HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blackhawks offersheet Eddie Lack

Old
08-03-2012, 09:43 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Blackhawks offersheet Eddie Lack

2 years, 1M per

My thinking is with Luongo and Schneider already signed, the Canucks would have no choice but to let him walk. I watched him a lot as he played for the Wolves last year. "The Stork" looks really good and the Hawks would be the perfect team to give him a great opportunity to play in the NHL and maybe even start.

IMO, this is a no brainer for the Hawks. The Canucks just have to let him walk right on over to us. If Lack can just outperform Emery's .900 SV%, his contract would be more than justified because we're already paying Emery more. Vancouver would not get any compensation.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
2 years, 1M per

My thinking is with Luongo and Schneider already signed, the Canucks would have no choice but to let him walk. I watched him a lot as he played for the Wolves last year. "The Stork" looks really good and the Hawks would be the perfect team to give him a great opportunity to play in the NHL and maybe even start.

IMO, this is a no brainer for the Hawks. The Canucks just have to let him walk right on over to us. If Lack can just outperform Emery's .900 SV%, his contract would be more than justified because we're already paying Emery more. Vancouver would not get any compensation.
Why would we have no choice but to let him walk? We can easily afford to pay him $1m to play in the AHL if need be. Not to mention that if Luongo gets traded then we would use him as our backup.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Kid Dynamite
Pro Scout

Quote:
2 years, 1M per

IMO, this is a no brainer for the Hawks. The Canucks just have to let him walk right on over to us. If Lack can just outperform Emery's .900 SV%, his contract would be more than justified because we're paying Emery more. Vancouver would not get any compensation.
I'm sorry but why exactly wouldn't vancouver match? Worst case scenario they match and owner pays 1 mil for their AHL goalie (is that even that much more than he is getting payed now?) or they trade luongo and he is their back up at 1 mil a season which is pretty cheap.

For Vancouver not to match I think you would be talking at least 2 mil a year if not more...

Kid Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:49 AM
trytobe

even at 2mill per year i hope canucks match - it's a risk but I think canucks fans will agree that Lack's development trajectory has been impressive enough to warrant taking that risk and hoping for the best. worst case scenario Aquilini pays 4mil for a top AHL starter for 2 years - not terrible value.

trytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
digdug41982

Can't they put something in the contract, must play 10 NHL games if healthy?

Old
08-03-2012, 09:53 AM
TOGuy14

Just a question but if someone offersheeted him with a 1-way contract would those terms also be matched when Vancouver matched?

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 658
Quote:
Can't they put something in the contract, must play 10 NHL games if healthy?
Don't think so, I think (but not sure) that the offersheet contracts are the most basic as can be, no perks or anything. After it is signed and done you can negotiate those things like that.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:00 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I can't see Vancouver matching a 2-year, 2M contract to Eddie Lack. That's alot to invest in an unproven goaltender; ballsy.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:00 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Don't think so, I think (but not sure) that the offersheet contracts are the most basic as can be, no perks or anything. After it is signed and done you can negotiate those things like that.
Hmmm, hopefully an expert on the CBA can confirm. Another idea is 500K bonus for every 30 days spent in the minors.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
zytz
lumberjack

I think the CHI offer sheet would have to be approaching or upwards of $3M for VAN to let him walk.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:35 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

This really does not seem like a Bowman-kind of move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post
I think the CHI offer sheet would have to be approaching or upwards of $3M for VAN to let him walk.
To let him walk, probably, but forcing them to match and pay him a high NHL backup salary regardless (something 1.5-2m) would likely further weaken VAN's position in a Luongo trade. Not that that would likely benefit Chicago though.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:57 AM
u2wojo

Seeing that the Hawks don't currently have either their 2nd or 3rd round pick for next year, this is not likely even an option (at a level that might cause the Canucks to consider not matching) without the Hawks making a trade to get back a pick first.

u2wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:06 AM
N o o d l e s

I guess the idea is good, but Vancouver likely matches. Even if they don't, would it be smart management to pay that much for Lack who is unproven? If you say Vancouver would be hesitant to match 2y/$2m for an unproven goalie, is that a smart thing for Chicago to do too?

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:07 AM
TurdFerguson

Chicago can throw a 2 year 1M offer sheet his way without any compensation required in case of signing. It could be a 1 way, but that doesn't mean Lack can't just start in the AHL and stay there all year. It puts Vancouver in a bind if they have an injury to a goaltender and want to bring Lack up; then they are forced to waive him if they want to send him back down during the year of play.

I don't believe you can give him a signing bonus each year because its only a contract of 1M. As far as I know you can't have any poison pill clauses as you'll see in football which make it harder for Vancouver to sign.

This deal would be a mean thing for Chicago to do, but Vancouver matches for sure.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Ched Brosky

Uhh why would the Canucks not match? Lets see lose a top young goalie for nothing or sign him for 2 years at 1M? Not a hard decision for Gillis. The only thing u could do is raise his cap hit by adding a bonus for if he reaches a certain amount of NHL games played but since he is under 35 and has not missed 200 games or whatever the total number of games lost before a player is elgible for a bonus laden contract and he won't be on an ELC. So bonuses can't be added to his contract

Also theres no point for Chicago to do that cuz it raises his cap hit and salary even if it was possible and that bonus wouldn't matter to the Canucks if he plays in the minors as he could never attain it and once its impossible for him to attain it, its taken off his cap hit for that season

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:18 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 768
Quote:
Hmmm, hopefully an expert on the CBA can confirm. Another idea is 500K bonus for every 30 days spent in the minors.
I don't think that would be allowed but that would be hilarious if it were. If Vancouver wanted to be nitpicky they could just bring him up once, every 29 days and then send him back down. Would he have to pass through waivers though?

HANDZ 57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Just a question but if someone offersheeted him with a 1-way contract would those terms also be matched when Vancouver matched?
Would depend on the salary of course, but Vancouver ownership has shown a continual willingness to spend money on AHL contracts for various reasons. I highly doubt the Canucks would let Lack walk to a rival for anything less than a big overpayment on a long term deal.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:22 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Chicago can throw a 2 year 1M offer sheet his way without any compensation required in case of signing. It could be a 1 way, but that doesn't mean Lack can't just start in the AHL and stay there all year. It puts Vancouver in a bind if they have an injury to a goaltender and want to bring Lack up; then they are forced to waive him if they want to send him back down during the year of play.
My understanding of the current (expiring) CBA is that 1-way vs. 2-way contracts affect the player's salary, and that there is a separate set of conditions for waiver eligibility.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
One-way and two-way contracts have no bearing on waiver eligibility, they simply determine the salary at the NHL and AHL level.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:26 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
1-way/2-way deals have nothing to do with waivers.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:30 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
lol yes.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:31 AM
ORYX

Offer sheet him 2 years, 1 Million each, NMC, one way.

Can he get a NMC?

But that would be as stupid on the Chicago GM for doing that, as it would be for Vancouver to match.....

Luongo is waiting for the CBA to be all cleared up. Teams needing to hit the floor or requiring a goalie arent going to trade for him when for all they know, after the CBA is worked out the floor may be adjusted etc.

This move would be pointless.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:35 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post

Can he get a NMC?

But that would be as stupid on the Chicago GM for doing that, as it would be for Vancouver to match.....

Luongo is waiting for the CBA to be all cleared up. Teams needing to hit the floor or requiring a goalie arent going to trade for him when for all they know, after the CBA is worked out the floor may be adjusted etc.

From the Weber offersheet thread, I believe that if there were a NMC/NTC in the offersheet, that particular aspect would not have to be provided by the matching team.

HANDZ 57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:39 AM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post

Can he get a NMC?

I believe he could get a NMC, but it wouldn't take effect until he reached UFA age. So the contract would have to extend that long, and only the UFA portions would be covered.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
I think the thing everyone seems to be forgetting with this hypothetical, is that Chicago would not only be forfeiting draft picks, but committing 2 million dollars to a goaltender who's never played in the NHL. Methinks someone just takes Chi/Van's little feud a little too seriously.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote