HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Additions

Old
08-03-2012, 12:33 PM
thecloser

vCash: 500
Additions

I'm still sitting here wondering why we don't have any other players added to the puzzle. I know we have all talked about this before, but we HAVE money to do it. What are we doing?

1) I know we are waiting on Doan...blah blah blah
2) we still need another d-man
3) there are still moves to be made!

Like I have said before we still have a good amount of money in cap space. I will back it up with this article from the tennessean.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...p-flexibility/

Come on Preds, do something, sign someone.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:12 PM
codeman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
I'm still sitting here wondering why we don't have any other players added to the puzzle. I know we have all talked about this before, but we HAVE money to do it. What are we doing?

1) I know we are waiting on Doan...blah blah blah
2) we still need another d-man
3) there are still moves to be made!

Like I have said before we still have a good amount of money in cap space. I will back it up with this article from the tennessean.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...p-flexibility/

Come on Preds, do something, sign someone.
I think we are waiting to add the right piece(s). The Preds brass added a couple of sketchy wildcards at the end of the season last year and it kind of backfired. Both Rads and AK are talented but were distractions. Just because there are players available and we have money, doesn't mean that they are the right players for us. Remember too that even though Weber's $13M bonus isn't a cap hit, it still has to be paid. That's another $6M-$7M extra that we would have had to add other players....

I'm truly confident that we will get some additions but I don't agree that we have to do something right now. I trust Poile to make the right moves now that we have our core in place...it just might take some time.

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:29 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Fact is, the Preds lost the following players, Ryan Suter, Cube, Tootoo.

(AK, Radulov don't count they were very LATE additions.)

7/39
6/24
4/7

17 goals 70 points and 26:30 44:02 TOI/G of Defenseman time.

I'm not worried about the goals, the points will be a little harder, the Defenseman time will be taken up by Blum (I hope) and a D-man UFA (I hope)

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

i honestly wouldnt be surprised if we just about stood pat with our current lineup (minus a vetdman). Weber is owed 27 million dollars in ONE season (12-13'). Thats basically half of our internal cap, now that internal cap MAY be gone this year but IDK we will see. With that said i hope someone of significance gets added to our club but im not getting my hopes up for that reason and that reason alone.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:40 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

The article seems like Cooper it threw together because he had to submit something at a deadline. He starts off by saying that much of the Predators monetary flexibility involved real dollars, not salary cap hits. Then, he says that if they want to make moves they have the cap space to do so without discussing whether or not the real dollars are an issue. Oh, and as a toss in, the cap might go down under the new CBA. The last two paragraphs are filled with things we can find out by going to the CapGeek.com site he uses as a source.

As codeman said, moves can be made, but the right moves need to be made.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:43 PM
thecloser

yea its a crap article, but i used capgeek not too long ago and I was just saying. we've lost more than we've gained obviously, and if we wanna win the central and make a serious cup run I tend to believe we need a lot more than we have...

meaning, not just UFA moves..

Old
08-03-2012, 01:51 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

There are holes to be filled for sure. It's just a matter of filling those holes without creating more problems. I don't think money is a huge issue, though with Weber's contract it's definitely a concern. Doan would be the most expensive piece to fill a hole that is left in FA. A vet d-man likely won't be too expensive.

The biggest hole we need filling is a 1C. That would have to be acquired through trade, which is much easier said than done.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 01:56 PM
PredsV82
Cotton Candy!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
yea its a crap article, but i used capgeek not too long ago and I was just saying. we've lost more than we've gained obviously, and if we wanna win the central and make a serious cup run I tend to believe we need a lot more than we have...

meaning, not just UFA moves..
Offensively we have only lost Tootoo from the 8th best scoring team and #1 Power Play in the league.

On D we have thus far replaced Cube with Gill(upgrade) and are replacing Suter by bumping the youth up a notch.

Nobody last year had career years and we should expect improvement from Wilson, Smith and Borque at a minimum.

Sure, I'd love to add a veteran defenseman and a 20 goal winger if we can, but if we can't, we will srill be formidable

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:14 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
If Blum puts it back together and Ellis plays even reasonably well, the overall D will be vastly improved from what we opened the year with last year. Yes, losing Suter hurts, but Klein is a better Klein than he was, we added Gill, and we have Josi that has proven capable. Blum stunk - he should be better. Ellis replaces the hole that was our #6 most of the year.

Reasonably - we should open missing a #2 (that Josi will grow into over the next couple years) and 3, if not 4, 2nd pair guys. The PP will be different, but a bigger role for Josi, and permanent role for Ellis - and we may not be quite as steady but might not miss Sutes too much there.

All comes back to Blum straightening out his game - if not, GMDP will have to find a guy in a hurry. Offense - better for sure. Goose/Yip > Smithson/Toots.

Unless Poile finds a vet Dman that's just too good to pass, I kinda' hope we wait and see how the D shakes out. If Blum straightens out & Eckholm is serviceable then Poile should be able to focus on trying to find that 1C we really need.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Doing something for the sake of doing something is foolish. Any move need to be the right one that addresses our needs.

Offensively, we could use an upgrade at top six winger and a true #1 center (although Fisher and Legwand were both in the top 30 scoring by centers last season). Doan is the only real option left in the FA market that fits with several possible trade targets once signed players start getting moved. Defensively, we could use a veteran top four guy ... again there are few of those realistically available and the trade market is extremely quiet.

Having cap space is great. It provides flexibility. That said, cap space alone doesn't account for Weber's huge financial drain in the next 11 months. His real money payout between now and July 1st is nearly four times his cap hit.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Who was the last Free Agent to sign with another team? Semin, last week?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:36 PM
NoNecksCurse

i think our defense will be fine once they get their feet wet. weber, josi, gill, klein - all decent to great. then ellis, blum, eckholm fight for 2 spots.. id rather see an upgrade in the top 6. #1 center or top 3 winger (legit offense) .. we need a stud up front come playoff time.. however.. if money is short due to weber, im okay with waiting a year or two to really spend cash where it doesn't cripple the team. 27 million in 1 calendar year is no joke for any team/owner.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:38 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Who was the last Free Agent to sign with another team? Semin, last week?
yepp believe so.. very, very quiet on free agents lately

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 02:47 PM
codeman00

I think that Smith is going to surprise us this year with a great season and give us some of that offense that we've been asking for.

codeman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Do you all read the other team's forums? About 80% of them are all saying the exact same thing about their teams. It's not Poile and the Preds in a vacuum; it is exceptionally difficult to snag quality free agents given the competition. I would be ecstatic if we snagged a Colaiacovo-esque player, but I doubt we sign anyone else of substance and end up banking on Josi to be our #2.

And I'm fine this scenario. This isn't a cup year to me for us and next year's forward UFA class is way deeper. Save assets, let Ellis / Josi / Wilson / Smith develop for another year, then go hard in the next free agency.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:30 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
i think our defense will be fine once they get their feet wet. weber, josi, gill, klein - all decent to great. then ellis, blum, eckholm fight for 2 spots.. id rather see an upgrade in the top 6. #1 center or top 3 winger (legit offense) .. we need a stud up front come playoff time.. however.. if money is short due to weber, im okay with waiting a year or two to really spend cash where it doesn't cripple the team. 27 million in 1 calendar year is no joke for any team/owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Do you all read the other team's forums? About 80% of them are all saying the exact same thing about their teams. It's not Poile and the Preds in a vacuum; it is exceptionally difficult to snag quality free agents given the competition. I would be ecstatic if we snagged a Colaiacovo-esque player, but I doubt we sign anyone else of substance and end up banking on Josi to be our #2.

And I'm fine this scenario. This isn't a cup year to me for us and next year's forward UFA class is way deeper. Save assets, let Ellis / Josi / Wilson / Smith develop for another year, then go hard in the next free agency.
I agree with you all. If signing Weber means we have a possible 1 or 2 year downfall, so be it. Besides, I think Josi will fit in just fine on the 1st pairing in the near future but I just don't want to rush him into too much TOI.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post

I actually like this post. I haven't really given thought to next year. It does make sense for us to let our youth develop at this level this season and watch smith/wilson/bourque get better.

Thinking about it, it would be a good idea to save money and assets and go after the free agency class next year. Getzlaf and Iginla are in that pool!!