HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

It can still be brutal out there

Old
07-30-2012, 05:21 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
It can still be brutal out there

One of my friends got slashed to the head after a game ended last night:

From his friend:
looser kid two hand slash across the face with under a minute to go and a were losing by like 5 anyway! He's in jail....Jon is slowly getting fixed, we have a broken nose, and multiple fractures of the facial sinuses.

On a side note the kid that escaped my fury by my own decision not to start a brawl is sitting in Grapevine jail.

guys it was surreal like the dude choked up and two hand tomahawk slash across the face for no reason at all, apparently this kid has had multiple issues at grapevine, has been ejected and has been arrested before for similiar circumstances. he's in jail tonight for aggravated assault and Jon is in the hospital until tomorrow morning at least with a broken nose and broken orbital bone across the face, I'm staying here tonight trying to keep the spirits up and keep them for hanging up the skates but I'm thinkin we need to take a collection to get a full cage in helmet for him.

Can't stand it when people ruin this game or try to hurt others like this, they don't deserve to play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jon.jpg‎ (26.6 KB, 119 views)

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:08 AM
bigduga

Ouch.

Hopefully, captain slash gets charged with a felony and thrown in prison for a not insugnificant amount of time. Which won't happen - but one can dream. I do wish your buddy the best of luck in his upcoming civil suit.

Also - for the rest of us - wear a G-D cage. While it's hard to argue anyone should need to anticipate something like this - and this is clearly not the victim's fault - the fact remains that just wearing a cage could've saved someone a lot of pain, time, and hassle. Again.

Nobody ever looks back on a rec league or pick-up game and thinks "Man, I wish I hadn't worn that cage".

Last edited by bigduga: 07-30-2012 at 07:16 AM.
bigduga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduga View Post
Ouch.

Hopefully, captain slash gets charged with a felony and thrown in prison for a not insugnificant amount of time. Which won't happen - but one can dream. I do wish your buddy the best of luck in his upcoming civil suit.

This happened to a friend in a Ball League!! Broken orbitals. He suit the rat bastids, (2 of them), those 2 have had a very hard time rcovering financially from a very dangerous and stupid incident. My friend has recovered.

No shortage of morons.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:03 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

That is awful. Not sure what is wrong with people these days!

Hopefully your friend recovers, the ******* who hit him gets some jail time and is forced to pay for his $tupidity.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
AIREAYE

All the best for a speedy recovery.

And for the record, PLEASE do not start up the 'need for a cage' argument again.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Yeah, some folks can't keep it together. You add to the fact they are holding a weapon in their hands, they end up doing something like that.

Here's to a speedy recovery for your buddy!

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:37 PM
CoopALoop

I'm all for the rough and tough stuff on the ice, but this is extreme.

It's rec league folks, you rarely see this crap in the pros, where the outcome actually matters.

Stay safe out there boys.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 01:55 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Hope there is no permanent damage to his eye. That is frightening stuff.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
neksys

This game is dangerous enough with out these intentional acts of violence. Hope the other guy gets the book thrown at him and I wish your buddy a quick recovery.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Scary. The problem with suing people like that is they usually don't have anything to sue for. You can win millions of dollars but if the guy doesn't own a home and works a crap job you'll get nothing. Jail time is probably the best thing for the guy and if he snaps during a rec league game he'll eventually snap in public and finally be locked away where he should be. At what point does the league director accept blame for a repeat offender? I played against a guy who would just skate around and ask people if they wanted to fight and I asked him why he just doesn't join an MMA or boxing gym? Of course he didn't give me an answer because people like that are usually pretty stupid and they would get destroyed if they went and sparred with somebody.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Wow. I thought rec league hockey was just for fun.
Our team is horrible but everyone begs not to be traded because we enjoy it so much.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Geo73

Hope your buddy gets well soon and back on the ice when he can.

Geo73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 10:20 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Best to your friend, and hope he gets back on the ice soon.

There is no place in organized recreational sports (be it hockey, baseball, soccer, or table tennis) for this kind of violence. The goon should be penalized as much as your local laws will allow. The league should ban the person for life. I can't see any good explanation for this kind of action. If anyone tries to put the "good story" around it, they should equally be punished.

Ffffffff! This stuff makes me angry.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 10:40 AM
windycity

that is so messed up. Wish him a full and speedy recovery and jail time/financial hardship for the nutjob that did it

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 12:50 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Wow. I thought rec league hockey was just for fun.
Our team is horrible but everyone begs not to be traded because we enjoy it so much.
Your just-for-fun rec league has trades?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Pierre Gotye

This made the local news: http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Hocke...164531376.html

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 08:22 AM
rinkrat22

pretty sweet that team Has Roenick skating left wing for them.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
TUCKER 06

Unreal. The punk who hit him should never be allowed to play hockey again. Ever.

Pretty difficult to enforce that, I imagine. But all local leagues should be given his ID so they can cross reference any applications and deny his registration.

TUCKER 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 10:05 AM
bp spec

This shocked me. What is wrong with people? Hope your friend recovers well.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2012, 11:05 AM
rinkrat22

you know a guy that does that, didn't start at 2 handing people in the face. someone should have stepped up before it got this bad, teammates, league directors, whatever.

hope your bud gets better soon.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:25 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Not related to the guy getting hit with the sick, but is "Polar ice" a chain? There's 3 Polar ice rinks in the Phoenix area, and the outside of all 3 of them is exactlty like the outside of the one in the video.

Same with the inside, down to the pictues hanging on the wall.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 648
I hope your buddy is doing better today. Its crazy how stupid people can be.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Fanned On It

Effing ridiculous. Some people are just literally insane.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:47 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
Not related to the guy getting hit with the sick, but is "Polar ice" a chain? There's 3 Polar ice rinks in the Phoenix area, and the outside of all 3 of them is exactlty like the outside of the one in the video.

Same with the inside, down to the pictues hanging on the wall.
Yes, Polar Ice is a chain. They are in several states I believe.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:43 AM
r3cc0s

funny this thread to come up...

I was playing evening shinny against tutors with a buncha kids varying in skill from Midget house to Jr A...

with the exception of one guy... a younger man, in his 20's of which you could tell was not a strong skater and had a edge to him...

everyone gave him room on the puck to do what he wanted, yet he' would just freak out if the opposing team scored (I mean its shinny and shots on tutors... it doesn't mean anything)
he broke a totalOne, then got mad that he broke his total one

later on, some guy lifts his stick and takes the puck... and he swings at his head

thing is here...
its not that this is "hockey", its that there are crazies like this guy (which I think must have terets as he got dressed quickly, and yelled fck you f ag0tz when he left the change room)

who are out there, and the problem with hockey is that people like them then have the equipment, stick an skate that they will use to express their agression...

its the same kinda guys that are in the papers for violent crimes, that really shoud avoid this game

another thing...
Hockey is a game of emotion, but its the rules and speed allow certain liberty's to be taken, requiring a a higher level of self-governess... as opposed to basketball football or soccer

however, anyone who's played the game (or heck any sport) to any level in minor/jr/sr level, all know that rec non-contact league type games & shinny... are just that and how to maintain focus on the game
In fact I'd say great players in top tier non-contact divisions in top tier leagues, with "acceptable" level of contact, know to remain disciplined... and to focus on the game

its those wannabe low-mid tier players, rocking those pro-star numbers, who seemingly immitate the anti's that they see in the Show... not apparently knowing the difference between doing what it takes to win in the NHL, vs winning in low-level rec

I'm a fair player, but I give things back... I play both in a mid and high tier league in rec these days, and I much prefer the high-tier games...
yes I can do end-to-end rushes and score more points/dangle in my lower league games, but... man some people are idiots, including some one my team.

the other day... this weak skating asshat, comes forechecking in, and has a tendency to hit our d-men to slow down, even if the puck isn't anywhere near. but its not like he's even trying to stop, he puts his elbows out and after a while I know its intentional, and his way to "get space" down low, while not drawing attention as he never is the one carrying the puck in or chasing it.

he's throwing elbows, has no control of his stick, and it appears to, purposely hold his handle to be able to butt-end at will...
I always protect my space down low, and we give it to each other a bit... I'm good cause I'm used to this type of stick and body play... but I'm getting under his skin
he's one of those guys who often lets go of the lower hand on his stick... so I wack the stick out of his hand a couple times (so easy to do cause its like he wasn't paying attention) and
I tell him to keep a strong stick

anyways... we get to the corner, the puck gets lost at his feet, so I pin him to the boards and loose it up for my winger to pick it up...
while I keep him pinned and watch for the puck to loose, he starts using his skates pronger style on my foot

talk about uncalled for... of course the ref's don't see it, but I'm in agony cause he ended up brusing the top of my foot... I beak him, but I can't do anytihng as now my foot felt like it was sprained

I play a clean game, will up the anti-- if its required, but still remain within the rules of the game... some people seriously go buck-**** crazy and do the most insane things

Last edited by r3cc0s: 08-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.
r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote