HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7 million in Cap Space

Old
08-03-2012, 01:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
You trade for Getzlaf and Perry at the deadline.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
and Ryan.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
No indication that he would ever consider leaving the organisation that drafted and developed him. Plus, we got a pair Swedes on our team that he loves to play with.
No indication he'd leave until Pegula throws mega bucks at him. Muhuhuhahahahaaa!

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
What are the Sabres going to do with 7 million in cap space???

Assumptions:
1. Ennis re-signs at 3.25
2. Pardy and Brennan go to Rochester
3. They aren't signing Doan

Even if 1 or both of Grigs/Girgs make the team... they will still have well over 5 million in cap space...
I have a feeling that Ennis will get an extension with a cap hit of $2.33M - 2.5M.

I also have a feeling that Regier will sign one of the older UFA centers remaining (Langkow, Arnott, Morrison) for experience and as insurance to back up the Ennis/Hodgson tandem. Such a move will probably happen shortly before training camp opens IMO - he's likely going to wait til then to see if the Doan / trade options disappear.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
No indication he'd leave until Pegula throws mega bucks at him. Muhuhuhahahahaaa!
It's like saying that Vancouver has a chance at Myers when he hits free agency. We can also throw big bucks around, but there's no way we're getting Myers because he's too valuable to the Sabres. Same with Edler; he's the closest thing we have to a #1D in Vancouver.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:57 PM
McTank

Save. For. 2013. UFA.

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
It's like saying that Vancouver has a chance at Myers when he hits free agency. We can also throw big bucks around, but there's no way we're getting Myers because he's too valuable to the Sabres. Same with Edler; he's the closest thing we have to a #1D in Vancouver.
Except it isn't Vancouver(the management)'s decision. It's Edler's. You keep glossing over that. Maybe he thinks the team is going no where. Maybe he's tired of living on the West Coast. Maybe he has magic underpants that tell him what to do? You don't know. We don't know. But to say that "Vancouver won't LET him" is outrageous. UFA's earn the right to sign whatever contract they want to.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:01 PM
McTank

Quote:
If Myers wants to leave we can't stop him though, same as Edler. We hope he'll take our money and stay but there is no guarantee

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Except it isn't Vancouver(the management)'s decision. It's Edler's.
It is Edler's decision.

You seemed to indicate in your previous posts that Edler will leave for: 1) money, or 2) Ehrhoff. #1 is of no concern, unless the Sabres are willing to significantly overpay for him ($7+ million). #2...there's been no indication that he particularly likes playing with Ehrhoff.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
In Regier's mind, I suppose he thinks that he had a near-perfect team in 2005-2007. Organizational practices and ownership prevented him from keeping the team together. He just got "another Briere" in Ennis, and "another Drury" in Hodgson.
While Ennis certainly has similar creativity, size and shiftiness to Briere, comparing Hodgson to Drury is a stretch. Even during Drury's early years, he demonstrated leadership qualities and clutch ability. Hodgson hasn't shown either consistently....yet.

Quote:
Detroit has plenty of space to match... but they are usually pretty frugal with their bottom 6 guys
Yes - but one could argue that their present top 6 guys have diminished to where they'll be relying more on their bottom 6 guys for support than in past seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
I'd love to see them throw a big stupid one-year contract at someone like Arnott.
If Arnott were given the same as last year, that would be "big and stupid" IMO. I suspect that no one will want to pay more than $1.5M - 1.75M for a 38-year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Having lots of cap space doesn't substitute for having the kind of assets needed to trade for both.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:13 PM
barcs

That deficit could prove to be an asset around deadline day!

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
If Arnott were given the same as last year, that would be "big and stupid" IMO. I suspect that no one will want to pay more than $1.5M - 1.75M for a 38-year old.
I would give him that on a 1 year deal as we should have the cap space. He has never recorded less then 30 points in a season over his entire NHL career. He is good at the dot, big (really big) and is great on the forecheck. Not to mention the leadership and experience he could bring into the locker room. He would fit on this team in one of the bottom two C spots whether Grigs/Girgs makes the team or not.

Look at how he helped the Blues last year. There doesn't really seem to be any downside in signing him.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
It is Edler's decision.

You seemed to indicate in your previous posts that Edler will leave for: 1) money, or 2) Ehrhoff. #1 is of no concern, unless the Sabres are willing to significantly overpay for him ($7+ million). #2...there's been no indication that he particularly likes playing with Ehrhoff.
You're talking with two different people now. I mentioned Ehrhoff (as a maybe) and money (as a joke). As for Myers, use a different example because he's under contract for another seven years.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I have a feeling that Ennis will get an extension with a cap hit of $2.33M - 2.5M.

I also have a feeling that Regier will sign one of the older UFA centers remaining (Langkow, Arnott, Morrison) for experience and as insurance to back up the Ennis/Hodgson tandem. Such a move will probably happen shortly before training camp opens IMO - he's likely going to wait til then to see if the Doan / trade options disappear.
depends on years... 1-2 yrs, then you are correct.

if it's long term it's probably closer to 4.

I went with something in the middle

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:31 PM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
I'd love to see them throw a big stupid one-year contract at someone like Arnott.
Why? What if we're looking to make a deal at the deadline? Having some breathing room for our cap is never a bad thing. I don't see why people always feel we need to be right up to the cap before the season start.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:33 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Then the only way is to tweak it by trades. Over the last 4 months or so, 3 guys I'm happy with are gone (Roy, Gaustad and Hecht). That's a pretty big culture shock to this team. I wish they'd bring in 1 decent player who is also a character guy. A Recci, Stillman type from a few years ago. As for my reference to hecht, I wish we could sign Hecht from 3-5 years ago but he's not the same guy now, and because of that, I want no part of him.

Personally, I think that is why they are targeting Doan so much. We do not have to compromise the young guys, we have the cap space and he is EXACTLY THE TYPE OF PLAYER WE NEED.
I would like Arnott also as that type of player.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Why? What if we're looking to make a deal at the deadline? Having some breathing room for our cap is never a bad thing. I don't see why people always feel we need to be right up to the cap before the season start.
you don't need much cap space at the deadline to add players... cap space is banked during the year... and calculated on a daily basis

Old
08-03-2012, 02:36 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Save. For. 2013. UFA.
Odds are that the 2013 UFA crop won't look as good in 9 months as it does today.

I'd save the money rather than spend it just to spend it.

About the only thing I see that the team could use right now is a vet 3rd line C on a one year deal to bridge to ZG being ready in 13/14.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
While Ennis certainly has similar creativity, size and shiftiness to Briere, comparing Hodgson to Drury is a stretch. Even during Drury's early years, he demonstrated leadership qualities and clutch ability. Hodgson hasn't shown either consistently....yet.
Technically correct. More generically: Regier has a dynamic offensive center and a good two-way center. He might think he has the same again.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:45 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Say they went and grabbed Arnott or another vet center. How would the centers play out through the year? Would Arnott be 3rd or 4th? Where would that put Cody McCormick? Or would they just put Ott at the wing?

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Well to be fair, he's only played one season, Vancouver fans raved about his clutch goals and how he would be their future captain one day(now? Likely not... ).

I wouldn't mind trading for Danny B if he wants to come back for Buffalo. He would alleviate a ton of pressure off Ennis and Hodgson, give us some leadership and show the youngin's how to play when the pressure is on. As long as we don't have to give up too much, maybe Philly wants some cap relief??

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Drury Rookie year : 20 goals / 44 points / 3 GW Goals
Hodgson Rookie year : 19 goals / 41 points / 3 GW Goals

Drury Captained a Beanpot Championship team and Won a Hobey Baker
Hodgson Captaind Bramptain in the OHL. He Captained the U18 WJC Gold Medal Team and scored the game winning goal, as captain in a 2-1 game, to help his team to the gold medal game.
He won the OHL AND CHL Player of the year awardS and was the leading scorer at both IHF Tourney's he played. He was distinguished in the OHL Coaches poll as the "Smartest Player", "Hardest Worker", "Best on faceoffs", and "Best defensive forward".

Hodgson to Drury is as good a comparison, OR BETTER, then Ennis to Briere.

I don't want to hear a single thing about skating issues
1. Back injury
2. Drury was nothing special in the skating department either

Old
08-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
You're talking with two different people now. I mentioned Ehrhoff (as a maybe) and money (as a joke). As for Myers, use a different example because he's under contract for another seven years.
Sorry, got you two confused.

What I'm trying to say is, you shouldn't bank on Edler heading off to free agency to get another top 4 defenseman.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

Hodgson Captaind Bramptain in the OHL. He Captained the U18 WJC Gold Medal Team and scored the game winning goal, as captain in a 2-1 game, to help his team to the gold medal game.
He won the OHL AND CHL Player of the year awardS and was the leading scorer at both IHF Tourney's he played. He was distinguished in the OHL Coaches poll as the "Smartest Player", "Hardest Worker", "Best on faceoffs", and "Best defensive forward".

1. Back injury
I think Sabretip's comment was qualified by "yet," and that's the part I agree with. Drury did everything in the comparison at the NHL level, while Hodgson hasn't yet. And I agree with that.

Though I do think that Hodgson will fill Drury's role, and Ennis will fill Briere's role, effectively. The success of Drury and Briere had are now in Regier's schema. He's acquired close resemblences to Briere and Drury. He's not giving them up.... not for Ryan, not for the cap space, etc. He's walked down that road before, and isn't going again if he can help it.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:

1. Back injury
I just keep on thinking of that goal against Boston when I think of Hodgson.