HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Crosby's trainer: "He's been symptom-free"

Old
08-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 500
Crosby's trainer: "He's been symptom-free"

Awesome listen with Andy O'Brien, Sid's longtime trainer. It sounds like he is ready to dominate again and completely back to pre-concussion status. Can't wait to see him take his spot on the top of the league again!

Quote:
Everything O’Brien has seen from Sid has indicated to him that the Penguins Captain is setting himself up to have another big season and reach another level that we’ve yet to see from him.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/...-symptom-free/

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Til the End of Time

thank god.

weve spent this offseason talking about tangradi, doan, parise, fleury, coaching etc.

but none of that will matter at all if sid isnt healthy.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Beautiful.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:27 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I turned on the FAN, with interview progress, and heard something about someone that could spot an animal a mile away, and determine where they would appear next. haha. I thought it was a hunting show. Then they mentioned that this "someone" had the highest score on a visual acuity test that they had ever seen. Was about to turn the channel, but just then they mentioned Sid. And that is the person they were talking about. Wish I would've heard interview from start.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:28 PM
mpp9

We're gonna witness something special if Sid and Geno are healthy all season. Both at the top of their games and hopefully with legit linemates.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:28 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Nothing unexpected but assuring that it's noted.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:36 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Good to hear.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I turned on the FAN, with interview progress, and heard something about someone that could spot an animal a mile away, and determine where they would appear next. haha. I thought it was a hunting show. Then they mentioned that this "someone" had the highest score on a visual acuity test that they had ever seen. Was about to turn the channel, but just then they mentioned Sid. And that is the person they were talking about. Wish I would've heard interview from start.
The whole interview's available on a clip in the OP's link, homeskillet.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:42 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
The whole interview's available on a clip in the OP's link, homeskillet.
Nice, thanks.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 09:52 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Great news. It felt like every summer Sid would work on one big thing.
2009 it was his shot, came back and scored 51 goals.
Then he wanted to work on his quickness in 2010 and it showed as he scored 66 points in 41 games until he had his concussion.
Last summer he was basically in healing mode and was just trying to get rid of the symptoms.

This summer he can actually get back to training and improving. In his comeback last season Sid put up amazing points but you could tell he didn't quite have his shot timing back and he got too tired after the first half of the game. If he can just play ~80 games everything will fall into place.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Anyone want to wager a guess at what kind of numbers a healthy Sid will put up this year barring any injury, no lockout AND having Kunitz and Duper as his lineys?

My guess 53g 72a..

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Von Malkin*

Well that's great to hear, finally some positive news this offseason

Von Malkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Jacob

Cool.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:54 PM
dogthateats

Crosby > Adams

dogthateats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:59 PM
PensFan6687

I'll believe it when I see it. Like when Mario always would say, "I am in the best shape of my life!"

Not to be a debbie downer, but I am a strong believer that actions speak louder than words. The actions will be what he does this season. I hope for the best, and no I won't say I expect the w....

I do hope for the best. After all, this is my team and he's our best player. No slight to Malkin, who is amazing. Boy is this team blessed.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:15 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Like when Mario always would say, "I am in the best shape of my life!"
Agreed. I don't want to be a Debbie downer either, but I am definitely holding my breath on Sid. The one recurring sound bite about his concussion that I have trouble believing is, "he is no more or less prone to sustaining another concussion than a person who has never had a serious concussion before." Until Sid's concussion, the common refrain I'd heard about concussions was the exact opposite.

Moreover, even Sid's doctors have conceded that it is extremely bad for any person to sustain "back-to-back" concussions. They've said that if a player tries to play through a concussion and then is concussed again, it can be a serious problem. This shocked me given that this seems to be EXACTLY what happened to Sid (i.e. he sustained a concussion - even if it was a mild one - during the Winter Classic and then the Hedman hit really did him in). I couldn't believe that nobody else brought this up. It seems evident that the Hedman hit only took Sid out of the lineup for the rest of the season because he sustained it immediately after the Winter Classic hit.

With ALL of that said, I obviously hope that Sid is miraculously unaffected on a long-term basis by all of this and that he re-assumes his position atop the scoring race playing many-a-healthy full season going forward

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:28 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Hopefully this is true.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:47 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

As soon as they figured out it was something screwed up with his vertebrae or whatever, he's been completely fine since. They figured that out and he came back quickly. I think that's what's held him back. Not that he was having these symptoms because of the concussion but because of the vertebrae crap that was going on.

ThosePuckingPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 11:57 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogthateats View Post
Crosby > Adams
DB says 'get out'.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 04:21 AM
NutCracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Anyone want to wager a guess at what kind of numbers a healthy Sid will put up this year barring any injury, no lockout AND having Kunitz and Duper as his lineys?

My guess 53g 72a..
If he plays all 82 games then yeah, something like that is certainly possible.

My guess is 80GP, 48g-77a

NutCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post

My guess 53g 72a..
Over 120 points in 2012 would be amazing...Malkin playing with Neal could have maybe scored 120 if he played the full season last year..Sid plays with no hands Dupuis and Kunitz.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

to get 120 we will need the powerplay going on all cylinders

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
to get 120 we will need the powerplay going on all cylinders
Yeah. They should give Sid and Geno each own PP unit like they briefly did last season. I dont know why, but the PP seems to be worse when Sid plays on it

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:20 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Agreed. I don't want to be a Debbie downer either, but I am definitely holding my breath on Sid. The one recurring sound bite about his concussion that I have trouble believing is, "he is no more or less prone to sustaining another concussion than a person who has never had a serious concussion before." Until Sid's concussion, the common refrain I'd heard about concussions was the exact opposite.

Moreover, even Sid's doctors have conceded that it is extremely bad for any person to sustain "back-to-back" concussions. They've said that if a player tries to play through a concussion and then is concussed again, it can be a serious problem. This shocked me given that this seems to be EXACTLY what happened to Sid (i.e. he sustained a concussion - even if it was a mild one - during the Winter Classic and then the Hedman hit really did him in). I couldn't believe that nobody else brought this up. It seems evident that the Hedman hit only took Sid out of the lineup for the rest of the season because he sustained it immediately after the Winter Classic hit.

With ALL of that said, I obviously hope that Sid is miraculously unaffected on a long-term basis by all of this and that he re-assumes his position atop the scoring race playing many-a-healthy full season going forward
They weren't necessarily back to back concussions. The Hedman hit caused an injury with Crosby's vertebrae, but he was misdiagnosed, which is why it took so long for Sid to recover.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:20 AM
JTG

If we could get a guy who could really work our powerplay from the left wall, and a guy who has a shot over there...I think Sid and Geno both could be in the 100 point range.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote