Top 10

Old
08-02-2012, 09:47 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPNDOUGH View Post

Also, Operation: Mindcrime is the only QR album I still own. Good Album. Empire was the only other one I had, but lost it somewhere. Are any of the other ones any good, particularly Mindcrime 2?
I can highly recommend all their stuff up to and including Empire - sorta lost my way after that by getting back into following the Bruins full time. Especially their debut EP Queen of the Reich - mind blowing. Geoff's voice is off the charts good. I had the pleasure of meeting them in person after a show - great guys all around.

Gonna Get Close to You is an awesome song and video - check them out.

eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

vCash: 500
Gonna have to post mine tomorrow. Mindcrime, Empire, and Queen of the Reich are all very, very good. I love Mindcrime.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:19 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Seldon View Post
Awesome list. I have several of those if not in my top ten, than at least very close to it.

Note to self: Pick up Imaginaerum.
I always loathed Anette Olzon with a passion. Serious hatred. I loved Tarja and thought they lost their way when they fired her. I was proven VERY wrong with Imaginaerum. I have spun it at least twice a week since I bought it, I think it's brilliant. It's poppy sometimes, moody sometimes, heavy, circus like...I can not say enough about it. If you like Nightwish at all buy it, do it now.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:20 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf8188 View Post
Gonna have to post mine tomorrow. Mindcrime, Empire, and Queen of the Reich are all very, very good. I love Mindcrime.
Mindcrime is ****ing brilliant. If I named 11 it would be on the list.

Old
08-03-2012, 12:26 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:

Also, Operation: Mindcrime is the only QR album I still own. Good Album. Empire was the only other one I had, but lost it somewhere. Are any of the other ones any good, particularly Mindcrime 2?
Mindcrime is the one to own if you own one.

Empire is great although, the back half of it really faded in my opinion.

Rage For Order has it's moments.

The Warning is not something I care to listen to a lot but it has some good things (Take Hold of the Flame for one).

Promised Land has it's moments as well (Damaged is a great track).

Hear in the Now Frontier was rubbish.

Mindcrime II has one good track (The Hands) and the rest feels like empty writing.

Everything they have done since has been even worse.

Old
08-03-2012, 12:44 AM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Quote:
I'm gonna have to break out my Superchunk CD's. I honestly can't decide which I like more between No Pocky, and On the Mouth. Precision Auto, For Tension, Package Thief, New Low(up there with Slackmofo), and The Question is How Fast are some of my favorite 'chunk songs. Pocky's songs more consistently rock though I think.

I think I also prefer BtS's "Keep it like a Secret" to "Perfect From Now on". Hard to choose.

Some other album's I would have loved to have brought to the island would have been:

NOFX-"Punk in Drublic", Rancid - "Let's Go or ...and out come the wolves", Dropkick Murphys- "Do or Die", Less Than Jake- "Pezcore, or Losing Streak", Choking Victim- "No Gods, No Managers", Suicidal Tendencies -"Lights Camera Revolution", OMD- best of, The Cure - "Disintegration", Concrete Blonde- "Bloodletting", School of Fish-eponymous, Tsunami- "Deep End", Husker Du- "The Living End", The Muffs, Juliana Hatfield- "Become What you are", Tiger Trap, Pearl Jam- 10, The Faint - "Blank-Wave Arcade" or "Danse Macabre", NIN- Pretty Hate Machine, Violent Femmes, any Sleater-Kinney album, any Dino Jr, any Pixies, any White Stripes, Weezer- Blue or Pinkerton....hmmm, maybe Pinkerton Thugs -"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of ****"....yeah, the more I think about it the harder it gets.

Ive seen Superchunk a bunch of times, most recently at the Pitchfork fest in Chicago last summer. I told my girlfriend if we ever get married, Im going to see if Superchunk will play the wedding. THE BEST live band ive ever seen, no hyperbole. It was over 100 with humidity last summer and I stood in the middle of a dirt field to see them. I love them. Seriously. Awesome band. No Pocky is my favorite, but Come Pick Me Up and On The Mouth are right there. "Revelations" from Foolish is my favorite song from the group.

Out of the rest of your list: Husker Du, Flip your Wig is one of my faves. Dino Jr. "Where you Been". Pixies, yes all their CD's are amazing. Love Bossanova, but Trompe La Monde, Doolittle or Surfer Rosa would do.

Good music is better than anything. Well, most things . Lonnie knows where Im going with this lol.

HooperDrivesTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Man this is tough. I could easily break this down as a genre top 10, but if its one list...

1. High On Fire - Snakes For the Divine
2. City & Colour - Bring Me Your Love
3. Mastodon - Leviathan
4. Baroness - Blue Album
5. Led Zep - In Through the Out Door
6. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
7. Bongzilla - Gateway
8. Circa Survive - On Letting Go
9. Mos Def - The Ecstatic
10. 311 - Transistor

Honorable mentions to:
1. Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Dead
2. Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire
3. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
4. Tool - Lateralus
5. A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms

Diverse enough to not get sick of.

Guiledoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:03 AM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Man this is tough. I could easily break this down as a genre top 10, but if its one list...

1. High On Fire - Snakes For the Divine
2. City & Colour - Bring Me Your Love
3. Mastodon - Leviathan
4. Baroness - Blue Album
5. Led Zep - In Through the Out Door
6. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
7. Bongzilla - Gateway
8. Circa Survive - On Letting Go
9. Mos Def - The Ecstatic
10. 311 - Transistor
Good call on Circa. Anthony Green is truly one of the best songwriters of the last decade.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
Good call on Circa. Anthony Green is truly one of the best songwriters of the last decade.
Was hard to pick a single Circa album honestly, they are all good. Anthony Green is incredible. Great lyricist, incredible vocal ability. Even his work with Saosin was awesome.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:07 AM
XtremeofParanoia

Quote:
Was hard to pick a single Circa album honestly, they are all good. Anthony Green is incredible. Great lyricist, incredible vocal ability. Even his work with Saosin was awesome.
Absolutely. I still get goosebumps every time I hear "Seven Years" off of Translating the Name. Hard to believe that EP came out 9 years ago.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
Absolutely. I still get goosebumps every time I hear "Seven Years" off of Translating the Name. Hard to believe that EP came out 9 years ago.
Totally just listened to it again, so good!

Old
08-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Ughhhhh I don't know how I can leave the 63 minute epic "Dopesmoker" by Sleep off of that list...

This is way too hard!

Old
08-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Lobster57

vCash: 225
Quote:
Ughhhhh I don't know how I can leave the 63 minute epic "Dopesmoker" by Sleep off of that list...

This is way too hard!
great pick, and TWSS

Lobster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
I always loathed Anette Olzon with a passion. Serious hatred. I loved Tarja and thought they lost their way when they fired her. I was proven VERY wrong with Imaginaerum. I have spun it at least twice a week since I bought it, I think it's brilliant. It's poppy sometimes, moody sometimes, heavy, circus like...I can not say enough about it. If you like Nightwish at all buy it, do it now.
I didn't mind Anette on Dark Passion Play, actually think it's one of their better albums. Although it's a far step from Tarja.

I got a bit concerned with the talk of Imaginaerum being combined with a movie, thinking they might be going down the wrong track. But I heard the single, and it was good. It's on my backlog, and will most likely be included in my next order. Hmm, maybe I should start to put one together...

Dr Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I'm not.

It's not their fault they were lumped in w/ all the brutal hairbands of the era. More of a fault of the mtv generation and industry at the time. Their form of music was already dead by the time they came along. I'd also guess that that Bri is probably a guitar player. Nuno can play circles around just a/b any guitar player mentioned in this thread. So much so, when they were just a club band in Boston, Berkley students would pack the area in front of Nuno in awe of his playing, and unique sense of rhythm. They had enough respect in the industry that later Gary sang for Van Halen, Nuno cameos on a lot of artist's albums, and now plays for Rhiana. Most just fade away into oblivion, these guys were musician's musicians.

Cam Neely...very big Extreme fan.
You are correct. I don't get to play nearly as much as I used to, but Nuno is simply outstanding.

And the "hair band" label may have been fair for their first record (though "Watching Waiting" and a couple other tracks defy the genre) but it's not a fair label overall...especially from "III Sides..." on. I've always felt that their record label put some pressure on them to be more of a hair band...it was a lucrative genre for a long time.

Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:58 AM
gtbruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
1) Blonde on Blonde - Dylan
2) The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle - Springsteen
3) Box of Visions - Tom Russell
4) Imperial Bedrooms - Elvis Costello
5) Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
6) Blessed Are - Joan Baez
7) A Pretty Good Guy - Chris Knight
8) Careless - Mickey and the Motorcars
9) Murder Ballads - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
10) Coup de Grace - Mink DeVille
10.01) Legend: Very Best of - Townes Van Zandt
Yes to #1, my favorite album of all time as well.

gtbruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
You are correct. I don't get to play nearly as much as I used to, but Nuno is simply outstanding.

And the "hair band" label may have been fair for their first record (though "Watching Waiting" and a couple other tracks defy the genre) but it's not a fair label overall...especially from "III Sides..." on. I've always felt that their record label put some pressure on them to be more of a hair band...it was a lucrative genre for a long time.
Maybe, but there was so much more to their songs and song writing than what most would call a "hairband". They were more of a 90's version of Aerosmith. Like Joe Perry, Nuno was a riff and hook master. That, and as we know, he could just rip. Problem w/ their label was, they released the wrong singles off that first album. They released their more mainstream songs, and held back on the stuff that made them unique, like teacher's pet or smoke signals. They just didn't know how to market them. Another problem was Nuno publicly punking out other guitar players for not playing on their own albums. Making him very unpopular w/ bands that could have gotten them more exposure.

Nuno was definitely one of a kind, still is. III Sides should have put them in their own category, and way over the top. Definitely on my top 10. But by then, if you weren't from seattle w/ a heroin needle hanging out of your arm, playing barre chords and soloing out of key, you were old news. They just hit at the wrong time. Where GNR hit exactly at the right time.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

This is EXTREMELY difficult...

My List if we can NOT use Greatest Hits Albums
(which - for the record, I think should be the way it's done...)

1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9
2. The Beatles: Abbey Road
3. Mark Knopfler: Shangri-La or Golden Heart
4. Chet Atkins and Les Paul: Chester and Lester - Guitar Monsters
5. Alexandre Dumas: The Counte of Monte Cristo (audiobook)
6. Pink Floyd: probably Dark Side... Or the Wall... or Atom Heart Mother. But probably Dark Side...
7. Robert Cray: Strong Persuader or I Was Warned
8. Steve Howe: Not Necessarily Acoustic
9. Sheryl Crow: Wildflower
10. Tony Bennett: Perfectly Frank

Wow - there's a lot left off... I've left off most of my all-time favorite bands...

TCDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:42 PM
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightspokedb View Post
1. Phantom of the Opera double soundtrack
2. Iron Maiden - Live After Death
3. Queen - Live Magic
4. London Quireboys - A Bit of What You Fancy
5. Gary Moore - Wild Frontier
6. Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
7. Judas Priest - Live
8. Queen - Night at the Opera
9. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
10. A CD burned with all my favorite single songs - too many to list
10a. KISS Alive I - just for God of Thunder and RRAN alone
11. Hysteria - Def Leppard

eightspokedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDaniels View Post
This is EXTREMELY difficult...

My List if we can NOT use Greatest Hits Albums
(which - for the record, I think should be the way it's done...)

1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9
2. The Beatles: Abbey Road
3. Mark Knopfler: Shangri-La or Golden Heart
4. Chet Atkins and Les Paul: Chester and Lester - Guitar Monsters
5. Alexandre Dumas: The Counte of Monte Cristo (audiobook)
6. Pink Floyd: probably Dark Side... Or the Wall... or Atom Heart Mother. But probably Dark Side...
7. Robert Cray: Strong Persuader or I Was Warned
8. Steve Howe: Not Necessarily Acoustic
9. Sheryl Crow: Wildflower
10. Tony Bennett: Perfectly Frank

Wow - there's a lot left off... I've left off most of my all-time favorite bands...
Would be nice if it were possible.

Ferinstance, while a well crafted album can be a perfect piece of art that can be a conduit for whatever emotion that it invokes in you, guys like James Brown never made a "great" album per se, but had some absolute killer tracks that compiled are necessities for me. He has two defining careers, the King Years and the Polydor/People years, of which I can't imagine not having a greatest hits package on a DID for me....life without James Brown and his JB's? I'd rather die.

Chuck Berry is another one, as is Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sly Stone and Elvis. Seriously, can you name me an Elvis LP that is a killer work of art or would you rather go for the complete Sun years of his singles and b-sides?

You also have bands like Zep, Beatles and Stones that put out so many good LPs, how can you pick just one?

Again, this is impossible endeavor.....I'd go nuts, or at least go down with the ship if I had to decide which 10 I'd have to choose.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:57 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Would be nice if it were possible.

Ferinstance, while a well crafted album can be a perfect piece of art that can be a conduit for whatever emotion that it invokes in you, guys like James Brown never made a "great" album per se, but had some absolute killer tracks that compiled are necessities for me. He has two defining careers, the King Years and the Polydor/People years, of which I can't imagine not having a greatest hits package on a DID for me....life without James Brown and his JB's? I'd rather die.

Chuck Berry is another one, as is Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sly Stone and Elvis. Seriously, can you name me an Elvis LP that is a killer work of art or would you rather go for the complete Sun years of his singles and b-sides?

You also have bands like Zep, Beatles and Stones that put out so many good LPs, how can you pick just one?

Again, this is impossible endeavor.....I'd go nuts, or at least go down with the ship if I had to decide which 10 I'd have to choose.
It's possible... Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti, Beatles: Abbey Road, Stones: Some Girls...

See? easy as pie.
No - but seriously.... That's the whole point - it's SUPPOSED to be tough! Of course I'd rather have all these GH compilations...

The problem that I have with Greatest Hits disks is this (actually - there are 2)...

1) It's an easy way out. Can't decide which Zeppelin album? Pick the box set. Heck - pick the Box Set 1 AND Box set 2. Then you'll have every zeppelin tune. Can't pick a Steely Dan album? Pick Citizen... Then you'll have all of their songs. It's a cop out.

2) (the more important aspect)... Individual albums represent a moment in time - an artists statement based upon where that artist is at any given period in life... Alice Cooper doing "From the Inside" after his stay in a sanitarium... Led Zeppelin doing "3" after having done 2 bluesy/heavier albums... REM doing Monster after Out of Time and Automatic...

Greatest Hits Albums are (for the most part) - a group of songs selected by a record company to generate the most profit... Of course there are the rare exceptions, but for the most part.

You shouldn't be able to pick and choose all the best songs from an artist's career... The whole idea of this is to take the good with the bad, and figure out what is - in whole - the best.

Otherwise why not simply answer: "All the songs I like by AIC, cause - you know - I burned them all on a CD that I play in my car all the time... Oh - and that AC/DC playlist on my ipod.... That one too"

As a side note: Live albums (IMHO) SHOULD be allowed. They may be a greatest hits compilation, but they do represent 1) a setlist chosen by the artist, and 2) a singular moment... If a live performance is good enough to be on your list, I got no problems with that

TCDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
In no particular order:

1. Surrealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane
2. Let it Bleed - Rolling Stones
3. A Night at the Opera - Queen
4. Fragile - Yes
5. Works, Vol. I - Emerson, Lake and Palmer
6. Days of Future Passed - Moody Blues
7. Toys in the Attic - Aerosmith
8. Who's Next - The Who
9. "Cabaret" movie soundtrack
10. "Dr. Zhivago" movie soundtrack
I have a list of music that 95% of people here probably only are familiar with 10% of the list. But "A Night at the Opera" ALMOST made my cut, even though I've heard it a trillion times.

Also... Great call on the "Dr. Zhivago" Soundtrack. Maurice Jarre is one of the all-time greats. "Eyes Without a Face", "Topaz", "The Year of Living Dangerously"... So many. "Lawrence of Arabia" too, I guess. "Dreamscape". Too many to name. Brilliant stuff.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:25 PM
RistucciaRat
Beg, Steal or Borrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
I was always a fan of the Fixx. OTLTA is a great album from start to finish.
Wait, what? Big Fixx fan here, particularly big Jamie West-Oram fan, but there is no album titled One Thing Leads to Another. I assume you mean Reach the Beach, which I wore though my vinyl copy back in the 80s. Awesome album, but just wanted to get the facts straight

RistucciaRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:36 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Man, I figured after 5 pages at least one other person would have a Primus album in their top 10. I guess I figured wrong.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Man, I figured after 5 pages at least one other person would have a Primus album in their top 10. I guess I figured wrong.
It was close.... i scratched off Frizzle Fry last second.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote