HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Two Ottawa trades, Oilers & Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 01:48 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

vCash: 500
No...just no.

These deals where you offer a series of player prospects for one or two proven players will never be accepted because the other team, despite trying to sound knowledgeable, has no concept or grasp on what the real value of those prospects are, because they've never seen them play a game.

Old
08-03-2012, 01:54 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Another handful of nickels for a quarter proposal. These rarely go over well.

No from Edmonton. I wouldn't trade either of Gagner or Hemsky for that package.
100% agreed. If you want quality, you have to overpay. If you don't think Hemsky has the potential to return to form, then there's no trade to be made. If you don't appreciate Gagner's grit and 2C offensive production because he's not 6'3", 220lbs, then there's no trade to be made.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Jaromir Jagrbombs

Big no to the first trade, and like others have stated not enough for Florida to move Gudbranson.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Eskimo44

The Edmonton trade is a big no. We don't need defense prospects, like not at all. Bishop and a 4th round pick is meh. We have a starter and two good prospects in net. Zack Smith is a good young 3rd liner, but he's not even close to being worth Gagner. Trading our 2nd line center for a 3rd line center is a very bad idea. Hemsky himself isn't worth this package IMO. Other than Smith we don't need any of the pieces in the deal, and Smith is obviously worth much less than Gagner. Even removing one of the Oilers from the deal i wouldn't do it.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:45 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
i'd rather have zack smith as our #3 center than sam gagner.

the second one is doable but i doubt tallon bites.

08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
As an Oiler fan, I have no interest in your proposal.

Old
08-03-2012, 02:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
The Edmonton deal is just brutal

Old
08-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
the florida deal is laughably terrible. how about matthias, ellerby and mcfarland for zibenejad? scraps for a potential star deals dont work.

edmonton deal doesnt look much better.
It's laughable for us too, we give up our valued depth for a #3 or #4 Defenceman.

I can see why you don't do it, but neither do we.

Lose-Lose trade.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:08 PM
HarveySpecter

I don't know what people see in Gudbranson, I've never been impressed with him. I don't think he'll ever be more than a 3rd/4th defenseman.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Greeningfan14

Wouldnt do either deal

Old
08-03-2012, 03:35 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
He said he wouldn't do Hemsky OR Gagner for that package, nevermind that neither Hemsky or especially Gagner don't fit what Ottawa's going for.
And I wouldn't. Imo, a bottom 6 C, a D prospect with bottom 4 potential and a maybe goalie isn't worth a top 6 player, let alone two.

I'm glad the trade doesn't address your needs, because it certainly doesn't address ours.

Old
08-03-2012, 03:41 PM
SufferingCatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intangibles View Post
I don't know what people see in Gudbranson, I've never been impressed with him. I don't think he'll ever be more than a 3rd/4th defenseman.
I do not know what you do not "see." Did you watch the Panther/New Jersey series? If so, please tell us that you were not "impressed." BTW please read what the Devils had to say about him after the series. Not too shabby for a 19 year old...

Old
08-03-2012, 03:58 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
And I wouldn't. Imo, a bottom 6 C, a D prospect with bottom 4 potential and a maybe goalie isn't worth a top 6 player, let alone two.

I'm glad the trade doesn't address your needs, because it certainly doesn't address ours.
If you wouldn't do that package for Gagner, then...no words really come to mind other than lol.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
If you wouldn't do that package for Gagner, then...no words really come to mind other than lol.
I wouldn't. How exactly does that help the Edmonton Oilers?

You're making a trade scenario for the Sens needs, but that package does not help the other team. It's another quantity vs quality deal that HF surely loves.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Seachd

Quote:
It's not really that enticing of a package, and I could certainly see the Oilers rejecting it very quickly, whether Gagner, Hemsky, or both.

Basically it comes down to Smith and Borowiecki for Gagner. Bishop and the 4th a throw-ins. Doesn't look very impressive.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:11 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Gagner is a better player than the HF hivemind would have you believe. Lol away if you like, doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:32 PM
zeus3007*

Not interested in any of those pieces from Ottawa.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:33 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
No...just no.

These deals where you offer a series of player prospects for one or two proven players will never be accepted because the other team, despite trying to sound knowledgeable, has no concept or grasp on what the real value of those prospects are, because they've never seen them play a game.
This, and we have tons of young players and prospects developing already. The Oil need NHL quality players, not more prospect, so trading NHLers for prospects is counter-productive.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:37 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Edmonton's 2-4 centre depth after this trade: Horcoff, Belanger, VandeVelde.

Ouch. I'm not much of a Gagner fan but this trade is terrible.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:38 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
I wouldn't. How exactly does that help the Edmonton Oilers?

You're making a trade scenario for the Sens needs, but that package does not help the other team. It's another quantity vs quality deal that HF surely loves.
I wouldn't do it as a Sens fan. The need is a high scoring winger, not a soft C and not an over paid injury prone winger. I already outlined why the Sens wouldn't do this. The reason we made the playoffs was depth and a fierce hunger to win. Neither Gagner nor Hemsky have that, so we'll gladly pass.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:43 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Edmonton's 2-4 centre depth after this trade: Horcoff, Belanger, VandeVelde.

Ouch. I'm not much of a Gagner fan but this trade is terrible.
They have Tyler Pitlick, but he's a couple of years away and he might end up as a RW. The thought of Horcoff playing 2nd line C again , might give me nightmares. I like VandeVelde over Belanger, but only as a 4th line C.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
I don't really think we do personally. I think we need a guy who is a hybrid of offence and defence. I'm a big fan of Bogosian - although I know he's not moving. He's the kind of D-man we need. That said, we literally just drafted Ceci who'll be a strong offensive D-man/puck mover, so maybe we need nothing at all (except for a highly talented scoring winger, but who doesn't...)
The Oilers.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Dick Whitman

As a Sens fan, I have no interest in the Oilers deal. We're soft enough after losing Konopka, Carkner and Foligno. Then losing Smith, who makes for a better 3C than Gagner does and Borocop? No thanks.

The Gudbranson deal on the other hand is interesting. Someone mentioned that Zibby or Silfverberg would have to be going back to Florida in any deal for Gudbranson. I'd definitely consider that, for sure. Not sure what else the Panthers would want but Zibby+ for Gudbrandson sounds good to me.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Sureves

Realistically neither the Oils or the Panthers would do those trades. They just don't get anything of value in any of those trades.

Let's really break it down, the only thing of decent value in the Oil proposal is Bishop and I can't really think of any precedent that has been set for goalie prospects having high, or even moderate value. I don't think they are going to send Hemsky for a package that is centered around Bishop - and I don't blame them. Boro is an okay player, but he's like the Jesse Blacker of the Senators: no one is willing to actually give anything for a player like that. I don't think there's much difference in value between Smith and Gagner, so it really comes down to Boro+Bishop for Hemsky: not something I'd do as an Oilers fan. From a Sens POV, it would also suck to lose one of the only gritty guys we have left.

The Florida one is bordering on terrible to be harshly honest.

Last edited by Sureves: 08-03-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Lukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Seems like quantity for quality.
Quote:
Another handful of nickels for a quarter proposal. These rarely go over well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
As an oiler fan I won't comment on that deal. But sens need to add for the second. It is quantity for quality
I cringe everytime I see comments like those. The majority of trades involving multiple players fall into the "quantity for quality" category. The "one for one" type deals happen far less often.

In a "one for one" trade, teams usually swap players of similar caliber to address each team's need.

In a multi-player (quantity for quality) deal, a team is trying to address a desperate need or wants to acquire a coveted player who will have a considerable impact but only has or is only willing to offer several potentially good pieces. The team entertaining the offer is often in a dispute with the said coveted player (ie: Heatley) or has so many needs that it is worth gambling on the potential of turning that one asset into multiple NHL caliber players (now or near future).

The prevailing logic on HF is that all deals must fall in the "caliber for caliber" category. Thankfully most GMs subscribe to the "your offer must address my need(s)" mentality.

This is a corny analogy but hopefully illustrates my point:

You, your wife and kid are facing a vending machine on a really hot day and all you have in your pocket is a $10 silver coin which the machine won't accept. Someone offers you three $2 coins for your $10 coin. Hardly fair value yet it would address your need to acquire 3 bottles of water which you desperately need. The other guy gets the one coin that is missing in his collection.

BTW, my comment is not specifically targeting the proposal made in this thread as I have no comment on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Does Ottawa really need Gudbranson? I thought they had a nice pool of NHL ready/close to ready defensemen.
No, au contraire, the defense is the only weakness we have, in terms of prospects that is.

Closed Thread