HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7 million in Cap Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-03-2012, 10:55 AM
  #1
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,759
vCash: 500
7 million in Cap Space

What are the Sabres going to do with 7 million in cap space???

Assumptions:
1. Ennis re-signs at 3.25
2. Pardy and Brennan go to Rochester
3. They aren't signing Doan

Even if 1 or both of Grigs/Girgs make the team... they will still have well over 5 million in cap space...

FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.667m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Tyler Ennis ($3.250m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Nathan Gerbe ($1.450m)
Kevin Porter ($0.538m) / Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Patrick Kaleta ($1.250m)
John Scott ($0.600m) / Matt Ellis ($0.525m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Alexander Sulzer ($0.725m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / Jordan Leopold ($3.000m)
Mike Weber ($0.950m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,142,023; BONUSES: $960,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,057,977

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:57 AM
  #2
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,233
vCash: 500
Buy another fireplace.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:01 AM
  #3
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,061
vCash: 500
Save it and play the long game: hope you have a better season this year and plan on making a big splash in a deeper FA market next year.

Unless it's a one year deal, it doesn't make sense to blow the cash just to blow it. You can hurt your long term maneuverability that way.

EDIT: If you do have the money lying around just waiting to be blown, get creative: renegotiate a nice bonus with an upcoming UFA, like Pommers, conditional on a gentleman's agreement to resign for less.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
  #4
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,675
vCash: 500
Awards:
I could see them wait on the new CBA and not get jammed up by a possible drop in the new cap limit.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:07 AM
  #5
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,089
vCash: 500
Maybe nothing.

If they're not going to sign anyone else (and past Doan, not much left out there), there's no point in spending money just to spend it.

Plus, who knows if that's actually what the cap's going to be. I don't expect a salary rollback, but I don't expect the cap to stay there.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:09 AM
  #6
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Maybe nothing.

If they're not going to sign anyone else (and past Doan, not much left out there), there's no point in spending money just to spend it.

Plus, who knows if that's actually what the cap's going to be. I don't expect a salary rollback, but I don't expect the cap to stay there.
I highly doubt there'll be a drop in the cap without a proportional rollback. The owners aren't just going to negotiate a deal that leaves the wealthiest teams ****ed. Not when the wealthiest teams are simultaneously being asked to do more revenue sharing.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:17 AM
  #7
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
I highly doubt there'll be a drop in the cap without a proportional rollback. The owners aren't just going to negotiate a deal that leaves the wealthiest teams ****ed. Not when the wealthiest teams are simultaneously being asked to do more revenue sharing.
That's why the cap was set at $70.3M for this year, not the $73.8M it should have been.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:20 AM
  #8
Der Jaeger
Registered User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 500
My bet is that Regier is not buying what the league is selling, and waiting on the new CBA.

1.) If the cap stays, he's got ample room to maneuver during the season and into the 2013 free agent market.

2.) If the cap comes down a little, Buffalo's in good shape to profit from some trades.

3.) If the cap comes down a lot, Regier doesn't have to tear apart the team. In Regier's mind, I suppose he thinks that he had a near-perfect team in 2005-2007. Organizational practices and ownership prevented him from keeping the team together. He just got "another Briere" in Ennis, and "another Drury" in Hodgson. There's no way he's jeopardizing that.

Not that I agree, just guessing how he's thinking.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
  #9
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
What are the Sabres going to do with 7 million in cap space???

Assumptions:
1. Ennis re-signs at 3.25
2. Pardy and Brennan go to Rochester
3. They aren't signing Doan

Even if 1 or both of Grigs/Girgs make the team... they will still have well over 5 million in cap space...

FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($7.143m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.667m) / Jason Pominville ($5.300m)
Marcus Foligno ($0.900m) / Tyler Ennis ($3.250m) / Drew Stafford ($4.000m)
Ville Leino ($4.500m) / Steve Ott ($2.950m) / Nathan Gerbe ($1.450m)
Kevin Porter ($0.538m) / Cody McCormick ($1.200m) / Patrick Kaleta ($1.250m)
John Scott ($0.600m) / Matt Ellis ($0.525m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Alexander Sulzer ($0.725m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.020m) / Jordan Leopold ($3.000m)
Mike Weber ($0.950m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Jhonas Enroth ($0.675m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,142,023; BONUSES: $960,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $7,057,977

Isn't Porter a Rochester signing?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
  #10
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
That's why the cap was set at $70.3M for this year, not the $73.8M it should have been.
Not sure how that follows from or relates to rollbacks.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:34 AM
  #11
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,759
vCash: 500
I'd give up a 2nd round pick to offersheet Justin Abdelkadder...

2 yrs / 5 million / 2.5 per

Detroit has plenty of space to match... but they are usually pretty frugal with their bottom 6 guys

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:35 AM
  #12
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Isn't Porter a Rochester signing?
He's a 2 way contract yes...

If Grigs/Girgs don't make the team... he's going to have a shot to claim a 4th line role...

it's not like there is stiff competition right now...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:37 AM
  #13
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,675
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
He's a 2 way contract yes...

If Grigs/Girgs don't make the team... he's going to have a shot to claim a 4th line role...

it's not like there is stiff competition right now...
No one is stiffer than Matt Ellis.


That doesn't sound right.



Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:37 AM
  #14
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Not sure how that follows from or relates to rollbacks.
The NHL set the cap for 2012-13 lower than it normally would have been to account for the CBA uncertainty. Since they obviously want the players to have less of a share, the cap would be lower, and part of the 70M number accounts for that.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:41 AM
  #15
Weird Fish
Registered User
 
Weird Fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: follow where u lead
Country: United States
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
From what I can tell by quickly looking at CapGeek, 1/3 of the league is currently below the cap floor by a combined $15 million (although to be fair, $9 million of that is Phoenix alone, and they may get Doan). Free agency is down to slim pickings, and no one is currently over the cap looking to unload contracts. My guess is that the owners figure that the cap is coming down, and that players' salaries will not come down in proportion.

Plus, if the assertion that the Sabres are a team in transition is true, they're probably not looking to max out their cap space this year. They'll wait to do that until the team is actually a contender.

Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
  #16
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
The NHL set the cap for 2012-13 lower than it normally would have been to account for the CBA uncertainty. Since they obviously want the players to have less of a share, the cap would be lower, and part of the 70M number accounts for that.
Well, yeah, I figure that helps account for the ultimate amount they want to lower the cap, but since teams are now planning budgets using that figure, I doubt they lower it below that figure (unless it's like, $1M) without a rollback to help those teams that spent what they thought they could. The big spenders are influential in this town. Jackie Treehorn draws a lotta water in our little beach community.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
  #17
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Fish View Post
From what I can tell by quickly looking at CapGeek, 1/3 of the league is currently below the cap floor by a combined $15 million (although to be fair, $9 million of that is Phoenix alone, and they may get Doan). Free agency is down to slim pickings, and no one is currently over the cap looking to unload contracts. My guess is that the owners figure that the cap is coming down, and that players' salaries will not come down in proportion.

Plus, if the assertion that the Sabres are a team in transition is true, they're probably not looking to max out their cap space this year. They'll wait to do that until the team is actually a contender.
I'd like to see them use the cap space in the short term. I dont want them giving out long term contracts that eat into the future years we perceive as being contender years...

but our roster kinda sucks right now..

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:47 AM
  #18
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Well, yeah, I figure that helps account for the ultimate amount they want to lower the cap, but since teams are now planning budgets using that figure, I doubt they lower it below that figure (unless it's like, $1M) without a rollback to help those teams that spent what they thought they could. The big spenders are influential in this town. Jackie Treehorn draws a lotta water in our little beach community.
I believe I read at a 50/50 split, the new cap would be around $65M. If that's right, and they get the PA to agree to that, only 5 teams would be above that line as of today, and that's with zero contract rollbacks.

(And +10000 for the Lebowski reference.)

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:10 PM
  #19
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,394
vCash: 500
buy a lot of coke?

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:15 PM
  #20
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,695
vCash: 500
I don't think Buffalo needs to do anything right now. With another 11 mil coming off the books next summer (Ellis, Scott, Regehr, Leopold, Pardy, Sulzer), and only four RFAs to sign (Hodgson, Adam, Weber, Enroth...maybe an extra 3 mil combined) that's 5 mil this summer, 8 mil next summer, and maybe 3-4 mil more from a cap increase.

Regier can expect to have 15-18 mil to work with next summer, while McNabb and Pysyk could be capable replacements for the lost UFA d-men, and one or both of Grigs and Girgs could replace lost UFA forwards. That sounds like a combined cap hit of about 5 mil, leaving 10-13 mil for brand new shiny players and only one or two d-man spots to fill.

I would at least want to sign Alex Edler and for 2013-14 look at a roster like...

Ott-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigorenko-Pominville
Gerbe-Girgensons-Kaleta
McCormick-Adam

Sekera-Myers
Edler-Ehrhoff
McNabb-Pysyk
Weber

That would leave around 4-8 mil to use toward upgrading anywhere else, and trading away or burying players like Adam, McCormick, or anyone else that disappoints. I'd prefer another, preferably tough, shot blocking, and physical d-man (unless Sulzer impresses enough to keep him). Players like Scuderi, Lydman, Erskine, and Kevin Klein could be worth it if one of McNabb or Pysyk can't hold down a 3rd pair assignment.


Last edited by Sabresfansince1980: 08-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
  #21
Husko
Registered User
 
Husko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,386
vCash: 500
I'd love to see them throw a big stupid one-year contract at someone like Arnott.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:20 PM
  #22
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I would at least want to sign Alex Edler and for 2013-14 look at a roster like....
Canucks ain't letting Edler make it to free agency.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:22 PM
  #23
SabresFanNorthPortFL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'd like to see them use the cap space in the short term. I dont want them giving out long term contracts that eat into the future years we perceive as being contender years...

but our roster kinda sucks right now..
Then the only way is to tweak it by trades. Over the last 4 months or so, 3 guys I'm happy with are gone (Roy, Gaustad and Hecht). That's a pretty big culture shock to this team. I wish they'd bring in 1 decent player who is also a character guy. A Recci, Stillman type from a few years ago. As for my reference to hecht, I wish we could sign Hecht from 3-5 years ago but he's not the same guy now, and because of that, I want no part of him.

Personally, I think that is why they are targeting Doan so much. We do not have to compromise the young guys, we have the cap space and he is EXACTLY THE TYPE OF PLAYER WE NEED.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:28 PM
  #24
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Canucks ain't letting Edler make it to free agency.

It's still up to Edler too, and if Buffalo goes up and Vancouver goes down it just might be tempting for him to play with Ehrhoff again.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:36 PM
  #25
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
It's still up to Edler too, and if Buffalo goes up and Vancouver goes down it just might be tempting for him to play with Ehrhoff again.
No indication that he would ever consider leaving the organisation that drafted and developed him. Plus, we got a pair Swedes on our team that he loves to play with.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.