HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

make the ice rinks smaller in europe

Old
07-18-2012, 11:54 AM
jekoh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
No turkey in Nagano, they played well just not well enough and were stoned by a top of his game Hasek and it took a nail biting shootout at that to keep them out of the championship game..

Nagano is a myth.They were a stones throw away from a gold medal game.
Canada didn't beat anybody of note. Yeah they beat the US and Sweden, but everybody else did that too.

Fourth place is exactly where this team deserved to end up, there is absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:09 PM
espo*

Lol, they didn't beat anyone of note?................Sweden and the u.s are always of note in a best on best hockey tournament. The U.S actually went into the tourney as the favourite on a lot of peoples lists and Sweden, well you being a Finn should know better then calling them a team of no account.

Where did I suggest we deserved a better fate? we finished fourth so that's where we deserved to end up,i'm not like most Euro fans who slush off fourth place finishes due to refs or where the tourney is played.But to say we laid a stinking turkey is pure ********, we were a bags hair away from the gold medal game.

That is far from being a Turkey.

Now Torino, that was a turkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Canada didn't beat anybody of note. Yeah they beat the US and Sweden, but everybody else did that too.

Fourth place is exactly where this team deserved to end up, there is absolutely nothing to suggest otherwise.

Last edited by espo*: 07-18-2012 at 09:40 PM.
espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
yeah, the ideal rink is somewhere between the two.

I like the fact N.A. and Euro rinks are different though, and i fear smaller rinks might affect the kind of players Euro leagues and juniors develop.

So if it was up to me, we would have slightly larger NHL rinks, narrower Euro rinks, but Euro rinks would still be bigger than the NHL rinks.
European and NHL rinks are identical in length - 200 feet. European rinks are 15 feet wider. To my knowledge, Europeans are not dissatisfied with the size of their rinks. I think it's primarily Canadian posters who are offended because the Europeans have not chosen to emulate them. Apparently, it does not strike them as being arrogant to insist that others copy them.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:55 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
European and NHL rinks are identical in length - 200 feet. European rinks are 15 feet wider. To my knowledge, Europeans are not dissatisfied with the size of their rinks. I think it's primarily Canadian posters who are offended because the Europeans have not chosen to emulate them. Apparently, it does not strike them as being arrogant to insist that others copy them.

We all agree that the NHL is the league with the best players in the world. Therefore they logically think that we should aim at adjusting to fit these teams ... since all players in the world want to play in that league !

It somewhere makes sense.

Yet what also makes sense is that we enjoy the hockey as it is played in our countries. I really enjoy a game in NLA (swiss league) ... it is much speedier than the NHL. And i prefer by far this then the eternal battles against the band.

We are a world ... some are black, some white and some yellow ! why shouldn't some have big hockey rinks and others small ?

torero is offline   Reply With Quote