HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks interested in Arnott

Old
08-02-2012, 11:49 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Come playoff time:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Doan Kesler Booth (not sure about winger prefs)
Kassian Arnott/3rd C Hansen
Higgins Lapierre Weise
Raymond (not sure where he fits)
Volpatti

Isnt a bad forward group. Still concerned about that 2nd line.

Edit: Forgot about Kassian.

Last edited by LiquidSnake: 08-03-2012 at 12:14 AM.
LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:50 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
I think your hashtag is more appropriate, drives me up the wall when he uses it when half the time hes wrong. Although a few times hes been right.
At first I was like maybe, but now it's pretty clear he's full of ****.

Old
08-02-2012, 11:58 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Then we just need Weight and Nolan to make the circle complete.
Guerin?

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:12 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
Guerin?
my mistake. How could I forget about him!!!

Old
08-03-2012, 12:15 AM
KISSland

Don't forget the doctor.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:32 AM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
Rumors on Twitter is Vancouver is going to try and sign Arnott and Doan.
any prove?

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:40 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
Guerin?
Might as well bring back Good Ol' JR too?

08-03-2012, 01:59 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Don't forget the doctor.
Dr. Recchi to you.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:42 AM
lush
@jasonlush

Ferraro had some comments on the morning show this morning about Arnott. He said that he's in really awesome shape so I don't think there's any issues there. He was injured late in the season in St. Louis and by their series against LA Arnott was struggling to reach the play and keep up with things on the ice. He ended the season in the press box.

Hopefully there is some transparency there between him and Gillis and the reason for his slumped play was due to injury. Ferraro said it's really up to Arnott as to whether he wants to try and put himself into the top 6 of a crappy team and make some money or go for the cup and take a support role on a team like the Canucks.

As for the dressing room, Ferraro said there were some issues in Nashville really because Arnott was a loud vet and guys like Weber & Suter, etc. were all younger and emerging as leaders still. I don't really know much about that situation but Nashville decided to get younger and Arnott was out of the picture. This type of thing seems to happen though when teams are rebuilding and have leaders who may or may not be long term core players.

Ferraro concluded that there's really no way Arnott would disturb the Canucks room, a guy like that doesn't join a contending team where the dressing room dynamics are clearly working and assert that things will be his way. He just shuts up and tries to fit in and does his job.

EDIT: Ferraro also mentioned that he thinks 2.5 is about what you'd pay the guy for a short term deal, so if we did get him for 1.2 I have to consider that a steal.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
Ferraro had some comments on the morning show this morning about Arnott. He said that he's in really awesome shape so I don't think there's any issues there. He was injured late in the season in St. Louis and by their series against LA Arnott was struggling to reach the play and keep up with things on the ice. He ended the season in the press box.

Hopefully there is some transparency there between him and Gillis and the reason for his slumped play was due to injury. Ferraro said it's really up to Arnott as to whether he wants to try and put himself into the top 6 of a crappy team and make some money or go for the cup and take a support role on a team like the Canucks.

As for the dressing room, Ferraro said there were some issues in Nashville really because Arnott was a loud vet and guys like Weber & Suter, etc. were all younger and emerging as leaders still. I don't really know much about that situation but Nashville decided to get younger and Arnott was out of the picture. This type of thing seems to happen though when teams are rebuilding and have leaders who may or may not be long term core players.

Ferraro concluded that there's really no way Arnott would disturb the Canucks room, a guy like that doesn't join a contending team where the dressing room dynamics are clearly working and assert that things will be his way. He just shuts up and tries to fit in and does his job.

EDIT: Ferraro also mentioned that he thinks 2.5 is about what you'd pay the guy for a short term deal, so if we did get him for 1.2 I have to consider that a steal.
But I thought he was 60 years old, a locker-room cancer and too slow to play in the NHL?

Finally some reason. The guy can still bring a lot to the table for our team in my opinion.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
tantalum

I don't worry about his speed when healthy or anything like that. He's an NHL player to be sure and his size is good.

The only question I have is his defensive play. I don't believe it's a strong suit for him and being slotted into the bottom 6 he's going to need that defensive presence.

Still, for 1.5-2 mil he'd be a good addition and the canucks may actually be able to really roll the lines 5-on-5.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:31 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I agree that it's difficult to conclude how our third line will be designed for the upcoming season with Arnott hypothetically slotting in as our 3 C

In the offensive zone he would battle for pucks down low, try to get open for what I believe is a pretty big shot and then mucking it up in front of the net

He'd also help our second powerplay unit for sure

I wouldn't think he would kill penalties and 5 on 5 whether he would go out against other teams top lines. If he had Hansen and Raymond on his wings I'd think it would be a pretty decent 2-way versatile line given he's got two of our faster and better defensive players

Then again we have the personel to create a line that focuses on defending with Malhotra, Raymond, Hansen, etc.

Then use Arnott with Kassian and Lapierre to try and dominate physically who knows

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Katani Kalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Might as well bring back Good Ol' JR too?

Loved JR in his prime he was simply a player every team would want and that dance was hilarious. From what I recall lights went out and game was delayed and he decided to entertain fans.

Katani Kalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I agree that it's difficult to conclude how our third line will be designed for the upcoming season with Arnott hypothetically slotting in as our 3 C

In the offensive zone he would battle for pucks down low, try to get open for what I believe is a pretty big shot and then mucking it up in front of the net

He'd also help our second powerplay unit for sure

I wouldn't think he would kill penalties and 5 on 5 whether he would go out against other teams top lines. If he had Hansen and Raymond on his wings I'd think it would be a pretty decent 2-way versatile line given he's got two of our faster and better defensive players

Then again we have the personel to create a line that focuses on defending with Malhotra, Raymond, Hansen, etc.

Then use Arnott with Kassian and Lapierre to try and dominate physically who knows
I wouldn't even mind:

Higgins- Arnott- Hansen
Malhotra- Lapierre- Weise/Kassian/Volpatti

Lots of moveable parts in there.

I still have absolutely no idea where Raymond fits... especially with Doan...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I wouldn't even mind:

Higgins- Arnott- Hansen
Malhotra- Lapierre- Weise/Kassian/Volpatti

Lots of moveable parts in there.

I still have absolutely no idea where Raymond fits... especially with Doan...
I would think if Doan is signed, especially at the numbers being rumoured, Raymond would be moved out to make Doan's cap hit a little more palatable.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:27 PM
struckmatch

I mean this in the most non rude way possible, but we really need to ditch Malhotra somehow.

I know it won't happen and that he's a great guy who has been through a lot, personally I couldn't be more with him, professionally as a hockey player though, it's just not going to happen for him.

I don't know how you move him or what you do with him, but that $2.5 million on your 4th line is just brutal. Not to mention the NMC.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Doan
Raymond Arnott Kassian
Hansen Lapierre Higgins

I'd love to see that...Booth sketches me out a little bit...but hopefully a healthy Kesler will prove to be valuable for him. Also don't think we can sign Doan and Arnott without ditching salary, which is where Malhotra comes in, but like I said, doubt it will happen.

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:30 PM
AmazingNuck

I'd actually really like Arnott on this team. He had 17 goals last year, which would be a massive improvement on our 3rd line C from last year. He'll likely have fast wingers to help him on defense, and he'll provide a REAL second line option for the power play. He is not terrible on the dot either.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian/Raymond
Higgins - Arnott - Hansen
Lapierre - Malhotra - Raymond/Kassian

We would finally have three lines that can score goals. With the addition of Garrison, our top 4 should be better as well. Schneider remains a question mark, but hopefully all sides simmer and we can keep Luongo as a safety net until Schneider proves himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
I mean this in the most non rude way possible, but we really need to ditch Malhotra somehow.

I know it won't happen and that he's a great guy who has been through a lot, personally I couldn't be more with him, professionally as a hockey player though, it's just not going to happen for him.

I don't know how you move him or what you do with him, but that $2.5 million on your 4th line is just brutal. Not to mention the NMC.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Doan
Raymond Arnott Kassian
Hansen Lapierre Higgins

I'd love to see that...Booth sketches me out a little bit...but hopefully a healthy Kesler will prove to be valuable for him. Also don't think we can sign Doan and Arnott without ditching salary, which is where Malhotra comes in, but like I said, doubt it will happen.
I don't think the Canucks will get rid of Manny. I believe Manny will even be retained by the Canucks at the end of his contract. He had a bad year last year. A lot of players have bad years. Considering Manny's injury and the fact that he couldn't really have a full off-season training regiment, I'd like to believe that Manny will do a lot better next year.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post

I don't think the Canucks will get rid of Manny. I believe Manny will even be retained by the Canucks at the end of his contract. He had a bad year last year. A lot of players have bad years. Considering Manny's injury and the fact that he couldn't really have a full off-season training regiment, I'd like to believe that Manny will do a lot better next year.
This.

Even in an off year coming off of a career threatening injury, with no training camp, he performed at the same level as Paul Gaustad, who returned a 1st at the deadline and has subsequently resigned for 3 years at a cap hit of $3.25/yr.

This is evidence that Malhotra is not overpaid, he's paid fairly, and with an off-season, I expect a better year. I still think his lack of vision will be a problem offensively, but he'll have the fitness to handle the tough defensive matchups and PK ice time.

Raymond + Ballard would be my votes to move before Manny.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:46 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Manny also has the most brutal starts of just about anyone there is. I can't remember exactly but wasn't it like 85% d-zone starts?

He is also still very good at what he does: faceoffs.

Sure he isn't worth $2.5 mil, but Raymond is more redundant than Manny. Need guys who win faceoffs that efficiently, but small quick 15-20 goal scorers who can barely make a 2nd line are a dime-a-dozen.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
I don't worry about his speed when healthy or anything like that. He's an NHL player to be sure and his size is good.

The only question I have is his defensive play. I don't believe it's a strong suit for him and being slotted into the bottom 6 he's going to need that defensive presence.

Still, for 1.5-2 mil he'd be a good addition and the canucks may actually be able to really roll the lines 5-on-5.
I think they want a 3C to take advantage of a soft matchup and create offense. This runs counter to what some have said on here about needing a strong defensive C in the bottom 6 to give the 2nd line softer ice... If that were the case, MG would have pursued McClement, as he is perfectly suited to do that, but didn't... No, I think they realize that the 3C needs to bring more offensive capability to the team, despite that option getting weaker minutes to play at ES.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:50 PM
nucksfan8888

I would hope the Arnott is just one of many backup plans that Mike Gillis has in case Doan doesn't sign.

Scenario 1

Ideally we get Doan and have have traditonal top 6 scorers and bottom 6 centered by Lappierre/Malhotra/+ possibly another lowerend UFA/trade for a defensive/project center(Jochen Hecht/Gilbert Brule/Daymand Lankow) and Schroeder fills in for Kesler between Doan and Booth

Scenario 2
If we don't get Doan, you go for a center more in the 2B mold. Someone who is decent defensively and who can get the puck to our plethora of support wingers on the second unit powerplay(a opposite of kesler offensively would be the best fit) this would most likely have to be through the Loungo trade(or seperate trade) though as there is no players of this description left in UFA. Also in addition to this 2B center you sign another support winger, someone either with size or playmaking ability or both(Ales Kotalik?) to push Raymond down to the 4th line so that it consists of Raymond/Malhotra/Lappierre/Kassian on any given night.

Scenario 3
I believe this is where Arnott should come into play; where no 2B center is aquired and niether is Doan so we sign Arnott to battle with Schroeder for the #2 center spot until kesler is back, and once he was, Arnott would slot in as #3 center unless Schroeder outplayed him by a significant margin.

In all 3 plans Schroeder is first call up in the event of injury to the top 6 once Kesler is back

nucksfan8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:12 PM
crazyforhockey

The thing i like about Arnott beside his size and tough style of play.....

72 gms 17-17=34pts

38gms vs "playoff teams" 7-12=19pts

34gms vs nonplayoff teams 10-5=15pts

alittle bit more productive vs those tougher teams

crazyforhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Nick the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Come playoff time:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Doan Kesler Booth (not sure about winger prefs)
Kassian Arnott/3rd C Hansen
Higgins Lapierre Weise
Raymond (not sure where he fits)
Volpatti

Isnt a bad forward group. Still concerned about that 2nd line.

Edit: Forgot about Kassian.

How are you concerned about that 2nd line??? I LOVE it. There's speed grit and a solid scoring touch. Maybe not a top of creativity but, dude, that is a good second line.

Nick the Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:29 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
But I thought he was 60 years old, a locker-room cancer and too slow to play in the NHL?

Finally some reason. The guy can still bring a lot to the table for our team in my opinion.
Too many of us are so ****ing scared of bringing in an aging star because of Sundin and Demitra (and by the way Sundin was great for us after his first 10 games, which were terrible, just in case no one noticed).

If we can bring in Arnott for one season at 1.5, its literally a cant-lose.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Too many of us are so ****ing scared of bringing in an aging star because of Sundin and Demitra (and by the way Sundin was great for us after his first 10 games, which were terrible, just in case no one noticed).

If we can bring in Arnott for one season at 1.5, its literally a cant-lose.
Why would we be scared when Sundin and Demitra actually did well for us? Arnott isn't a great comparable to either of them. Demitra put up 53 points In his only full season with us and Sundin had 28 in 41 games and was a PPG player in the playoffs. Arnott has put up 3rd line numbers the last couple seasons and is extremely slow.

ephmrl is online now   Reply With Quote