HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013

Old
08-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromeo87 View Post
I like most of it..
I still prefer Semin on the LW with his right shot.
Jussi, to me, is a top 6 guy. I think he and Skinner have good chemistry.
Brent's faceoff numbers were down last year, but I'm pretty sure he has a history of being pretty good in circle. I wouldn't move him to wing.
I think they will continue to use LaRose on the PK.
Jussi is a top 6. But think about him on the 3rd. Uneven match up scoring threat.

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMardigan View Post
Jussi is a top 6. But think about him on the 3rd. Uneven match up scoring threat.
I do think he could abuse 3rd pair defenders. What would the line be tho?

Jussi//Welsh//LaRose? Or would Jussi be the C?

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I still prefer either Jussi or Tlusty with Eric Staal and Semin because I like their playmaking ability which should complement Eric and Semin very well.

I also like Skinner-J. Staal-Ruutu. In addition to his skill, vision and tenacity, one thing that Skinner does really well is putting himself in the right spot to score. He has an uncanny knack for predicting where the puck will end up and then quickly turning it into a scoring chance. I think they physical nature of J. Staal and Ruutu will complement that very well and Skinner will be able to take advantage of that.

I'm sure the lines will be shuffled quite a bit until Muller figures out what he wants and sticks LaRose on the top line

Jussi may have to end up being the 3C if Welsh, Nash or Dalpe doesn't work out.

Last edited by Boom Boom Anton: 08-03-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Jussi may have to end up being the 3C if Welsh, Nash or Dalpe doesn't work out.
Tlusty//S12//Semin
Skinner//S11//Ruutu
Bowman//Jussi//LaRose
Nodl//Brent//Dwyer

That's fairly solid, and if Bowman can't cut it, I'm sure it can't be rocket applaiances to get a 3rd line winger who can score a bit and maybe hit.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I know it seems like every poster has a few of these guys, but I honestly don't see the draw with Andreas Nodl. He seems like a failed scoring prospect with decent size and hands that is pretty nondescript at everything else hockey related. In honesty, he reminds me of Drayson Bowman sans upside. The guy has 15 goals in 175 NHL games, hits nothing, and his inclusion in the lineup in these mockups has been pretty much a requirement.

What am I missing that everybody else loves about him?

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:19 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
When you find out, let me know, because I don't see it either. He doesn't need to be anything more than a 4th liner. If they do get a big body, it wouldn't hurt me to see a bottom 4 of Welsh, Brent, New guy and Dwyer.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Rad ChaLose

Long time lurker here...

It's been said before...but I'd like to split up the Staals for 1C 2C for the long run. However, if we ever need to mix it up, I think:

Semin/Staal/Staal
Skinns & Finns

..would be very exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnBpDKFGOiE

I was at this game, and I nearly had to change pants after the 53/36 give and go.

Rad ChaLose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I don't think most people think that much of Nodl as most of the line-ups have him stuck on the 4th line. I think he can be an ok 4th liner (unlike Stewart) so he gets put there because right now, there aren't many obvious options (and he's under contract for the year).

Personally, I don't see much in Nodl and I'm kind of ambivalent about him. If we don't get anyone better, then I'm fine with him on the 4th line for 1 more year. I would prefer the Canes have a more physical, larger 4th line so if that happens and he's gone, I'm fine with that.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
His name sounds like noodle?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
dammit100

Nodl is a guy who, no matter how you feel about him, can lace up his skates and take up some minutes. He's not gonna be a 50 goal scorer, but you can count on him to be average in height and weight, while at the same time, wear a visor.

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Hurricanes Depth Chart

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/depthchart.htm?dcid=12

Lines projected on the site:

E Staal / J Staal / Semin
Jussi / Ruutu / Skinner
Tlusty / Welsh / Dwyer
Stewart / Brent / LaRose
???? / ????? / Nodl

Gleason / Corvo
Harrison / Faulk
Pitkanen / McBain

Ward
Boucher
Peters

Old
08-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Nodl didn't strike me as a scoring forward, but if that's so then all the better. He's perfect for the hurricanes depth when we roll with an energy line.

Nodl isn't a rough and tumble grinder, but we've never needed him to fill that kind of role. If we ever needed to build a line like that, I think Nodl would fit better than Brent and even larose and Dwyer. His defensive vision and stick work would compensate for any open ice checks laid by other players.

We shouldnt be ditching Nodl while he still has room to grow. We'll see how well these players compete for another contract.

Yes We Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
Nodl didn't strike me as a scoring forward, but if that's so then all the better. He's perfect for the hurricanes depth when we roll with an energy line.

Nodl isn't a rough and tumble grinder, but we've never needed him to fill that kind of role. If we ever needed to build a line like that, I think Nodl would fit better than Brent and even larose and Dwyer. His defensive vision and stick work would compensate for any open ice checks laid by other players.

We shouldnt be ditching Nodl while he still has room to grow. We'll see how well these players compete for another contract.
He is very good with defensive vision and stick work to keep people from getting the puck.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Big Daddy Cane
#UndoNewStorm

Tlusty – E. Staal – Semin
Jokinen – J. Staal – LaRose
Skinner – Welsh – Ruutu
Bowman – Brent – Dwyer
Nodl/Stewart

Pitkanen – McBain
Gleason – Corvo
Harrison – Faulk
Sanguinetti– Murphy (?)

Ward
Boucher/Peters

I’m a fan of a more balanced, 3-line attack rather than a stacked Top 6 and a weaker 3rd line. Because of the chemistry he had with E. Staal this past season and his two-way play, I think Tlusty would be a solid 3rd wheel next to the aforementioned Staal and Semin.

Almost everyone that has the two Staals on separate lines has Skinner penciled in next to J. Staal. I think it would work out well enough, but I wonder if having them on separate lines may be a better option. J. Staal is a great two-way player; a former Selke nominee. The staff should take advantage of his abilities and send him out there against the opposition’s best forward(s) every game. I wouldn’t feel particularly comfortable sending Skinner out there alongside him in that role at this point. I wouldn’t call Jokinen or LaRose great defensive forwards or anything, but I thought they both looked solid enough in a “shutdown” role next to Sutter at various points in the past. Offensively, I think the line could be quite effective, so long as Jussi bounces back. J. Staal would benefit from Jokinen’s playmaking ability and LaRose’s grinder-esque playing style.

The great benefit of separating Skinner and J. Staal is that it frees up Jeffrey to face weaker match-ups and be in more offensive situations. It creates a real match-up problem for the opposition. Welsh would likewise benefit from being in those situations next to two linemates that have chemistry. Now, I’m penciling in Welsh as the 3C for now, but maybe it’s Dalpe that has a strong camp and establishes himself as a NHL player. Maybe Ruutu slides over to 3C and its Boychuk who finally proves that he belongs. Maybe it’s Stewart or Bowman or Nodl that grabs the 3rd spot on that line. There are lots of options.

The 4th line is smaller and softer than you would want, but it would be solid defensively and able to possess the puck the well. As far as the defense goes, I just went with the pairs with proven chemistry.

Big Daddy Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
I know it seems like every poster has a few of these guys, but I honestly don't see the draw with Andreas Nodl. He seems like a failed scoring prospect with decent size and hands that is pretty nondescript at everything else hockey related. In honesty, he reminds me of Drayson Bowman sans upside. The guy has 15 goals in 175 NHL games, hits nothing, and his inclusion in the lineup in these mockups has been pretty much a requirement.

I don't know, I don't love him myself. He is good defensively, but being known as a good defensive fourth-liner usually just means that you suck at offense.

He is, however, at least a known commodity and better than Dwyer/Stewart/etc.

If I had my little way the fourth line would be Brent, Sutter and Bowman, in whatever configuration works best.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Roboturner913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
Tlusty – E. Staal – Semin
Jokinen – J. Staal – LaRose
Skinner – Welsh – Ruutu
Bowman – Brent – Dwyer
Nodl/Stewart
I don't hate the "spread em out" concept, but if you're going to do something like that, why not keep the Skins-Finns together on the 3rd line and reshuffle the top two lines a bit:

Passenger X-E. Staal-Semin
Tlusty-J. Staal-LaRose
Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu

Passenger X could be Bowman, Welsh, Dalpe - whoever steps up and earns a spot in preseason. EStaal and Semin should push the flow of play enough that a halfway decent player can be productive.

Tlusty and LaRose are both solid 2-way presences, along with JStaal this line could score a bit and play crucial defensive shifts. I firmly believe JStaal is the kind of player capable of elevating the play of his linemates and despite the jokes, it's not like LaRose is dogmeat.

Skinner-Jokinen-Ruutu is your ace in the hole, take advantage of matchups and catch teams off-guard. Lots of teams will have no answer for this group because they are throwing their top defensive centers at the EStaal line and the JStaal line provides just enough offense where they can't relax there either.

You'd have to roll all 3 lines pretty evenly and the fourth line would be nothing more than an occasional shift and PK duties, but I think it could work.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
There are a lot of good suggestions in the previous pages....I think one of the things we will see is that Semin needs a good passer to play with. I think a good combo is to keep him with Jokinen. Who the center will be is up for discussion, but I think Jokinen is the good match as a solid passer to play with Semin.

Thoughts?

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:27 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I also like the idea of a more balanced line-up:

Tlusty / E. Staal / Semin
Skinner / J. Staal / LaRose
Welsh / Jokinen / Ruutu
Nodl / Brent / Dwyer

Then, Muller can load up the powerplay forward lines:

E. Staal / J. Staal / Semin
Skinner / Jokinen / Ruutu

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:34 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

After this offseason, if we still use LaRose in the top 6, we're definitely doing something wrong. The only acceptable justification for having him log any significant minutes there is if one or two our top 6 guys are injured. Sheltering Skinner from tough match ups and having a "shutdown" winger for Jordan don't really seem to be adequate justifications.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
After this offseason, if we still use LaRose in the top 6, we're definitely doing something wrong. The only acceptable justification for having him log any significant minutes there is if one or two our top 6 guys are injured. Sheltering Skinner from tough match ups and having a "shutdown" winger for Jordan don't really seem to be adequate justifications.
I second this. However, keeping Skinner away from the oppenents top line is a good idea IMO. That's how I believe we should shelter Skinner while he's young

Old
08-03-2012, 10:23 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Chad wound up in the top six for long stretches in 07-08 even when Stillman, Cole, Williams, Whitney and Walker were all healthy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the second line on opening night.

Putting Chad there allows us to roll three lines capable of scoring. I really like JustJoe2k5's lines.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:35 PM
bb99

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Like Our Group View Post
Chad wound up in the top six for long stretches in 07-08 even when Stillman, Cole, Williams, Whitney and Walker were all healthy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the second line on opening night.

Putting Chad there allows us to roll three lines capable of scoring. I really like JustJoe2k5's lines.
Except the PP lines..only line Ruutu should be on is the one for the pisser or pizza.

bb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:04 AM
NorthStar4Canes

I like the Welsh/Jokinen/Ruutu for a 3rd line.

Jokinen there, because even though he can't find the net he's been defensively responsible, can playmake, and as one of the better faceoff guys it makes more sense to keep that value at C.

Ruutu, because with the options available there's no reason to pencil him into the Top 6 simply because he's way overpaid. And if he shows up for the first part of the season unlike last year he and Jokinen make for a great 2/3rds of a 3rd line threat where you can experiment on the other wing, or move Welsh to C.

...... / EStall / Semin
Skinner /JStaal /.....
..... / Jokinen / Ruutu

seems like a good place to begin and let chemistry and what works decide where Tlusty, LaRose, Bowman, Welsh, etc. fit. That's great scoring depth if it does.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
I like the Welsh/Jokinen/Ruutu for a 3rd line.

...... / EStall / Semin
Skinner /JStaal /.....
..... / Jokinen / Ruutu

seems like a good place to begin and let chemistry and what works decide where Tlusty, LaRose, Bowman, Welsh, etc. fit. That's great scoring depth if it does.
Those 2nd/3rd line tweeners provide grit and fill each void respectively (i.e. tlusty:playmaking, larose:net presence, etc). We are used to constant switching of the lineup, so this could very well be a realistic setup of 1a-1b-1c for the top 9.

As an advocate for skinner-jussi, I have to ask why is a top 6 forward on a steal of a contract less deserant of icetime than the overpaid ruutu?

Old
08-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
Those 2nd/3rd line tweeners provide grit and fill each void respectively (i.e. tlusty:playmaking, larose:net presence, etc). We are used to constant switching of the lineup, so this could very well be a realistic setup of 1a-1b-1c for the top 9.

As an advocate for skinner-jussi, I have to ask why is a top 6 forward on a steal of a contract less deserant of icetime than the overpaid ruutu?
EDIT: it's likely that these bevy of utility forwards will rotate on Erics wing of PK#2, while Jordan and semin kill most the penalties.