HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 1997-born players in NB

Old
04-02-2012, 02:48 PM
hockey jockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBHockey View Post
Sorry, I thought you were actually there watching as you said some teams were stronger than others.

What info do you have on Leduc and the Sask team for the Telus Cup?

UNB's Stamler played for Leduc.
Not to much I know the team from Sask is the Saskatoon Contacts finished second in the regular season to Prince Albert then knocked them off in the Provincial finals.As you know they play a more physical game in the west than here in the east.

hockey jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:03 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey jockey View Post
Not to much I know the team from Sask is the Saskatoon Contacts finished second in the regular season to Prince Albert then knocked them off in the Provincial finals.As you know they play a more physical game in the west than here in the east.
Moncton off to the Telus Cup this weekend they play the host Leduc there first game on Monday lets hope they represent the Atlantic provinces well.

Old
04-20-2012, 08:18 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Moncton off to the Telus Cup this weekend they play the host Leduc there first game on Monday lets hope they represent the Atlantic provinces well.
Hope it goes well for them. On the original topic, I was told Jacob is making the trip with the Flyers.

NBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2012, 05:14 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Hope it goes well for them. On the original topic, I was told Jacob is making the trip with the Flyers.
I think he is , I believe he went to NFLD with them not sure if he played much or if he even dressed , going to the Telus Cup would be a good experience for him.

Old
04-24-2012, 06:32 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I think he is , I believe he went to NFLD with them not sure if he played much or if he even dressed , going to the Telus Cup would be a good experience for him.
The flyers lost 5-4 to Host Leduc, Jacob scored a PP Goal

Old
04-24-2012, 07:02 AM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
The flyers lost 5-4 to Host Leduc, Jacob scored a PP Goal
Doesn't surprise me at all. Good luck to them.

Old
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

I've heard that Spencer Buck is considering Shattock St. Mary's for soccer. That will be a loss for the Saint John Midgets if it turns out.

Last edited by NBHockey: 05-31-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old
05-16-2012, 03:23 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I've heard that Spencer Buck is considering Shattock St. Mary's for soccer. That will be a loss for the Midget Seadogs if it turns out.
If that is true I wonder if he would also be playing hockey or just going for soccer?

Old
05-31-2012, 01:46 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
If that is true I wonder if he would also be playing hockey or just going for soccer?
I can't imagine he would have the time to do both programs.

Old
05-31-2012, 06:10 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I can't imagine he would have the time to do both programs.
Do both seasons over lap ? maybe he has decided to go the soccer only?

Old
05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Do both seasons over lap ? maybe he has decided to go the soccer only?
With the Q draft next weekend what New Brunswick players do you see going in the first 4 rounds if any?

Old
06-10-2012, 07:18 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
With the Q draft next weekend what New Brunswick players do you see going in the first 4 rounds if any?
3 NB players go in the 4th round 12 in total Spencer Smallman is selected in the 4th round I never thought he was projected to go that high.

Old
08-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Hkysct

For goalies:
1-Tristan Meadows
2-Derek Goguen
3-Julien Galloway
4-Guillaume Brideau

Tristan Meadows is in my opinion the best in nb. Bad numbers, but not a good defensive team infront of him. Played U14 and should have made U15, allowed the least amount of goals at the camp. Derek Goguen second, although he is small he plays big and very quick. Galloway lacks technique but is very big and pretty quick. Brideau is very underrated, he's very quick and good rebound control

For forwards I'm not even going to bother.[/QUOTE]

I've been watching this thread for awhile now and it amazed me how people come up with their rankings. Let's set aside goals for a second and look at some of these players individually. AJ (Alex Jacob) is an amazingly gifted hockey player and has more natural talent then most kids; but he's fragile. He's small and doesn't like to be hit. Currently he is having his shoulder operated on and he is plagued by knee problems. Belec is a train on the ice and if he learned to pass a little more he would be a deadly hockey player. His strength though is in the locker room because he leads by example and the guys love him. For anyone to put meadows over Galloway or Goguen is just crazy. Meadows will be a good high school goalie at best. He and Galloway were on the same Vred team for years and meadows sat while Galloway shined. The Vreds cut meadows and brought in Chris smith, a big goalie from nfld and he too sat on the bench was Galloway unreal good. I don't know what technique you're talking about but stopping pucks is all that is required and he stops a lot of pucks. Galloway won top goalie in NB on a winning team (landry is a great money goalie too, but playing with Galloway it's easy to get overlooked) and won top goalie in Atlantic Canada on a losing team. Galloway and Goguen are the two money goalies in NB and Goguen has a bad reputation in the dressing room for blaming goals on dmen. Rumor has it that Goguen is going to prep school in the fall. This will probably make him a better goalie than galloway once and for all if he gets the kind of attention prep schools are famous for. Zach Adams has a set of wheels like no one else in the business, but has a hard time controlling the puck at that speed. Thompson is an all around nice kid with a HUGE work ethic. He will do well in the draft and have a great jr. Career barring injury. Deschene needs to stop believing his own press and just play hockey. Domokos will be the one to watch this year as will Elijah Francis. Francis could end up being a better dman than duschene because he works harder and appreciates what he gets more. Another player to watch is jake Vance. Norte dame switched him to forward and he is a power house going to the net. He talks a lot of smack that irritates opponents but the dressing room loves him and he doesn't shy away from big hits that really pump a team up. Expect Liam Conrad to disappear this year now that the Moncton hawks nucleus will be broken up. It's easy to look good when a player as talented as AJ is feeding you the puck. Landry and foulem need to be added to this list of goalies because they are amazing in their own right. Either goalie is good enough to be a number one guy but had the misfortune of being on teams with better tenders. Foulem has been working hard all summer and should be a real contender for a midget AAA spot this coming fall.

Hkysct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Channer33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutman1 View Post
no order it is what my team looks for
scoutman1, what team do you scout, or coach, for?

Channer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:03 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

I watched three of the four games at the NB U16 camp, I'll throw my opinion out there, ranked in order:

Goalies:
Goguen
Galloway

Defense:
Thompson
Deschene
Paul
Becker
Cloutier
Vance

Forwards:
Tompkins
Bowers
Leblanc
Conrad
Woulds
Daley
Sarault
Theriault
Adams
Tingley
McInnis
Downey

*Jacob - out for injury
I don't know where Belec was, word around Moncton is that he didn't want to participate.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:05 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I watched three of the four games at the NB U16 camp, I'll throw my opinion out there, ranked in order:

Goalies:
Goguen
Galloway

Defense:
Thompson
Deschene
Paul
Becker
Cloutier
Vance

Forwards:
Tompkins
Bowers
Leblanc
Conrad
Woulds
Daley
Sarault
Theriault
Adams
Tingley
McInnis
Downey

*Jacob - out for injury
I don't know where Belec was, word around Moncton is that he didn't want to participate.
I agree with most of your selections of players. As far as rankings, they are interchangeable depending on the day...they are still 15. Starting with the defensemen, I think the top 3 are correct with Vance being the 4th guy, but the ranks can change. It was unfortunate that Deschene didn't finish the camp but he'll be a good addition to the U16 team this year.
Forwards:
Bower
Tompkins
Jacob(will be on team imo)
Leblanc
Sarault
Theriault
Conrad
Daley
Woulds
Adams
Tingley
Downey or McInnis
Just my thoughts!

Old
08-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Hkysct

I was at all the U16 practices and games and kept track of all shots in the games. The Galloway/Betts team saw just under twice the amount of shots that Goguen/Meadows saw and Galloway let in one more goal than Goguen. Goguen fought the puck all weekend and his rebound control was awful. Meadows played far better than I expected and Betts for worse than anyone expected (except in practice where he really sparkled). Biggest disapointment of the week was Matt Paul who should have tore it up considering his potential and where he played last year and he was a vanishing act on the ice. The only time he really showed up was when he was caughing the puck up. He didn't stand out at all. Will Bower was another disapoinyment but inly because i expected to see more scoring. Mo one works harder than bower so i expected to see more. Adams had a great week and missed the scoring title by a hair. His hands and brain are starting to catch up with his legs. He looked great! Belec didn't snub the U16, he was on an overseas trip with his family.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:15 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkysct View Post
I was at all the U16 practices and games and kept track of all shots in the games. The Galloway/Betts team saw just under twice the amount of shots that Goguen/Meadows saw and Galloway let in one more goal than Goguen. Goguen fought the puck all weekend and his rebound control was awful. Meadows played far better than I expected and Betts for worse than anyone expected (except in practice where he really sparkled). Biggest disapointment of the week was Matt Paul who should have tore it up considering his potential and where he played last year and he was a vanishing act on the ice. The only time he really showed up was when he was caughing the puck up. He didn't stand out at all. Will Bower was another disapoinyment but inly because i expected to see more scoring. Mo one works harder than bower so i expected to see more. Adams had a great week and missed the scoring title by a hair. His hands and brain are starting to catch up with his legs. He looked great! Belec didn't snub the U16, he was on an overseas trip with his family.
You sound like a angry goalies dad if you were counting shots at the camp ,Bower was still a very good player this week at camp and as far as Matt Paul's play he might have disappionted you but he is still a top three d man on that team on his worst day and your right he has much potential ( not sure where he played last year would matter), and as far as Adams I don't think the coaches were looking at who won the scoring title at this camp as the quality of player's varied so much.

Your opinion is noted , are you a scout an agent or just a dad posting his opinions?

Old
08-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Hkysct

Assistant coach and my girls have long since hung up the skates, although one was a goalie and i was a frustrated father. Haha. I agree that the coaches could care less about Adams and the scoring title. I only brought that up because Adams has never been known to have a scoring touch. If anything he's known to have wheels for legs and bricks for hands but maybe everything is starting to come together for him. At least based on his performance this weekend. For the record, I wasn't counting individual goalie shots, just team shots with a golf counter in each hand. I don't have the time or inclination to know which goalie got more shots but throwing teams together that are not evenly matched is not fair to the goalies and at the end of a tryout I like to know which way the ice was tilted. It must have been tilted somewhat since the goalies were redistributed. Where Matt played last year is important to me because I was sent to specifically watch him, having missed out on the opportunity last year because he was at notre dame. I expected more based on him playing on the top team and the level of coaching and ice time he would have received. He didn't appear to be comfortable with the puck. I agree based on past play that he has the potential to be in the top three dmen, but he has much work to do to take that title now. Reality is that Paul should have really progressed with the abundance of icetime and the, one would expect, better coaching and i just didnt see it. He is still top three or four, i just thought he would be number one with a bullet. Last thing; Vance is a much better forward than dman. Expect to see him change positions in the near future and really open up some eyes. He's more comfortable and he's also happier there. He could conceivably be the quintessential power forward. My apologies to hockey jockey if I insulted one his friends or debased his opinion. No question there is a serious issue on this site in that anyone can join and anonymously parade their son. I suggest showing some form of team credentials before being given admittance but have no idea how that would be maintained. I do however don't expect to ever post an opinion based on several decades of coaching and mentoring and have my opinions compared to that of an angry goalie dad. Perhaps this thread is more for the hockey dads and less for the true hockey administrators.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:17 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
Assistant coach and my girls have long since hung up the skates, although one was a goalie and i was a frustrated father. Haha. I agree that the coaches could care less about Adams and the scoring title. I only brought that up because Adams has never been known to have a scoring touch. If anything he's known to have wheels for legs and bricks for hands but maybe everything is starting to come together for him. At least based on his performance this weekend. For the record, I wasn't counting individual goalie shots, just team shots with a golf counter in each hand. I don't have the time or inclination to know which goalie got more shots but throwing teams together that are not evenly matched is not fair to the goalies and at the end of a tryout I like to know which way the ice was tilted. It must have been tilted somewhat since the goalies were redistributed. Where Matt played last year is important to me because I was sent to specifically watch him, having missed out on the opportunity last year because he was at notre dame. I expected more based on him playing on the top team and the level of coaching and ice time he would have received. He didn't appear to be comfortable with the puck. I agree based on past play that he has the potential to be in the top three dmen, but he has much work to do to take that title now. Reality is that Paul should have really progressed with the abundance of icetime and the, one would expect, better coaching and i just didnt see it. He is still top three or four, i just thought he would be number one with a bullet. Last thing; Vance is a much better forward than dman. Expect to see him change positions in the near future and really open up some eyes. He's more comfortable and he's also happier there. He could conceivably be the quintessential power forward. My apologies to hockey jockey if I insulted one his friends or debased his opinion. No question there is a serious issue on this site in that anyone can join and anonymously parade their son. I suggest showing some form of team credentials before being given admittance but have no idea how that would be maintained. I do however don't expect to ever post an opinion based on several decades of coaching and mentoring and have my opinions compared to that of an angry goalie dad. Perhaps this thread is more for the hockey dads and less for the true hockey administrators.
Vance will have to improve his foot speed to be a top player in either the D or F role at the next level. Someone also has to get him to stop running around and hitting with his hands.

