Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Press conference for signings?

Old
07-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Press conference for signings?

Does anyone know when or if the flames will be having a press conference to officially welcome jiri hudler, Dennis wideman and maybe cervenka?

Flamesarmstrong22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
Does anyone know when or if the flames will be having a press conference to officially welcome jiri hudler, Dennis wideman and maybe cervenka?
Nevermind those bums, I want to see Ben Street!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Deen

vCash: 129
I'm not surprised to see Ben Street get a 2-way contract. Streets tend to go both ways.

Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
I'm not surprised to see Ben Street get a 2-way contract. Streets tend to go both ways.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Nordberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:33 PM
MarkGio

The Flames have been awfully quiet lately. I would think if Feaster was done that he would hold a press conference to talk about next season with the additions of Cervenka, Hudler, and Wideman, while letting go Moss and Jokinen. How this all was a product of what the organization examined as solutions of specific problems. He would likely talk about the next move, being prospect camps and tourney. All the usual stuff that comes with the summer presser.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:00 PM
MarkGio

Did anyone see the Cervenka presser? It seems that Feaster is expecting Cervenka to be the centremen on the top line. It will be difficult to generate chemistry without speaking English, therefore Tangs, Cervenka, and Iggy will have to depend on the force.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:07 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Did anyone see the Cervenka presser? It seems that Feaster is expecting Cervenka to be the centremen on the top line. It will be difficult to generate chemistry without speaking English, therefore Tangs, Cervenka, and Iggy will have to depend on the force.
I got the felling that he believes he is a top 6 center and will play with Hudler but that is what I got from it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:09 PM
hockeycore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
That's probably the only time I've seen someone post a video response on these boards that worked with the quoted post and actually ended up funny. .

hockeycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Feaster is not the coach, and to be frank he is not a hockey guy. For all we know, Hartley may want to use Cervenka as a winger. That's great if he signed him based on the expectation that he has the potential to fill that role. But even our GM has no idea if he is going to center our top line.

I'd be ecstatic if it worked out that way, but let's see this guy play an NHL game before we label him anything big Jay.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:50 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Feaster is not the coach, and to be frank he is not a hockey guy. For all we know, Hartley may want to use Cervenka as a winger. That's great if he signed him based on the expectation that he has the potential to fill that role. But even our GM has no idea if he is going to center our top line.

I'd be ecstatic if it worked out that way, but let's see this guy play an NHL game before we label him anything big Jay.
Jay was probably giving him a sales pitch. You know, "we need a number one centre, so don't sign in Pittsburgh where you'll be taking faceoffs from the fourth line".

Old
08-02-2012, 10:52 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

I have a feeling that what ever Feaster says to the public about hockey is what Weisbrod tells him like the Janko comment was actually Weisbrod's comment.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I didn't see the whole the presser, so I'm probably over reacting a little lol.

Its just we all know what a talker and salesman Feaster is, and really he is no position to be guaranteeing anything Cervenka related at this point.

This is the same guy that said if Richards would of signed here, that Richards, Iggy and Tangs would of all been 100pt players.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:03 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I didn't see the whole the presser, so I'm probably over reacting a little lol.

Its just we all know what a talker and salesman Feaster is, and really he is no position to be guaranteeing anything Cervenka related at this point.

This is the same guy that said if Richards would of signed here, that Richards, Iggy and Tangs would of all been 100pt players.
There is no way to know how they would have done but he was clearly trying to sell the idea of them. He never guaranteed Cervenka a spot but he said repeatedly that his scouts said that he should be a top 6 player.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I agree to, he should be a top 6 guy without question if his game transfers over to the NHL. And from all reports of him and his work ethic, I hopefully optimistic they are right!

Regarding Richards, true there is no way of knowing. But each year there is what, 1 maybe 3 guys tops that crack 100pts. Iginla has never hit that mark, he would pretty much have to have a perfect season to do it and have instant chemistry with Richards. While I completely agree he was trying to sell it, to me that's just Jay being Jay.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:

This is just wrong. I understand he might not be one of the best in the business, but the man knows hockey.
What really qualifies you to "be a hockey guy?"

Yes, he didn't play competitive hockey, or coach a team... but the man worked for years in Hershey, was the GM of a Stanley Cup Championship team, and is now the GM of the Calgary Flames. He is surrounded by "great" hockey minds, and is studying the game.

Feaster knows his stuff, and is a very intelligent man. You don't have to play the game to understand it. (yes it helps, but its the be all, end all.)

Anyways, sorry for the rant... I just hear that from so many people, and think it's just a silly statement .

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
This is just wrong. I understand he might not be one of the best in the business, but the man knows hockey.

Yes, he didn't play competitive hockey, or coach a team... but the man worked for years in Hershey, was the GM of a Stanley Cup Championship team, and is now the GM of the Calgary Flames. He is surrounded by "great" hockey minds, and is studying the game.

Feaster knows his stuff, and is a very intelligent man. You don't have to play the game to understand it. (yes it helps, but its the be all, end all.)

Anyways, sorry for the rant... I just hear that from so many people, and think it's just a silly statement .
100% agreed. If he wasn't a 'hockey' guy, he wouldn't be a GM. I mean for ****s sake, he got Tampa Bay a cup and basically turned that team around.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Remember2004

So what If Cervenka does well do we sign him again? And for how much? Isn't he getting a little over 3 mil? or is that only with bonuses? 2.85mil I think thats what he is getting.

Remember2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:35 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
So what If Cervenka does well do we sign him again? And for how much? Isn't he getting a little over 3 mil? or is that only with bonuses? 2.85mil I think thats what he is getting.
That's with all bonuses. He actually has a one year ELC with mega bonuses.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post

I won't dispute this post, you make good points. However, Feaster has admittedly said that he is not a hockey guy (sorry I don't have a link). And IMO there's nothing wrong with that. Feaster is a student of the game as you say, and he has surrounded himself with hockey people.

I am a General Manager of a Wholesale store and I majored in business. Both of the owners where I work have the same background in business, and neither of us have specialized in the trade of the industry we are in. We have hired people in the industry that are experts and rely on them heavily and learned lots from them about their trade. We focus on running the business side of things and everything works extremely well. This is kind of how I see the Flames being run.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:29 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
I won't dispute this post, you make good points. However, Feaster has admittedly said that he is not a hockey guy (sorry I don't have a link). And IMO there's nothing wrong with that. Feaster is a student of the game as you say, and he has surrounded himself with hockey people.

I am a General Manager of a Wholesale store and I majored in business. Both of the owners where I work have the same background in business, and neither of us have specialized in the trade of the industry we are in. We have hired people in the industry that are experts and rely on them heavily and learned lots from them about their trade. We focus on running the business side of things and everything works extremely well. This is kind of how I see the Flames being run.
I believe this is a pretty accurate analysis of the situation.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:

great response. I guess I`m use to so many fans attacking the guy, I felt the need to take a stand... In this case, it was not warranted. I made my own assumption (which was wrong.)

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
His base salary is only around 1M, the rest is bonuses. And if he plays well and has a decent season, I wouldn't be against re-signing him.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:22 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
His base salary is only around 1M, the rest is bonuses. And if he plays well and has a decent season, I wouldn't be against re-signing him.
So if he plays like ****, he doesn't get those bonuses? Or were those signing bonuses?

Old
08-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
So if he plays like ****, he doesn't get those bonuses? Or were those signing bonuses?
I believe its a max ELC contract, so I think the bonuses are games played, points, trophies etc.

IIRC his signing bonus was $92,500, performance bonus of $2,850,000 and a salary of $925,000.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote