HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie/Player Fight

Old
08-03-2012, 05:19 AM
Thepandamancan

vCash: 500
Goalie/Player Fight

So in my game tonight, I finally got my first penalty and almost fight as a goalie.

All game long, this one player (who is actually a good friend) got away with boarding one of my players, intentionally running into me and dislodging the net, and punched me in the face after I made a save and prevented a rebound (all in front of the referee nonetheless).

He was screening me constantly during the game and after all of that and my teammates not clearing him, I decided to step up for myself so I shoved him hard and he falls down. The shot came so I stopped it. Next thing I know he gets up and rips the mask off my face and tries to shove my head down. I get up, drop the gloves, and I'm ready to fight but we get separated. We get 2 minutes each and that's that. After the game it's hand shakes, had a good laugh about it, and some beers.

After the game I was talking to people who run the rink (they're long time refs also) and they said he should have been tossed and added that was classless/bush league to go for the mask first. My other friend however, who is a self proclaimed goalie hater, thinks this just another case of a goalie who dishes it out but don't think they should receive. I got plenty that game before the cross check and I was ready to take and give more.

I know both parties are guilty, but is either one of us more wrong? Just curious if anyone else been in/seen this situation?

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:19 AM
hockeymass

Sounds like the guys you play with need to settle the hell down. I've never seen anything like that happen in a beer league game.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Gino 14

Your teammates are pretty lame for letting him get away with that. Also, your "friend" needs help if what you say is true. He's way past the point of playing hard, he's going to injure someone.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:26 AM
hockeymass

What level is this? Sounds pretty plugtacular.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
So in my game tonight, I finally got my first penalty and almost fight as a goalie.

All game long, this one player (who is actually a good friend) got away with boarding one of my players, intentionally running into me and dislodging the net, and punched me in the face after I made a save and prevented a rebound (all in front of the referee nonetheless).

He was screening me constantly during the game and after all of that and my teammates not clearing him, I decided to step up for myself so I shoved him hard and he falls down. The shot came so I stopped it. Next thing I know he gets up and rips the mask off my face and tries to shove my head down. I get up, drop the gloves, and I'm ready to fight but we get separated. We get 2 minutes each and that's that. After the game it's hand shakes, had a good laugh about it, and some beers.

After the game I was talking to people who run the rink (they're long time refs also) and they said he should have been tossed and added that was classless/bush league to go for the mask first. My other friend however, who is a self proclaimed goalie hater, thinks this just another case of a goalie who dishes it out but don't think they should receive. I got plenty that game before the cross check and I was ready to take and give more.

I know both parties are guilty, but is either one of us more wrong? Just curious if anyone else been in/seen this situation?
You sure bout that?

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:19 PM
CoopALoop

As I posted on the GSBB:

Quote:
Trust me, goalie fights are satisfying.

Good for you for standing up for yourself. I've never had an issue doing so since I've started tending. I used to paly defence for years, so the scrum in front of the net and the aftermath that comes with a few shoves isn't foreign to me.

If your defence isn't clearing the crease, you have to do it yourself.

Also (this isn't advised), I love my crease, it is mine and there is no other like it. Do not enter my crease unless you want it. I am prepared to defend my crease from imposters. I don't let too many players even step into my crease if I can help it.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Thepandamancan

It's the beginner league so my guys didn't step up because they don't really know any better. I'm the veteran on the team, which is why they made me captain so in a way I guess it was my job to stand up for the guys.

The worst part about it is that it's a beginner league and the refs weren't the most experienced. One is completely new and was actually talking to someone and turned away from the play and completely missed it when I got run into the net.

Yes, he's a friend...but he's an older player who knew he could get away with stuff like that because he knew my guys were young and inexperienced. He knew the right times to do stuff because he's a ref too (and one of the better ones in the other leagues actually). Finally I had enough and had to teach him a lesson...lesson heard loud and clear.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Stickchecked

This whole story becomes more and more absurd.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
pfloyd75

In my league, if my D doesn't clear players from my crease, I move them myself. Even after moving people WELL out of my way, nobody has ever taken it as more than a goalie looking out for himself and no feathers were ever ruffled. I think I've only gotten called for a penalty once when doing this and thats only because the player I gave a shove to lost his balance and ended up in one of the face off circles (looked worse than it was).

If, for some oddball reason, something like what you described happened in the league I play in- the other guy likely would have taken several penalties for boarding/roughing/goaltender interference and would have been tossed if he ripped your mask off.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Thepandamancan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
This whole story becomes more and more absurd.
Yeah, I know...a goalie as a captain? Wha?

Even more absurd...when my friend isn't playing out and being a nuisance...he's a goalie.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfloyd75 View Post
In my league, if my D doesn't clear players from my crease, I move them myself. Even after moving people WELL out of my way, nobody has ever taken it as more than a goalie looking out for himself and no feathers were ever ruffled. I think I've only gotten called for a penalty once when doing this and thats only because the player I gave a shove to lost his balance and ended up in one of the face off circles (looked worse than it was).
I never begrudge a goalie for trying to shove me out of the way, especially when I'm sticking my butt in his face. As long as he's not viciously cross checking me in the back, it's all good.

It's generally not hard to move my 145 pound frame out of the way anyways.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

The whole thing sounds nuts.
You're still buds even though he ripped your mask off in a rec game?

Sounds pretty gongshow for a beer league game. If someone even removes their mitts in my league, it's an auto ejection, suspension and fine.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Fanned On It

First of all.... boarding in a no-check beer league game? BEGINNER LEAGUE nonetheless?! Who the hell does this guy think he is, and where does he think he's playing? Your "friend" literally "punched" you in the face after you made a save? What kind of craply officiated league do you play in? If a guy ever punched a goalie in the face in my league they would be thrown out of the game immediately... ESPECIALLY in the D-League! And last but not least, you "friend" runs you intentionally? Dislodging the net in the process? Are you kidding me?

Either you are severely exaggerating this or you don't know what the definition of a "friend" is. I can't believe this guy got away with all of this in a beginner adult league game. I would've been hounding the refs to wake the eff up. This guy you're talking about sounds like a complete insane-o and it sounds like he's going to end up hurting someone. Personally, I would see him after the game and give him a piece of my mind and whatever happens after that... happens.

The fact that he's a ref himself makes it even worse. What a complete D-bag.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote