HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

7 million in Cap Space

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-03-2012, 07:34 PM
  #76
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Wouldn't it be something to just toss a bag of money out there and get 60 points?
It would have to be made of mostly $1 bills so that the sack stands more than 6' tall and the rest can be coins so its not as soft as most of the team.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:47 PM
  #77
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Isn't Porter a Rochester signing?
He may be slotted for the Amerks but I think Regier definitely saw his NHL experience and flashes of offensive ability as a better option for promotion over Ellis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
depends on years... 1-2 yrs, then you are correct.

if it's long term it's probably closer to 4.

I went with something in the middle
Regier said he didn't envision a long-term deal being done for Ennis - which, to me, sounds like anything more than 3 years. Personally, I anticipate Ennis getting the same 3-year term as Kaleta just did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Technically correct. More generically: Regier has a dynamic offensive center and a good two-way center. He might think he has the same again.
IIRC, Hodgson was mediocre in his defensive assignments both in Vancouver and Buffalo - albeit, as a rookie, he admittedly has an adjustment period to NHL play and learning ahead of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Say they went and grabbed Arnott or another vet center. How would the centers play out through the year? Would Arnott be 3rd or 4th? Where would that put Cody McCormick? Or would they just put Ott at the wing?
In one of the other threads, there were a few options predicted for a bruiser/ agitator being put on each line. My hunch would be -barring any future trades - that, if Arnott or Langkow are signed, the F-E-S line starts out intact; Ott flanks Hodgson and Vanek; and Arnott/Langkow would be the expected grit guy teamed with Pominville and Leino.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I guess I don't understand why it's a stretch to compare 1 pair and not the other...

it seems the criteria for comparing Ennis/Briere was a simplistic style of play comparison... while the criteria for comparing Hodgson/Drury is a much more detailed threshold

Maybe 'tip can clarify for me?
In hindsight, what I wrote makes me guilty as charged - but my point was primarily based on the traits that Briere/Drury were known for, compared to what Ennis/Hodgson have shown of those same traits. The clutch goal remark was off-base since I wasn't trying to evoke statistical comparisons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its way too soon to say one way or another what NHL qualities Hodgson may have, let alone in relation to Drury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I can't speak for Sabretip. Here's my position: I think the Briere-Ennis and Drury-Hodgson comparisons are valid. I took his argument as a break. Eg: slow down, he's not Drury yet. And I agreed. Though I do believe that if both develop, they'll be close comparisons.

For me, the comparisons aren't statistically based. It was style of play, role on the team. I'm all for the stats comparisons, though, and I didn't realize Hodgson and Drury were that close statistically.
....but rather this is exactly what I clumsily tried to say.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
  #78
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out
 
ManuelCalavera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Wouldn't it be something to just toss a bag of money out there and get 60 points?
Yah, everyone would love him until Lindy got his hands on him. Ruff wouldnt it the icetime that other $7,000,000 sacks get around the league.

ManuelCalavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
  #79
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker
 
VaporTrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Vanek - 7,000,000 - Tropp
Leino - Hodgson - Pominville
Foligno - Ennis - Stafford
Ott - McCormick - Kaleta
Gerbe

There's your #1 center folks.
Um, I think you might want to bump Tropp down 2 or 3 lines lower

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2012, 10:55 PM
  #80
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Um, I think you might want to bump Tropp down 2 or 3 lines lower
Incoming 8 millionth post about how ruff roles three lines and we dont use a number 1. Since Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp only played about 20 games together last season not sure how you can argue he wouldn't play on that line agains (if he makes the roster, I think he will).

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:57 AM
  #81
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Fair enough. There are differences. The biggest difference being "yet," as in Hodgson hasn't done what Drury did yet.

But they are similar enough to compare them, as well.
I think we are mostly in agreement and are talking past each other now.

I share your opinion that Hodgson has shown some Drury like qualities and I feel he can develop into a similar type of player.

My issue was with this comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
While Ennis certainly has similar creativity, size and shiftiness to Briere, comparing Hodgson to Drury is a stretch. Even during Drury's early years, he demonstrated leadership qualities and clutch ability. Hodgson hasn't shown either consistently....yet.

My point was its unfair to compare Drury's early NHL years to Hodgson's to this point of his career because they aren't really comparable situations. Plus going forward they wont really be in comparable situations. I'm not talking about their traits as players.

1) Drury earned his NHL rep in his first 4 seasons in the NHL as a 22-25 year old. Hodgson is 22 and is just now entering that phase of his career.

2) Drury developed that rep as a secondary player (3rd line center) over 4 years on one of the best teams in the NHL playing behind two hall of fame centers (Sakic/Forsberg) and on teams loaded with leadership. Hodgson in the next phase of his career will be asked to be a top 6 center and a young leader. Something Drury never had to do in his first 4 seasons with the talent and leadership those Avalanche teams had.

Basically Hodgson has a much bigger task ahead of him than Drury did at a similar point of his career. That means he will likely experience more noticable hiccups in his development in these next few years than Drury did at the same time in his career. Meaning those that want to further criticize the idea that they are comparable players will have more ammo to work with. Even though its not entirely fair and the situations are different.

Ironically if Hodgson had stayed in Vancouver he would have been in a somewhat similar situation to the one Drury had in his first 4 years.


Last edited by joshjull: 08-04-2012 at 10:04 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:43 AM
  #82
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 11,207
vCash: 500
A lot of Drurys praise of having unbelievable "leadership" qualities ect. derived from his celebrity like status after winning the Little League World Series for Trumbull, Conn .

By the time he reached the Avs he had already accomplished a lot .. the fact that the Avs were one of the best teams in the league and won the Stanley Cup just reinforced the thinking that Chris Drury was a "winner" ..

Not saying he didn't earn that praise I just think the Little League title helped intensify that praise.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:30 PM
  #83
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
A lot of Drurys praise of having unbelievable "leadership" qualities ect. derived from his celebrity like status after winning the Little League World Series for Trumbull, Conn .

By the time he reached the Avs he had already accomplished a lot .. the fact that the Avs were one of the best teams in the league and won the Stanley Cup just reinforced the thinking that Chris Drury was a "winner".
At the NHL level, he helped earn the "winner" label because he played a big role in the Avs' Cup win in 2001 - it wasn't a case of him riding on the coattails of an established winning team or being along for the ride to get a ring.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 06:48 PM
  #84
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 11,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
At the NHL level, he helped earn the "winner" label because he played a big role in the Avs' Cup win in 2001 - it wasn't a case of him riding on the coattails of an established winning team or being along for the ride to get a ring.

Like I said... Im not saying he didn't earn it. But the narrative was already written before 2001.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 07:28 PM
  #85
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
If Gillis lets Edler out of Vancouver, he'll have more than just tape over his mouth to worry about. More like being curb-stomped by Canuck faithful.
There's that word "let" again. Gillis can't MAKE him sign there. Even if he offers him $100M per year, Edler doesn't have to sign. Do I think Edler will go to free agency? No. I think he's happy there. But I think the terminology used by posters is wrong.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:25 PM
  #86
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
There's that word "let" again. Gillis can't MAKE him sign there. Even if he offers him $100M per year, Edler doesn't have to sign. Do I think Edler will go to free agency? No. I think he's happy there. But I think the terminology used by posters is wrong.
Nothing like a semantics argument to get the blood flowing even though you know exactly what the poster meant. The terminology is exactly the same as any July 2 post that gets posted. "Darcy let Briere and Drury leave." It happens yet we are all quite aware that wasn't about letting them leave. If Edler makes it to free agency without Gillis giving him a reasonable contract then he will have "let" him go and Canuck fans will tar and feather him. If he offers 8mil for 6 seasons then Edler dragged him kicking and screaming ad Canuck fans will be pissed at Edler.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 08:52 PM
  #87
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,675
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
There's that word "let" again. Gillis can't MAKE him sign there. Even if he offers him $100M per year, Edler doesn't have to sign. Do I think Edler will go to free agency? No. I think he's happy there. But I think the terminology used by posters is wrong.
No, he can't "make" Edler do anything. That doesn't mean that he isn't going to do everything within his power to secure Edler's choice is Vancouver prior to July 1st of 2013.

Or do we need to split another hair about terminology?

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:07 PM
  #88
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Look back further in the thread and you'll see a Vancouver fan using the word "let." I'm fairly certain he thinks Gillis has the power to keep Edler there.
Split hairs? Fine, but if/when you're misunderstood you'll know why.

Frankly, I don't care what word you use, but I'm going to have to believe you know what words you're typing and use what YOU put down as your meaning. And if you knew what you meant, they why did you use the word "let" to begin with? Why not just use words to convey what you mean?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:19 PM
  #89
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Look back further in the thread and you'll see a Vancouver fan using the word "let." I'm fairly certain he thinks Gillis has the power to keep Edler there.
Split hairs? Fine, but if/when you're misunderstood you'll know why.

Frankly, I don't care what word you use, but I'm going to have to believe you know what words you're typing and use what YOU put down as your meaning. And if you knew what you meant, they why did you use the word "let" to begin with? Why not just use words to convey what you mean?
I use the word "let" as in: "Gillis will do everything in his power to keep Edler". I understand that Edler cannot be FORCED to stay. If you want to continue nitpick my choice of words, then go ahead.

You're really splitting hairs in hopes that Edler will come play with Ehrhoff...

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 09:45 PM
  #90
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
I use the word "let" as in: "Gillis will do everything in his power to keep Edler". I understand that Edler cannot be FORCED to stay. If you want to continue nitpick my choice of words, then go ahead.

You're really splitting hairs in hopes that Edler will come play with Ehrhoff...
You're confusing people again. I never said I thought he'd play in Buffalo. I actually think he'll re-sign in Van. But I DO think he'll make it through the season without signing.
And it isn't my fault that I took you at the words you used. Use the correct words then.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:00 PM
  #91
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
You're confusing people again. I never said I thought he'd play in Buffalo. I actually think he'll re-sign in Van. But I DO think he'll make it through the season without signing.
And it isn't my fault that I took you at the words you used. Use the correct words then.
Enlighten me on the proper use of vocabulary then.

I was merely responding to a post which had Edler in the Sabres lineup, stating that it was near impossible for that to happen.

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 10:59 PM
  #92
Imlach a cup
Registered User
 
Imlach a cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Enlighten me on the proper use of vocabulary then.

I was merely responding to a post which had Edler in the Sabres lineup, stating that it was near impossible for that to happen.
Good thing you didn't say "can you enlighten me". You would get a yes and then the post would end.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2012, 11:49 PM
  #93
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Enlighten me on the proper use of vocabulary then.

I was merely responding to a post which had Edler in the Sabres lineup, stating that it was near impossible for that to happen.
Really now? Unlikely, sure. Near impossible? /headdesk.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 12:00 AM
  #94
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Good thing you didn't say "can you enlighten me". You would get a yes and then the post would end.
I feel like I'm in a law class right now

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2012, 04:11 PM
  #95
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,695
vCash: 500
Ugh...this is all my fault for typing my faint hope of Edler joining the Sabres. I don't care how unlikely it is, for now it's as possible as signing any other UFA next summer. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 12:57 AM
  #96
Girgenburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
I want Briere back. Dude's still got some sick hands. Still a top line center at almost 35. It would be a better move than signing Doan.


Leino-Briere-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Kaleta-McCormick-Tropp

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:06 AM
  #97
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 13,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I want Briere back. Dude's still got some sick hands. Still a top line center at almost 35. It would be a better move than signing Doan.


Leino-Briere-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Kaleta-McCormick-Tropp
Uhhh...OK? What do you suggest, we just call Philly and ask if they'll give him to us? Screw it, why not just grab Crosby?


Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:09 AM
  #98
Girgenburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Uhhh...OK? What do you suggest, we just call Philly and ask if they'll give him to us? Screw it, why not just grab Crosby?

they've got giroux, schenn, couturier and talbot. they're in desperate need of defense. their weakness is our strength. we have arguably 9 or 10 NHL ready defensemen. why not flip them some combo of sekera and/or leopold and a pick for briere?

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 01:36 AM
  #99
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
they've got giroux, schenn, couturier and talbot. they're in desperate need of defense. their weakness is our strength. we have arguably 9 or 10 NHL ready defensemen. why not flip them some combo of sekera and/or leopold and a pick for briere?
Well besides the fact that Briere has a NTC and won't move b/c his kids can't leave NJ, he's on the latter side of playing age and most of the Sabres are younger.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2012, 05:59 AM
  #100
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
they've got giroux, schenn, couturier and talbot. they're in desperate need of defense. their weakness is our strength. we have arguably 9 or 10 NHL ready defensemen. why not flip them some combo of sekera and/or leopold and a pick for briere?

No thanks. I would not offer that much for a 35 year old 3rd line center....

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.