HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2012, 11:22 PM
  #626
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah that's the 606. Definitely lacks the omph, but one thing that sets it apart is how malty it is compared to other IPA's. I love it for this reason. Either way if 40oz is a fan of the 606, then definitely try their other stuff. Personally one of my favourite breweries. If you ever have a chance try the hot chocolate stout that they make for Sherbrooke and is sold in single bottles.
I'll have to take a look. Yeah I thought the 606 was good, a bit fruitier than most IPA i regular.


Also I got some Granville Island Robson St. Hefeweizen too. Wasnt a big fan, found it quite banana-ish...

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:32 PM
  #627
kylegilleece
Registered User
 
kylegilleece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
anybody have anything new and interesting to try here in the states?

kylegilleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:40 PM
  #628
cfrancis
Registered User
 
cfrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
In MA. Clown Shoes, Hill Farmstead is starting to distribute to Boston.

Try Tree House, my buddy just started that brewery. Good stuff.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:44 PM
  #629
kylegilleece
Registered User
 
kylegilleece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Country: United States
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
In MA. Clown Shoes, Hill Farmstead is starting to distribute to Boston.

Try Tree House, my buddy just started that brewery. Good stuff.
Much Appreciated!

kylegilleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:56 AM
  #630
n7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge for Nuge View Post
I was recently in Brussels (2 weeks ago), and I experienced the greatness that is the Delirium Cafe. They sell TWO LITRES of this 11% beer there in gigantic mugs. They also have 2000 different beers stored (apparently they lost count, so it's an estimate) along with at least 25+ beers on tap.



Here is a picture I took


Oh and Nocturnum > Tremens IMO
Wowow, wish i'd made it to Brussels on my trip.
Next time...

n7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:14 AM
  #631
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I'll have to take a look. Yeah I thought the 606 was good, a bit fruitier than most IPA i regular.


Also I got some Granville Island Robson St. Hefeweizen too. Wasnt a big fan, found it quite banana-ish...
Hahaha, one of the qualities of any really good Hefeweizen.

If you didn't like that one, don't bother tasting any other Hefe's. The style is dominated by a bannana/clove smell/taste.


Last edited by Reimer: 07-20-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:18 AM
  #632
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
I picked up some Pranqster last night from North Coast Brewing Company.

It's a Belgian Golden Ale that is 7.6% and one that is very smooth for it's ABV. I was super impressed by this beer and recommend it to anyone especially if you like other beers like La Chouffe or Duvel.

Here is their website to check it out if you're interested:

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/beer-Pranqster.htm

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:49 AM
  #633
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Also if people are interested in trying out new beers and tasting them.

Liquor select on the west end(149th st & about 88Ave) do beer tastings about once a month. It costs $10 and they always have 10 beers that they taste. Then at the end if there are any open bottles that still have some beer left you are allowed to grab another sample. Then they will also give you $5 off you purchase that night.

So basically you are paying $0.50 cents per sample that is a reasonable size.

They are doing one tomorrow night called the beers of summer, I recon that you should check it out if you can and if not then check out one of the future ones. Like I said they do them about once a month. I've found it a great way to try beers that I otherwise likely wouldn't have bothered trying or wouldn't have gotten to for quite some time.

Also Liquor select is relatively unknown in the city with places like Sherbrooke and Keg & Cork but they have quite the selection of beer now. I believe they are up to around 600 different beers in their cooler and none of which are from the 4 big commercial companies.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:00 AM
  #634
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Hahaha, one of the qualities of any really good Hefeweizen.

If you didn't like that one, don't bother tasting any other Hefe's. The style is dominated by a bannana/clove smell/taste.
I've enjoy several hefeweizens before, I just though that the Granville Island lacked flavour outside of the banana overtones.

My homebrewin' uncle actually used to make a bananaweizen (i think it was called), which was made with some sort of banana juice/cocktail.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:05 AM
  #635
mooseisloose11
Registered User
 
mooseisloose11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rita MacNeil's roll
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=40oz;52743661]I'll have to take a look. Yeah I thought the 606 was good, a bit fruitier than most IPA i regular.

The 606 is brewed as a English IPA- I think that might be why it didnt have the punch you are prob used to from an American IPA. British Ale Yeast generally produce some fruity esters, especially with warmer fermentation temps whereas the Americans use a cleaner/more neutral Yeast and let the "C" hops dominate.

When I over load on Am. IPAs- I'll switch to British for a month or two. The maltiness will grow on you along with the steeped tea caracter at the end.

Cheers

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
  #636
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseisloose11 View Post
The 606 is brewed as a English IPA- I think that might be why it didnt have the punch you are prob used to from an American IPA. British Ale Yeast generally produce some fruity esters, especially with warmer fermentation temps whereas the Americans use a cleaner/more neutral Yeast and let the "C" hops dominate.

When I over load on Am. IPAs- I'll switch to British for a month or two. The maltiness will grow on you along with the steeped tea caracter at the end.

Cheers
Yeah English IPA's seem a bit more earthier and malty as there hopps aren't as citrusy as american hopps. You make a good point, a good balance of both is likely needed but I probably prefer the American IPA to the European ones.

A great example of both style of IPA's is the Punk IPA and the Hardcore IPA from Brewdog. Two of my personal favorites.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
  #637
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I've enjoy several hefeweizens before, I just though that the Granville Island lacked flavour outside of the banana overtones.

My homebrewin' uncle actually used to make a bananaweizen (i think it was called), which was made with some sort of banana juice/cocktail.
Hmm interesting, not sure I'd be too crazy about actually putting some kind of bannana into a Hefe myself. I just like the natural smells and flavors that come from the yeast strain. Generally the colder you ferment it the more bannana that will come out and less clove and then the warmer you ferment it the more clove and less bannana smell/flavor that will come out in the beer. The Hefe style really is quite the challenging style to brew as just a couple degrees in fermentation temperature can alter the taste significantly.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:27 PM
  #638
the pen is mightier
Registered User
 
the pen is mightier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Just picked up my weste's at Sherbrooke, and they only about half of thier stock is spoken for.

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:30 PM
  #639
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pen is mightier View Post
Just picked up my weste's at Sherbrooke, and they only about half of thier stock is spoken for.
Awesome, I might consider picking up a 2nd pack as well to celar the other 4 beers. But I just don't want all the glasses.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:16 PM
  #640
the pen is mightier
Registered User
 
the pen is mightier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Awesome, I might consider picking up a 2nd pack as well to celar the other 4 beers. But I just don't want all the glasses.
I did the same. Forgot about the glasses, oh well, first world problems, I guess.

On the bright side, it's actually a six pack and two glasses, not a four pack.

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:19 PM
  #641
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pen is mightier View Post
I did the same. Forgot about the glasses, oh well, first world problems, I guess.

On the bright side, it's actually a six pack and two glasses, not a four pack.
Oh really is comes with 6 beers and not 4. Fricken score!!!

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:34 PM
  #642
wingnut83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Oh really is comes with 6 beers and not 4. Fricken score!!!
Was @ Sherbrooke today 2 around 2:00PM and picked up a case, they had a fair bit left when I was there. Does anyone know the best way to store it? I don't have a cellar or cold room, just a storage room in the basement. I would like to pick my spots as to when I drink them special occasions and that kind of thing. Pretty excited to try it.

wingnut83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:23 PM
  #643
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut83 View Post
Was @ Sherbrooke today 2 around 2:00PM and picked up a case, they had a fair bit left when I was there. Does anyone know the best way to store it? I don't have a cellar or cold room, just a storage room in the basement. I would like to pick my spots as to when I drink them special occasions and that kind of thing. Pretty excited to try it.
Does the room have a bare concrete floor? Is it cooler in that room like say around 15 degrees or so? Is it completely dark in there, like no windows?

If you do have that then defintiely store it in there, otherwise I'd just keep it in a fridge.

I just tried one of these last night, fricken awesome beer. Don't even notice the 10.2% ABV, the beer is just so smooth. Not too sweet, not hot at all and doesn't give a harsh kick like an imperial. Overall supe impressed with this beer and worth every penny, wish I would have gotten two cases, might have t go purge one of Sherbrookes.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:00 AM
  #644
wingnut83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Does the room have a bare concrete floor? Is it cooler in that room like say around 15 degrees or so? Is it completely dark in there, like no windows?

If you do have that then definitely store it in there, otherwise I'd just keep it in a fridge.

I just tried one of these last night, fricken awesome beer. Don't even notice the 10.2% ABV, the beer is just so smooth. Not too sweet, not hot at all and doesn't give a harsh kick like an imperial. Overall supe impressed with this beer and worth every penny, wish I would have gotten two cases, might have t go purge one of Sherbrookes.
Much appreciated, I think my storage room has those requirements. I wish I bought another case and I haven't tried one yet. Just based on everything I researched about the beer and some of the info in this thread I know I will regret not buying another pack.

Cheers

wingnut83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 12:46 AM
  #645
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.
 
Gentle Jake Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 133
I've got an interview at a liquor store by my house tomorrow. Hopefully I get the job cause it sounds like everything I like in a job.

Also tried Zywiec today; decent Polish beer.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:54 AM
  #646
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut83 View Post
Much appreciated, I think my storage room has those requirements. I wish I bought another case and I haven't tried one yet. Just based on everything I researched about the beer and some of the info in this thread I know I will regret not buying another pack.

Cheers
I strongly hinted at my girlfriend to go pick me up another one now for a Christmas or birthday gift in the future.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 10:55 AM
  #647
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
I've got an interview at a liquor store by my house tomorrow. Hopefully I get the job cause it sounds like everything I like in a job.

Also tried Zywiec today; decent Polish beer.
That's a beer I've always wanted to try and several times I've had one in my hand, but then I keep looking at the other beers and always end up putting it back down for something else.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:20 PM
  #648
cfrancis
Registered User
 
cfrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Family vacation in Maine this week. Basically I've been in beer heaven. Stops at the Alchemist for Heady Topper, Portsmouth Brewery, Allagash, Hill Farmstead. Also a couple bottle shop shopping means I've been drunk on some very good beer this week, I also am way over my limit for alcohol coming home.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:12 AM
  #649
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Family vacation in Maine this week. Basically I've been in beer heaven. Stops at the Alchemist for Heady Topper, Portsmouth Brewery, Allagash, Hill Farmstead. Also a couple bottle shop shopping means I've been drunk on some very good beer this week, I also am way over my limit for alcohol coming home.
Don't worry about being over your limit, the amount you get charged if they make you pay isn't a whole lot. I brought back a texas mickey of JD that I bought in the states for $70 and when I claimed it they made me go and pay I declared the value of $70 and they charge based on that price and it ended up costing me another $15. So $85 bucks for 3L is a pretty solid deal.

Also this is what I'm thinking of sending back, let me know if you ahve any issues with the following or something that you really want:

-Alley Kat Saisson
-Alley Kat ESB
-Cannery Blackberry Porter and/or Wildfire IPA
-Wildrose(one of foothilz pilz or their belgian dubble)
-Sherbrooke Beer God series(brewed at paddock wood) - currently they have 3 beers, a baltic porter, belgian triple, Hibiscous Belgian Ale
-Yellowhead Premium Lager


Last edited by Reimer: 08-03-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
  #650
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
I made a random stop at Sherbrooke this past week and much to my surprise they had a Glenn and Glenda Sherbrooke sitting on the shelf. For anyone that doesn't know this beer is Alley Kat's Amber's and Old Deuteronmy Barley Wine barrel aged in Glen Breton barrels.

Last I had talked to a brewer at Alley Kat they said they hadn't made any in quite some time and there wasn't any plans since the barrels were being used for the special 1000th beer for Sherbrooke. Last I talked to a person at Sherbrooke they assured me they were sold right out. I'm assuming that they ended up finding a case or 2 in the back of their cave.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.