Don't get too worked up folks, if everyone agreed, there would be nothing to talk about.

I missed the third game, Paul, Tompkins and Goguen were moved to the other team to balance them out I was told. They all looked ok to me on Thursday. I didnt know there was a scoring race.. who were the top ones?

Old
08-03-2012, 08:21 PM
NBHockey
finish your checks

Quote:
I agree with most of your selections of players. As far as rankings, they are interchangeable depending on the day...they are still 15. Starting with the defensemen, I think the top 3 are correct with Vance being the 4th guy, but the ranks can change. It was unfortunate that Deschene didn't finish the camp but he'll be a good addition to the U16 team this year.
Forwards:
Bower
Tompkins
Jacob(will be on team imo)
Leblanc
Sarault
Theriault
Conrad
Daley
Woulds
Adams
Tingley
Downey or McInnis
Just my thoughts!
Your right, pretty inter-changeable... I could be talked into your list pretty easy actually.

Old
08-03-2012, 08:28 PM
hockey jockey

Quote:
I agree with some things that you say and by no means did you offend me or any of my friends as I have no friends that I know of here ,this camp did not bring all the best players in NB together for various reasons the good thing is that this team will not be picked until January so all those player's have plenty of time to prove themselves.I hope that no one here is "parading there son " but just voicing there opinion and that is all that this chat should be about.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:18 PM
NBfan

I'm not sold on Conrad or Downey, but I'm not sure who'd take a spot from one of them. Maybe Tristan Young or Riley Scott. They, at least, are likely to make a midget major team (Miramichi). I don't see Conrad or Tingley making the Moncton team, which is deep with returnees, and I expect other players will pass them by playing midget major while they toil in HS or midget minor. Downey will be hard-pressed to make the SJ team, also.

Fredericton and Miramichi will likely both have very young teams this year, some kids that make those teams are unlikely to end up on u16 over players who are stronger today but will play Sept-Jan at a lower level of competition.

Someone said this event didn't get the top kids out. I have to disagree. There were only a few absences of note, including Jacob (recovering from surgery), Belec (overseas with family), Buck (not sure: he is NOT going to Shattuck, by the way) and Ostroski (don't think he's ever done the HNB program: certainly he passed on u15). Hayward suffered a serious spinal cord injury in the spring and is out of the picture, at least for a year. Robinson was there but not in games (concussion), and Deschenes there for only the first two days (sick). Yes, the pool of forwards was thin, but who was missing? The pool is what it is.

In my respectful opinion, the 12 D at the camp, plus Ostroski, are the top 12. We can argue ad infinitum about their relative ranking, but I think they shift day to day. Except that Thompson, Paul and Deschenes are clearly ahead of the others (with Deschenes sliding back to the back), and Ward, Hachey and Robinson behind. Cloutier, Becker, Comeau, Robichaud and MacDougall are the middle of the pack, from where I sit: all with potential, but all with visible weaknesses. Each of them has games where they look like an emerging star, and games when they're invisible, or all cement feet. Still, I think all of these kids are prospects worth watching, if they crack a midget major or prep school roster.

Ward, Robinson and Ostroski are probably all competing for one spot on the Moncton Flyers, so two of them will likely play "down" this year, but the rest will get good competition. Thompson is switching to RNS, and Becker returning to OHA and taking Cloutier with him. The others will likely all play midget major, and their relative ranking will shift weekly from now through next May.

Vance is absolutely a better winger than Dman. I suspect Kevin Pottle will be the man to make it clear he's a forward if he's playing midget major this year. That's if. Someone said the boy aggravates opponents but is loved in his own room. Unfortunately, I doubt more than two people believe that to be true. The boy is intense, for sure, and he comes by it naturally, but that does not go over well in any room or on any bench,

The best of the forwards? Jacob, Bower, LeBlanc, Belec, Tompkins, Sarault, Vance. Sometimes Daley and sometimes Theriault. All should play prep (Bower, Sarault) or midget major this year, and we'll see how they sort out. Like the Dmen, all have growing to do.

This is a big time for those goalies too. Goguen is the least reliable of the four, but going to the right prep program might fix that. Galloway is all potential: a lot depends on where he ends up this season. Meadows' interest comes and goes: if he doesn't make midget major, he may spiral. Betts never sparkles but he just keeps stopping pucks. These four are the only prospects, really. Brideau, Foulem and Landry are next, but behind, and fading.

NBfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 07:45 AM
hockey jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBfan View Post
I'm not sold on Conrad or Downey, but I'm not sure who'd take a spot from one of them. Maybe Tristan Young or Riley Scott. They, at least, are likely to make a midget major team (Miramichi). I don't see Conrad or Tingley making the Moncton team, which is deep with returnees, and I expect other players will pass them by playing midget major while they toil in HS or midget minor. Downey will be hard-pressed to make the SJ team, also.

Fredericton and Miramichi will likely both have very young teams this year, some kids that make those teams are unlikely to end up on u16 over players who are stronger today but will play Sept-Jan at a lower level of competition.

Someone said this event didn't get the top kids out. I have to disagree. There were only a few absences of note, including Jacob (recovering from surgery), Belec (overseas with family), Buck (not sure: he is NOT going to Shattuck, by the way) and Ostroski (don't think he's ever done the HNB program: certainly he passed on u15). Hayward suffered a serious spinal cord injury in the spring and is out of the picture, at least for a year. Robinson was there but not in games (concussion), and Deschenes there for only the first two days (sick). Yes, the pool of forwards was thin, but who was missing? The pool is what it is.

In my respectful opinion, the 12 D at the camp, plus Ostroski, are the top 12. We can argue ad infinitum about their relative ranking, but I think they shift day to day. Except that Thompson, Paul and Deschenes are clearly ahead of the others (with Deschenes sliding back to the back), and Ward, Hachey and Robinson behind. Cloutier, Becker, Comeau, Robichaud and MacDougall are the middle of the pack, from where I sit: all with potential, but all with visible weaknesses. Each of them has games where they look like an emerging star, and games when they're invisible, or all cement feet. Still, I think all of these kids are prospects worth watching, if they crack a midget major or prep school roster.

Ward, Robinson and Ostroski are probably all competing for one spot on the Moncton Flyers, so two of them will likely play "down" this year, but the rest will get good competition. Thompson is switching to RNS, and Becker returning to OHA and taking Cloutier with him. The others will likely all play midget major, and their relative ranking will shift weekly from now through next May.

Vance is absolutely a better winger than Dman. I suspect Kevin Pottle will be the man to make it clear he's a forward if he's playing midget major this year. That's if. Someone said the boy aggravates opponents but is loved in his own room. Unfortunately, I doubt more than two people believe that to be true. The boy is intense, for sure, and he comes by it naturally, but that does not go over well in any room or on any bench,

The best of the forwards? Jacob, Bower, LeBlanc, Belec, Tompkins, Sarault, Vance. Sometimes Daley and sometimes Theriault. All should play prep (Bower, Sarault) or midget major this year, and we'll see how they sort out. Like the Dmen, all have growing to do.

This is a big time for those goalies too. Goguen is the least reliable of the four, but going to the right prep program might fix that. Galloway is all potential: a lot depends on where he ends up this season. Meadows' interest comes and goes: if he doesn't make midget major, he may spiral. Betts never sparkles but he just keeps stopping pucks. These four are the only prospects, really. Brideau, Foulem and Landry are next, but behind, and fading.
Do you think Buck , Belec ,Ostroski will they be eligable to make the team lets say they are having a great season up to Christmas but did not attend the summer camp?or any other player for that matter.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:58 AM
NBfan

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule re eligibility, but the powers that be take care not to routinely allow kids to bypass the summer camps (at $700) and play on the team. The program's not sustainable, if they allow that.

That said, Jacob was on the roster last year despite missing the summer camp due to injury, and I'll bet he's there again this year. Hard to penalize a kid for being injured. I suppose the Ostroski, Belec or Buck families might talk their sons' way onto the team, if their "excuse" for missing is good, but it seems doubtful.

NBfan is offline   Reply With Quote