HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Top Prospect #6

View Poll Results: Who is the Kings #6 ranked prospect?
Jordan Nolan 8 16.00%
Martin Jones 4 8.00%
Maxim Kitsyn 1 2.00%
Christopher Gibson 1 2.00%
Nicolas Deslauriers 7 14.00%
Jake Muzzin 6 12.00%
Andrew Campbell 3 6.00%
Nick Shore 2 4.00%
Andy Andreoff 2 4.00%
Linden Vey 16 32.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2012, 08:40 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Kings Top Prospect #6

Here are the results thus far:

#1: Tyler Toffoli (75.61%) Runner-up: Andrei Loktionov (15.85%)
#2: Andrei Loktionov (42.59%) Runner-up: Tanner Pearson (27.78%)
#3: Derek Forbort (37.93%) Runner-up: Tanner Pearson (32.76%)
#4: Tanner Pearson (55.32%) Runner-up: Thomas Hickey (14.89%)
#5: Thomas Hickey (39.53%) Runner-up: Linden Vey (20.93%)

Remember to reply to this thread with who you want added for the next round. Ineligible (based on discussion in previous polls) are Dwight King, Jonathan Bernier and Oscar Mollar.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:07 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Voted Jones, add Gravel.

tigermask48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:20 AM
BringTheReign

Voted Muzzin, add Prokhorkin.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Hendrydoso

voted Nolan, add Gravel.

Hendrydoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
KingCanadain1976

voted campbell add Prokhorkin.

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:01 PM
johnjm22

Tough choice between Muzzin and Vey, but I went with Linden. Kind of Surprised Hickey won the last round.

Add Prokhorkin.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Muzzin.

Add Prokhorkin.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:42 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Oy vey.

Add Mersch

TwoForRoughing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Vey

Gravel

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Nolan add Prohorkin.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

5 thru 10-ish are really close. All NHL players though.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
It's a close call between Vey and ND. Voted for Vey.

Add Holloway.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:09 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Kind of Surprised Hickey won the last round.
THis surprised me as well. He's a former 1st rounder that is now 24 and has yet to play an NHL game. I get the argument that he hasn't made the Kings due the depth on the blueline but I think all of Forbort, Muzzin, Gravel, Campbell and Roach have better chances of making the Kings before Hickey does at this point. I think all those others have the inside track just due to size and being mostly defensive D-men which is somtehing the Kings will need in the next few years.

Old
08-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The poll isn't really taking into account players who have the best chance of making the Kings, but the quality of prospect. Hickey is an excellent skater, has high above average vision, and leadership skills. Pedigree aside, he still projects as a top 4 puck moving defenseman.

I'm a little surprised Deslauriers is getting so much praise, I though he took a big step back last year. It wasn't devastating, but I think he has a lot of ground to cover to catch up this season. I think Muzzin has the inside track on him, even though they are different types of defensemen. I personally would have had the order: Toffoli, Loktionov, Pearson, Forbort, Muzzin, Hickey. Then I would have considered prospects like (in no particular order): Jones, Vey, Gibson, Andreoff, Shore, Deslauriers, and Nolan.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:47 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Hickey actually had a very good training camp last year. I felt that the nod could have gone to either VV or TH but can't argue with VV's selection here.

Also consider that Hickey's only had two full seasons in the ahl since he was out with injury for the better part of his first season in manch. Other than that, he led the team in +/- with a +16 last season.

Frankly, I'm surprised that some of you guys are surprised.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 02:53 PM
johnjm22

It's not that I dislike Hickey as a prospect, it's just that we have a lot of guys that I like better.

I think Thomas will eventually be an NHL player, but he'll probably need a change of scenery first.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It's not that I dislike Hickey as a prospect, it's just that we have a lot of guys that I like better.

I think Thomas will eventually be an NHL player, but he'll probably need a change of scenery first.
This! That's why Hickey at 5 is so surprising to me. Even with the season that Hickey had in the AHL this past year I'd certainly put more than 5 prospects in front of him. Heck I'd argue putting 4 d-men prospects in Forbort, Muzzin, Campbell, and Gravel in front of him...

Old
08-02-2012, 05:37 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
THis surprised me as well. He's a former 1st rounder that is now 24 and has yet to play an NHL game. I get the argument that he hasn't made the Kings due the depth on the blueline but I think all of Forbort, Muzzin, Gravel, Campbell and Roach have better chances of making the Kings before Hickey does at this point. I think all those others have the inside track just due to size and being mostly defensive D-men which is somtehing the Kings will need in the next few years.
Hickey is 23 actually. Another factor to consider is he's misses essentially a season due to injury, so in a development standard, he's more like 22, which is a normal age for a defenseman to make the NHL. He's still behind development standards for a 4th overall pick for sure, but he's hardly a bad prospect.

Quote:
This! That's why Hickey at 5 is so surprising to me. Even with the season that Hickey had in the AHL this past year I'd certainly put more than 5 prospects in front of him. Heck I'd argue putting 4 d-men prospects in Forbort, Muzzin, Campbell, and Gravel in front of him...
I'm a Campbell supporter for sure myself, but no way I'd have him ahead of Hickey. I can understand the love for the others, just not Campbell. He'll be an NHLer I think though.

Old
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
King of Sorrow

Voted Muzzin.....

..... add Prokhorkins.....

King of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:32 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Its tough for me to consider Nolan a prospect. I understand the reasoning behind why he is listed as one in this polling but I just don't think of him as one any longer and believe that he has as good of a shot at keeping his slot as his competition. Nolan has proven that he can play and very effectively at the NHL level.

To me a prospect still maintains an unknown quality, his ability to play successfully at the NHL level.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:27 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Hickey is 23 actually. Another factor to consider is he's misses essentially a season due to injury, so in a development standard, he's more like 22, which is a normal age for a defenseman to make the NHL. He's still behind development standards for a 4th overall pick for sure, but he's hardly a bad prospect.
True but he's a Feb birthday so this would be his 24 year old season (I know you see it either way. )

Quote:
I'm a Campbell supporter for sure myself, but no way I'd have him ahead of Hickey. I can understand the love for the others, just not Campbell. He'll be an NHLer I think though.
Really the only reason I'd even try and make the argument for Soupy over Hickey is simply that every year since he was drafted Soupy has improved, while Hickey has struggled with injuries, inconsistency, etc. Campbell was a nightmare his first year i the AHL, but has steadily and rather quietly cut down on bad penalties, worked on getting smarter on the defensive side of his game and improved his point total in the four years he's been in Manchester. He had 19 points and was a +14 this past year, which isn't that much worse than Hickey's 26 points and +16. I' think the two were even paired together for large parts of the season. I honestly think as soon as the 2013-14 season he could be a very good option to replace Greene or Scuderi and possibly sooner in the event of injuries.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:57 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
True but he's a Feb birthday so this would be his 24 year old season (I know you see it either way. )

Really the only reason I'd even try and make the argument for Soupy over Hickey is simply that every year since he was drafted Soupy has improved, while Hickey has struggled with injuries, inconsistency, etc. Campbell was a nightmare his first year i the AHL, but has steadily and rather quietly cut down on bad penalties, worked on getting smarter on the defensive side of his game and improved his point total in the four years he's been in Manchester. He had 19 points and was a +14 this past year, which isn't that much worse than Hickey's 26 points and +16. I' think the two were even paired together for large parts of the season. I honestly think as soon as the 2013-14 season he could be a very good option to replace Greene or Scuderi and possibly sooner in the event of injuries.
Campbell's also older (meaning he's 25 in February btw) and has had 4 full AHL seasons, compared to Hickey's 2+, so arguably the fact Campbell is still behind Hickey should count against him, not for him.

ALl the reasons you listed is why i think Campbell will be an NHL D-man, but I still say Hickey is at the moment a better overall player and has a higher ceiling long-term, which is why i think he's the better prospect.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:01 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Campbell's also older (meaning he's 25 in February btw) and has had 4 full AHL seasons, compared to Hickey's 2+, so arguably the fact Campbell is still behind Hickey should count against him, not for him.

ALl the reasons you listed is why i think Campbell will be an NHL D-man, but I still say Hickey is at the moment a better overall player and has a higher ceiling long-term, which is why i think he's the better prospect.
Fair points all around, that's why I said arguably because I think it could go either way. A quick glance at my list I'm going off of even looks like this;

1.Toffoli
2. Loktionov
3. Forbort
4. Jones
5. Pearson
6. Nolan
7. Vey
8. Hickey
9.Campbell
10. Muzzin

But I'm torn on those bolded 3 since they all seem really close in my eyes. I'd put them all at 8 if I could...

Muzzin has the game that probably translates to the NHL the best, Hickey has the highest upside, and Campbell fills a definite position of need for the Kings so it's a tough call ranking them for me.