HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

30 in 30: Small changes for Sabres after missing playoffs

Old
08-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
30 in 30: Small changes for Sabres after missing playoffs

First preview article for 2012-13:

Quote:
30 in 30: Buffalo Sabres
By John Kreiser - NHL.com Columnist

The Buffalo Sabres did a lot of shopping last summer only to come up empty in the Eastern Conference playoff race. So this summer, they opted to pull in the reins.

Owner Terry Pegula, who opened his checkbook last summer to bring in forward Ville Leino and defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, opted not to make any management changes -- meaning Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff, the NHL's longest-running GM-coach duo, will be back this season. So will No. 1 goaltender Ryan Miller, the top four on defense, and the three top scorers: Jason Pominville (73 points), Thomas Vanek (61) and Drew Stafford (50).
Quote:
Instead of going through a second summertime shakeup, Regier opted to bring back most of last season's cast, including late-season acquisition Cody Hodgson, who should slot in as one of the top two centers.

The biggest change involved a trade with the Dallas Stars that moved slick center Derek Roy in exchange for feisty forward Steve Ott and depth defenseman Adam Pardy. Ott brings the kind of grit that hasn't been seen in Buffalo in years. He's a world-class pest who has enough offensive skills to slot in as a third-liner. He's also excellent in the faceoff circle.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=638904

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:54 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I had totally forgotten about Pardy

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I'm starting to think that maybe, due to the toll of d-man injuries last season, every d-man on a one way contract will stay on the roster. I've never seen a team carry nine, but I wonder if they just might. Anyone ever see that before?

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I'm starting to think that maybe, due to the toll of d-man injuries last season, every d-man on a one way contract will stay on the roster. I've never seen a team carry nine, but I wonder if they just might. Anyone ever see that before?
they would only be able to carry 12 forwards...

every road trip would become an issue...

Not gonna happen

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Then I'll go back to hoping Pardy gets traded or buried.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
OkimLom

Usual Analysis I would expect from the NHL site.

This got to me thinking.

Outside of being "soft", I think our next major Flaw is, someone clutch. Who on our team will get that tying goal, or that game winning goal. Who on our team can you confidently say has a good chance of getting "THAT" goal?

IMO, nobody. There are a few guys that might get that goal, but none of them do I feel will score at will. And thats been missing since 2007. I think that is A reason why some fans want that "Big-Move" done. Sure, some of the guys that are mentioned on these boards might not be clutch per say, but maybe some fans feel more confident in that particular player's ability to score a goal when the chips are down(of course I'll have the people that will try and present some stats to show otherwise, but this still won't change my opinion).

Back in 05-06, when they were known as the Cardiac Kids, who were our main Clutch performers? Briere, Drury, possibly Dumont? Of course others stepped up in some games, but I feel this was just the confidence trickling down from D&B and gave players hope and less pressure to get the job done.

I feel our team doesn't have that guy right now. Maybe Ennis can be that guy, or even Hodgson or whomever, but our Rochester core doesn't have anybody that I feel that will win the game because "HE" is out there.

Darcy really hasn't changed that much this season (traded for one guy and signed one that might play a handful of games; Scott: see Andrew Peters 2.0) with the everyday roster. In fact, we have gotten worse offensively in an area where we hurt as is to shore up a bigger problem.

I won't be surprised to see Buffalo in Bottom 10 this year.

Pessimistic Viewpoint:
Strengths: Defensive Depth, Starting Goaltending
Weakness: PROVEN Center Depth, Speed, Backup Goaltending
X-Factor: Myers, Team Physicalness will impact the standing of this team
Prediction: 38-33-11(4OTL 7SOL) 87 Points; 4th in Div - 12th in Conference

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 11:56 AM
MyersMagic57*

Anyone else think that signing leopold ended up being a really good signing. 23 goals in two years. He has been solid for us

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyersMagic57 View Post
Anyone else think that signing leopold ended up being a really good signing. 23 goals in two years. He has been solid for us
It's Leopold. He's the Vanilla ice cream of defenseman. Everyone likes him, he gets the job done, you'd prefer rocky road (Myers), half baked (Erhroff) or mint chip (Sekera).

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote