HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

7 million in Cap Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
  #51
Jame
Dream '16
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 32,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I think Sabretip's comment was qualified by "yet," and that's the part I agree with. Drury did everything in the comparison at the NHL level, while Hodgson hasn't yet. And I agree with that.
Drury didn't do anything in his rookie year that Hodgson didn't do. And they were both celebrated Captains in their amateur days.

How is Ennis closer to being Briere then??? Has Ennis had a 90 point season? a 30 goal season?

What makes Ennis closer to Briere if the parameters are "yet" ???

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:19 PM
  #52
Jame
Dream '16
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 32,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I just keep on thinking of that goal against Boston when I think of Hodgson.
The slapper he blew by Thomas when he was with the Canucks?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
  #53
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The slapper he blew by Thomas when he was with the Canucks?
Yes

That was beautiful. I keep joking with my friends that it broke Tim Thomas.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:25 PM
  #54
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
That's why the cap was set at $70.3M for this year, not the $73.8M it should have been.
What are you talking about?

The upper limit is exactly where it's supposed to be.
They can't just arbitrarily change it; it's based on a formula.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:27 PM
  #55
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,325
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Sorry, got you two confused.

What I'm trying to say is, you shouldn't bank on Edler heading off to free agency to get another top 4 defenseman.
Nobody is. But as of RIGHT NOW, he'll be UFA at the end of the year. So all of YOUR conjecture is hope. Ours is fact.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
  #56
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Nobody is. But as of RIGHT NOW, he'll be UFA at the end of the year. So all of YOUR conjecture is hope. Ours is fact.
I just don't think we should waste time assuming we can get Edler on the Sabres, unless the Canucks can miraculously get Weber next season.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
  #57
Der Jaeger
Registered User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Drury didn't do anything in his rookie year that Hodgson didn't do. And they were both celebrated Captains in their amateur days.

How is Ennis closer to being Briere then??? Has Ennis had a 90 point season? a 30 goal season?

What makes Ennis closer to Briere if the parameters are "yet" ???
You should slow down. That's not the argument that Sabretip presented, or I agreed with.

Hodgson's career, so far, followed Drury's fairly closely. Which is why a lot fo folks, including me and you, think that's where Hodgson's career will progress.

Yet. That's the key word. He hasn't done it yet. Not that he won't. . . that he hasn't yet at the NHL level. I see it as not counting chicken that haven't hatched yet.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:03 PM
  #58
Jame
Dream '16
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 32,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
While Ennis certainly has similar creativity, size and shiftiness to Briere, comparing Hodgson to Drury is a stretch. Even during Drury's early years, he demonstrated leadership qualities and clutch ability. Hodgson hasn't shown either consistently....yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
You should slow down. That's not the argument that Sabretip presented, or I agreed with.

Hodgson's career, so far, followed Drury's fairly closely. Which is why a lot fo folks, including me and you, think that's where Hodgson's career will progress.

Yet. That's the key word. He hasn't done it yet. Not that he won't. . . that he hasn't yet at the NHL level. I see it as not counting chicken that haven't hatched yet.
I guess I don't understand why it's a stretch to compare 1 pair and not the other...

it seems the criteria for comparing Ennis/Briere was a simplistic style of play comparison... while the criteria for comparing Hodgson/Drury is a much more detailed threshold

???

Maybe 'tip can clarify for me?

I also refuted the claim that made it seem as though Hodgson hasn't demonstrated the same leadership/clutch skills at the same point in his career.

I guess I'm confused as the why the original statement didn't read, "although Ennis and Briere have similar traits, it's a stretch to compare them, Briere was a 30 goal/90 pt player in Buffalo, Ennis isn't that player yet".

Wasn't Briere a leader and clutch too? Has Ennis demonstrated those skills any more consistently then Hodgson?

just seemed like a statement dripping in bias

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
  #59
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
If Gillis lets Edler out of Vancouver, he'll have more than just tape over his mouth to worry about. More like being curb-stomped by Canuck faithful.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
  #60
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If Gillis lets Edler out of Vancouver, he'll have more than just tape over his mouth to worry about. More like being curb-stomped by Canuck faithful.
More like being crucified and put in front of Rogers Arena as an example to everyone.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:15 PM
  #61
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
Hodgson has some quality leadership history with his captaincy at the U-18's, the "A" at the WJC's in '09 where he crushed it with 16 points, his "C" in Brampton getting his team to the OHL Finals (lost to the Spits machine). The Outstanding Player and Most Sportsmanlike Player awards speak to what opposing coaches thought of him in the OHL. There is clutchness and leadership history there, so that's why I've thought Regier is trying to recapture the Briere/Drury dynamic with Ennis and Hodgson.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
  #62
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
While Ennis certainly has similar creativity, size and shiftiness to Briere, comparing Hodgson to Drury is a stretch. Even during Drury's early years, he demonstrated leadership qualities and clutch ability. Hodgson hasn't shown either consistently....yet.
You're comparing apples to oranges. 4 years after getting drafted Drury had yet to play in an NHL game. Drury was a rookie in the 5th season after he was drafted which is the same season Hodgson will be in next year.

Next season Hodgson also wont have the benefit Drury had his rookie year and the next 3 seasons in Colorado. Which was being the 3rd line center of one the best teams in the NHL with two hall of famers ahead of him (Sakic/Forsberg).


Its way too soon to say one way or another what NHL qualities Hodgson may have, let alone in relation to Drury.


Last edited by joshjull: 08-03-2012 at 03:30 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:29 PM
  #63
Reddawg
Registered User
 
Reddawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Trade for DiPietro at $4.5 per...just because.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
  #64
Dr. Zoidberg
Registered User
 
Dr. Zoidberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Trade for DiPietro at $4.5 per...just because.
In 2006, Jason Blake did say that Dipietro was the future of the USA in net. We are in the future, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Blake, 2006
"First of all, let's be a little honest here: Rick DiPietro is the future of USA Hockey just like he's the future of the New York Islanders," Blake said. "Just because Ryan Miller has better numbers than Rick DiPietro or whoever has scored more goals than whoever, it doesn't matter."

Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:57 PM
  #65
Der Jaeger
Registered User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I guess I don't understand why it's a stretch to compare 1 pair and not the other...

it seems the criteria for comparing Ennis/Briere was a simplistic style of play comparison... while the criteria for comparing Hodgson/Drury is a much more detailed threshold

???

Maybe 'tip can clarify for me?

I also refuted the claim that made it seem as though Hodgson hasn't demonstrated the same leadership/clutch skills at the same point in his career.

I guess I'm confused as the why the original statement didn't read, "although Ennis and Briere have similar traits, it's a stretch to compare them, Briere was a 30 goal/90 pt player in Buffalo, Ennis isn't that player yet".

Wasn't Briere a leader and clutch too? Has Ennis demonstrated those skills any more consistently then Hodgson?

just seemed like a statement dripping in bias
I can't speak for Sabretip. Here's my position: I think the Briere-Ennis and Drury-Hodgson comparisons are valid. I took his argument as a break. Eg: slow down, he's not Drury yet. And I agreed. Though I do believe that if both develop, they'll be close comparisons.

For me, the comparisons aren't statistically based. It was style of play, role on the team. I'm all for the stats comparisons, though, and I didn't realize Hodgson and Drury were that close statistically.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
  #66
Der Jaeger
Registered User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges.
That's one of my favorite statements. You can absolutely compare apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges are both round, have skin, make juice, grow on trees, etc.

Hodgson and Drury both play center, play two-way games, have displayed leadership qualities, have been team captains, had similar rookie year stats, broke into the league as third line centers, etc.

They are comparable.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:11 PM
  #67
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
That's one of my favorite statements. You can absolutely compare apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges are both round, have skin, make juice, grow on trees, etc.

Hodgson and Drury both play center, play two-way games, have displayed leadership qualities, have been team captains, had similar rookie year stats, broke into the league as third line centers, etc.


They are comparable.


For starters I didn't say they could be compared to each other. The apples and oranges comments in in reference to Sabretip comparing Drury's early years to Hodgson's and saying Drury had X and Hodgson hasn't shown that yet.

But there is a big difference between Hodgson to this point of his career and Drury at the same point.

-4 years after getting drafted Drury had yet to play a game in the NHL.
-4 years after getting drafted Hodgson had been a pro for 2 seasons and has 91 regular season games and 12 NHL playoff games under his belt.

Next season Hodgson will be entering his 2nd NHL season and will be asked, along with another youngster, to be part of our center 1-2 punch. At the same time in his career Drury was a rookie after 4 years and BU and stepped into possibly the most amazing situation for a young center. Playing behind Sakic/Forsberg as the 3rd line center on one of the best teams in the NHL.

So no, the earlier years of Hodgson's career really aren't that comparable to Drury's situation in the same years in his career.

Its a bit much to pass judgement on what Hodsgon can or can't be by comparing those years.


Last edited by joshjull: 08-03-2012 at 04:17 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:13 PM
  #68
Der Jaeger
Registered User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post


For starters I didn't say they could be compared to each other. The apples and oranges comments in in reference to Sabretip comapring Drury's early years to Hodgson's and sayiong Drury was X and Hodgson hasn't shown that yet.

But there is a big difference between Hodgson to this point of his career and Drury at the same point.

-4 years after getting drafted Drury had yet to play a agme in the NHL.
-4 years after getting drafted Hodgson had been a pro for 2 seasons and has 91 regular season games and 12 NHL playoff games under his belt.

Next season Hodgson will be entering his 2nd NHL season. At the same time Drury was a rookie after 4 years and BU.
OK, what are the differences? The timing of the start of their pro career.... amount of time playing as a third line center.

Keep going....

As I see it, there are more comparable points concerning the two than contrasting points.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:18 PM
  #69
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,442
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
OK, what are the differences? The timing of the start of their pro career.... amount of time playing as a third line center.

Keep going....

As I see it, there are more comparable points concerning the two than contrasting points.
Read my edit.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:22 PM
  #70
Der Jaeger
Registered User
 
Der Jaeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Read my edit.
Fair enough. There are differences. The biggest difference being "yet," as in Hodgson hasn't done what Drury did yet.

But they are similar enough to compare them, as well.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:44 PM
  #71
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,181
vCash: 500
Vanek - 7,000,000 - Tropp
Leino - Hodgson - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Ott - McCormick - Kaleta
Gerbe

There's your #1 center folks.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:45 PM
  #72
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
If I work more overtime, it would take me 116.5 years to gross 7 million dollars.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:55 PM
  #73
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 4,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Vanek - 7,000,000 - Tropp
Leino - Hodgson - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Ott - McCormick - Kaleta
Gerbe

There's your #1 center folks.
Wouldn't it be something to just toss a bag of money out there and get 60 points?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
  #74
AlexanderMogilny89
Registered User
 
AlexanderMogilny89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Wouldn't it be something to just toss a bag of money out there and get 60 points?
That would be pretty cool .

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:25 PM
  #75
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
That would be pretty cool .
He would have to wear #7. Could you imagine the interviews? Just a big old bag of money dripping with sweat, with a towel over one side of it. Just stone walling every question asked with a quiet confidence. Total badness!!!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.