HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

7 million in Cap Space

Old
08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I think Sabretip's comment was qualified by "yet," and that's the part I agree with. Drury did everything in the comparison at the NHL level, while Hodgson hasn't yet. And I agree with that.
Drury didn't do anything in his rookie year that Hodgson didn't do. And they were both celebrated Captains in their amateur days.

How is Ennis closer to being Briere then??? Has Ennis had a 90 point season? a 30 goal season?

What makes Ennis closer to Briere if the parameters are "yet" ???

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I just keep on thinking of that goal against Boston when I think of Hodgson.
The slapper he blew by Thomas when he was with the Canucks?

Old
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The slapper he blew by Thomas when he was with the Canucks?
Yes

That was beautiful. I keep joking with my friends that it broke Tim Thomas.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:25 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
That's why the cap was set at $70.3M for this year, not the $73.8M it should have been.
What are you talking about?

The upper limit is exactly where it's supposed to be.
They can't just arbitrarily change it; it's based on a formula.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:27 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Sorry, got you two confused.

What I'm trying to say is, you shouldn't bank on Edler heading off to free agency to get another top 4 defenseman.
Nobody is. But as of RIGHT NOW, he'll be UFA at the end of the year. So all of YOUR conjecture is hope. Ours is fact.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Nobody is. But as of RIGHT NOW, he'll be UFA at the end of the year. So all of YOUR conjecture is hope. Ours is fact.
I just don't think we should waste time assuming we can get Edler on the Sabres, unless the Canucks can miraculously get Weber next season.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Drury didn't do anything in his rookie year that Hodgson didn't do. And they were both celebrated Captains in their amateur days.

How is Ennis closer to being Briere then??? Has Ennis had a 90 point season? a 30 goal season?

What makes Ennis closer to Briere if the parameters are "yet" ???
You should slow down. That's not the argument that Sabretip presented, or I agreed with.

Hodgson's career, so far, followed Drury's fairly closely. Which is why a lot fo folks, including me and you, think that's where Hodgson's career will progress.

Yet. That's the key word. He hasn't done it yet. Not that he won't. . . that he hasn't yet at the NHL level. I see it as not counting chicken that haven't hatched yet.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
While Ennis certainly has similar creativity, size and shiftiness to Briere, comparing Hodgson to Drury is a stretch. Even during Drury's early years, he demonstrated leadership qualities and clutch ability. Hodgson hasn't shown either consistently....yet.
Quote:
You should slow down. That's not the argument that Sabretip presented, or I agreed with.

Hodgson's career, so far, followed Drury's fairly closely. Which is why a lot fo folks, including me and you, think that's where Hodgson's career will progress.

Yet. That's the key word. He hasn't done it yet. Not that he won't. . . that he hasn't yet at the NHL level. I see it as not counting chicken that haven't hatched yet.
I guess I don't understand why it's a stretch to compare 1 pair and not the other...

it seems the criteria for comparing Ennis/Briere was a simplistic style of play comparison... while the criteria for comparing Hodgson/Drury is a much more detailed threshold

???

Maybe 'tip can clarify for me?

I also refuted the claim that made it seem as though Hodgson hasn't demonstrated the same leadership/clutch skills at the same point in his career.

I guess I'm confused as the why the original statement didn't read, "although Ennis and Briere have similar traits, it's a stretch to compare them, Briere was a 30 goal/90 pt player in Buffalo, Ennis isn't that player yet".

Wasn't Briere a leader and clutch too? Has Ennis demonstrated those skills any more consistently then Hodgson?

just seemed like a statement dripping in bias

Old
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If Gillis lets Edler out of Vancouver, he'll have more than just tape over his mouth to worry about. More like being curb-stomped by Canuck faithful.

08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If Gillis lets Edler out of Vancouver, he'll have more than just tape over his mouth to worry about. More like being curb-stomped by Canuck faithful.
More like being crucified and put in front of Rogers Arena as an example to everyone.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Hodgson has some quality leadership history with his captaincy at the U-18's, the "A" at the WJC's in '09 where he crushed it with 16 points, his "C" in Brampton getting his team to the OHL Finals (lost to the Spits machine). The Outstanding Player and Most Sportsmanlike Player awards speak to what opposing coaches thought of him in the OHL. There is clutchness and leadership history there, so that's why I've thought Regier is trying to recapture the Briere/Drury dynamic with Ennis and Hodgson.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
While Ennis certainly has similar creativity, size and shiftiness to Briere, comparing Hodgson to Drury is a stretch. Even during Drury's early years, he demonstrated leadership qualities and clutch ability. Hodgson hasn't shown either consistently....yet.
You're comparing apples to oranges. 4 years after getting drafted Drury had yet to play in an NHL game. Drury was a rookie in the 5th season after he was drafted which is the same season Hodgson will be in next year.

Next season Hodgson also wont have the benefit Drury had his rookie year and the next 3 seasons in Colorado. Which was being the 3rd line center of one the best teams in the NHL with two hall of famers ahead of him (Sakic/Forsberg).

Its way too soon to say one way or another what NHL qualities Hodgson may have, let alone in relation to Drury.

Last edited by joshjull: 08-03-2012 at 03:30 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Reddawg

Trade for DiPietro at $4.5 per...just because.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Dr. Zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Trade for DiPietro at $4.5 per...just because.
In 2006, Jason Blake did say that Dipietro was the future of the USA in net. We are in the future, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Blake, 2006
"First of all, let's be a little honest here: Rick DiPietro is the future of USA Hockey just like he's the future of the New York Islanders," Blake said. "Just because Ryan Miller has better numbers than Rick DiPietro or whoever has scored more goals than whoever, it doesn't matter."

Dr. Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
I guess I don't understand why it's a stretch to compare 1 pair and not the other...

it seems the criteria for comparing Ennis/Briere was a simplistic style of play comparison... while the criteria for comparing Hodgson/Drury is a much more detailed threshold

???

Maybe 'tip can clarify for me?

I also refuted the claim that made it seem as though Hodgson hasn't demonstrated the same leadership/clutch skills at the same point in his career.

I guess I'm confused as the why the original statement didn't read, "although Ennis and Briere have similar traits, it's a stretch to compare them, Briere was a 30 goal/90 pt player in Buffalo, Ennis isn't that player yet".

Wasn't Briere a leader and clutch too? Has Ennis demonstrated those skills any more consistently then Hodgson?

just seemed like a statement dripping in bias
I can't speak for Sabretip. Here's my position: I think the Briere-Ennis and Drury-Hodgson comparisons are valid. I took his argument as a break. Eg: slow down, he's not Drury yet. And I agreed. Though I do believe that if both develop, they'll be close comparisons.

For me, the comparisons aren't statistically based. It was style of play, role on the team. I'm all for the stats comparisons, though, and I didn't realize Hodgson and Drury were that close statistically.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
You're comparing apples to oranges.
That's one of my favorite statements. You can absolutely compare apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges are both round, have skin, make juice, grow on trees, etc.

Hodgson and Drury both play center, play two-way games, have displayed leadership qualities, have been team captains, had similar rookie year stats, broke into the league as third line centers, etc.

They are comparable.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:11 PM
joshjull

Quote:
That's one of my favorite statements. You can absolutely compare apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges are both round, have skin, make juice, grow on trees, etc.

Hodgson and Drury both play center, play two-way games, have displayed leadership qualities, have been team captains, had similar rookie year stats, broke into the league as third line centers, etc.

They are comparable.

For starters I didn't say they could be compared to each other. The apples and oranges comments in in reference to Sabretip comparing Drury's early years to Hodgson's and saying Drury had X and Hodgson hasn't shown that yet.

But there is a big difference between Hodgson to this point of his career and Drury at the same point.

-4 years after getting drafted Drury had yet to play a game in the NHL.
-4 years after getting drafted Hodgson had been a pro for 2 seasons and has 91 regular season games and 12 NHL playoff games under his belt.

Next season Hodgson will be entering his 2nd NHL season and will be asked, along with another youngster, to be part of our center 1-2 punch. At the same time in his career Drury was a rookie after 4 years and BU and stepped into possibly the most amazing situation for a young center. Playing behind Sakic/Forsberg as the 3rd line center on one of the best teams in the NHL.

So no, the earlier years of Hodgson's career really aren't that comparable to Drury's situation in the same years in his career.

Its a bit much to pass judgement on what Hodsgon can or can't be by comparing those years.

Last edited by joshjull: 08-03-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:

For starters I didn't say they could be compared to each other. The apples and oranges comments in in reference to Sabretip comapring Drury's early years to Hodgson's and sayiong Drury was X and Hodgson hasn't shown that yet.

But there is a big difference between Hodgson to this point of his career and Drury at the same point.

-4 years after getting drafted Drury had yet to play a agme in the NHL.
-4 years after getting drafted Hodgson had been a pro for 2 seasons and has 91 regular season games and 12 NHL playoff games under his belt.

Next season Hodgson will be entering his 2nd NHL season. At the same time Drury was a rookie after 4 years and BU.
OK, what are the differences? The timing of the start of their pro career.... amount of time playing as a third line center.

Keep going....

As I see it, there are more comparable points concerning the two than contrasting points.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:18 PM
joshjull

Quote:
OK, what are the differences? The timing of the start of their pro career.... amount of time playing as a third line center.

Keep going....

As I see it, there are more comparable points concerning the two than contrasting points.
Read my edit.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Read my edit.
Fair enough. There are differences. The biggest difference being "yet," as in Hodgson hasn't done what Drury did yet.

But they are similar enough to compare them, as well.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:44 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Vanek - 7,000,000 - Tropp
Leino - Hodgson - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Ott - McCormick - Kaleta
Gerbe

There's your #1 center folks.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

If I work more overtime, it would take me 116.5 years to gross 7 million dollars.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:55 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Vanek - 7,000,000 - Tropp
Leino - Hodgson - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Ott - McCormick - Kaleta
Gerbe

There's your #1 center folks.
Wouldn't it be something to just toss a bag of money out there and get 60 points?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Wouldn't it be something to just toss a bag of money out there and get 60 points?
That would be pretty cool .

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
That would be pretty cool .
He would have to wear #7. Could you imagine the interviews? Just a big old bag of money dripping with sweat, with a towel over one side of it. Just stone walling every question asked with a quiet confidence. Total badness!!!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote