HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TOR 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 1sts

Old
08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
CreeksideStrangler

vCash: 500
Omg, have we stooped THIS low? I think the OP is JFJ. Just go!

CreeksideStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
How many of you would be willing to trade your team's 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 1st round picks for the Leafs' 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 1sts.

The reason I'm asking is because, generally, teams are trying to acquire assets to form a "core" or "nucleus", and generally (especially in today's NHL) that means having lots of prospects that are around the same age group.

A trade like this, based around futures, is one that helps both teams, one for the present, and one for the future.

Your team could be acquiring assets that help them become a contender in 3-5 years' time. The Leafs would get assets to make them a contender in 7-9 years' time.

So what's the incentive for the Leafs? Well, that's part of the discussion. How would you tweak this trade to ensure that it's fair to both sides? Would you include 2nd rounders? Maybe the Leafs get your 2nds for this quad-year stretch, and the Leafs give you their 2nds later? Or maybe the Leafs get a prospect now, and your team gets future considerations?

Let me know!
It's a clever idea, but there's zero motivation for anyone save the Leafs to do this trade.

Or, to borrow from HHTTG, "ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking."

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Is there a mathematical model for the basis of this argument?
There kind of is, since first round picks right now directly affect where those future first round picks are going to be. It's somewhat of an inverse relationship.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 03:17 PM
My Sweet Shadow

I guess this is kind of interesting in a "thinking outside the box" kind of way. I just don't really understand the point. Wouldn't you hope that our picks would gradually get later in the draft as the team improves down the road? If we ship out next years pick, which turns out to be another top 10 pick, then it's not going to be much of a consolation at all to have an extra mid to late 1st rounder 4 years from now...even with an additional 2nd rounder.

It seems like a recipe for disaster to me...one that I don't think any NHL GM would want to risk.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote