HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

10,000 Pt XXXI: There is no Spoon (mod note re: election | Post #986)

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 01:30 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
10,000 Pt XXXI: There is no Spoon (mod note re: election | Post #986)

continued from http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1209643

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.

Last edited by SpinTheBlackCircle: 08-14-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old
08-03-2012, 01:39 AM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Pssh, that sporting event is only at XXX. This OT is beyond that.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
Tea and crumpets all around!

Old
08-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Yeaaaah got the work study position I applied for! Now to look for apartments in LA

Old
08-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Indiana Jones 4 is still the worst.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:51 AM
Chaotic8
Boarding Major

vCash: 516
I find the excessive amounts of screaming in Transformers: Dark Moon to be unexpectedly enticing.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:53 AM
WTFetus

Speaking of Transformers, Transformers: The Ride is awesome. Makes going to Universal Studios somewhat worth it (instead of spending another day at Disneyland).

Old
08-03-2012, 02:03 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Hopefully the US can break the tie in gold medals and keep the overall medal count above China. Gf's mom is extremely patriotic and calls her constantly to talk about how good China is. Would be nice to see them lose. >_>

Old
08-03-2012, 02:15 AM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
Hopefully the US can break the tie in gold medals and keep the overall medal count above China. Gf's mom is extremely patriotic and calls her constantly to talk about how good China is. Would be nice to see them lose. >_>
China has a sixth of the world's population. They should be running away with the medal count. Tell her that even a blind Chinese squirrel will find a nut now and then. Or maybe a water chestnut.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:20 AM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
My parents are the same... ugh...
Well mom at least

Old
08-03-2012, 02:24 AM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
My parents are the same... ugh...
Well mom at least
Ya her mom calls her constantly about it. I didn't really care about Olympics previously... Now I'm just silently rooting against China. Even my gf is so her mom can stop calling about it.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:43 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadmanSJ View Post
China has a sixth of the world's population. They should be running away with the medal count.
I don't get this argument. There can only be a certain number of athletes per country. You can't exactly have 20 Chinese Gymnasts vs 2 Americans.

Unless you mean they have a higher chance of creating great athletes. Then again, India is the 2nd most populated country in the world, and they have how many medals?

Old
08-03-2012, 03:03 AM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I don't get this argument. There can only be a certain number of athletes per country. You can't exactly have 20 Chinese Gymnasts vs 2 Americans.

Unless you mean they have a higher chance of creating great athletes. Then again, India is the 2nd most populated country in the world, and they have how many medals?
He does mean the second option, but China is a very rich country compared to India and spends a lot of money on their athletic programs. In order to have top athletes you need to have top training facilities. The reason China and the United States have the highest number of medals is because of the population and the money spent on training athletes in development programs. Great Brittain has the same ability to train athletes as both the US and China but they haver only a few medals. That is because they don't have the population.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

How about the argument that no other country indoctrinates their population into slavery to train or lies about the ages of their athletes. Whens the last time that happened? The USSR?

Old
08-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Let the Chinese patriots have their fun for now. Everyone knows when it's all said and done America will win the Olympics.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Go Finland!

Old
08-03-2012, 08:49 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810

Old
08-03-2012, 10:57 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
He does mean the second option, but China is a very rich country compared to India and spends a lot of money on their athletic programs. In order to have top athletes you need to have top training facilities. The reason China and the United States have the highest number of medals is because of the population and the money spent on training athletes in development programs. Great Brittain has the same ability to train athletes as both the US and China but they haver only a few medals. That is because they don't have the population.
Although the US has by far the most money of any country, so can spend a lot more looking for and training athletes than even China. Not sure we do, but if we wanted to we could. Which is why we're the greatest

Old
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
Although the US has by far the most money of any country, so can spend a lot more looking for and training athletes than even China. Not sure we do, but if we wanted to we could. Which is why we're the greatest
Ehh, that's not really true.

I am actually surprised on a regular basis that U.S. athletes are able to compete and win on the world stage because of the living conditions enjoyed here vs. a developing nation. It seems like we have a bunch of partying college kids that go out and win golds, where in some areas it seems like the sport is the only thing that matters. I do know our athletes work hard and train relentlessly to be as good as they are, there are just more opportunities to slack off here and there and devote time elsewhere.

I also boggle at the fact that we call these people world champions, when only a very slim fraction of the world's population has attempted these sports. Can you imagine what the landscape would look like if every person was evaluated for which sports they were best at? How can you be the world champion of Curling when %.0001 of the population in the world has actually attempted it? Or the luge? You are only better than the small sample of those who have tried it.

What would all the world records look like if we indeed found the fastest people in the world.. it could be some random farmer in the middle of nowhere growing corn or rice to support his family.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What would all the world records look like if we indeed found the fastest people in the world.. it could be some random farmer in the middle of nowhere growing corn or rice to support his family.
No. A random farmer doesn't have the means to compete physically with someone who spends all their time running while the farmer has to split a lot more time with other activities which the athlete doesn't have to worry about.

They are world champions because they are the best in the world. You're essentially saying that no one can be world champion of curling because not many people play it. At what point does a sport merit the ability of having the title 'world champion?' You are romanticizing the idea that there are people out there who have so much natural ability that they can compete with those who train for a specific event daily for hours.

Don't you think that a farmer who is that fast is going to try to qualify for these events so that they can support their family better?

Old
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
jwhitesj

Quote:
Ehh, that's not really true.

I am actually surprised on a regular basis that U.S. athletes are able to compete and win on the world stage because of the living conditions enjoyed here vs. a developing nation. It seems like we have a bunch of partying college kids that go out and win golds, where in some areas it seems like the sport is the only thing that matters. I do know our athletes work hard and train relentlessly to be as good as they are, there are just more opportunities to slack off here and there and devote time elsewhere.

I also boggle at the fact that we call these people world champions, when only a very slim fraction of the world's population has attempted these sports. Can you imagine what the landscape would look like if every person was evaluated for which sports they were best at? How can you be the world champion of Curling when %.0001 of the population in the world has actually attempted it? Or the luge? You are only better than the small sample of those who have tried it.

Most olympc athetes take training very seriously, even the US ones. They dedicate their lives to perfecting their bodies to perform at the highest level. They have the best nutrition coaches, physial trainers, and sports scientist helping them to hone their skills. The life of an olympic level athlete is very different from a college kid that parties

Old
08-03-2012, 03:20 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
No. A random farmer doesn't have the means to compete physically with someone who spends all their time running while the farmer has to split a lot more time with other activities which the athlete doesn't have to worry about.

They are world champions because they are the best in the world. You're essentially saying that no one can be world champion of curling because not many people play it. At what point does a sport merit the ability of having the title 'world champion?' You are romanticizing the idea that there are people out there who have so much natural ability that they can compete with those who train for a specific event daily for hours.

Don't you think that a farmer who is that fast is going to try to qualify for these events so that they can support their family better?
I am not saying that you take some guy that has never trained and he will beat someone who has trained their whole life. What I am saying is that you have people all over the world that have never realized their potential or had the opportunity to do so.

Edit: For example, India was mentioned earlier. Don't you think India would have many world champions in any given sport if more people had the opportunity to do so?

Last edited by MadmanSJ: 08-03-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 03:24 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Quote:
Most olympc athetes take training very seriously, even the US ones. They dedicate their lives to perfecting their bodies to perform at the highest level. They have the best nutrition coaches, physial trainers, and sports scientist helping them to hone their skills. The life of an olympic level athlete is very different from a college kid that parties
What I was saying is that when your back is against the wall and you only have one shot at a better life in some circumstances, you will take your training much more seriously.

There have been many studies performed on black vs. white athletes and that there is no evidence that black athletes are genetically predisposed to be better at sports. The difference for many minorities or those in underprivileged communities is that they have fewer opportunities elsewhere so it is kind of a do or die scenario.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:10 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
I'm also pretty sure most championship level NCAA Division 1 athletes don't party that hard (at least, in season). I knew a lot when I was in school, during season and during off-season training camp their hours were pretty well regulated. It's probably why one of the guys I knew is in the Olympics now

Last edited by CrazedZooChimp: 08-03-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 04:13 PM
oyster

State sponsored athletes in a command economy from a country with a lot to prove and a lot less internal regulation (any?) of performance enhancing drugs.

Cuba does extremely well for its size and economy level because promising kids are identified and selected at a very young age and brought to special sports schools where they train for years.

Modern Russia doesn't compare well in the olympics to the powerhouse days of the Soviet Union.

It's easier to produce the best athletes when you have the full resources of the government finding, developing, and employing elite talent in sport.

Closed Thread