HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Interesting Info: Part XII (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 04:57 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 95
I was hoping Nash would make such a gesture. I recall Griffey Jr did that after he left. Of course, his last few days were contentious after the slash gesture at home plate so an apology was in order. Nash on the other hand represented the city, team and himself with dignity. So just one last time, much respect to #61.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:01 PM
FlaggerX

vCash: 500
Rick Nash decided to leave us with dignity and respect. He didn't have to do that. Rick I will be rooting for you for the rest of your career. Except against the Jackets.

He didn't have to do this, and I appreciate it.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

That was a class act. I was ready for Rick to move on, but that was an awesome gesture on his part.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
08-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReeper View Post
No wonder why Ohio is a swing state. One little thank you and you're all

Listen - Nash, our "captain". Was overpaid to stay in Columbus, additionally was given a NTC. HE demanded a trade, and limited it to only 5 teams. Taking all of the leverage away from the CBJ. If you think he did us any favors in the negotiations you're mistaken.

Thankfully, Howson was able to get a decent return when he hardly had a leg to stand on.

The entire hockey community is blessed with gifted individuals who offer community service. His will be replaced just as much as his production will be.

Just fyi - I'm not saying we weren't lucky to have him.
I find it funny when people make comments like these. People post their opinions, and someone has nothing better to do than look for a way to insult them.

I didn't take Rick Nash as "demanding a trade"; I took Rick Nash as telling management that he would rather play elsewhere and have a chance to win, rather than sticking with a team that wasn't having success with him on the ice. He didn't tell them by any means that it was "these five teams or nothing," he told them that it was either Columbus or those five teams. And, in fact, it was six teams; but that's a moot point.

And, to your comment about easily replacing a guy like Rick Nash in the community; how many other players have we ever had that matched both his on ice efforts and his off ice kindness? You, sir, are certainly entitled to your opinion - but please be accepting and understanding of other people's opinions, if all you have to do is insult them with a little emoticon. We can do it too, you know...

Old
08-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Listen - Nash, our "captain". Was overpaid to stay in Columbus, additionally was given a NTC. HE demanded a trade, and limited it to only 5 teams. Taking all of the leverage away from the CBJ. If you think he did us any favors in the negotiations you're mistaken.

Thankfully, Howson was able to get a decent return when he hardly had a leg to stand on.

The entire hockey community is blessed with gifted individuals who offer community service. His will be replaced just as much as his production will be.

Because of course actual decent people are all faceless interchangable cogs and there's no reason to get attached, right?

I'm not happy with the situation either, but at least I'm not holding grudges as a result.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-03-2012, 06:12 PM
bizzz

bleacherreport .com/articles/1256041-nhl-top-50-defenseman-of-2012-2013

I don't know if it was posted before, but the bleacherreport made their list of the top-50 NHL defensemen and 3 (!) Blue Jackets were on it. If I'm not mistaken only the Rangers (MDZ, McD, Girardi) and Jackets (Wiz, JMFJ, Nikitin) had 3 representatives on the list. Also someone could make a case for Tyutin (for me Mitchell, Kuba, Colaiacovo or Gilbert ain't any better than him).

Last edited by bizzz: 08-03-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: why they don't allow to post links to the bleacherreport?
Old
08-03-2012, 07:05 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 95
Ohio being a swing state has nothing to do with anything and just comes across as a ignorant comment that has no relationship to the conversation.

Nash was here for 9 years and people became a fan of the boy who became an All Star and Olympian. Posting an ad in the paper was a class act that he didnt have to do and just reinforces the sort of representation we came to expect from Nash.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:27 PM
blahblah

Quote:

He didn't have to do what he did when he left. He's a class act and acted like one on the way out. Whatever ax you have to grind wasn't appropriate. What was even more inappropriate was your attempt to say that Howson saved us from the evil Rick Nash and his demands.

I wanted to trade Nash for about 3 years, but your spin on the situation is fairly ridiculous. The swing state thing was even more so.

Old
08-03-2012, 07:33 PM
CBJFIG

Community Outreach

While many players support their communities in various ways Nash seemed to go above and beyond, and was recognized for his efforts in 08-09 by recieving the NHL Foundation Player Award.

"An annual award presented to "an NHL player who applies the core values of hockey -- commitment, perseverance and teamwork -- to enrich the lives of people in his community." In recognition of this dedication, the NHL Foundation annually awards $25,000 to a current player's charity."

Old
08-04-2012, 07:27 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere else, but Kukla's Korner has it's NHL Stanley Cup odds out, and it isn't good for the CBJ.

We are picked dead last, with no other team even close to as bad of odds as we are. CBJ are 100/1 to win it. The next closest team is the Islanders at 75/1.

Take heart, though. With Nash we were still 75/1 to win it.

How bad can it get?

The full list can be found here.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...nley_cup_odds/

I know, I know, who the hell is Kukla's Korner? Sad thing is we are going to be seeing this from everyone else as well.

Here is the list from NBC Sports with earlier odds for the upcoming season in parenthesis.

Pittsburgh Penguins 8/1 (7/1)
New York Rangers 9/1 (12/1)
Vancouver Canucks 11/1 (12/1)
Los Angeles Kings 12/1 (11/1)
Philadelphia Flyers 13/1 (14/1)
Chicago Blackhawks 14/1 (12/1)
Detroit Red Wings 15/1 (12/1)
Boston Bruins 16/1 (14/1)
St. Louis Blues 16/1 (12/1)
Minnesota Wild 18/1 (75/1)
San Jose Sharks 20/1 (22/1)
Buffalo Sabres 22/1 (25/1)
Carolina Hurricanes 22/1 (50/1)
Nashville Predators 25/1 (18/1)
Tampa Bay Lightning 25/1 SAME
Washington Capitals 25/1 SAME
New Jersey Devils 28/1 (30/1)
Edmonton Oilers 30/1 (60/1)
Toronto Maple Leafs 35/1 SAME
Florida Panthers 40/1 (35/1)
Anaheim Ducks 40/1 (25/1)
Colorado Avalanche 40/1 SAME
Montreal Canadiens 40/1 (60/1)
Ottawa Senators 40/1 SAME
Phoenix Coyotes 40/1 SAME
Calgary Flames 50/1 SAME
Dallas Stars 50/1 (40/1)
Winnipeg Jets 50/1 (40/1)
New York Islanders 75/1 SAME
Columbus Blue Jackets 100/1 (75/1)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ances-improve/

Last edited by Dr. Fire: 08-04-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old
08-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Milltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
bleacherreport .com/articles/1256041-nhl-top-50-defenseman-of-2012-2013

I don't know if it was posted before, but the bleacherreport made their list of the top-50 NHL defensemen and 3 (!) Blue Jackets were on it. If I'm not mistaken only the Rangers (MDZ, McD, Girardi) and Jackets (Wiz, JMFJ, Nikitin) had 3 representatives on the list. Also someone could make a case for Tyutin (for me Mitchell, Kuba, Colaiacovo or Gilbert ain't any better than him).
If Nikitin has found his game and plays with the same intensity and point pace as last year we could be looking at a very nasty combination with him and Tyutin. Tyutin will only be getting better responsibly in his own zone and Nikitin isn't half bad in his own zone as well. I am very excited to see how they play together this year.

Oh and was there any truth that GMSH asked Tyutin to stay after practice and show Nikitin around due to the language barrier? I believe it was something along those lines to make him feel more welcome and wanted here.

Old
08-04-2012, 08:25 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milltec View Post
Oh and was there any truth that GMSH asked Tyutin to stay after practice and show Nikitin around due to the language barrier? I believe it was something along those lines to make him feel more welcome and wanted here.
I believe you're correct, Milltec, Tyutin was asked to help Nikitin become acclimated to Columbus. It's generally felt that having a fellow countryman on the ice was a big part of Nik6's success, last year. I hope he's made some progress with his English and will be more comfortable communicating with the rest of his teammates, this season. Seems, though, that pretty much all of the Euro players speak and understand enough "Hockey English" to get by!

Old
08-05-2012, 09:01 PM
FlaggerX

Quote:
If Nikitin has found his game and plays with the same intensity and point pace as last year we could be looking at a very nasty combination with him and Tyutin. Tyutin will only be getting better responsibly in his own zone and Nikitin isn't half bad in his own zone as well. I am very excited to see how they play together this year.

I agree he could be a really fine player for us, but one part of a season doth not an all-star make. Still, I think the post does reflect that people have noticed we have a solid Blue Line. And at 100-1 it's worth putting a couple bucks on the Jackets. I think we'll be better then most expect.

Old
08-05-2012, 09:27 PM
bizzz

Quote:

I don't know if Howson asked Tyutin, but he definitely helped Nikitin a lot.
I just saw Mayorov's interview to the AkBars (his KHL team) site. He said a few good words about Nikitin - they were roommates. In AkBars he took # 61. He said some nice words about the Jackets and NHL, but also noticed that "there was no confidence about goaltending and that's always distracting".

In August Bobrovsky and Anisimov are gonna take part in the team Russia summer camp in Switzerland. The other invited players - Voynov, Loktionov, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov and a bunch of youngsters from the KHL.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:30 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

There was something about Tyutin and Russell both being held back after the game or practice (whichever one it was) when the Russell / Nikitin trade went down so that Tyutin could talk to Nikitin about it when it occurred.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Posting an ad in the paper was a class act that he didnt have to do and just reinforces the sort of representation we came to expect from Nash.
If it was expected from him, I don't think it needs celebrated.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
If it was expected from him, I don't think it needs celebrated.
This is like saying that if you expect a psychopath to murder somebody, you shouldn't punish him for it when he does it.

That it does not shock that Nash did something like this does not diminish its value.

Old
08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
This is like saying that if you expect a psychopath to murder somebody, you shouldn't punish him for it when he does it.

That it does not shock that Nash did something like this does not diminish its value.
Well said.

Old
08-06-2012, 02:55 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

I thought I was bitter about Howson. Some of these guys can't even simply accept a nice gesture and move on. Some of these people make me look chipper and upbeat. It's not even this topic. I'm starting to look like one of the most optimistic people around here. That's an uncomfortable feeling for me... :p

Old
08-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I thought I was bitter about Howson. Some of these guys can't even simply accept a nice gesture and move on. Some of these people make me look chipper and upbeat. It's not even this topic. I'm starting to look like one of the most optimistic people around here. That's an uncomfortable feeling for me... :p
Welcome, acolyte!

Muahahahahahaha....I have harvested another soul.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:10 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Welcome to the club!

08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Muahahahahahaha....I have harvested another soul.
Yes a bountiful harvest to be sure.

Old
08-06-2012, 03:56 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
There was something about Tyutin and Russell both being held back after the game or practice (whichever one it was) when the Russell / Nikitin trade went down so that Tyutin could talk to Nikitin about it when it occurred.
Wasn't Tyutin being pulled aside after the game (the same night the Russell/Nikitin deal happened) what started the Tyutin-for-Nabokov rumors, resulting in a huge misunderstanding after it was done?

Old
08-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Working up anger focused on Rick Nash? Holding on to that? Against NASH, of all people! Yeah, I don't get that. At all.

Old
08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Your official Sunshine Patrol membership badge and Turn That Frown Upside Down Scarf will arrive in the mail in six to eight weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Wasn't Tyutin being pulled aside after the game (the same night the Russell/Nikitin deal happened) what started the Tyutin-for-Nabokov rumors, resulting in a huge misunderstanding after it was done?
Wow, I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, that might be the case.

Closed Thread