HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Offseason Thread IV: Vorassic Park

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2012, 10:13 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 500
So Justin Williams has the Stanley Cup in Ventnor today, and will have it at Caesar's later today.

Old
08-02-2012, 10:47 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
100% agreed. The addition of MFL is exactly what this team needed to put them over the top.
You forgot about Bruno

Impenetrable defense now

Old
08-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
There is no doubt in my mind the Flyers are winning the cup this year. Best team ever assembled.
I sense sarcasm.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Have you forgot about the mighty penguins
right, and the best defense in the NHL

Old
08-02-2012, 11:59 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
So Justin Williams has the Stanley Cup in Ventnor today, and will have it at Caesar's later today.
Yup 4 PM I believe. I hear Todd Fedoruk is going to be there too.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
I sense sarcasm.
How dare you

Old
08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Phileeguy
Mira, que linda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Yup 4 PM I believe. I hear Todd Fedoruk is going to be there too.
They give him a job as a security guard?

Old
08-02-2012, 01:58 PM
cheesesteak

Never realized Williams lives in Ventnor in the offseason is his wife from there or something? So this is his day with The Cup? I would've road down to Caesar's if I seen this sooner.

Old
08-02-2012, 06:24 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Huge signing today. Will fooking Ferrell.

Old
08-02-2012, 09:49 PM
FLYERSFAN18

At this point if I am Homer I just stick with Giroux, Couts, B. Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Coburn, and L. Schenn as my core going forward. I wouldn't trade any of these players unless it was for extreme overpayment.

My priorities for upgrading the roster would be as follows.

-Try to acquire a number one d-man or potential number one d-man.
-If that cannot be done in the near future, I would try to add some depth on the defense. Especially with Timonen being toward the end of his career and Meszaros coming off of back surgery although I think he is going to be ok.
-Another big, depth winger.
-A star winger for Giroux.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
At this point if I am Homer I just stick with Giroux, Couts, B. Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Coburn, and L. Schenn as my core going forward. I wouldn't trade any of these players unless it was for extreme overpayment.

My priorities for upgrading the roster would be as follows.

-Try to acquire a number one d-man or potential number one d-man.
-If that cannot be done in the near future, I would try to add some depth on the defense. Especially with Timonen being toward the end of his career and Meszaros coming off of back surgery although I think he is going to be ok.
-Another big, depth winger.
-A star winger for Giroux.
The problem is the Flyers don't have much to trade without dipping into that core to acquire un upgrade on defense or wing. Matt Read is still a question mark for most of the league. As of today, Laughton is considered a John Madden-like defensive center and Nick Cousins an undersized third line pest. The Flyers have no choice but to wait until the deadline and hope these three players produce this year. If Read is on pace for another 20-25 goals, his value solidifies and becomes like a Kris Versteeg. If Cousins continues to increase his speed and production his value goes up to being a 2nd line guy. The key though is Laughton. If he breaks out offensively like the Flyers think, his value goes way up. It shoots thru the roof if he makes the World Juniors and plays well. Two-way centers have tremendous value around the league. A package centered around him then becomes enough to land a top notch defenseman. At that point though is he worth trading?

Old
08-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Prongo
Beer

OEL is getting the Jake Gardiner treatment on the main board. He is still a very young but talented dman, but people on the main board are putting him on a pedestal. Couts for OEL is a fair deal IMO, OEL doesn't "easily" have more value than him.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:47 AM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
OEL is getting the Jake Gardiner treatment on the main board. He is still a very young but talented dman, but people on the main board are putting him on a pedestal. Couts for OEL is a fair deal IMO, OEL doesn't "easily" have more value than him.
People on the main board are underrating Couturier. They look at stats, most of them haven't watched Flyers games.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
People on the main board are underrating Couturier. They look at stats, most of them haven't watched Flyers games.
OEL scored more points than a forward!! HE must be better! Typical HF though, young defenseman has a solid year, next Orr!? Watch for him to struggle next year and people will be saying he was over hyped and over rated.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
OEL scored more points than a forward!! HE must be better! Typical HF though, young defenseman has a solid year, next Orr!? Watch for him to struggle next year and people will be saying he was over hyped and over rated.
OEL is the real deal. He is better than Gardiner. I agree some of their demands are ridiculous, but I get where they are coming from. Just like with Couturier, it's hard to give up a younger player that has the potential to be something great. Not to mention #1 dmen are hard to acquire. Teams do their best to keep them. If they trade him they would have a hard time replacing him. Though I agree they are also undervaluing Couturier. Potential #1 centers aren't that much easier to find.

Old
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Like I said before...

Meszaros was supposed to be the next great number one defenseman back during his Ottawa days.

There's a whole laundry list of NHL guys in their prime now who were once spoken of as such: "Holy crap! This guy's going to be the cornerstone of our defense for the next two decades!"

Then they bottomed out as solid top 4 defensemen.

Forgive me for not caring what some Phoenix fans are saying about OEL.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Like I said before...

Meszaros was supposed to be the next great number one defenseman back during his Ottawa days.

There's a whole laundry list of NHL guys in their prime now who were once spoken of as such: "Holy crap! This guy's going to be the cornerstone of our defense for the next two decades!"

Then they bottomed out as solid top 4 defensemen.

Forgive me for not caring what some Phoenix fans are saying about OEL.
McDonagh is another current sensation. We'll see how long that lasts.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:25 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
McDonagh is another current sensation. We'll see how long that lasts.
Ugh, dont even get me started on McDonagh. Most overrated player in the NHL by far.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Jagr had some high praise for the Flyers:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...w-flyers-stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr
I have never seen a team like the Flyers. Everyone keeps together. Players understand the coach immediately. The year was such that there was nothing to complain about. We played some wonderful hockey. Just remember the series against Pittsburgh in the first round.

08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Ugh, dont even get me started on McDonagh. Most overrated player in the NHL by far.
The McDonagh praise is certainly nauseating, but he is certainly one of the most defensively sound young d-men in the league. Its not like he's one of those offensively flaired d-men who get high praise until their lack of defensive game gets them put on a short leash and their game starts to nosedive. Sadly, I think he's legit.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:41 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
The McDonagh praise is certainly nauseating, but he is certainly one of the most defensively sound young d-men in the league. Its not like he's one of those offensively flaired d-men who get high praise until their lack of defensive game gets them put on a short leash and their game starts to nosedive. Sadly, I think he's legit.
No, I think he is a tremendous defender. It's just that Rags fans will tell you about how he carried the Rangers defense, but then continue on to sing high praise for Staal and Girardi at the same time.

I think McDonagh is great, and he has the potential to be a #1 defender for a very long time-- but he plays in the perfect situation for him to have success. He has an excellent defensive system that he plays in with quality players alongside him. And the whole best goalie in the world thing, too...

I think OEL is much better. I was much more impressed by him than I was with McDonagh this past season.

But McDonagh gets infinite more hype than OEL does.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:57 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
You need a new Avatar and SN.

Pepperoni face is a disgrace.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:31 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
No, I think he is a tremendous defender. It's just that Rags fans will tell you about how he carried the Rangers defense, but then continue on to sing high praise for Staal and Girardi at the same time.

I think McDonagh is great, and he has the potential to be a #1 defender for a very long time-- but he plays in the perfect situation for him to have success. He has an excellent defensive system that he plays in with quality players alongside him. And the whole best goalie in the world thing, too...

I think OEL is much better. I was much more impressed by him than I was with McDonagh this past season.

But McDonagh gets infinite more hype than OEL does
One plays for New York, one plays for Phoenix. That is to be expected

Old
08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

the more i think about it, the more i feel like Danny Briere should be the captain of this team if one is named for this coming season.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
the more i think about it, the more i feel like Danny Briere should be the captain of this team if one is named for this coming season.
If anyone should be captain, then it's mr Timonen, without question, without doubt.

Closed Thread