell and Zenon Konopka. Minnesota's problems last year stemmed from lack of high end talent, and more importantly lack of depth. Both of these problems were addressed.

How can the right answer not be Minnesota?
I understand you're excited and all but let me play devil's advocate here for a minute. The NYR were a team before the salary cap (And even AFTER) that made huge UFA additions to their team year in year out and while I'm sure some panned out, it did nothing to elevate them to the next level like they thought it would.

Let's also not forget that Suter and Parise are in unfamiliar territory with the burden of leading the team in their respective positions - something they have yet to accomplish. So there's some reasons why Minny shouldn't be crowned just yet.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:29 PM
compan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I understand you're excited and all but let me play devil's advocate here for a minute. The NYR were a team before the salary cap (And even AFTER) that made huge UFA additions to their team year in year out and while I'm sure some panned out, it did nothing to elevate them to the next level like they thought it would.

Let's also not forget that Suter and Parise are in unfamiliar territory with the burden of leading the team in their respective positions - something they have yet to accomplish. So there's some reasons why Minny shouldn't be crowned just yet.
"Most improved as of August 2, 2012"

I think they fit that to a T. They acquired a Top line winger and Top pairing D man along with some decent depth moves. Only team close IMO is Carolina,

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:40 PM
TheGreatOne11

Carolina Minny and NY.

If i HAD to put them in order

Minnesota
Carolina
NY Rangers

I think Minny's going to do great this year, If I recall correctly they started off great then had a bunch of injury's and fell apart, with Parise and Suter I imagine them having a good playoff run this year.

TheGreatOne11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:40 PM
SheasRebellion6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Carle is a negative.
Don't spoil it for them wait for the season to start.

SheasRebellion6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

This is a stupid argument. You're saying, since they're now the #1 on the team in terms of position, they'll have more pressure? They're amazing players, I'm sure they'll make due.

Grasshopperking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:51 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
This is a stupid argument. You're saying, since they're now the #1 on the team in terms of position, they'll have more pressure? They're amazing players, I'm sure they'll make due.
Well they won't have a Weber or a Kovalchuk beside them. I'm worried about Parise and his lackluster playoff performance as a captain and Suter as being propped up by Weber. Not sure how it's a "stupid argument" just because you're offended by it.

smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 06:04 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Carolina.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote