HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Summer Olympics

Old
08-02-2012, 06:58 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
2 boxing judges expelled, another suspended. Bout damn time they did something about those hacks.

The Azerbaijan boxer had a lead going into the 3rd and final round, in that round he was knocked down 6 times. However the ref never issued any standing 8 counts, the Azerbaijan boxer was awarded 10 points and held on for the short lived win.

Quote:
AIBA has been involved in controversies regarding Azerbaijan's program as recently as last September, when British network BBC reported on allegations that in exchange for a $10-million loan, Azerbaijan's boxers would be promised two gold medals at the 2012 London Olympics.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/xxxx/news...l-rulings.html

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 07:03 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
2 boxing judges expelled, another suspended. Bout damn time they did something about those hacks.

The Azerbaijan boxer had a lead going into the 3rd and final round, in that round he was knocked down 6 times. However the ref never issued any standing 8 counts, the Azerbaijan boxer was awarded 10 points and held on for the short lived win.
They really need to eliminate the head gear. They may in 2016, and if they do that Azerbaijani would have not gotten up at some point in that round.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:05 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I really wish that the sport of boxing would stop trying its hardest to kill itself....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:14 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I really wish that the sport of boxing would stop trying its hardest to kill itself....
I don't follow it closely at all, but watching good boxing is really really exciting.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

Archery is now the most popular Olympic sport according to ratings. That is what I read in the USA Today this morning. Weird.

Also..USA leading in total medals and tied for most Golds. So I guess they can list countries any way you want and the US is on top

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:04 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Archery is now the most popular Olympic sport according to ratings. That is what I read in the USA Today this morning. Weird.

Also..USA leading in total medals and tied for most Golds. So I guess they can list countries any way you want and the US is on top
I watched the USA vs Italy Gold medal show down in archery, and it was oddly entertaining... as was fencing, between two non-USA countries no less.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Judrix
Kruger is our 2C

I've been enjoying handball, swimming, beach and normal volleyball, basketball, and can't wait for track and field. The boxing was too boring to watch, so was the fencing. Water polo was okay, but they foul so often and I have no idea what is going on.

Judrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

There are a lot of summer olympic sports i just can't get into - like archery, fencing, shot put (and some of the other "field" events)...but then i'm happy as a clam watching rowing (and find it quite riveting) and, no joke, not only look forward to the marathon but can sit on my couch watching the entirety of it without getting up

I'm extremely tolerant of pretty much every winter olympic sport - i honestly can't think of a winter olympic sport that i won't watch/will get bored of.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:28 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
The start sucked because our guys underperformed. They may not have won a medal one way or the other, but they were better than what they have shown.
You have 17 medals now - is that good re your expectations?

Germany is impressive b/c it's one of the few countries that excels both in the summer and winter olympics (and obviously has done so post-unification). Also, even though your population is much bigger than Canada's there are much bigger countries out there - so your results re your population size are very impressive.

Canada is ahead of schedule re: medal count. We have failed to secure a gold medal, though - I think we were projected to get two gold medals...both coming in the second week...but still. We've been treated to a couple of media whiners complaining that we're so excited for our bronze and silver medals while the US and China "demand gold" ... even though Canada has fewer than 35 million people while the US has 310 million and China has 1.3 billion

Old
08-02-2012, 11:30 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Bronze and Silver medals are equivalent to coasters round these parts.

Old
08-03-2012, 12:37 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Bronze and Silver medals are equivalent to coasters round these parts.
reduce your population by about 275 million - and your national pride would throw a wider net

Old
08-03-2012, 12:51 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
reduce your population by about 275 million - and your national pride would throw a wider net
Pfft, we'll just keep all the good athletes, who win all these medals.

Old
08-03-2012, 12:53 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judrix View Post
Water polo was okay, but they foul so often and I have no idea what is going on.
Water polo seems pretty simple, from what i've watched. I think the only thing to really know is the foul rules.

- Outside of 5 meters: free shot if you want it, or play continues
- Between 5 meters and I guess 2.5: Power play for I think 15 or 20 seconds
- Inside 2.5 meters: penalty shot

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:48 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
You have 17 medals now - is that good re your expectations?

Germany is impressive b/c it's one of the few countries that excels both in the summer and winter olympics (and obviously has done so post-unification). Also, even though your population is much bigger than Canada's there are much bigger countries out there - so your results re your population size are very impressive.

Canada is ahead of schedule re: medal count. We have failed to secure a gold medal, though - I think we were projected to get two gold medals...both coming in the second week...but still. We've been treated to a couple of media whiners complaining that we're so excited for our bronze and silver medals while the US and China "demand gold" ... even though Canada has fewer than 35 million people while the US has 310 million and China has 1.3 billion
yeah, it looks better now than after the first 2-3 days. Right now we are as good as hoped and could get another gold today

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

I like the biking inside in the drome. That is fun to watch. And I shoot competitive clays so ***** and doubles trap is funfor me. Not into ping pong, badmitton, diving, basketball, and most track and field. I respect the track and field just that it doesn't make for much exciting TV when someone is running 10k. I think the winter games are more fun with sports most people don't see very often.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:13 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Team handball is way more physical then I thought it would be. Very entertaining.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:55 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

With his loss overturned, Errol Spence is now the last US boxer still alive.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:01 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Team handball is way more physical then I thought it would be. Very entertaining.
I thought it got kind of boring to be honest, but looks like it'd be a freakin blast to play.

Quote:
With his loss overturned, Errol Spence is now the last US boxer still alive.
When is his next fight?

Old
08-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I am so glad the swimming is over tonight. Half of every broadcast dedicated to swimming was getting tiresome especially after about night 3 I felt I had seen everything already and it was just a repeat over and over.

As for boxing it's gotten so bad, after the Pac Avery fight I decided I will never watch boxing again because I can't do it anymore. I love the sport but politics and cheating have ruined it professionally and I don't think there is anything to get it back on track. Plus when the only fight left that will draw and worldwide audience isn't going to happen because of whatever reason there is nothing left to save it.

These games have been filled with bad judging though, there was the poor fencer who lost because the clock was broken and had to sit there for 30 min while the judges decided, the GB cycling team admitting to cheating, the boxing event and the incident involving Japans gymnastic team where this took place.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

I too am soooooo done with swimming.

Old
08-04-2012, 10:26 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I too am soooooo done with swimming.
Me, too. The sheer volume of races was to much...and I was tired of them constantly flashing to Michael Phelps mom after every race he did

After much delay, Canada has finally secured its first gold medal in...women's trampoline

Old
08-04-2012, 10:31 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
This Senegal - Mexico soccer match is very entertaining. Tons of chances both ways, both keepers have been great.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 01:28 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
I am so glad the swimming is over tonight. Half of every broadcast dedicated to swimming was getting tiresome especially after about night 3 I felt I had seen everything already and it was just a repeat over and over.

As for boxing it's gotten so bad, after the Pac Avery fight I decided I will never watch boxing again because I can't do it anymore. I love the sport but politics and cheating have ruined it professionally and I don't think there is anything to get it back on track. Plus when the only fight left that will draw and worldwide audience isn't going to happen because of whatever reason there is nothing left to save it.

These games have been filled with bad judging though, there was the poor fencer who lost because the clock was broken and had to sit there for 30 min while the judges decided, the GB cycling team admitting to cheating, the boxing event and the incident involving Japans gymnastic team where this took place.
They need to pay to have that filed.

Old
08-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
They need to pay to have that filed.
I know that, but it shows that it was bad judging that an appeal had to be filed and a couple of questions about it. Why do they have to pay to file an appeal, why does the money have to change hands right then and there most importantly why in an incident involving a Japanese team in England is US currency used?

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 02:56 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
I know that, but it shows that it was bad judging that an appeal had to be filed and a couple of questions about it. Why do they have to pay to file an appeal, why does the money have to change hands right then and there most importantly why in an incident involving a Japanese team in England is US currency used?
Because, in a very simple and general sense, US currency is the currency of the world.